Board Game General /bgg/

Last thread
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Prolly asked it before but I'm braindead at the end of a long week; what's the mass market game from your youth that you loved the most? Still in your collection? What about the first game that got you to transition from those into hobby/niche board games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fq7YQD-Drgw
steamcommunity.com/games/446540/announcements/detail/501428497053993026
astralvault.net/games/SA/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I loved Clue. I plan to fetch my old copy next time I go back to my parents' house.

My first hobby game was the usual: Catan. But it didn't really capture my attention much. I had side exposure to a number of others, but Forbidden Desert is the one that really got me into it.

Could anyone give me some recommendations/comments on the following games:

>Tragedy Looper
>Witch Hunt
>The Lords of Rock
>Legends of Draxia
>Fairy Tale
>Crisis: Tokyo
>Ars Alchimia
>Noir
>Eight Epics
>Attack on Titan DBG

I'm currently visiting the US, and I'm looking for some games to take back to Germany. These are the games that caught my eye at a FLGS near me.

>What's the mass market game from your youth that you loved the most? Still in your collection? What about the first game that got you to transition from those into hobby/niche board games?
I'd say maybe Risk or Monopoly, but I didn't like Monopoly very much and Risk was just something I played at camp.
I borrowed a copy of Catan and Bang from a cousin, and fell down the rabbit hole form there. Played Catan for about 7 hours straight with my friends, pulling a literal all nighter.

Tragedy Looper is my favorite game, but it mostly involves analyzing board state and looking at a spreadsheet in order to make logical deductions. It's really not a game for everyone, but I love it since on one side, it's a puzzle game that's actively working against you, and on the other, you're trying to bluff/feign/improvise a plan on the spot.

I felt like Fairy Tale really too simple and bland. It's my only drafting game outside of MtG, but most of the cards were too straightforward and lacked interesting interaction. The expert cards are a step in the right direction though, but they account for a small portion of the deck.

>Attack on Titan DBG
I talked about this game a little last thread in these posts:
If these don't help feel free to ask me anything and I'll do my best to try and answer it

Is it the same "engine" as the Naruto DBG?

Naruto DBG and AoT DBG are the only decent games to use that engine.

>mass market game from youth?
Stratego. I used to play that a lot with my brothers. I liked Risk too, but not as much.

That's a definitive deal breaker then.
I only paid $5 for Naruto DBG and that's all it was worth to me. Traded it away at the first opportunity.

Watch a let's play of the Attack on Titan one, it uses a lot of positional mechanics, it's the best of the games by far.

>buying a Naruto board game at all

Why wouldn't I?
It was dirt cheap and I have friends who I knew would enjoy it or at least get use out of it even if it turned out to be as bad as I expected it to.

RIP
youtu.be/fq7YQD-Drgw

His FoD reprint request was truly wonderful, but I hadn't watched any of his reviews in over a year; surprised he was still going.

why do i love this game soo much

tfw they removed it from Steam before I got to try it.

>what's the mass market game from your youth that you loved the most? Still in your collection?
None and none actually. Designer games have ruined the "toygames" from when I was little. I have fond memories of some of them precisely because I did NOT replay them later. All the ones I replayed, I threw in the trash immediately.

>What about the first game that got you to transition from those into hobby/niche board games?
Arkham Horror. It blew me away. I had never seen pieces you punch out and it was so satisfying. The smell of the game was amazing. The rules were dense. It felt like a roleplaying experience with all the little pieces represented for you instead of a pen and paper. It has sense lost the magic but I keep it in my collection to remind me of how I went from a TCG competitor to a board game enthusiast overnight. It made games about being fun instead of about money, stress, and detecting cheaters.

You didn't miss much.

its coming back right ?

I think it is moving to Asmodee Digital site steamcommunity.com/games/446540/announcements/detail/501428497053993026

I still think Scrable is a fun game, got s copy floating around somewhere.

Zombicide was my first real experience with modern board games and I still own a copy of that as well.

Axis and Allies. I still love it.

Lnoe for transitioning into the modern age of gaming, I guess. I'll try other war games every but right now I'm in love with theme games if they're done right.

To the TTS user, thanks brah.
You did me a solid.

If you want, Ill upload the Character packs after I add change them to the official PnP size.

Nah, ideas are ok, but gameplay is shitty, fucking wording problems (with lack of FAQ) and balance be damned. Also, humour become cringey with new sets.

>what's the mass market game from your youth that you loved the most?
Erm... Carcassonne, i guess.
>Still in your collection?
Not really, but i`m thinking about buying variant of Carcassone (like Amazonas or something). >What about the first game that got you to transition from those into hobby/niche board games?
Shitty cooperative games, well sort off.

