Modern General

Amonkhet edition Nothing's playable except Gideon

Playing?

Hating?

Brewing?

Why won't they print playable spells for modern?

What do you want to be a viable archetype in Modern?

What could they print to further that archetype?

How do you feel about the meta right now?

Have you ever beat DSJ? Don't lie now :^)

Favorite shitbrew to stomp?

Think DSJ will get something banned for "competitive diversity"

How do you feel about Bolt snap bolt?

I for one welcome our new DSJ overlords

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/478349#paper
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>gideon
>playable

Based on Veeky Forums's overwhelmingly negative reaction to new Gids, he's going to end up warping the format.

first for fish

Soul Sisters or Martyr-Proc?

Martyr Proc

I think Martyr Proc is cooler, it's like a prison deck in Modern

>Playing?
I've been playing G/B Tron a lot lately. After the one Scapeshift guy left my meta and with Probe banned my meta basically became entirely midrange and rogue brews.
>Hating?
Nothing in particular. I'm pretty happy with were the format is at right now.
>Brewing?
Defenders. I have a G/W list that can win by turn 4 if it isn't disrupted. If it does get disrupted, the decks efficient blockers can usually stall out the game long enough to hold out and win one way or another, even if that is by beating face with Tree of Redemption + Assault Formation. The decks biggest weakness was that it folded to boardwipes, but with the printing of Heroic Intervention, I have a way of reliably dealing with that.
>What do you want to be a viable archetype in Modern?
Treefolk. Easily one of my favorite casual archtypes.
>What could they print to further that archetype?
More resilient creatures, I guess.
>How do you feel about the meta right now?
It's pretty okay.
>Have you ever beat DSJ? Don't lie now :^)
Never played against it.
>Favorite shitbrew to stomp?
This guy at my LGS brings his R/B shitbrew every week, and every week it's a free win. It's like he's trying to play a midrange game without any midrange threats. His deck is so light on pressure that I could literally play a fair game and not slam a Karn until turn 7 and STILL beat him.
>Think DSJ will get something banned for "competitive diversity"
Who knows? I dare not inquire into the dark, twisted mind of those that wield the banhammer.
>How do you feel about Bolt snap bolt?
Is that what we're calling burn these days?

I don't think he'll make much of a splash in modern while DSJ is king.
He'll keep the dream of dominating standard alive for AoZ, though

Soul Sisters, there are more qt's to waifu in it.

How's it feel knowing your format will be dead in a few years? :^)

Feels legacy man

Frontier would have had to been successful for that

Did wizards even try with frontier yet?
Honestly I think the biggest thing they could do to revive modern is reprint fetches in something other than MM. But why would they want people to play modern. If they dont repint fetches, people will just have to play standard :^)

What's the best and most far-reaching sideboard in modern? I'm playing u/w control, and I mainboard spreading seas, which does a good job dealing with tron, cavern of souls, and is pretty ok against anything that isn't merfolk. That being said my sideboard is
>Leyline of sanctity x4
Turns off targeted discard and burn. Great against DS and burn, ok against Jund, and junk.
>Rest in Peace x4
I only need my graveyard for snapcaster, so it doesn't hurt too much and it wrecks DS, living end, and dredge. Turns off the abzan coco combo, and is great against Grixis, which relies heavily on kolaghan's Command and snapcaster interaction.
>Stony silence x4
Affinity
>Runed halo x3
Not sure about these, but
Good against ad nauseum, almost completely turns off grishoalbrand. Good against DS, is ok against any midrange matchup, name reality smasher or tarmogoyf or whatever.
Ideas or suggestions?

at the rate standard is going right now they'll have to start reprinting the reserved list to sell new sets

I can't say much about your sideboard until I know your full list, but in my experience with control decks, running 3 or 4 of a bunch of hate cards as your board is a bad idea. It's too inflexible and in Modern you need to be prepared for anything.

I think the bicycle lands will make Splendid Valakut more viable. Living end is getting new cyclers and maybe some aftermath cards (also maybe old split cards from rules change).

Yeah that's kinda why I was hoping to find the most versatile cards. I want to run multiple copies to ensure I draw them when I need to. I was hoping to just hate out the most popular and degenerate decks, and try to rely on having a fair matchup against the tier 2 stuff. Is that a bad idea?

>Is that a bad idea?
Yes because as a control deck it's often the jank that gets you. You can grind games against GBx all day long and then some guy comes and fucks you up with his off color brew that you have no way to interact with.

Now post your list so I can recommend you some cards.

