Flames of War: How do we fit that in a list? edition

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/
Panzerfunk questions: docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOBxEJbNzS_Ec7I76zQmCU9P7o0C5bAgcXriKQ4bOWBp4QkA/viewform

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

What actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Do you play TANKS? what is the local scene / meta like? (multi)
strawpoll.me/12127794/r

Soviet Brainstorming Batalon Discord
discord.gg/BfbxDSp

Other urls found in this thread:

wwpd.net/2012/05/what-are-those-red-and-white-poles-for.html?m=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well, I figure it's been long enough, and I've actually done some additions.

Applique Armor v0.65, now with Ram Badgers, Locust Littlejohns, and some rules stuff for Ram Kangaroos and Littlejohn adaptors. Dragoons (motor platoons can drop out of transports and shoot at full RoF) has been removed due to a lack of historical basis, 8 tradesmen has been clarified, Medium Artillery Support got a bit of a points increase, and the Tip and Run rule for Archers got a flat cost.

Importantly, this if for V3, it is not updated for V4 and will not be for some time. For those not familiar, it's split into three sections (new options/equipment, Funnies, and special rules), in decreasing order of my confidence in their balance.

As before, any and all feedback or criticism (as long as it's actually saying something in addition to "u r a fgt") is welcome.

When will psc do a t72? I want

The BF one is quite good. As is the Zvezda one.

Why specifically are you looking for a T-72 from PSC?

Bevause they will do the export versions in the kit in addition they will be cheaper than bf.

Potentially.

Honestly, if the T-55 does well enough for them, I expect that they'll go after another popular Team Yankee tank that Battlefront made in resin, the Leopard 1.

Or perhaps even try to beat Battlefront to the punch on the M60.

Hey guys looking into flames of war v4 and team yankee to make my jump into the battlefront product line. Normally a bolt action guy but looking for a game more conducive to larger fights.

Think this fits the bill I'm looking for?

It should.

The battles in Flames of War and Team Yankee are between several platoons of vehicles, infantry, and guns.

Games have a large, grand feel to them.

Sounds good to me user I'm gonna look into it further.

I hear problems from these very threads though that the designers buy into stereotypes quite heavily. Is that true?

What specifically are you looking to find out?

We're glad to answer any questions you might have.

Regarding the Churchill OP tanks, a more historically accurate representation would be that they replace the original OP team/vehicle for any field artillery or field artillery SP battery that is taken in a force containing a tank company with Churchills.

The reason being that the tank was provided with just a few crew members, none of them trained in artillery observation, and the battery's OP team was meant to ride in it if they were providing support fire for the tank brigade. Same thing happened with Sherman OP tanks, they were also basically rides for the battery's OP team that were provided by the armoured regiment, rather than the tank coming from the battery itself.

Yes and no.

Typically the stereotypes are presented as helpful in game rules, or help to define the play style of one nation compared to another.

This typically means that the Germans have smaller more elite forces and very powerful vehicles, whereas the Soviets tend to have larger less elite troops.

The stereotyping typically works the worst for the Soviets where there is a lack of good information available in English, so the Communist Hordes theme is the default.

Yeah, I was debating between the two methods, and wasn't sure if they had their own trained observers or took some of the battery's for a ride. I'll swap it over to that for accuracy.

What's the average point level the games are played out for standard flames of war for say late war and what are the standard point levels for a team yankee game? How expensive is it to get to this level of play?

Really like the like look of team yankee especially and having the book in my hands for it the system seems good enough for me but I'm really just trying to persuade a friend to get into it even though he seems to be more interested in ww2 then ww3.

That's the only thing I don't like about it. Seems like the slavs and especially their allies in FoW and TY get the shaft.