I've been waiting for Fabled Fruit to be reprinted, anyone know what's good with this?? //sell or trade me your copy? ;^)

Did anyone here buy dunwich legacy for AH TCG? Is it worth it at all? I like the base game but I'm unsure if it'd really worth dumping more money into it with legend of the five rings set to come out at some point (and will probably end up having better game events)

So gears of war is oop?

Has been for quite a while.

Consider that to play the full Dunwich Legacy campaign, you must get the following 6 small expansion packs as well. If you don't think you're willing to invest in that, or you're not that interested in getting the new player cards to build new decks, you'd be better off waiting for the L5R series instead.

Does it not come with enough to feel standalone then? That's sad. The only reason I picked up the core set is because I could play it solo but if it's going to be that finnicky with expansions I think I'll just stick to videogames.

It has two scenarios, but both of them begin the new campaign, and won't have a proper ending. You could buy the Print on Demand scenarios since those are stand alone, but going through them with only core set cards probably won't be that fun unless you don't mind playing the same deck and the same cards for all of them.

Kinda shitty. I guess I'll just wait for L5R.

Me again, Ill upload both images containing the Hero Realms Character packs for Wizard and Cleric.

Its set to be the same size as the PnP they released for backers.

1/2

Sorry if the quality is a bit shitty but this is what I got from the TTS user so this is what I'll make do with - at least its still readable.

2/2

Also, if anyone has any other assets from Hero Realms like other classes or different expansions, if you don't mind uploading it here.

Sorry I am slightly retarded.

>what's the mass market game from your youth that you loved the most?

Does Key to the Kingdom count?

>why
Shit taste.

>anyone know what's good with this

Nothing. It's just Friese trading on his one hit to sell more garbage.

Anyone played Anachrony? Thoughts?

anyone here owns Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters ?

Game night friday went decently, but as usual the presence of casuals hamstrung efforts to get heavier stuff to the table.
>Cry Havoc
Probably the most dramatic game of this I've had yet. Big comeback win for the machines in the last two rounds. Still think each faction is too pigeonholed into predictable strategies, but the game is pretty good at the tactical level.
>World Championship Russian Roulette
Fully expected this to just be RNG and memes given Burch's name plastered on the box, but there's enough mitigating factors that it actually works pretty well. Art is great.
>Mascarade
Still fantastic.
>Secret Hitler
Still worse than souped-up resistance/avalon, but at least it plays fast. Pretty sure this game survives on production quality and memes alone.

>What's the mass market game from your youth that you loved the most?
Chess with my dad, Stratego with my brothers.
>Still in collection?
Chess. No other mass market stuff in my house, unless the wife still has a copy of Sequence squirreled away somewhere.
>First game that got you to transition from those into hobby/niche board games?
Hard to pinpoint. Had copies of a strange area control game called Power and a Star Trek VHS game in middle school that were pretty borderline niche. Played Catan for the first time at a big LAN in. . . 2002? Didn't really like it, but played TI3 for the first time in 2005 and the rest is history.

Oh god those are shit. Here's an example of the full digital files.

I should scan my whole collection of them. I already did it with Epic (actually had the best mod on TTS before the DMCA takedown). I have like all the Heroes and everything.

Do you have access to said digital files?
Also if you don't mind you'll do me a huge favor if you scan them in a normal way.

Sadly, no. I'm not from the WWG dev team. They only released a couple digitals as marketing material for the kickstarter. Believe me, if I had that shit, we'd already have HD Hero Realms.

I did, however, manage to synthesize an Epic Card Game template using high res digitals. For making customs.

>Cry Havoc
I was watching all the games you like are bad's video about this game and one of his biggest issues is how limited your options are per turn and how there's so little you can do (prolly paraphrasing a little). Do you feel the same way?

Do you have any plans on scanning the Character Packs?
I was planing on sitting and trying to salvage what I can from some pictures I found on BGG, but it looks like it will take a shit ton of time and end up bad.

If you are willing to scan them, you'll do me a big favor.

Also is Tibus your variation of a boss fight experience for Hero Realms?
If so what are the rules?

I certainly do. It pained me to see reviews of this game miss that critical aspect which sucks the life and joy out of it.

Sort of? I have more of an issue with the number of turns than with your options on any given turn, but there's definitely a lack of granularity in actions that feels a little prohibitive, and probably contribues to my feeling that every faction has a very proscriptive playstyle.

Tibus is official and I have no idea what the rules are. I saved a lot of these hir-res thinking I could one day synthesize another custom card template but I was so very wrong. Each card has a different frame that's insanely detailed, including each hero type.

