/btg/ Battletech General!

---------------------------------
Weeaboo pilot ready for combat, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – UPDATED (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

(new)
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-04-05 - Still getting worked on & now has 11483 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-03-26!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=53891.new;topicseen#new
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=53442.0
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=20265.msg1266756#msg1266756
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57083.msg1312853#msg1312853
youtube.com/watch?v=vK3pbyP-57A
mediafire.com/file/dgxa3rgvt2366a1/BattleTech_RS217_-_Record_Sheets_3145_Unabridged.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Light 'Mechs with LRMs.

Seconding

COME HERE YOU LITTLE SHITS I'LL FUCK YOU UP

Valks for life

I made a factory variant of the Commando years ago where it looked like a squashed Bushwhacker. It has an LRM-5 in each arm, one ton of ammo between them, and three MLs with one each in the torso sections. Later it would gain FF armor and DHS as needed.
That model was produced on and off until it because a regular sight in a few campaigns.

Somehow I missed you.

My players are going to be fighting on a Lyran world, where a Democracy Now type group called the Freedom Party are attempting to unseat the Archon-loyal government.

I'm interested in a proper German spelling of Freedom Party, as well as what a German language nickname or abbreviation for such a group could be (for example I've read Nazi came from Nationalsozialist and Sozi from Sozialdemokrat).

Yuck, Bulls...

Just kidding. That thing some of you anons were saying about the Taurians building Toro and Talos lines and using the Commando and Hatchetman as cover stories actually makes a lot of sense. There's even a fair bit of commonality in weapons, weight and roles!

Freiheitliche Partei (planet Name), shortened to "Freiheitliche".

It's what the Nazi remnant party in Austria is called.

That is one sweet helmet.

Meant for

Do they have a nickname?

Reporting for duty.

i loved this mech.

first time i used it was when i used a star of them vs a Marauder II.. drove my opponent crazy

Where is that screenshot from? I get the feeling I've seen it somewhere before.

I don't know but you can tell it's a Kurita designed mech because the radar is behind your shoulder where the pilot can't fucking see it.

"Blues" or "Blaue" as that's their party's chosen colour.

There is a different illustration in the old Jade Falcon sourcebook.

I dig the way this picture makes even a dinky second-line throwaway fire support mech look menacing.

Well, it's actually balancing by BV. We're limited to 200 or less Tons, but having less BV means you get better pilots. If I wanted to, and had the models to do so, I could bring 1 Hatchetman and 3 Urbanmechs. My mechs would probably suck by the pilots would be god-like with their skills.

Can't see me!

Wish I could remember where it was, but I could have sworn there was some bit of fluff somewhere that said baboons could travel in a somewhat quadrupedal mode too.

I don't think so, Mandrill is the one who can walk on the 4 members

That's the original Red Devil fluff. Also the Mandrill I think.

This is for Xotl, regarding your [RESEARCHING] post in the rules forum

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=53891.new;topicseen#new

[basically some typos on CO - and the dreaded 2.2 multiplier on Chaos Campaign]
This 2.2 multiplier appeared in Total Chaos and was by mistake (as far as i can tell) duplicated in Era Report 3145 and CO

You might find this relevant

The example given for determining Technology Rating is the old, *old* system that had a force with over 50% upgraded 'Mechs, including Clan with only a "D" Tech Rating.
The last four paragraphs of the example should probably be replaced with something along the lines of:
Inner Sphere Standard Rules units = (6/12) x 100 = 50 percent
Clan Standard Rules units = (2/12) x 100 = 16.67 x 2.0 = 33.34 percent
Added together, the total percentage of units with Standard Rules Inner Sphere/ Clan technology is this 83.34 percent (rounding down to 83 percent).

[The unit therefore has an 83-point Equipment Rating. Comparing the 83 points against the Equipment Rating Table results in a B Equipment Rating. ]

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=53442.0 (reply 22)

and also see

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=20265.msg1266756#msg1266756 (reply 34)

If I may, one more? How would you say something like "Freedom Party Guard(s)"?

For the militant wing of the party.

You're going full Turtledove. Never go full Turtledove. Next you'll be telling me we've got to start reducing somebody's population.

Isn't that the sad and sorry truth?

