/osrg/ OSR General - Hitting Edition

Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General thread.

>Links - Includes a list of OSR games, a wiki, scenarios, and a vast Trove of treasure!
pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd

>Discord Server - Live design help, game finder, etc.
discord.me/osrg

>OSR Blog List - Help contribute by suggesting more.
pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Webtools & Resources - Help contribute by suggesting more.
pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Previous thread:
THREAD QUESTION:
>Do you add AC to roll or subtract it from THAC0

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/BF-Jesters-Supplement-r2
gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz
gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz/2013/12/troll-world.html
gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/trollomancer.html
gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/things-you-find-in-trollworld-magic.html
gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/it-is-hard-to-find-cool-pictures-of.html
gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/trollworld-city-encounters-d-wandering.html
maziriansgarden.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-book-of-six-circles.html.
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/04/osr-cleric-spells.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/04/osr-religion-in-elderstone.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Add, obviously. Otherwise negative ACs would get even more stupid.

How do you play it, then? It doesn't seem possible straight out of the box: too much Grimtooth shit.

You tell the DM what your modified roll is, and he tells you if it hit.

Why would the player know what someone else's AC is?

>but it also means the play needs to know the target's AC, which some people don't like.

Why would the players need to know the target's AC any more than with any other system?

But how do you, as the DM, know whether they hit or not? Do you add AC to their roll or remove it from their THAC0?

...that's a good point, actually.

In general, how do you people verbally do attack rolls? I know in 5e it's usually:
>roll dice
>add modifiers
>ask DM "Does a 19 hit?"
>DM checks notes and answers

How does the process work in OSR-type systems (i.e., when using THAC0 or combat tables)?

THAC0 is the most confusing mechanic I've met in D&D

I have my players roll both attacks and damage to save time, then simply won't apply the damage if they don't hit.

Then you've never seen 1e's matrix tables.

I've actually spoken to one of the developers who tried to revive Incursion, they weren't happy with the original mana system, it was causing a efficiency-rest loop.

Why'd they only "try" to revive it? What happened?

It should be the same, actually.
Dave Arneson would never ever ever tell a PC what a targets AC is.

As far as the general quesion:
Neither. You roll a d20 to hit, and add any 'to hit' bonuses and see what your modified roll is.
THAC0 is kind of like a sliding scale in a way... If the targets AC is a positive number, subtract the AC from the THAC0 to determine the number needed to hit the target. If the target has a negative AC then add the number to thaco.

>If the targets AC is a positive number, subtract the AC from the THAC0 to determine the number needed to hit the target. If the target has a negative AC then add the number to thaco.

That's exactly what the thread question was.

>neither
>meant both
My wife keeps talking to me and interrupting...

See

How I understand it:
>if targets AC is positive, subtract the number from THAC0 to find the number that needs to be rolled
>if targets AC is negative, add the number to THAC0 to find the number that needs to be rolled

So let's say you've got a THAC0 of 20. To hit AC 10 you need to roll a 10 (20 - [10]). To hit AC -10 you need to roll a 30 (20 - [-10]).

>You tell the DM what your modified roll is
The referee makes your roll behind his screen.
How would you even know what you rolled?

You tell the referee what you attack, he tells you if you hit.

It wasn't designed to be anything more than a demo essentially, major portions of the game would have had to be rewritten from scratch, because the game was hacks built on top of hacks fixing a bug would break other components of the game.

>not 1e grappling
>not 1e psionics

>Like a turtle on its back [...] flailing about and unable to right yourself.
Turtles haves no trouble righting themselves, their shells are near-perfect gömböcs.
They also don't flail around, they flick their neck.

It's spooky how quick they do it, too.
You can miss it by blinking.

So as I understand it, wandering monsters in OSR are meant not to seriously challenge the party, but to gradually wear down their resources.

Thing is, why would the wandering monsters -want- to do any of this?

