EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Maximum New Player Confusion Edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What's your favorite card or interaction that you always seem to have to explain?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bant-enchantment-pillowfort-wip/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ideal-setting/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/green-white-puhoy/
mobile.twitter.com/TabakRules/status/747491137623982081
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/slobad-stax-3/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That will never not look like a large double dildo to me.

Was C16 a mistake?

What would you want to be fixed/added/explored in the upcoming C17?

Personally, fuck ally guilds, make a release with 1 color, 2 color, 3 color, 4 color and 5 color decks

make the other guy take the damage
!

If someone casts Pongify, Rapid Hybridization, Beast Within, Reality Shift, Chaos Warp etc. on your commander and you take it to the command zone, you still get the token/manifest/reveal, right?

Do you get a token from Curse of the Swine? Does Duplicant change his P/T? Does Phyrexian Ingester get bigger? Any other notable cards that work or don't work with the command zone replacement effect?

You'd get hordes of "why wasn't my favorite color/guild/shard/nephilim represented? REEEEE" with that release, but it would be a decent solution to introduce 5c cards to the format since 5 decks of 5c would be horrible

What does /edh/ general think of Amonkhet so far?, Any new Commanders you guys like?

What about the set in general?, Any jank you like?, Archfiend of Ifnir, Bounty of the Luxa, you know the stuff.

C16's biggest problem I think was how boring the Partner Commanders were. None of them are particularly great on their own, and most of them have very little synergy with eachother. It would be nice for more Partner Commanders that are a little more interesting and have some better synergy.

>9000 hours quality

original donut steal

I think they could just do the combination that got shafted in their respective Commander release.

Mono Blue, WR/WB, Jeskai and No-black/No-Blue.

Yeah you'd be sad that you didn't got your favourite color combination, but at least someone that didn't got theirs to be good at their time could get their hands on a better deck.

Hapatra is not amazing but a pretty cute build-around, cycling lands are good enough, As Foretold is impressive in a bunch of decks.

One or two decent cards for specific decks like Dusk // Dawn for weenies, Liliana for zombie tribal, Spanish Second Sun card for pillowfort etc.

insta-buying the monunents, the throne and the vault

>mono blue
You mean teferi? The Fuck are you smoking, that's the best out-of-the-box precon I've ever played.

Autist about Ertai's Meddling is wrong about the permanent exile

What super neat tech can I do with this and lots of ramp enablers? There has to be a multi-target Volcanic Geyser or something.

Why is it okay to play something like Sheoldred or Vorinclex in casual EDH but not okay to play pic related?

Vorinclex is pretty meh. Sure, he's a dick, but you need something to use the mana on, and something to keep him alive. There is no non-degenerate way to use that card.

Why is it okay to play Zur in casual EDH and literally just fucking oblivion ring every fucking threat that shows up turn after turn yet playing pic related is somehow fucked up

But there's literally no reason to not play any of the praetors. Same goes for Burning Sands and Tainted Aether as well, though.
Play also Shivan Harvest and Ruination.

Beastmaster Ascension is so good in Prosh it is ridiculous. Having 6 Kobold tokens + 1 other creature attack to instantly turn on the ascension is the best.

land destruction is unfun for fair decks and can hopelessly lock players out of the game.

Idk if you're just baiting me or you genuinely dont understand that people dobt have fun in games where they have no mana. Killing a threat is completely different to killing a players influence on the game.

How is locking down their lands any different then locking down every creature they fucking play?

Well, I would say that locking down their creatures only locks down one kind of response, while locking down land gets rid of ANY kid of response.

Because non-creature spells exist.

So basically what you're saying is that a creature heavy deck being locked down is fine, but a deck that wasn't smart enough to run a few mana rocks isn't. Got it.

Yup, because how do you play rocks with no lands?

>fair decks
You can have a good deck that's fair and can deal with LD, you know. Only bad deck folds to a wrath of any kind every time.

>I only play my rocks after Armageddon!
There's a time before 'too late', faggot, and that's the time you play some rocks. If you rely on lands as your only source of mana and you're fucked without them, I think it's dandy to sweep them away.
I guess Sunder is okay though.

My land destruction is a one way street that doesn't blow up mana rocks.

I need some help
I'm trying to make a death and taxes sort of deck. You know, the whole "attacking me costs 30 mana," deal.
I need advice on cards and maybe combos to play. Thanks for the advice.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bant-enchantment-pillowfort-wip/

Think what you want, doesn't make you less of a dick.

Eh, it's still pretty luck dependant. I'm fine with nonbasic MLD and spot removal of lands, but blowing up all lands tends to heavily favor the caster, who built their deck to accommodate for it, and locks other players out, often without establishing a wincon. I'd even be fine with nuking lands then ulting a planeswalker so everyone can scoop and call it a day, but often the game feels very unfinished.