>tfw Featherston did nothing wrong

Awesome. It turns out we just brought a guy onto the rules team that's familiar with this ruleset, so I'm actually hopeful of getting a response. However, I'll add this info for him to make sure the has the full picture. Thanks!

Today? They'd probably go with "Freiheitliche Heimwehr", as in "Freedom party home guards"

You're probably thinking of the original 3055 text, which says something about be able to hunch over to reduce its silhouette.

Well I mean, he did order the invasion of Pittsburgh, which was a monumental cockup. And y'know, being a Hitler analogue who is probably worse than the original because fuck subtlety.

Also why it has Narrow/Low Profile, because THE MAN (Xotl) wouldn't let me make a quirk that only two mechs would probably ever have to let it knuckle walk.

I can't seem to RS 3145U in the troves. I only find RD 3145NTNU. Is it just me, or is it really missing?

You don't need that file if you download every faction 3145 TRO

>bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57083.msg1312853#msg1312853

>minis that have previously been painted in different faction colors will bring poor luck, so I don't want to bring an Awesome.

Holy shit.

Friendly reminder every Battletech player is autistic

You know, I don't think I've ever met a person with actual autism who's even half as autismal as the people on the OF

Well there was that one time at a game store... This guy was trying to get me to join his campaign that featured time-traveling fights against Borg-like bad guys. He was having trouble taking no for an answer despite my pointing out that I lived four hours away and was just visiting.

>Next you'll be telling me we've got to start reducing somebody's population.

Or that we've recently *increased* the chocolate ration from 7 grams to 9 grams ...

well, that's the thing. Unless I am not missing something obvious I can only find the RS3145NTNU

They all look menacing from the ground as a foot soldier.

youtube.com/watch?v=vK3pbyP-57A

>hitler being spot-on about the clans

Again, thank you.

That is something I miss about Turtledove's books. They flanderized themselves and lost all subtlety by the end.
The Worldwar and Great War series were good, and I was surprised how enjoyable his Days of Infamy duology was.

Hitler is always right.

The War that Came Early started off okay, but just fizzled, possibly because it would have worked better as a trilogy than 5 or 6 books. I liked American Empire because it manages to keep the spark of Great War for a good while. Aside from isolated moments of the WWII books, I like to think the series ends with Victorious Opposition

I agree. I will say I enjoyed VO a bunch. It had a load of fun moments, and it was interesting to catch glimpses of how the world was different, and Featherston's administration before the inevitable WWII started.

Yeah that's what I meant. Even twink mechs like a Hornet or whatever are going to look imposing in real life but a lot of times the art, particularly TRO drawings without background or anything, don't convey that. The scale and perspective is usually just like I'm a giant mech-sized person looking at another person who happens to be very blocky.

Yeah. I bet a flea in a night battle when it's fucking blown up your barracks and hit your fuel depot, standing there with the fire behind it, looks menacing as fuck.

Why don't you follow him and kill yourself?

>muh feelies

Stop trying to out-edge the nazi

Well, I guess it's no worse than a lot of original FASA art. I'm not particularly good at mechanical designs when I can't see them.

I seriously need to lay off the drugs.

I'm interested in making a pre-Jihad House Liao force.

Looking for opinions on some of their homegrown designs from the lead up years. TRO 3055 has the Snake, Huron Warrior and Thunder, I believe. Anyone here have much experience with them?

TRO 3058 doesn't seem to have any original Liao designs (unless I missed it) but it does have the Regulator, Po and Zhukov tanks. IIRC the latter two have a reputation for being rather solid. Would that be accurate?

And then TRO 3060 introduces a slew of new Liao designs with the Han touch. I don't expect a rundown of everything but I'd be interested in knowing what /btg/ thinks of some of them. Which are good and which are garbage?

I have familiarity with the old Liao trinity of standbys, the Vindicator, Raven and Cataphract.

Meh, maybe I'll come back and redo that one instead of shitting it out in like 30~45 minutes.

3058 has a few recovered designs for the Cappies and some imports. They get the IS Omnis, some like the Blackjack and Sunder built at home, and also the Spector, Devastator, and Pillager.

I'd pick either Gausswall or Stealth, or Stealth Gausswall.

Men Shen, Ti T'sang, Jinggau, Pillager/Yu Huang has worked well in the past when I've had to go Cappie.