Celestial colonnade x3
Flooded Strand x4
Westvale abbey x1
Ghost Quarter x2
Glacial fortress x4
Hallowed Fountain x2
Temple of enlightenment x1
Plains x4
Island x5
Path x4
Spell Snare x2
Condemn x1
Secure the Wastes x2
Snapcaster x3
Spreading seas x4
Think Twice x4
Negate x1
Detention sphere x1
Thalia, heretic Cathar x1
Sphinx's Revelation x2
Cryptic Command x4
Wrath of God x1
Supreme verdict x2
Elspeth suns champion x2

What are some artifact silver bullets that one night not think of immediately?
I've got the main ones like, bridge, torpor orb, pithing needle, grave hate, etc.
Looking for more for spicy tezzeratwhir

I don't see Spellskite in that list.

Defense grid
Grafdigger's cage also hits libraries

You onow, I think it's wierd that Magic as a whole has been selling incredibly well since RTR, but that Standard event attendance has been on a decline. I mean, I know casual kitchen table players and big name retailers/secondary market sellers carry the game, but there seems to be a disconnect between sales numbers and Standard attendance. Why is that?

>Defense grid
Forgot about that
>Grafdigger
I'm a bit worried it would turn off my whir and thopter sword combo? Could be good enough just for the hosing it does provide

>Spellskite
So good. I have a set but they slipped my mind ever since infect bit the bullet

My bad. It doesn't stop sword of the meek

Witchbane Orb
Trading Post
Uba Mask :^)

No one liked the standard changes they made with removing core sets and switching the standard window back and forth, which was a relatively recent thing. Hasbro had a recent stockholder presentation (I think this is the right word for it) and the magic player base had stagnated at 20 million as well.

More and more people are realizing that standard is a scam and turning to non-rotating formats. Also, because of the fact that there's such a small card pool, if Wizards fucks up and prints something incredibly powerful, there's less of a likelihood of there being something in the format to deal with it. The current Standard would be a good example of this.

Modern is just too dope

Problem is that core sets never sold well. It was healthy for standard because you had a large amount of cards that were always in standard, but the people that usually play standard would have already had most of those cards, meaning that there was no reason for them to buy the packs

origins was a good thing to have in standard though. wizards should do stuff like that again as pseudo core sets

I just started playing during BFZ. What is a core set exactly, and how is origins a pseudo-core set?

> Think DSJ will get something banned for "competitive diversity"

I want to play Grixis Shadow, but I feel like Death's Shadow is gonna catch a ban. I hoping the new set brings something to the table that helps blue in modern so I can play something similar. Until then i'll be running my old GR Tron

Charbelcher or Spellweaver Helix?

What is DSJ and why is it the new "overlord"?

This thread is for people who play modern

DSJ stands for Drunk Sword Jugglers, an equipment deck that looks to equip a hard-to-remove creature with tons of equipment, particularly the sword cycle.

Death's Shadow jund. It makes up ~12% of the Top 8 finishing decks and has few bad matchups. Hopefully its gonna get the Splinter twin treatment soon.

That sounds really fun. Got a decklist?

I really really doubt Shadow is going to get banned. If Tarmo has been around forever theres no reason for DS to be banned either, he's just a low cost huge dude. The competitive diversity shit doesn't really hold water anymore.
As for blue catching a break I don't see that happening anytime soon, blue in nuMagic is so cucked and its barely a shadow of it's former self. Only way I could ever see blue ever coming back ever is if they unban their good cards or if R&D finally has managed to make not shit blue spells, which I doubt would happen anytime soon.

3/3 for 1 mana used to be considered powerful enough to get banned. DSJ is slamming 7/7s down for 1 mana.

>Wizards banning anything thats not blue or combo
lmao nice one user

Maindeck looks pretty tight, although I'd probably do this:
-1 Plains
-1 Temple
-1 Glacial Fortress
+1 Island
+1 Colonnade
+1 Mystic Gate

And then
-1 Condemn
-1 Thalia
-1 Wrath
-1 Elspeth
+1 Blessed Alliance
+1 Negate
+1 D Sphere
+1 Verdict

And for the sideboard, I'd try something like this:
2 Dispel
2 Runed Halo
2 Stony Silence
2 Rest in Peace
1 Blessed Alliance
1 Celestial Purge
3 Vendilion Clique
1 Wrath of God
1 Gideon Jura

So the Wrath gets moved to the board, and the second Elspeth becomes a Gideon. Wrath is better than Verdict against green decks running Thrun, so you can bring that it, but it's not dead weight against grixis or merfolk where you get blown out when they counter it. Diversify 'walkers whenever possible so they don't end up dead in you hand and can instead tag team people on the battlefield. Gideon is also much better against decks with evasive attackers.

