I'm going to play in a space opera homebrew system. I've already agreed to be the rogueish skill monkey type...

I'm going to play in a space opera homebrew system. I've already agreed to be the rogueish skill monkey type. What are archetypes for this character besides James Bond and the lovable thief?

>Kayley from Firefly
>Chewbacca
>Pam Poovy
>Naomi from the Expanse
>Tony Stark (out of the Iron Man suit)

Dude, you're looking for "Slippery" Jim DeGriz, the Stainless Steel Rat.

A space monkey with a lot of skills, obviously.

Locke Lamora.

Kaylee should have died in Serenity instead of Wash or Book. Seriously, I barely even gave a fuck about Wash, or Kaylee, so it didn't really matter anyway. Zoey was a shit character but I know they had Wash killed so Mal can fuck her to promote the interracial shit that's so popular these days (I don't understand why). I would honestly have preferred Kaylee to have suddenly died. I mean there was nothing detailing the aftermath, like how Zoey and the other characters deal with his death, so it was clearly just put in for shock value. So why not do it to the most beloved character after Mal and make people actually have their feelings hurt? Instead of just cutting the weakest link because ZOMG PPL HAVE TO DIE CAUSE OF GAME OF THRONES AND WALKING DEAD EVEN IF IT'S ACTUALLY TERRIBLE WRITING. But then again, Firefly really isn't that good anyway. It's a decent setting with some witty one-liners and an otherwise bog-standard plot and character arcs. So. not really much of a loss, nor should I have expected anything else from a show entirely meant to pander to XKCD retards.

Serenity predated GoT and Walking Dead, and Whedon was already known for his willingness to kill or cripple major characters if it was appropriate to the story.
But with Serenity, the cause of Wash's death was really literally random chance. The studio guys came to him and pointed out that he'd killed characters before, and said they wanted this movie to feel more important than a regular episode, and they felt that somebody should die in this big battle at the end.
Whedon listened, agreed that it was a fair point, but he didn't have anyone in mind. So, he reached into his pocket and pulled out his "trusty DM's d20" as he put it, assigned a few numbers and rolled it. Wash came up.

So it was literally a roll of the dice that killed Wash.

or you can play as The Invisible Man.

I can't tell if you're pathetically serious or elaborately trolling. Like I don't really care too much for Firefly, but come on.

He's blatantly trolling
>Zoey was a shit character but I know they had Wash killed so Mal can fuck her to promote the interracial shit that's so popular these days
alone is scientifically designed to net (You)'s.

Especially since the show nips that pairing in the bud in one of its funnier moments.

Lupin the 3rd. Us a good concept. Work the puckish rogue angle.

A gentlemen thief who leaves calling cards at the scenes of crimes is also a good one.

OP pic is basically Jigen in a white suit

How about John Carpenter's The Thing turned intergalactic super-spy?
Perhaps downplay the whole infectious assimilation of entire planets and focus on the ability to morph to fit almost any situation given enough time. Like if Batman's tools were all made of meat.
It would have an uncanny resemblance to Kurt Russell when not resembling a fleshy abomination.

This immediately comes to mind

>Boobies baby!

>14 replies in and nobody's mentioned the most obvious space opera rogue

>Chewbacca
M8

Yeah that's bull shit but okay. More likely the actor playing wash fucked Whedon's wife or something, and whedon probably paid him too but halfway through decided he didn't like it anymore and got mad.

nice pasta

>Zoey was a shit character but I know they had Wash killed so Mal can fuck her to promote the interracial shit that's so popular these days

Wash died so River could pilot the space ship.
Summer Glau demanded Whedon let her pilot a space ship in the movie and killing your favorite characters is something Whedon's been doing for decades, read any Marvel comic.

>I don't wanna believe what Whedon said in an interview
>let me instead believe some cuck fetish nonsense I pulled out of my butt

They're both rogues.
Han is the fast talker and leader, but Chewie's agile and fast for a walking carpet that big and a crack engineer.

>Lovable thief
I mean I guess technically he's a smuggler, but still.

I figured Han Solo was the kind of archetype OP wanted a break from

Science Officer or another type of academic is about the only skillmonkey archetype not covered by lovable thief or suave agent.

Unless androids are in the setting? R2D2 was once a skillmonkey before he became a plot-device.

Alright, I gotta ask. What's up with the pallet swap Daisuke Jigen looking like he just walked off a Samurai Jack epsiode?

Well user, that is because it's a pallete swapped Daisuke Jigen. And it IS from a Samurai Jack episode.

You sir, are a gentleman and a sir. Now go forth and swindle the galaxy.

Oh. Okay then.

Noir styled detective who will take any job on any planet.

Was coming in this thread to post this. Good taste.

Also, a bit rougher, but some of Star Wolf deals with heists and such, and if it's man of mystery espionage, Kimball Kinnison is a must.

There was also a Lupin the 8th thing, essentially Lupin in space. In addition, one of the J9 Cosmorangers from Galactic Cyclone Brygar and Cobra from Space Adventure Cobra would work well.

The Stainless Steel Rat. He's a criminal thief from an (almost) post-scarcity society.

It was Hogan in a white suit with Lupin's skill set and a briefcase of tricks.