I'll probably scan them at some point. I'm here basically every day lurking, so just poke at me to get on it eventually. It's not that I'm too lazy to do it right now, I just have to catalog them and optimize how many unique scans I need, pull out my grid for digitally cutting them, create a TTS-compatible card sheet with the unique backs for some, and host it all on dropbox (so I don't get DMCA'd again)

OK Friend, I'll put my faith in you.
I'm not in a rush so whenever your up for the task, I'll always be here to reap the rewards.

I'm also a lurker so I'll nudge you a few times.

So I let the mat and paint cure/dry all yesterday afternoon and into today. Was going to lay out the track, and realized I wanted to have the edges defined before I started so I'd know how far from track to border I had. Learned a lesson I should've on the last game map I'd done, putting in a border tape helps because 2/3 times now I've caulked past the edge of my intended size, but painted shy of it, which meant in the end I had to trim short. Thankfully I know early this time, so I laid out the track, and now have one quick patching of the black/blue on the bare spots you can see in the pic. Tomorrow the nebula effects should start going on, which I'm happy about, I've never done this type of painting so I have a day or two to practice on paper.

Was wondering how many of you would say Stratego. STEEV if only you'd join me in a game of Ghost Stories I feel like we'd be the best of friends.

Ghost Stories is actually pretty high up on the list of Co-Op's I'm interested in.

So I actually just got it last Friday to play with my 3 yr old. Played 5 games over the weekend. What do you wanna know

Bump

what does that mean?? I'm wondering about the reprint; will the reprint have any changes and when should one expect it?

Has anyone here played Lattice? How is it? Seems really cheap so was wondering

My country is finally starting to produce board games of his own. It's not like I really care about "muh country" but getting local games is much cheaper than importing.
I went to two release events in the past few months, and me and a few friends are going to another this Sunday. I've seen some good ideas floating around, mostly hindered by crappy production quality (shitty papers and cardboards, lame illustrations, etc).

What country?

I'm from Argentina.
I guess the most "international" game made in Arg is Mutant Crops, but there's one coming out called Arte de Batalla, which might be pretty good. A dungeon crawler with no minis and some deckbuilding.

Does anyone have links to that site with the extensive TI3 variant, or links to any interesting custom Ti3 content? Something at least balanced for the average playgroup, not people who have become experts

astralvault.net/games/SA/

SA has been immensly interesting to my group, both for the regulars and veterans and for new players. Highly recommend if you can get through the slog that is assembling a working conversion.

Buy a laminator and laminating material. Amazonbasics has a very cheap and functional set.

Hero Realms? How does it compare to Star Realms?

That looks really awesome, I wish I had the time and space to do something like that

Anyone play Food Chain Magnate? How was it?

Also, is fury of dracula actually good? It looks boring for the hunters

I didn't have the time for years, but being the boss has some perks if business is good. The space really isn't that bad on this one, the Dawn Patrol proof of concept I did last year was 3'x6' and the uncut canvas was like 5x10. At that size it's too big to move solo since you can't roll it til it's varnished, and you have to keep it away from anything that'll cut into the paint job, or get it dirty. This one at least I could move onto a couch or card table or something if I needed to.

Reddit keeps sucking FCM's dick, but I'm not convinced of the hype myself

I would be interested to play it to see whether it's player-driven or game-driven

i can't find the game locally and shipping is a twice the cost of the game where i live...

could you scan the board and share it please?

Looking for advice from someone who has played gloomhaven both 2 player and 4 player.
I am thinking about getting it but realistically will probably only get to play it 2 player. I heard it scales well but it it is way better as a 4 player game I probably won't get it.

My personal test is to check whether people are talking about how they love the game (exampe: Scythe) or if they talk about how to play it. (example: Terra Mystica.)

If it's the first then it's probably a crappy game.

What if I say that I love the game and why I love it?

Example, I love Battlestar Galactica for the amount of tension it ends up creating while still being a fun in-depth co-op game.

You're still talking about yourself and yur feelz, not about the game. I don't really care if you felt ""tension"" or had ""fun"". If you can't discuss the game as a game, then it's probably a crappy game.

So basicly your argument boils down to you don't understand how emotions can make good or bad points about a game and you have autism

""Emotions"" isn't what differentiates boardgames from a zillion other human activities. What differentiates boardgames is a) formal rules and mechanics and b) competitiveness.

If you played a boardgame and can't articulate anything that's actually relevant to it being a game (as opposed to a movie, book or storytelling activity) then you weren't really playing a game and I don't care for your opinions.