Could someone please tell me the name of the other black creature that doubles swamps thats not Crypt Ghast.

Nirkana Revenant has the same effect.

Thats the one. Thanks m8

Whats a few good cards for a buget Nekuzar deck its pretty easy to tell what ill be doing as soon they see him but whats a few good subtle cards.

Anyone got secret tech for Daretti? Looking for some janky shit to fuck with the rest of the table

I just found this guy when I was working on my Athreos decklist. Man I wish it was legendary. What creatures do you wish were legendary?

>banding
Please, stop with this meme.

>As Foretold
>Soul-Scar Mage
>Essence Scatter
All of these are likely going into my shitty Jori En deck.
I'm excited for the red/blue aftermath card.

>Bontu’s Monument
>Dusk // Dawn
>Oketra’s Monument
>Renewed Faith
Some of these will find their way into my shitty Athreos cleric tribal deck.
I hope there's a good mono-black cleric coming.

>Cast Out
This is going into my shitty Daxos, the Returned deck.

>Angel of Sanctions
>Sacred Cat
I'll give these a try in my shitty Jazal Goldmane deck.
A lack of card draw is normally mono-white's biggest weakness, especially in edh. If I get board wiped on turn 5-6 then I'm usually out of the game.
Embalm might be something of a solution to that problem.

I've seen nothing so far that I want for Breya.

Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons is the only legendary that I'm tempted to have as a commander.
I'm sad that there isn't a cycle of Viziers.

I'm happy with Amonkhet. A lot of the cards are really flavorful, which as we all know is far more important than their actual playability.

I agree with this all the way. I think Partner is a really cool concept but it was under-exectuted. I understand how easily partner could get OP but basically every combo of partner is pretty underwhelming.
I'd really like some more partner cards, especially in mono-colors so it doesn't have to force multiple colors. Anything past 2.3 is just too much imo.

Which...to me is my answer to the main thread question. The 4 color decks are way too unfocused. Adding that 4th color just muddles the mixture where almost all the decks I've seen are just #goodstuff instead of anything with even a half-ass coherent theme.

essence scatter isnt new btw

Comet Storm

When something is oblivion ringed, the victim isn't out of the game. They can recover quite easily.

When somebody has all their lands destroyed, they might as well just give up. Recovery is often impossible.

Target removal is also aimed at the largest threats, creating a sort of natural selection in which the most competitive decks are handicapped, while janky decks are left alone.
Wake of Destruction is even worse than being indiscriminate, because it massively hurts weaker decks; mono-colored decks and decks with more basic lands can lose everything they have, while 4 color decks and decks filled with expansive non-basic lands are left relatively untouched.

On top of that, land destruction is frustrating. It's just not fun.

Reanimation spells that pluck from their yard. They'll expect you to keep casting nekusar - wheel without him on the board, and reanimate a bomb. Watch everyone squirm as they realize your tactics are actually working

i highly recommend the card Enduring Ideal, its sick nasty in a pillowfort/prison type situation

btw "death and taxes" usually means something slightly different from "attacking me costs 30 mana". death and taxes is a creature aggro deck that uses stuff like thalia guardian of thraben and gaddock teeg to prevent everybody who's not playing aggro from doing their thing

I actually have 2 enchantment pillowfort decks ive been working on, the bant one has actualy game testing, the selesnya one is forthcoming, they share a lot of the same cards

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ideal-setting/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/green-white-puhoy/

Yeah, I just checked and I actually already have it in my Jori En.
It's nice to know that Past-Me can recognize a quality card when he sees it.

>What's your favorite card or interaction that you always seem to have to explain?
I'm always pleased to explain how Brisela, Voice of Nightmares is still my commander.
I did all my homework on how melding works before making Bruna, the Fading Light my commander. Even if I only get Gisela, the Broken Blade out maybe one in five games.

can you post jori-en? ive always liked the card

Sorry mate, I don't have a list and I can't be bothered putting one together.
It's janky as fuck though, mostly made up of cards I had lying around. Lot's of 1cmc instants, stealing-cards cards, cantrips and enough counter spells to protect my shit.
Knowledge Pool is the all-star, because you get 2 casting triggers for each spell and you'll definitely have more cheap instants than everybody else.

Does Brisela contribute towards Bruna's commander damage?

I think so

mobile.twitter.com/TabakRules/status/747491137623982081

Thank you, this helps me a lot.

Ugh this card is really annoying

Does anybody have any suggestions for beating this card in GW besides Gaddock teeg?