Why would the 2d4 goblins I just rolled want to throw themselves at the party just so the cleric would need to expend another spell, when they already know the party dealt with like ten of them in the previous fight?

Yeah no whatever

It's a negadungeon that can be used as a one-shot or as a campaign starter. Don't use it in an established campaigns unless you're an asshole.

Angband is the real most osr video game.

>go in
>get the treasure
>gtfo before the wandering monster spawns something that'll eat your gear and not drop anything

What kinds of changes do you guys make to monsters to keep the players on their toes and reduce the meta game "it's a troll, get the fire even though my character has never seen one before" issue?

I'm thinking about making my zombies like coyotes. Animal cunning, ambush predators, one stands in the road to lure you in while four more are in the weeds.

But then is that just a ghoul at that point?

Look up into the Random Esoteric Creature Generator, which addresses precisely this problem.

Wandering monsters represent verisimilitude in a way. It is, as you stated, to wear a party down though it's more to show that everything in a dungeon wasn't static. People, monsters, whatever... they move around, they talk to each other, trade whatever.
The best wandering monsters in my opinion are drawn from the resources of the dungeon, not just some random douches that pop in out of nowhere

This very much. Even if you don't go 'by the book' it is a good resource to mine for ideas

It depends on what level of realism your aiming for, why would the 2d4 goblins know your party has dealt with like ten of them in the previous fight they never saw? If your going full grognard your dungeon has a ecosystem, multiple tribes of goblins and another party of two of adventures running around.

>Turtles haves no trouble righting themselves, their shells are near-perfect gömböcs.
Yeah, that's one of those stupid myths, that seem to presume HURR NATURE UR A TARD, like evolution wouldn't act strongly against turtles who couldn't flip on their own power, or hasn't given rise to much more complex stuff.

I think some kinds of people just find it comforting to envision a God who's kind of a klutz.

Is that in the trove? where?

DM resources > Adventure prep

On the other hand, there's kakapos...

How many one-page dungeon compilations there are out there? I have a 2016 one, but I'm pretty sure theres a '14 and '15.
Is there a *selected* one-page-dungeon compilation? There's A LOT of wonky shit in there.

Starting from 2012 to my knowledge.

You can always use attack matrixes supplemented by weapon type vs armor type modifiers (with the addendum that the modifiers for weapons marked with a * are different for certain armor types if the target is prone and dismounted).

Also - thac0 - ac isn't any more confusing than ac - bab (which is how it ended up working anyway)

>get the fire even though my character has never seen one before

I don't understand DMs who act like there are no such thing as adventurer stories or monster folklore. I mean, Troll frequency is uncommon in 2e and they occur in any land environment, why wouldn't people know about their regeneration and/or vulnerability to fire?

It's like having an ice age barbarian from the frigid mountains who doesn't know that mammoths, frost giants, and white dragons exist.

Does anyone happen to have the Jester class for BFRPG? It seems to have been removed from the downloads website.

Except the myth has basis in reality. The ease with which they're able to flip off their backs depends on the size and curvature of their shell. It's a trade-off, turtles with smaller, more curved shells have an easier time flipping back over, but larger, flatter shells make it harder. At the same time, turtles tend to fight each other by trying to flip each other, a larger shell makes it easier to save yourself from getting flipped over, and to flip over turtles with a smaller shell. At the same time, if a larger turtle DOES get flipped over, it might literally just get fucked.

What most science fans don't seem to understand is that natural selection is not the only evolutionary force that acts on animals, and make it out to be some weird fucking, algorithm that does away with shit that isnt perfect. That isn't true. Sexual selection plays a massive role and CAN in fact result in klutz-like results in certain animals for no other reason than "the opposite sex found it attractive". This is demonstrated time and time again with experiments like Malte Andersson's famous experiment with long-tailed windowbirds. You can affix additional feathers to these birds to the point that it would make flying nigh-impossible, but these birds would die surrounded by horny females. Likewise, you see examples in certain tree beetles whose attenae have gotten so long due to sexual selection it occasionally causes problems for them.