So you're telling me you play boardgames for some "HIGHER THAN CAVEMAN PURPOSE"? Boardgame are just another form of play. People play boardgames because they're fun and social. Well, anyone who isn't so fargone they're a vapid elitist who can only care about mechanics

People also tell stories, watch movies, play sports and drink beer because these are fun and social activities. If you played a game and can't actually articulate any game-related information, regurgitating instead generic shit that's common to any group activity then your ""opinion"" is irrelevant and you should fuck right off.

Not even gonna bother

> "I lost the argument, so here have a meme image response instead".
At least you had the human decency to not post an animu pic, that elevates you a bit above the garden-variety retard.

I'm not arguing with you because you're one of the chucklefucks that even if I stood here and presented irrefutable evidence that games are played for fun and so can be linked to just being "fun" you'd still tell me "HURRR YOUR OPINION DOESNT MATTER". Watch, I bet you'll even fucking reply to this to try and goad me further because you have nothing better to do. Stinky.

what he said made sense, you just needed to sperg out for some reason. he's saying if a majority of discussion he sees about a certain game is emotional rather than literal based he loses interest in it. take that to mean whatever you want about him as a person.

i actually agree with him. people generally gush over how games make them feel because the mechanics are not good enough to speak for themselves. no one ever talks about dead of winter's mechanics because they are shit. they talk about how the game makes them feel because that is where the value of the game lies.

this user you were responding to does not prefer games that rely on making you feel a certain way rather than providing solid mechanics. it's the same "euro v ameritrash" conversation just reworded basically and you really shit yourself about it.

I think i'm facing some sort of board game/card game burnout.

>Using dead of winter as an example
That's a bad choice, yes the mechanics are trashy. Because they're designed in a way to evoke emotions, it's a game that focuses on making stories not point salads

>this user you were responding to does not prefer games that rely on making you feel a certain way rather than providing solid mechanics
It's not even that, of course a game that makes you feel ""fun"" is a valuable thing.

But it's a fact that people don't (willingly) play unfun games, so saying "I played such-and-such game and had fun" is nothing but empty attention whoring and contributes literally nothing to the conversation.

that's my point. he's saying he uses internet discussions to figure out if a game is more of an emotional experience or a mechanical one. he apparently favors mechanical experiences. what he said in his first post was pretty true, you can learn a lot about a game by hearing how people talk about it. i honestly don't get why it caused some dude to get so defensive but whatever, I'm just saying he had a good point originally

maybe. i think most people just don't think past "i had fun with it" and since they're not used to having super deep thoughts about games they assume their shallow thoughts are worth sharing. either way i agree with you tbqhfam

So, any user living in London here? No memeing please.

It's an elitist point desu that didn't need to be made. It was basicly "your opinion is irrelevant if you talk about emotions and not mechanics"

I live in South London and work in Central

Got leads for a good board games shop? I'll be heading for London this weekend. I'm most particularly searching for a shop that sells chess-like minis par unit for custom games.

he didn't say it was irrelevant, and it was clearly someone expressing an opinion and not trying to state a fact. his post literally begins "my personal test" and ends with a statement that includes "probably"

reading can be hard, but give it a try if you're going to interact with people online, friend

You can try Dark Sphere but they're mostly wargames and cardgames. It depends what you mean by chess like

by "per unit", I meant "separately".
I've made an Onitama board a while back but creating the pawns is not something I have either to time or the tools for so I figured I buy some but shops around here are useless when it comes to this.

Redpill me on the new DOOM boardgame.
It seems pretty damn good if you like 1v4 type games, and it plays a bit like Gears of War

Great models as well

It has balancing issues. Some of the scenarios are literally unplayable for the invader and noring for the marines. But the ones that work are quite decent. I would give It 6/10 for the rules themselves. And 8/10 when It Games to the components.

Fuck my phone and autocorrection...

How the fuck does you phone turn anything into "noring."

Probably going to be easier to buy a cheap set and break it apart

it scales perfectly. the benefit to 2 player is games will be shorter, the benefit to 4 player is you will "See" (but not personally play) more character classes in play. .

BUT with so many scenarios, and then the Ks campaign and community made stuff, youll get to see all of them in action 2 player too. And wit the shorter games you can have more double scenario sessions.

Fury of Dracula is good, but it's not for everyone. The hunters do have an optimal opening strategy, which can be boring because it will always be the same until they find Dracula's trail. But after that it can be quite good so long as everyone is on the same skill level.

If people are into the theme I'd say it's currently the best hidden movement game. If they're not that concerned maybe look at Spectre Ops as a shorter option.