Jinngau is one of my favorite cav mechs. BJO's are solid, and I like the Avatar that mounts an ERPPC and LB20-X quite a bit too.

Spriteanon, and other assorted MegaMek users, be advised that the newest MegaMek release has decided to bundle all the sprites into one huge .png file named mechs_atlas. Literally, it's 6 mb and 840x20232.

What the fuck? Why did they think this was a good idea?

Goddamnit, did someone from GSC join the dev team and decide that throwing a giant fucking sprite together with X-Y and offset coordinates tied to each item, a la STALKER?

Seriously, this is the most retarded decision ever. This stopped being a good idea in the 90s back when disk space was at a premium.

what the fuck. Why do they go out of their way to make work, instead of fixing the shit they've already broken.

does it still support extras? because that shit is fucking retarded.

>TRO 3055 has the Snake, Huron Warrior and Thunder, I believe. Anyone here have much experience with them?
Snake - It's a sawed-off Centurion, and a really good complement for the Vindies. Load two tons of buck and it's hellacious for light-hunting, and it's a pretty good breacher and VTOL control unit. The BA can't hit you if the take the rotors off their Karnovs, after all.

>Huron Warrior
It's an Enforcer-equivalent. Again, it works well with the Snake and Vindies, and it has excellent range.

>Wraith
Brutal backstabber and one of the best 'Mechs in the TRO.

>Thunder
It's a very solid brawler and fringe minelayer, but even as a 5/8 it can have difficulty deploying its weapons effectively. The -2L is better at it, but still has problems getting into range. Stealth helps it but the heat is still a problem.

>the latter two have a reputation for being rather solid. Would that be accurate?
Yup. The Regulator is pretty decent as a skirmisher.

Yeah, judging by the custom Mad Cat and Masakari sprites I've got. Plus for whatever reason the Tenshi and Warhammer IIC are separate.

Further note, they've added Pod and Fixed equipment to omnis now, so if you have any omnis from SSW, prepare to go in and redo them in MML, otherwise your omnis are gonna have fixed gear.

As if you needed another reason to ditch the orphanage fire that is SSW...

It's vastly more user friendly than MML, and does omnis in way that isn't just a shitty clone of HMP. But sure, orphanage fire, because who likes being able to smartly allocate equipment and armor?

Shut your whore mouth

If you think that's bad UI, you're likely making your first steps onto the internet, kiddo.

CRY SOME MORE

>It's vastly more user friendly than MML
a blindfolded virgin eating pussy probably has more user-friendlyness going than MML, that isn't saying much

Help the new guy here. I am talking about the Record Sheets. I want 3145U (not 3145NTNU exists in the troves)

How does TRO come into the question? (honest question)

It's a decent rough sketch, I'd like to see what you'd make from it.

The faction TROs have the record sheets in them. This is why nobody wanted the merged version, except for the few pages in the NTNU section.

You seem angry. Are you the guy who broke the functionality in the new MM release?

I was amazed when I saw the TR-A-6 in TRO3075. For introtech, that thing is just disgustingly good.

Well, I'm a traditional artist, not digital. Digital is slow, painful, and evil... unless we're talking about using one of those Microsoft Surface Studios. Holy shit, all my stuff transfers right over onto it. I kept trying to wipe away eraser dust from the screen at the store.

I'll probably revisit it with water color. But it'll have to be completely redrawn. Sometime in the future when I'm not busy with work.

Wraith is a Marik design.

Yes, but my "record sheets" folder seems lacking now..

Devastator is a Feddie design.

Both are on the MUL for the Cappies.

The question was about TRO mechs. Cappies have access to a bunch of 50s FWL mechs because of their alliance. Doesn't make them their designs.

You can :

>buy the product
>manually extract the record sheets from the TROs and create your own file
>accept your fate

mediafire.com/file/dgxa3rgvt2366a1/BattleTech_RS217_-_Record_Sheets_3145_Unabridged.pdf

Yeah, smol griffin really is an excellent light trooper

>Wraith is a Marik design.
The Caps bought a shitload of them, and there's no reason not to put one of the better designs in the TRO in a list of "shit, what do?" 'Mech reviews for a newbie if they don't know they can use it.