That's where we can come back to the turtle. A large turtle who is more likely to flip over a rival is more likely to mate and have offspring - sexual selection. Things in evolutionary bio tend to be more complicated than the idea of the efficient selector most people tend to think of.

What is your favorite area or location of your favorite setting?

World of Greyhawk, starting at 586CY

I'm putting the finishing touches on my version of it. I call it Encyclopedia of the Flanaess, very very little shift from canon, though i admit its more Gygaxian than the dystopian feeling of the post-wars era. What I have now is a 200+ page text wall that sorely needs art and some typesetting
Anything 3e + ruined the setting completely.

really makes you think huh

I like pre-Grand Conjunction Ravenloft, pre-Prism Pentad Dark Sun, and Al-Qadim.

Have any of you run a cyberpunk game in the OSR-style? I don't know where to begin.

I was going to steal some firearm rules from whoever writes The Garden, unless you guys know a better way to do guns and future stuff.

The only idea I've got is that cool gadgetry is going to take the place of magic items. Even though you can, in theory, buy that stuff, the players are all going to be poor gutterdwellers so they'll probably just have to steal it all until they get rich.

For reference here are the Garden rules I'm talking about. As a side note to the author (cuz I know he lurks these parts), really killer idea bud, I like this stuff a lot.

Mirrorshades, Cyber-hacked, etc.

I'm reading mirrorshades now, and I definitely see some cool stuff in here. I've never heard of Cyberhacked though, what's it like?

Nevermind, I found it in some obscure archive. Doesn't look like it's back up on the BFRPG website, so maybe they've given up on the class or something.

Exactly. And people seem to think that the point in time that they exist, right now, is the end-point of natural selection. It isn't. It's just a snapshot. You could be - right now - looking at a big fucking mistake in nature, which may get selected against and wiped out over the next 10,000 years, but right now it's still a big fucking mistake. We are not at the end-point of evolution. Also mutation: it's not just for cool superpowers.

Ascending: I come from 3e and play drunk a lot.

Post link to obscure archive?
Why even mention it otherwise?

Hey moonman, post all your notes for that crawl on the moon. That shit looks awesome

It's nothing special, I just google searched long enough and found it. archive.org/details/BF-Jesters-Supplement-r2
I guess it's not that obscure. I just mentioned that I found it there so it wouldn't look like I found it on my own computer, or something.

Where can I find rules for 1E AD&D to allow characters to dual wield weapons other than a dagger? Should I just allow it and follow the penalty rules as written in the DMG?

Where can I find good quality tables for generating my own hex map? I get severe choice paralysis whenever I sit down and try to design my own map from scratch.

Anybody here checked out Ars Magicka? I'm dying to play a character in that game. It sounds challenging and fun.

Thanks mate.

Just so you know, I've updated a newer version that took out some stuff I didn't like, but most importantly added in the ability to have gun receivers separate from their munition, so now you can mix and match more gun parts. You can mix and match whichever ideas you personally like, I'm just trying to make the game as good as possible for my own taste, though I know yours won't exactly be the same.

Playing God-like D&D Wizards isn't enough of a power fantasy for you? don't worry Ars Magica has you covered, you now get to control a small fiefdom worth of character.

Plus you get the added bonus of masturbating on rpg.net about how much Vancian casting sucks because Wizards should be able to do everything better than every other class!

It says daggers or hand axes, the latter of which is a d6-damage weapon, so I don't see why including other d6-damage weapon would be problematic, unless the intent was to limit the power of classes that don't have access to hand axes, in which case, you could just say that only the warrior classes, assassins, and monks can use anything heavier than a dagger in their off-hand. Really, I think the stipulation should be whether or not you have shield or great weapon access. Otherwise, you'll always be incentivized to fight with two weapons, at least against targets that aren't too hard to hit.

