Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Occult Edition!

Have you played any of the Occult Classes yet? How do you feel about the Occult aesthetic of gypsy stuff! Do you think there's a future for more occult classes being added?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

I've never played an occult class, but there's a really cute occult character in one of my games that's really convincing me to look into them some more.
I'm talking top shelf qt material, here. It's pretty overwhelming.

I actually just put up a request for a new character of mine - a fire kineticist - in the drawthread earlier tonight. Figured I'd go full fire and roll with a Hellspawn tiefling standing back and playing artillery for the team.

I once played a dwarf aether/earth kineticist in a level 17 campaign where everyone else was tier 1/2. Strangely enough, it went pretty good, because the other 3 party members were
>Druid focused on summoning
>Cleric with lots of necromancy save or die spells
>Sorcerer whose main tactic was "turn into a dragon and fuck shit up"
So i did the main blaster damage. Having move earth and stone shape at will also helped, along with a houserule of the DM that every 1 hp/hd healed removed 1 point of burn.

Kineticist is more eastern elementalism. The Occultist itself comes off more Abrahamic with gypsy psychic themes.

All classes but Kineticist (and even some later features of kineticist) have the same issue the intrigue content has: it only shines in specific types of campaigns or if the DM is willing to accommodate you.

Occult isn't as bad as intrigue content in this regard at least.

Occult classes:
Good but boring:
>Psychic

Good and interesting:
>Occultist
>Phantom Blade Spiritualist

Shit on its own but becomes fun with 3pp:
>Kineticist

>only phantom blade spiritualist

explain yourself

Hate to ask but does anyone have the list of fey obedience boons?

I don't know much about other spiritualists, I read them once and they just seem like ripoff summoners

Are there any /pfg/ games that would be good for a cute pixie app?

They're way more flavorful and interesting, and overall better designed, since they essentially use their spirits to bad-touch people and debuff rather than make a rape-train of murder. Besides Phantom Blade/Ectoplasmaticist spiritualists are just Maguses

What bout the medium and mesmerist?

Could you point me to the rules for pixies as race?

Dear Veeky Forums,

I'm a group of sanctimonious SJWs, and everyone someone opens their mouth, I want to set them all on fire. What do I do?

No game is better than a bad game, and with the spate of /pfg/ games, you can play a good game.

I haven't played with medium but the impression seems to be that it does a lackluster job at being what it's sold as.

I forgot Mesmerist even existed but now that I remember it it's decent

Define SJW in this instance. There's a good chance your probably just a hateful cunt.

complete sensory deprivation

>I'm a group of sanctimonious SJWs
Well, your attitude seems appropriate for a group of sanctimonious SJWs, but if that's who you are, then why are you on Veeky Forums of all places?

Also, did just one of your group type your post, or did you all take turns pressing keys?

If i remember the Medium is basically beyond bard-tier in versatility, you can become a 6 caster with spells from the wizard or cleric lists, you can become a pouncing melee warrior, able to full attack with the best of them, you can become hard to kill as hell or skillmonkey, or you can even turn into a support-bot

The key is that while your versatility is VAST, your ability to do so is limited to one of 6 spirits at a time, and it takes an hour to change spirits.

The Medium is in reality, a Jack of All trades that even the bard looks at with jealousy, but the bard can improvise a lot more than the medium can.

The Kineticist is trash as 1pp, but climbs to outright excellent if you combine all of jolly's stuff.

A Temporal Onslaught is a powerful affair... if maybe not so much its damage.

The impression I got was that was what it was SUPPOSED to be, but by being more jack of all tradesy than the bard it's also hit by the consequence that it's very mediocre at each one.

Found the SJW

Don't you have a riot to attend or something?

Its less that its very mediocre at each one, its more that its hyper-specialized per current spirit you're channeling

Once you channel the Champion spirit, the bard can't keep up with you in combat, but he can still support better, skillmonkey better, even heal better and cast better

Bards are better at adapting on the fly, but a Medium can in fact be more versatile, they just require set-up-time

In most campaigns, the lack of ability to modify on the fly is the problem, Mediums are well suited to campaigns like Kingmaker, with a lot of downtime, and are absolutely shite in campaigns that are a lot more kick down the doors and fuck shit up

You know, honestly, the kineticist is fine, even if it has a couple shitty class features. It's just on a low tier, similar to fighter, rogue, or paladin.