The Condemn becomes Blessed Alliance because BA is just generally a better card, especially when you already have 4 Paths. There's one more in the side so you can side into 10 solid removal spells.

Clique is a general answer to Tron and combo, anything where you need a clock or a peek at their hand.

Dispel gives you cheap interaction with combo/burn/infect/whatever, alongside the maindeck negates.

The six pack of enchantments hoses a wide range of decks. Two of each means you'll have a good chance of finding one at some point in the game, but little chance of flooding on redundant cards.

And Purge is just cheese in Modern. Kills everything from Keranos to Bitterblossom.

Can't lose to something you've never played against (v:

But user, Grave Troll isn't blue ;^)

Core sets were stand- alone sets printed every year. They had little to no story attached to them and were mostly there to reprint various standard staples (lightning bolt, cancel, stuff like that) and/or keep Standard healthy. They also were good points of entry into the format because they were simple mono colored sets and generally set a baseline power level for the coming standard season.

However, later core sets (specifically m13- m15) weren't very well received. So, WotC decided that along with their revamp of their story, Origins would be the last core set and kick off a new age for Standard.

But it's combo tho

Remember when a central planeswalker went off the rails because of Liliana then was never seen or heard from again?

A core set was generally a set of cards that were always in standard and basically always enabled at least basic archetypes

Mana dorks, cheap burn spells were always in the sets meaning that green ramp decks or burn decks/aggro were always a thing because their core cards were always available. It also meant that there were more answers available for threats since wotc could print generic removal without having to tie it to a specific plane.

TLDR: Core sets are for cards that standard needs but that they don't want to put in "real" sets

Origins had a lot of the same ideas as core sets in terms of having generic cards without a central thematic focus as a block

It's literally a set of reprints. After awhile WotC started printed unique cards for the set, but for the most part it's just reprints. Essentially it's a tool to establish a base power level for each color, and provide each color with basic answers they can utilize to shore up weaknesses in your expert level sets.

Rate this meme please

green actually has the most banned cards of any color. Blue would be tied first if you count twin as a 'blue' ban. White and black are tied last with 2 bans each.

>phone picture of computer screen

That's some pretty subtle bait there. (You) get a 5/10.

>phone screenshot of a picture taken by said phone
>all those expeditions
7/10 got me to bite.

this guy is memeing you.

it stands for Dark Depths suicide Jund, a dark depths combo that runs jund colors and leverages it's life total

>death's shadow jund
lmao nice meme, Death's shadow in jund? Like he'll believe that. Next you'll tell me the deck runs shitty delirium cards too

Why would it run delirium cards? They don't even synergise with death's shadow. It runs fateful hour cards.

Fuck all you autistic memers, this guy is clearly new and trying to get actual information on DSJ. All you're doing is discouraging him from coming here to discuss the format.

DSJ actually stands for Dimir Sneaky Juggernauts, a U/B combo deck that looks to cheat out fatties like Blightsteel Colossus and Wurmcoil Engine.

Can we stop?

No brakes on this train

>tfw you quicksilver amulet in a blightsteel on turn 5

>tfw you quicksilver amulet out your fatty on turn 4 because you accelerated into a turn 3 amulet with Mind Stone

>meme culture developed in Modern General

It was a good ride lads. No point attempting any conversation now.

Fuck I need more DSJ tech. You run SSG? I was thinking about doing it even without any red spells.

SSG is good, it lets you cheat DS out a turn earlier.

There are basically 2 schools of thought regarding SSG among DSJ players - some think it's worth it for the potential of an earlier amulet more consistently. Others think that the basic mana rock package (mind stones and Dimir Signets) are superior for their consistency and usage after you've cast the amulet.

I personally fall into the 2nd category. I prefer using those extra slots for counters and removal to protect against aggro decks.

DSJ
Dream
Stalker
jeskai

fuck trolls

DSJ = Donkey Shrek Jund. But don't worry, it's just some meme deck.

this

>combos with some meme card and dream stalker

sorry to kill the fucking meme party

Can we all fucking stop pretending this place is /v/ and help someone who's obviously new to the game instead of shitposting? Go fucking post on /b/ if you want shitty memes so badly.

As for DSJ it stands for Dragon Sultai Jade Idol, A deck that uses dragons and jade idol to have big threats as early as turn 3 with fast mana.

Fuck I'm stupid I meant Talisman of Dominance, not Dimir Signet.

ethersworn canonist
welding jar
trinisphere/thorn
tidehollow sculler
myr superion
expedition map
scourglass
lotus bloom
sun droplet
jinxed idol
the rack
ratchet bomb

>Uba Mask
What is that supposed to stop? Niv Mizzies + Curiosity

What are you guys even talking about? DSJ isn't a deck, it's a ship: Dovin Baan X Sorin X Jace. It's the hottest thing among the vorthos community.