If you need to roll a 14 and don't have a dexterity bonus to mitigate your two-weapon fighting penalties, you're probably better off sticking with one weapon. For every +1 reaction adjustment you have mitigating your penalties, that number shifts up 2 points. So with a +1 bonus, over 16 is the cut-off point. With +2, it's 18. With +3 it's 20. Approximately speaking, anyway. It's impossible to be exact, because some of this depends on the damage difference between your primary and secondary weapon.

>I don't see why including other d6-damage weapon would be problematic

That's right! Stop stereotyping my weapon choice, shitlords!

>I was going to steal some firearm rules from whoever writes The Garden, unless you guys know a better way to do guns and future stuff.
I like the gun rules in Fantastic Heroes & Witchery myself, as for Cyberpunk, well it depends on what sort of flavor you're going for, from an OSR perspective my favorite would be gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz Troll World setting;
Trollworld
gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz/2013/12/troll-world.html

Trollomancer Class
gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/trollomancer.html

Trollworld Items & NPC Reaction Charts
gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/things-you-find-in-trollworld-magic.html

Troll Master Class
gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/it-is-hard-to-find-cool-pictures-of.html

Trollworld City Encounter Chart
gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/trollworld-city-encounters-d-wandering.html

really need to run a game in this setting someday

Keep in mind random encounters don't necessarily have to be an immediate fight to the death. In most of my encounter tables I add a percent chance for the encounter to be tracks or some other sign of the monster's presence.

If I roll a gelatinous cube encounter and get tracks I might describe slimy bones and armor discarded along the hallway, to keep them on their toes, and make a note to add the cube itself somewhere further along in the dungeon.

Maybe instead of throwing themselves at hte party those 2d4 goblins shit brix, run away, and if the party doesn't stop them somehow they warn the rest of the goon squad

sweet my dude, I'll give it a look-see. By the way: how has the existence of guns changed your OSR experience? Anything I should be on the lookout for as a GM?

The only guns I've had in my games are the flintlock variety, so not a big game changer. I'd figure more modern weapons would change things.

As yet a further side question, how do you run dungeon crawls in this setting? Can you tell us about an adventure you've run using this? I've got a couple interested players next to me and we'd like to hear about your games when you get a sec to write stuff down.

Roll a d20 and add relevant mods
DM compares it with THAC0 and enemy AC
DM calls hit or miss

>By the way: how has the existence of guns changed your OSR experience? Anything I should be on the lookout for as a GM?
>As yet a further side question, how do you run dungeon crawls in this setting? Can you tell us about an adventure you've run using this? I've got a couple interested players next to me and we'd like to hear about your games when you get a sec to write stuff down.

Now I was planning on giving you some shit and making up some generic enough sounding advice to make myself look cool, especially when you said you've got interested players listening RIGHT NOW. But instead;

I haven't run one. That's part of the problem. It's an untested system in an untested setting. Every time I try to get players something bad happens; work schedules conflict, interesting players live in radical time zones, nobody wants to play my shitty homebrew, etc. So I'm just theorycrafting and spitballing until I get some actual OSR DM experience running Garden. Sorry to disappoint.

Now if you want to know HOW I would do it, sure. I'd share that, but otherwise I'm just telling you straight up that you will have to figure it out on your own.

really dude?
really?

I mean I know you are all "hardcore" and shit, but really?

Look at this fucking pleb, probably doesn't even know his pre-revolutionary French history, probably can't even name a 10 French towns with populations under 50.

>Why would the player know what someone else's AC is?
Because keeping it hidden slows things down for no appreciable benefit?

It was written by a post doctorate, what do you want? Its still a beautiful game.

how you'd do it is good enough. I halfway suspect everyone here barely games and uses Veeky Forums as an outlet.

So while that's actually rad as fuck, I was thinking of a more traditional dystopian future. None the less I'm bookmarking that stuff because... man is it neat.

I'll check out Fantastic Heroes and Witchery to see what the gun rules are like. Thank you kindly, user.

>"it's a troll, get the fire even though my character has never seen one before" issue?