>What's the average point level the games are played out for standard flames of war for say late war
Late war the average points level is around 1500 points. Early war is about the same. Thanks to the new release of V4, Mid War now has 100 points for the recommended average game (Mid war has been adapted to new point values, but Late and Early war have not).
>and what are the standard point levels for a team yankee game?
70-100 points, depending on local group. Some places with an abundance of WARPAC are going towards the lower end because the board starts getting really crowded at 100.
>How expensive is it to get to this level of play?
Well, I can't speak for the other eras, but Late War you can get a complete British Paratrooper army that's about 1400 points for a bit over $50, by going through Plastic Soldier Company. Generally you can't get a full 1500 list in two boxes like that, but you can get a good number of armies to 1500 or more for around $100 if you get PSC or Zvezda plastics. PSC is pretty good quality, fighting with Battlefront's official stuff, while Zvezda is doing relatively little to stop stereotypes of russians as making the cheap and cheerful stuff (though their new King Tiger set is apparently excellent). Prices climb rapidly as you need more resin and metal models, which have prices on the order of $12 per tank instead of $6 per tank.

April 8th:
The crew for my guns is almost completed, but weekend RPGs have taken their toll on my ability to fully complete them. They still need few more paints to be completely done, but are at tabletop level now.

>Generally you can't get a full 1500 list in two boxes like that
Any german big cat list with plastic tanks, Fallschirmjaeger, almost any FV list that has plastic kits. Probably also US armor, since you can just spam a bunch of 76mm Shermans and then swap the turrets once your collection expands.

Absolute madman

Very nice work on those!

>13_of_36
I dare you to post them all.

There's actually only three in the folder, I just never changed the filenames. I do have about that many Churchill pics, but that's on my comp and I'm at work right now.

Thanks, they still need the webbing to be painted Khaki and for a few other misc details, but they're closer to done than the other 204 of them.

>204 more infantry miniatures still to paint.

You are an absolute mad man.

Admittedly, I only need to paint 151 of them to have the actually fieldable part done. Still a lot, but more reasonable than the full 204.

>151 better than 204

That's still a lot to do.

Haven't you heard of pacing yourself?

That's why I'm doing it in platoon sized chunks instead of all at once. It's only barely pacing, but it's helped more than trying to do all them at once (in two weeks) did.

You should have seen Marqod in the discord. Dude did most of a british and german force for MW in a weekend.

Oh, we have a Discord now? I've been out of the game for a while and just got back in for V4

Yeah, it started out as a "lets make some snowflake russian lists" thing, but then it just turned into a place to talk about stuff. It's at the bottom of the OP.

Ah. Ok.

That certainly does make more sense than just trying to do it all at once.

Hey guys looking at buying into team yankee. Can I get a point value for each of the starters? Wanna buy two comparable forces.

Oh and what are the next additions to the game? Hope the french are getting added.

Bannon's Boys

Charlie's Chieftains
36 - 41

Kampfgruppe Muller

Potecknov's Bears
44 (Red Banner)
31 (Volksarmee)

Hello I just put together 1 list ever in V4

I want to play 100 points of Africa Korps

6 Panzer IV (2xhq with long) = 44 pts
2 stukas (to deal with enemy arty) = 9 pts
1 8.8 cm (to freek out enemy and not role lone test) = 6 pts
4x 10.5 Arty (because arty is the king) = 14 pts

I need a build for inf company
HQ - 2 pts
2 paks - 8 pts

That laves 17 pts all together - I can get 2 smaller platoons of inf for 12 and then go to town with 5 points

What would be better - 2 small AA trucks to cover inf and tanks in first turns or mortars and carabines for inf ?

Maybe the AA. But that depends on how much people are using aircraft in your area.

Do you mind fully writing out your list?

Because I don't think you're building a legal list there.

It looks legal, the 6 panzers are for a Pz IV Tank Company, with 2 in HQ and 2 platoons of 2 tanks each. The only thing missing is the two infantry platoons needed for the infantry company in order to be legal.