As with those classes, you just have to do know what you're doing and you can contribute just fine.

I concur. (Not sure why paladins are considered low tier but eh.)
Overall I found Kineticist to be one the most fun classes to mess around with.

Any of y'all got a place i can read the Rise of the jade regent logs?

Kinetics is based on movies such asw Firestarter, Scanners, and The fury. anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about.

That doesn't make it a good class, mind you, it just explains what the hell they were thinking when they made it (they weren't).

We decided we aren't going to talk about that anymore.

oh wow, what happened?

So I am looking at the warlock vigilante and one of their special abilities is the mystc bolt. A useful spell/attack that can be spammed all day. So when you are not casting spells, you have a decent backup. And that got me to thinking, how come wizards/sorcerers don't have a similar option? I mean, when a Magus runs out of spells he can still swing a weapon around. What happens in a worst case scenario for the wizard/sorcerers or any primarily magic focused class when they run out of spells? I mean you can fallback to the crossbow but that seems thematically sucky. It makes me think that magic missile or some variant should have existed for this purpose. A "spell" that you can just spam all day.

Would a simple Wand of Magic Missile do for a backup? Or am I missing something here. What do you guys think?

You should never really be running out of spells after levels 3-4. You're doing something wrong if you do.

Or fighting a shitload more than you're supposed to be.

Quinn was raep

We told you before, Blingmaker!

The DM pulled a filthy rape scene out of nowhere for last night's session which caused a cascade of angry players dropping the campaign.

I agree, but at the same time I gotta say that I really hate the modern idea that a class needs to be "good". Why does everyone feel the need to make strongest possible character that can handle every situation, having group of people with only more varied talents is much more fun than having a group of combat only focused people...

jesus what?, who did who?

well first of all, since you say that YOU are a group of SJWs I'm forced to assume that you are bit like Golum with multiple personality disorder where all personalities that we know of are SJWs. Further more since it seems that you feel great hostility towards yourself in form of wishing to set yourself on fire (as you house all those personalities), I would make an assumption that some sort of psychiatric help might be good for your own health.

Wow, whaddafukman

It's literally just Rubio and Etan left, and even then, the DM had to bribe them to stay with another Shayliss Spitroast scene. I hear they're going to reopen apps soon.

How many threads back is this fiasco?

Is roll20 down for anyone else?

I guess the DM fucked up really bad

>Is roll20 down for anyone else?
I'm in a game right now, and it doesn't appear to be.

SotJR went on a hunt, and Valeriya got separated from the group while chasing a boar.

Good question, someone answer.

>player charges 10% of cost to Craft Wondrous for other players

What the fuck.

so what/who raped the poor girl?
Also whats this im now seeing about gnolls?

Do you mean he's charging 10% of the cost, shouldering 40% of it himself, or he's charging 10% over cost, so you're still saving money and he's making money off his feat choices, instead of breaking even?

It was a hungry and very hung pack of bamboozles.

Outrageous! Everybody involved should be shot!

Did anyone PM Vult to get the bon-bon logs?

Anyone got the Quinn-Gnoll logs?

Eat a dick, Rory.

Sounds like an investment to me.

I miss my Master Craftsman Lore Warden Fighter

Rory was the guy leaking one on one logs wasnt he?

Other players are paying 55% of base cost of item. He is making money off of other players.

So he's being a smart person.

What idiot would sell his trained labour for cost?

That's like busting into your IT friend's house and getting mad when he charges you for tech support, or when your artist friend asks you to pay for your commission.

Don't expect free stuff. Idiot.

.And yet they're still paying a lot less than they would be if they were purchasing from a magic item market or whatever.

what exactly is the problem here? He's playing his character in such a way that benefits the party but also benefits himself. That's not bad - that's just intelligent.

Except this aint real life? I don't except free shit in life.

Never seen anyone do this before. Also he is hogging most of the party gold, but that's a different problem.

I don't get it, what are you complaining about?

You mean you really paid for the Pathfinder Core Rulebooks and stuff and didn't download them or use the online stuff for free?

He's hogging the gold but crafting everyone's items at a discount?

Do they have to get their items crafted from this player or can they go elsewhere?

Are you another player or are you the GM?

GM of this campaign. I've never seen another player charge for Crafting before and I don't think the other players are enjoying the fee. They have three craters (in a party of five) and I'm assuming they talked about this before, since one has Arms and Armor, one has Wondrous, and the last one has scrolls and either rods or rings.