Have terrain make fire usage problematic. Like having the battle take place in knee-high water

>problematic
>problematic
>problematic
abandonthread.exe

>Bio-Meat

My Nubian compatriot

how would I make her as a b/x villain?

High-level MU or create a custom class for her?

I have never read that, but I assume they escape and start eating people?

Are the Wormskin magazines in the trove?

Can't seem to find them in there, so my guess is no. But worth a post I guess.

Thanks

Well for one thing, instead of using wilderness exploration via hexcrawls I would use Neighbor hood-crawls. Going outside of Garden and into the dark forest around is pretty damn dangerous, that would be a legit form of wilderness hexcrawl. But for normal gameplay I'd imagine this would be a good way to do it.

As you travel through neighborhoods there are friendly NPCs, enemy gangs that may demand tribute/want to start fights. They'd be shops and businesses, as well as nice casinos taking the place of taverns to sit down at and find some rumors.

Once you get to the dungeons, it would probably be a derelict or decrepit old building. Parts of Garden no doubt have abandoned buildings and tenements. This is similar to how I want dungeons to be. Small dungeons may just be the size of a big house or apartment building, but big dungeons would be like old abandoned factories and resorts.

As for monsters and such, you can always use homeless people and gang members as humanoid opponents of various alien races. As for creatures; remember that Garden is a nexus of many worlds, so any of the worlds one of the alien species in Garden comes from could have a couple of their local weird creatures or plants brought over, which could explain anything.

Speaking of psychics, this is where you'll get most of your magic items, curses and other similar traps. Instead of touching the doorknob casting a spell on you, you'd get assaulted by psychic attacks or possessed by a malign intelligence or something, but the effects would be the same as if it was DnD.

Treasures are another part. There are an absolute huge amounts of interesting ideas here; from technology from other worlds, rare crafts and materials that are useful here, to treasures and luxuries rarely found. You could sell a regular chocolate bar for huge prices to the rich in the city, as coco doesn't grow here naturally. Weird alien beans, pig milk and night-corn syrup just don't taste the same.

>really makes you think huh

Really makes me thing I should take up beekeeping instead of this weird-ass hobby.

Mostly because I've seen most of these questions asked on Veeky Forums before, especially the sex ones.

Working on some house rules for my B/X / LotFP game. Tinkering with classes and giving them some special toys, similar in scope to what DCC does with things like Mighty Deeds.
One of the additional mechanics I'm working on is providing a suite of class abilities that can be gained or upgraded on level-up.
I'm trying to find a good balance of achieving DCC's "fun toy" method without turning it in to an anti-fun 3.PF "character builds" shitfest.

The first step I'm taking is to try make every option cool, but the most desirable "must-have" ones will be built in to the class at level 1 and likely scale with your level. No need to spend upgrades on them and no butthurt from anyone at the table feeling like they are forced to play "optimally".

The second step is to make sure that none of them are already basic adventuring tasks locked behind a "feat tax". Many of ACKS' proficiencies are guilty of this and it made the game unenjoyable to me.

So far, each class will have 12 upgrade options. The first 6 will be generic for all classes, with perhaps some minor differences. Eg. attack bonus, save bonus, increase a specialist skill by 1 rank, increase base morale for certain retainer types, a healing ability of some sort (so that the Cleric doesn't have to be a healbot).

The remaining 6 will be additional class specific abilities that either work with their existing lvl1 stuff, or round out their skill set, or accentuate a certain play style. The main point is to experiment with new mechanics, give a class cool shit to do or reward them for doing cool shit. Like say, "wouldn't it be sick if the Barbarian could force a morale check on enemies every time they make a kill or score a critical hit? Screaming, bathing in blood, ripping arms off n' shit. That'll spook anyone."

I can post some actual examples if people want.

Is this a worthwhile road to follow, or am I doomed to end up in 3.PFville?

>I can post some actual examples if people want.