Garruk was in m15

Well it turns off counterspells drawn after it's out. It's actually a pretty cool card

Fuck off fujoshit everyone knows it means Domri x Saheeli x Jace. Don't try and force your fag agenda and smother the only good poly relationship this story has.

So is trading post supposed to be repeated life gain against burn? Wouldn't Sun Droplet just be better?

What Trading Post offers is utility. You wouldn't think it's that great just from looking at it, but give it a try and see what you think. The Tezzerator guy in my meta swears by it.

>Playing?
Naya Burn. Or is it Burn with Green splashed for Atarka's Command?
>Hating?
Being too much of a pussy to enter tournaments
>Brewing?
MonoBlue control and BW tokens.
>Why won't they print playable spells for modern?
I consider a set successful if they have at least one modern playable card. Fatal Push.
Goblins!
More cheap goblins with awesome effects. Like Pay one red to win the game or something like that.
It's aggressive.
Only played against it once. I lost.
Anything with elves.
Mishra's Bauble! Nah, if something gets banned WotC will fuck up and miss.
It's great! I hate it but I'm still impressed when I see it.

So I bought three MM3 packs from this store I don't think many know about and got Arid Mesa and Marsh Flats. It felt awesome!

is DSJ even a real deck?

You want to know the truth, the real, undeniable truth about DSJ? It's a deck that would break Modern in two, if only it's true nature were known.

Within this spoiler is rare gameplay footage of DSJ. I had to get it off the dark web. Enter at your own risk: www youtube com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Blasphemy

DSJ is a modern general meme created to confuse newcomers. It's not a real deck user, sorry.

song name?

Bauble ban actually doesn't do much.
There's plenty of 0-cost artifacts that kill themselves into graveyard. The only thing lost would be the card draw, which is big, but the single DSJ player at my store runs Tormod's Crypt instead since he values mainboarded graveyard hate over a card.

It will never happen, but a Street Wraith ban would be hilarious. Both that a shitty common gets banned, and also for the card hoarders who kicked the price to $7.

I'll give you a hint. In the previous thread, OP mentioned a deck with the initials DSJ

DSG > DSJ

>Playing?
Junk

>Hating?
Nothing right now. Blood Moon decks are kinda annoying but that's life

>Brewing?
Constantly working on making a Sultai list but it's hard to do something better then jund/junk or Grixis

>Why won't they print playable spells for modern?
Muh sideways and muh creatures

Sultai

Dual Color goodies in sultai colors. Leovold, Baleful Strix, Shardless. unban Mind Sculptor

Decent

Honestly, DSJ gets bullied by most fair decks. Whenever I played Grixis Control or Abzan against it I feel favored if only slightly.

n/a

Unsure. If KCI combo gets any tournament results it's gonna get banned immediately.

Fun

Other decks get results all the time. Why would KCI get B& if a got a few results?

Can i use Detention Sphere on an enchantment - aura that a Hexproof creature is equipped with.

I mean, i use detention sphere on a Rancor that a Slippery Bogle is equipped with.

Just because of the nature of how it wins

It often takes awhile for someone playing KCI to sequence everything right to win even if they are playing fast and WotC doesn't like that.

It's the reason they banned Second Sunrise from the first eggs deck, it didn't have insane tournament results or anything, it just took to slow to combo and felt tedious and time-consuming to be on the other side.

Yes. The aura itself is not hexproof.

>DSG
Ah yes, I can see it. Cutting black makes the manabase a lot less painful, and allows you to fill the deck with solid creatures like Burning-Tree Emissary, Experiment One, Goblin Guide, and Reckless Bushwhacker.

sorry i meant DSGr

4x Blood Moon
4x Goblin Bushwhacker
4x Goblin Guide
2x Goblin Wardriver
4x Legion Loyalist
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Goblin Grenade
4x Foundry Street Denizen
3x Goblin Piledriver
4x Mogg War Marshal
4x Quest for the Goblin Lord
4x Krenko's Command
2x Goblin Chieftain
1x Goblin King

18x Mountain

Is this any good? what should i keep and what should i remove to keep 60 cards?

This is the standard Goblin build, usually referred to as 8-Whack: mtggoldfish.com/deck/478349#paper

Your build is pretty close, you'll just need to make some minor adjustments. 8-Whack is a pretty solid deck that can definitely win games.

Have fun throwing gobbo's at your foes.

Fug, forgot to reply to your post.

Won a GPT today with Death's Shadow Jund. Was pretty packed for a GPT, feels good. Deck is sweet and really fun