It's important to be clear when the user specifically said >Looking for opinions on some of their homegrown designs

Sounds like he's interested in their own homemade stuff.

Adding to previous responses:
I've had great success with the Lao Hu, it's a pretty nasty brawler in it's initial config. The gauss one is a bit better at ranging, but they're all decent at minimum.
The Sha Yu is a decent fire support mech, but you might want to strip the MLs and put in more heat sinks.
The Pillager is a great standby for assaults, in pretty much every variant.
The Jinggau is effective, if not amazing, and people don't usually know what the fuck it is.
There's also the Emperor -6L, which is pretty effective at range.

As the original question-asking player, yes I technically meant Liao-built gear. But that isn't to say I don't appreciate input with other mechs available to them.

Thank you guys. It can sometimes be a leap between seeing something written as good in a TRO and actually deploying it TT, so getting these takes on different mechs can be very useful.

Roughly when do the Cappies get the Pillager and Emperor back? Late 3050s?
And IIRC isn't one built in the rump Confederation and the other on St. Ives?

Note that the Sha Yu is hot as fucking balls stock, if you've got stealth armor on.

Here's a force I've had great success with:
A mixed heavy lance of the various 5/8s (Jinggau, Lao Hu, Thunder in whatever config
tickles your fancy) with a pair of heavy tanks, and a lance with a pair of gauss assaults with a pair of Sha Yu's, accompanied by a pair of regulators providing fire support. I typically run the heavy lance ahead through cover while covering them with the fire support lance, and then advance the assaults after the heavies tie up the enemy. Works pretty well in my experience.
I believe they get the base designs in late 3050s and their specific variants in the mid 60's, but don't quote me on that. Also the Emperor is a big enough deal to the cappies that Sun Tzu used one, so even though it's not a design they originated, it's in heavy use.

So after seeing the conversation about how fluff-wise it would have been interesting (and made sense in a way) to have the Hatchetman and Commando mistakes with the Concordat actually be covers for them rebuilding the Toro and Talos lines, it's gotten me interested in those latter two mechs.

Tech-wise, is there anything on the Toro or Talos that couldn't be reproduced in 3025? I'm not thinking so but I'd like a second opinion. Right now I'm simply looking at the Toro in MML and thinking about alternate variants. I'm playing with adding SRMs to it, sort of like the Panther, and considering either swapping out one LRM5 for an SRM4 or both LRM5s for SRM4s.

Thoughts?

>Tech-wise, is there anything on the Toro or Talos that couldn't be reproduced in 3025?
No they both use standard IntroTech, but the Talos was pulled from production during the Reunification War, and the Toro was systematically destroyed. The Talos you might find an ancient First Succession War vintage chassis lying around, but it'd be jury-rigged to hell and back. The Toro wouldn't have any examples and the Taurians never put either back into production.

I did a 3050s version that stripped out the LRMs for three Streak SRM 2s. It's a fun little creature,

Big MAC made the Emperor in late 3057 and they get the Pillager in the St Ives War in 61.

If you count St. Ives, the Helios is also homegrown.
It's a bit shit though, since it has pretty weak armor and it's slow for it's weight. It does have a decent armament, but I'd say it's thoroughly mediocre.

Giving the Caps Devastators is pure memery. They have that because Barton took one home in 3044 in one of the best scenario books FASA ever wrote. It in no way indicates they have them in any sort of numbers.

Well the Toro came back in the Jihad, apparently. You might not have seen the discussion regarding them a while ago, but this is purely a hypothetical type question not meant to be mistaken for a canon claim or whatever. Just some anons were talking about how it would have been neat if the Hatchetman/Commando mistake had been instead an IC piece of Concordat misinformation to conceal the reproduction of the Toro and Talos. Someone else pointed out the Talos used an AC10 like the Hatchetman so it would kinda work.

That does sound like it wouldn't be half bad to try.

The Devastator's availability in general is memery.
Steiner makes it but they just sell them to Davion IIRC for some fucking reason.

>for some fucking reason.
Because the Davions were the ones who own the blueprints and redeveloped the design. They also made their own factory for them in later years.

What are they going to do if they kept them, sue?
That didn't work with the targeting computer tech either.

I probably did. I tune out a lot of the TC talk because it's invariably about the Toro and how great it is.