Please do, but just 1 class. That will help this be more clear.

>Is this a worthwhile road to follow, or am I doomed to end up in 3.PFville?

Well, you're not doomed to end up there, but you just bought a ticket for the 3.5PFville bus, with overnight stops in Heartbreaker, Mechanics Hell, and Tinkertown.

Thanks! Honestly, that's about all I have in writing so far, but I'll try and give an idea of what I'm going for.

>Overall Feel
The Moon is a dead world that is fundamentally hostile to life. Most of the surface is radiation-scoured dust, and the few landmarks are generally not places any sane human would seek out: the blister-like domed warrens of the Slavers, the crystalline spires of the moon liches, the deep caverns where polypous toad-beasts dwell, and the enigmatic Ebon Spire, a massive structure that floats a mile above the Sea of Crises (pic related).

Of courses, adventurers are all about shit like that, so there you go. The Moon is effectively a wilderness adventure for high-level PCs, where instead of tracking food, water, and torch supplies, you're tracking oxygen and mutations. Furthermore, it is a nega-wilderness in the same way that Death Frost Doom is a nega-dungeon: there are rewards here and there, but the risks to life, limb, and sanity is so great that you'd only really launch an expedition if there was a specific, overwhelming reason to do so (e.g., raid the great observatory of the mad moon lich Hrnthx-Grmlu to gain the secrets of the first moments of creation).

>Hexcrawl Adventures on the Moon
The vast majority of the Moon's surface is flat and barren. To reflect this, hexes are huge (maybe 24 miles across), and each one represents a day's travel. The Moon is flat enough that PCs can spot any points of interest within a hex once they're in it. Slaver warrens and the crystalline spires of the moon liches are dungeons; the Ebon Spire is a megadungeon if you can find a way into the damn thing. There may also be mini-dungeons scattered here and there: ruined ziggurats built by a former client race of the Slavers, or the wreckage of an ancient starship.

I'm currently working on an RPG with some leanings towards the OSR but also doing it's own thing where each race has their own unique classes. Elves, Dwarves and Halflings each have three classes (one 'pure' class and two 'hybrid' classes) but humans will have four, each one of those four will go into an archetype at level 3 (warriors can become berserkers or knights, mages become sorcerers or warlocks, etc). Each archetype modifies the base class but the base classes core still goes up as well.

It's hard to explain without showing and I'm typing this from my laptop which doesn't have my file on it, but maybe later I'll upload it to show.

For my two cents, I say go for it.

In addition to the aforementioned hard vacuum, eldritch radiation, and lunar dust, PCs also have to deal with active threats.

>Slavers
The Slavers are cunning and vicious insects that ply the lunar wastes in sleek black galleys. They are the degenerate descendants of a terrible lunar empire that mastered the arcane art of dimensional folding, allowing them to conquer and enslave the hapless inhabitants of myriad worlds. The empire was destroyed by decadence and infighting long before the first humans walked the earth, and the surviving Slavers are reduced to piecemeal raids when the ancient eldritch power they once commanded deigns to allow them to travel between worlds. They cling to faint effluvium of their greatness, horde priceless treasures, and plot and betray one another with well-practiced cruelty.

Yep. It's a pretty good read too, although a bit longish.

True, but it is oddly comforting to know that the hobby has always been a beacon for socially retarded weirdoes.

>Crystal Moon Liches
Masters of the psionic arts, bent double under the crushing weight of the crystalline structure that channels their psionic powers. They have transcended their bodies and corrupted their souls in their monomaniacal fervor to master the secrets of the mind, and sequester themselves in crystalline spires on the dark side of the Moon. Their goals are unnatural and inscrutable, and their methods are inimical to mortal life.

>Idea stolen wholesale from maziriansgarden.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-book-of-six-circles.html.

Thanks man, I appreciate it

Alright. I'll go with Specialist, since it is pretty simple.