If the tank isn't charging a fee to take hits for the crafter, or the rogue isn't charging the party for each detected and disabled trap, then the crafter shouldn't charge extra for crafting. It's called not being a dick.

He's the one who gave up the feat slot. If you're expecting to reap the full benefit of it for nothing, that's going a bit far.

Last time we had a crafter like that, he charged 75% of market price, which I thought was a bit much.

See Tell the party that obviously they should start charging the crafter for all the favors they do for him, since they insist on a business relationship and not one of mutual support.
Obviously the simplest way to handle this is to waive the crafting surcharge and say it all cancels out. If they refuse then obviously he's shortchanging them and they should leave the guy to fend for himself.

I was thinking more along the lines of this.

It seems petty in a group of adventures that are facing life and death daily, that you'd randomly start charging them for shit.

Each spell gets charged at 10% normal price, each day of service for a martials get 1 sp/level.

Sounds fair!

At that point, why not establish an economy based on exchanging goods and services directly, rather than using currency?

>a party of different tier classes that splits loot and experience evenly is the communist ideal

The gnoll joke is due to an incident in the Friday RotJR campaign where Ameiko and Quinn got a Gnoll's diddle in their nu uh spot.

Goddamn. Do people not know Corruptions of Champions is free?

Well, PLD wasn't flagged as pay to play, so yes?

No gnoll cocks there though, just troll eiffel towers

It's also single player. That's no fun.

Sounds like something Bonbon's going to be getting involved in a lot!

Tell me your wild mage stories, Veeky Forums?

>going to be
user...

One time we came across a wild mage. We shot him with a bow and watched him drown to death in his own blood.

We had a good laugh.

Fuck mages.

PM him! We need those logs!

>asking other people to contact a well known figure in the discord who is online 24/7

What the heck, Gloriana was supposed to be the fuck-happy bimbo, but Bonbon's taking dongdong left and right!

It's a subversion! Everyone expects the one outcome, so you hit 'em with another to keep them guessing

Don't you mean... front and back?

>Everyone expects Gloriana or Cashmere to be the first to get stuffed
>They fight a giant grapple focused tentacle monster and come out on top because of the power of teamwork

>Meanwhile Bonbon and Lysander fight ordinary trolls
>Bonbon gets rapecycled because Lysander abandons her

Lysander *abandoned* her?

Has Sigmund fought anything yet?

Sigmund got in a bar brawl over Gloriana and Cashmere's dignity!

He got his shit pushed in by a pair of unarmed thugs!

Though, to be fair, he was also unarmed

Then his ribs got intimate with the half-troll matron of the establishment!

Sounds like Caine was feeling the Paine.

Don't you mean LOGS?!

Did Bon-Bon end up getting out of the situation some how, or did the session end with her still stuck between a hard place and another hard place?

Wild magic has never been used in my group but if you want a wild mage, our party's magus threw the whole town into a panic that it could be attacked by a dragon soon, all for the sake of playing a practical joke on the bard.

The way "those" sessions work is the incident is noted as happening and then the DM and Player do the scene off-session, this means there's a good chance it's either still going down or hasn't started yet.

>mfw genuinely considering playing a trap
>All because I can't decide what to do with 7 Str/Dex, 18 Wis/Cha

user, you ask for a dangerous thing. Do you really want to inflict that on this general?

Imagine the eiffel tower memes. The HONKing. The furious discussion over whether Bon-bon and Lysander got an actual pathfinder game or just an excuse to typefuck getting impregnated by evil trolls!

Just do it. What's wrong with playing a trap?

That doesn't sound like a trap, that sounds like the scrawny, charming child of the family that grew up to be a prominent priest, maybe even a cardinal.

I'm already certain I shouldn't play a Mesmerist, because that's just a gateway to my magical realm.

That's how you get some of the best roleplay, user. Make a mesmerist and have some fun!

Is your magical realm giving allies bonuses that make no sense? If so, avoid the Mesmerist. But if your thing is mind control you're better off with a bard or witch.

How the fuck people get flanking bonuses by thinking they have a flank partner, that's not actually there and the "flanked" enemy has no such delusions, is beyond me.

What if the flanking bonus came with an AC penalty because of the ally's delusion they have a partner making them more careless with their attacks?