Personally I'm wary of fielding tiny tank companies, and would recommend either increasing the platoons to 3 tanks each, or ditching the tank company altogether and just having a full-strength tank platoon as support if you're strapped on points. Alternatively you could downgrade to Pz IIIs instead to free up some points, as the Pz III is a totally viable panzer in the mid-war period.

Seconding this. In MidWar it looks like Panzer IIIs (of any variety) are meant to be the primary German tank.

Also, to add further, it looks like a 'Little bit of Everything' list, which often don't do that well in FoW. While I haven't played v4 yet, from what I recall of the rules you'll want full-sized combat unit platoons whenever possible, as otherwise they're fragile and prone to fleeing, and if they all flee the board then your whole force will go with them.

The problem with Germans that most new players face is that all their stuff costs so much, so you're forced to make trade offs and make due without all the stuff you wanted.

Thanks for all advices - I think I start to better grasp FoW. I wanted to have 2 formations (as opposed to only support) and use the strenght of germans (which is amongst other thing good morale rating). If I would have to throw some thing out it would probably be Stukas as thay kind of do the same thing as Arty.

I heard that Infantry in German list in mid war should not assault ever because British are far better at it (with better countercharge rating) and in German list you should only take 2 platoons for diging in and holding some valuable spot.

I also know that in mid I will be swamped by british tanks - but I think playing to my strenght would be using range for as long as I can and funneling them to kill zones. I think I will try to mingle with Panzer III (I would be able to get 8 of them) and Panzer IV and learn from looses. I realy like combined approach armys - maybe I should then wait for USA mid war ? What do you think ?

April 9th: The 6 pdr, 17pdr, and PIAT teams are 100% done. Tomorrow begins the first airlanding platoon.

Honest question.
With the success of Team Yankee would you like to see other major conflicts (both real and theoretical) Made into a game? We already have Vietnam, WW1 and the Six Day War getting a revamp and rumours of the Yom-Kippur War but what about the Korean War or a theoretical Second Korean War set in the early to mid 90s? What of Modern times conflicts such as a theoretical war in 2015?

French and Poles are rumored to be next, with the French likely being the NATO spam nation.

Wargame: Red Dragon the board game. I'd be down for it.

I dread to think how spammy the Poles will be.

1 pt T-72s with AT 10 on the main gun because they didn't have enough gunpowder to make the shells more powerful and Armour 9 all over due to Polish steel being not quite there yet and ERA not being trusted by this one officer I read about, not to mention cross 5+ and hit on 2+ because of soviet tactics that relied on the enemy running out of ammo before you ran out of people as demonstrated in the historical film "Enemy at the Gates" which is all based on a true story.

Cheers.

Wargame: Red Dragon?

A video game.

Incidentally, /wgg/ is back up on Veeky Forums

I'm expecting same skill and motivation as the Soviets, but hit on 2+ with the T-72M and T-55AM.

The Marida won't even be mentioned.

Battlefront hasn't mentioned the Poles or the French aside from the , "yeah we'll do that eventually."

The next big releases are books expanding the Soviet and US forces. Battlefront has also mentioned Australians with an attachment of Kiwi Scorpians (the only way they could put New Zealand in the game). Canadians will likely also be released sometime soon as most their vehicles are already in production.

That's the reason i wanted to start team yankee
Sadly having trouble getting my current friends into team yankee or any wargames in general and i met them all through playing 40K

Hey guys, I'm converting over from being a 40k scrub and I've got some of the new mid-war stuff. My FLGS had some desert rats stuff in a bargain bin but I've discovered that it's not actually plastic; is it old stuff that predates the switch? Also what the hell is it?

Also do they have that shitty metal that needs scrubbing with a toothbrush or is it fine out of a packet?

All the metal figs from battlefront were decent and needed next to no clean up but might depend on how old they are.

What's the absolute bare minimum I would need to get myself and a friend set up to try the game using the Great War miniatures. Would an infantry platoon and tank platoon be enough to give us a taste of the game without investing a lot of money?