Some examples ive come up with so far:

Use Magic Device - Gain a skill (which can't be trained otherwise) at 2-in-6, to read magic scrolls or use magical foci . May attempt to cast a spell from a scroll/focus as a M-U of the same level. Failing this check results in corruption.

Patient Stalker - May take an Aim action and still move. May also use Aim to prepare for a melee attack. If making a sneak attack after aiming, add the ATK bonus to Damage as well (after multiplying).

Contacts - One NPC in any settlement of village size or larger will be or make themselves known to the Specialist. The NPC will be a local and have pertinent information and resources in the local area. They may be an old friend/rival, member of a guild (friendly or rival) or just someone who has heard of the Specialist and their (famous/infamous) reputation. A reaction check determines how friendly/helpful they are likely to be

Dilettante - Choose an ability from a different Class' Level-Up list. If the entry relates to a special ability of that Class, then gain a single daily use of that ability (with the associated Level-Up benefit). If it relates to a spell, then randomly determine the spell.

Remember not to make feats that say "you can only do X if you have a feat."

Let's take Use Magic Device. There's now a feat that's named "Use Magic Device". Can people without this feat use them?

Patient Stalker is fine. Contacts is meh. It'd be better if it was rolled (like in some FATE hacks) rather than guaranteed, to add for interesting story hooks. Dilettante is good design but seems uninteresting and almost parasitic in a way. Its' not interesting; it borrows interest from other classes.

But overall, you're making a game fiddlier. What's the gain? What problems are you targeting here?

So fucking cool, thanks for sharing.
Gardenman: how do you envision the city itself looking? Are the hoods like chicago? Are the buildings weird? Biological sometimes? What's it like?

>Angband is the real most osr video game.
yeah, i can see that.

Armor as Damage reduction and Shields as Parry(armor class) does it makes sense?

Maybe

In case anyone missed it a few threads back, I wrote up a Generic Cleric for Arnold K's GLOG system.

coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/04/osr-cleric-spells.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/04/osr-religion-in-elderstone.html

Next up: Summoners.

Animist Wizards never.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm not trying to fix anything. B/X is just fine on its own.
However, my group enjoyed a lot of aspects of DCC, but got burned out on table fatigue. I thought id take a crack at introducing some of that "fun toys" stuff, without the unneccesary bloat.

Magic items are useable by anyone. Scrolls, wands, rods & staves are M-U only. This let's the specialist try it. DCC has the same as a Thief skill.

I like guaranteeing things. It makes Contacts an interesting choice fir a role player. They get a tangible benefit which they can leverage for the benefit of the campaign. Making the contact possibly a rival ensures interesting conflicts are prompted. Admittedly it is for players and dm's that enjoy improv challenges.

>Let's take Use Magic Device. There's now a feat that's named "Use Magic Device". Can people without this feat use them?
Assuming functions similarly to the way it does in modern D&D, this is essentially just a broader version of the AD&D ability for thieves to read scrolls, which is an expansion, not a limitation. It just enables thieves to use cleric and magic-user specific voodoo.

I've been playing a bit more Diablo 1 and Darkest Dungeon lately, and it's been making me itch for something a little specific. I've been thinking about writing up a module/setting and a few custom classes for either B/X or LotFP. Does this idea sound like it would make for an interesting couple of interesting sessions, or is it too specific?

The players would all assume the role of someone on either side of an ill-fated crusade sometime in the early 1200's. They'd pick between Fighter, Cleric, and Occultist. Things go terribly wrong; turns out the holy land is under siege by demonic monsters. The idea is that it's a sort of pointcrawl with the ultimate goal being Jerusalem. It'd be fun to play something with Ayyubids and crusaders teaming up to fight horrific monstrosities, and the simplicity of an OSR shell sounds like it'd be the best for this sort of thing.

>(maybe 24 miles across), and each one represents a day's travel.
All the more reason to tie all your life-support consequences to days instead of hours.

Why was everything asleep?

>Animist Wizards never.
May you fail at everything you do.

Well on my way good buddy.