If it's something you might describe as black, dark blue or grey then it's resin. Just give it a wash in warm soapy water and it'll be fine to paint after priming.

You'll be able to learn the rules but I don't think it'll be very fun with such a small platoon count.
It's more than the bare minimum but have a look for the Biltz's Battlegroup and Mitchell's Marauders army boxes as they have pretty much every you need and if you are lucky you might be able to find them cheap.

They probably won't touch anything after 1991 to avoid political shitshows, but they did say they planned on doing a "Late war" period after 1985.

Falklands war supplement when

Oh, shit. Is it toxic to handle?

No, you only have to worry if you're sanding it down and not using a mask.

Does that mean you should use hobby knives to cut flash away instead or is it just a bad idea to abrade the surface without protection at all?

No armour and armour is where you make your money

The one I'm interested in, which BF have said they're doing is "Bush War". Basically Africa between 1950 and 1980.

There are loads of cool things you can do with that, and the only other rival system I can think of is AK47 Republic

Knives are fine, it's resin powder that's not good to inhale.

15mm Rhodesians with fals in short shorts

North Africans firing MILAN from the bull-bars of their technicals

ANY kind of abrasive or cutting is going to generate dust and release organic vapours which are seriously bad for your lungs and potentially brain. For anything more than rinsing it under a tap and maybe a little scrubbing with a plastic-bristle toothbrush wear a mask.

What are those white and red bars that you can see on german artilley?

Ranging markers, IIRC.

wwpd.net/2012/05/what-are-those-red-and-white-poles-for.html?m=1

Thanks for the link, very informative.

I'd like to see the Falklands and the Gulf War.

It depends on how modern they want to go.

Team Yankee is set only 5 or 6 years before Operation Desert Storm.

Has anyone run a British Motor Company? I'm looking at the Canadian version from Market Garden. The next tournament here is going to be roughly 1500 points and I have to say making a list for them is pretty hard.

Also, the rocket launcher rules are weird now. Say I am running a Land Matress battery with those Canadians, and they only have one rocket left somehow. They still use the 12" by 12" template, because the rules only check whether you count as 4+ teams or not when handing out fuckhuge templates. The actual number of teams is nearly irrelevant for rocket launchers.

Well, once they add Challenger's they're pretty much done. The Abrams has the 120mm gun on the frame and we already have T-72's.

The only thing they probably weren't going to add to TY is Iraqi troops.

T-72Ms, but even worse, the Republican Guard, ostensibly the 'Elite' Iraqi unit, where still using Mild Steel Training ammo in combat. And the vast majority of their ammo was a round that the Soviets had withdrawn sometime ago even by the eighties.

>The only thing they probably weren't going to add to TY is Iraqi troops.
They've pegged the Soviets at about that level anyway, so it's not much change.

>And the vast majority of their ammo was a round that the Soviets had withdrawn sometime ago even by the eighties.
Almost all of it; a general trend of third-world armies is that they have whatever the soviets had two generations back.

Hey guys rookie to TY but is it just more does the game seem super anti soviet? They're whole shtick seems to be hordes of shit instead of being a comparable force.

It's historically accurate to the fighting capabilities of the Soviets at that period of time, as seen in historical documentary Enemy At The Gates.

Cheers.

Can you see the enemy, commander?

WE HAVE T-72 SIGN THE LIKES OF WHICH EVEN GOD HAS NEVER SEEN.

I unironically intend to run this list at a tournament. The idea is to drop DOUBLE DOMINOS DELIVERY via AOP onto either the forces guarding the objective when attacking, or enemy arty when defending. In all honesty the mortars exist largely to make my rifles not so tiny. How fucked should I be?

You're playing Canadians. As long as you remain humble and polite, no one can stop your onslaught.
I approve.

dude, what are you to be afraid of unground resin? do not make me rub an old resin hull all over my dick and take pictures to embolden you....

>this has become a meme.
let's stop before we make some random namefag buy 500 usd of Soviets and begin whipping the shit out of people with them.

>before we make some random namefag buy 500 usd of Soviets
The fact this would be necessary is part of the issue.

I did whip Birdy Yesterday. Hinds went through fifteen shots and I managed to stick Spirals up the backs of His Leopards.

I actually do play Soviets(not very well) in Team Yankee, and while they are a bit weak against the British and West Germans, they feel about right compared to the Americans that they were originally released alongside.

While I'm certainly not going to drop $500 on them, I am certainly going to try and show people that Soviets and East Germans are not just the faceless horde NPC factions.

Can you guys help me make a cohesive argument against this notion then? Really trying to sell the game to a friend. Really partial to team yankee as I like the idea of ww3 more then just another ww2 game as I already play bolt action.

It would be spammy as fuck, but I'd like to see the Polish 7th Naval brigade included somehow, with Topas-2AP APCs and PT-76Bs. Could be fun, but only with plastic kits, 50 point lists and large maps.

Now THAT would be fun. Gimme Cuban T-62 based and South African wheeled armor decks.

I don't know, you can talk about the BMP efficiency, or the Hind based airmobile unit, or about the upcoming arrival of the T-64B (or was it T-80B?) which maaaaybe won't be as bad as the T-72A.

And yeah, as some anons were saying, take some AT value from the T-72M1 and you get a good Asad Babil tank lel.

This is going to sound counter-intuitive, but honestly, embrace the spam.

Soviets and East Germans need the larger numbers to fight on an equal footing with any of the NATO forces in the game.

BMP units are good, but high model count.

T-72s are good, but you really need to outnumber the NATO tanks 2 to 1.

Hinds and Frogfoots are great, but you need to be wary of enemy AA units, especially West German Gepards, Rolands, and Redeyes.

The units themselves aren't bad.

You just typically have to field them in combination in decent numbers.

I'm still trying to find that correct balance myself, but I know that trying to use them in small NATO style units doesn't really work for the Soviets.

So do you guys think I could get away with not painting camo on my infantry for TY? Verhicles I think I can handle, but that fine of detail(that youxll probably never notice when playing) on those small of dudes just seems both silly and daunting.

Or is that asking for a sperglord attack?

>Hinds and Frogfoots are great, but you need to be wary of enemy AA units, especially West German Gepards,

Except if this happens where the Hinds take one loss from fifteen shots. I think poor Birdy must be starting to dread the sound of Hind Blades.

I think both players dread the sound of Hind blades. The enemy because they're deadly, the commies because their oversized butts just broke YET AGAIN.

April 10th:
Some work's been done on the first Airlanding platoon. Tomorrow should be finishing the smocks, and maybe also getting to the webbing if I do better than I usually do.

Doing about 30 minis at a time, with 20 days left, I will finish on time if I average four days a batch. I'm aiming for three days a batch, so that I'll have plenty of time to go back and fix mistakes or add extra detail.

The magnets are snapping off of the base of the rotor blades because of how cold it's been.

3 pc, 1 not.

Anyone want to extrapolate what the Merida's stats would be?

Nice models. .. though by the time Jagdpanthers entered service, a swatstika flag would have been like a large flashing neon sign saying "please shoot me".

>swastika flags post-43

How'd you do the tracks?

Also something something swastika flag

I'd be okay with it, but would also encourage you to give it a go. I think it seems more intimidating then it actually is in practice. Base green, dab some sand splotches, dab some chocolate brown splotches, you can cover a bit of the sand, and finish with black splotches(flatten out an old brush to do these since they are a bit narrower). In general you can make the blotches larger than scale so you get the impression of a camo pattern when they are on the table. I don't even think you have to worry about putting camo too close to the webbing.

You don't see too many pictures of British grunts without DPM during this era, and I think the final effect would make you happier with them on the table.