Ugin is designed to be a final strike card without easy answers, because he's expensive as dick and his exile is indiscriminate.
The only answers are pre-emptive neutralizing of it before it could enter the field, such as Pithing Needle, Phyrexian Revoker, or Nevermore.

There is no way to get that attached to Ugin before he's already purged your board state.

Well there's really no answer to a Ugin -x besides a counterspell or a stifle.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/slobad-stax-3/

Outside of some real janky stuff involving giving cards flash or cards meant to specifically stop Ugin from being cast, your best bet for stopping him is beast within.

Mana tithe can be pretty ball-busting if the controller only had enough just to cast him, but that's a much more situational card.

Other than that, you just gotta take the L and deal with the aftermath or tech blue.

Neither of these help because he gets to use his - ability

I realize he's 8 mana it's just unfortunate that he gets around just about every protection thing possible

Revoker actually seems like a good option for my deck

Wake of Destruction is fun as fuck to play in Mizzix; even moreso after Ruination has fucked everyone's non basics.

Question about the Lazav deck I'm putting together: Can Tormod's Crypt or any 'in response' graveyard exiling effect exile stuff like Blightsteel, original Kozilek/Ulamog, etc that gets shuffled into the deck BEFORE the shuffle effect resolves?

C16's only mistake was Atraxa. She'd be fine if she didn't have keyword soup and had to work to get all those keywords, like Slivers do.

I like the partner commanders, but too many of them are durdle-do-nothings or crappy pillowfort effects.

Vial Smasher, Thrasios, Kydele, and Kraum are probably the best of the bunch. DESU I play vial + kraum mad science. It's not competitive at all, but it's really fun and does extremely mean things once it gets going.

>Kydele
>Kraum
Literal shit tier.

Those are different kinds of shuffle effects. You can hit the ones that trigger, like oldrazi, but you can't hit the ones that are replacement effects like Blightsteel.

For more information, read the rules nigga.

I mean, there's clearly a tier list of partner commanders here:

-GOD TIER-
Vial Smasher
Thrasios

-PLAYABLE TIER-
Kydele
Kraum

-DURDLE TIER-
Everyone who isn't Ludevic

-LITERAL GARAGE TIER-
Ludevic

Thanks man

Do you think you could park two cars in ludevic, or would you figure him as more of a one-car situation?

I think I could fit at least four cars inside of Ludevic. He's modular like that. I wonder if my Smuggler's Copters would fit.

>Does anybody have any suggestions for beating this card

I'm helping a friend build a Keranos deck and his card collection is all over the place. He's got some decent cards like Commandeer, Counterspell, Propaganda, and Fact or Fiction, but he's on a really tight budget. His deck is still really sub-par, but I'm having a hard time thinking of budget cards for it.

what are some good budget cards for a Keranos deck?

Forgot to add:

be a man and play blue.

Extra turn stuff to take advantage of his effect, I'd imagine.
Temporal Mastery comes to mind, and MM17 has definitely dropped it to budget range.
Expropriate as well.

>What's your favorite card or interaction that you always seem to have to explain
Once got into an argument because of this: if you destroy Royal assassin in response to him tapping, he still kills your creature. This doesn't make any sense.

Bonus: is Royal assassin called that because he is from royalty, because he kills for the royalty, or because he kills royalty?

oh

I'm thinking he needs some better wincons. Commandeering a Genesis Wave for 13 did almost nothing for him and he lost two turns later last time I played with him.

guttural response

He's called that because he comes with cheese

I mean, the flavor text answers your question.

Well, TRY me now.

>What's your favorite card or interaction that you always seem to have to explain?
FUCKING CONSPIRE, God damn

>play Crop Rotation
>spell has conspire from Wort
>tap two green Elves
>guy Doom Blades Wort, says spell no longer has conspire and the copy no longer exists on the stack

I think he was just mad that I was kicking his ass

Still doesn't really show what he is or who he kills.

Not bad. That being said, why the fuck is this mythic?

Well, he could be all 3.

Well that is the coolest thing I have seen all minute. It's a definite staple to the format. I can't wait to see an asuza deck with this and Oracle of mul daya popping off.

Slightly disappointed it's not a legendary like the other viziers we have seen, but that's k.

Wow
This is insane. Just. wow
Splashable 3/4 for 4 with an insane upside. It doesn't even give away free information by revealing top card.

i'm not impressed, but i guess that's because i splash blue in most decks and i'm spoiled by future sight

Idk I actually think kydele is the most powerful in multiplayer and vial smasher below it

Thrasios is literally the strongest. All you have to do is make infinite mana with him in play (which isn't hard) and you win the game.

The rest are debatable. I just happen to like Vial Smasher more than Kydele because she just doesn't seem to do much. If I want a simic big mana commander, I'd play actual Kruphix with Kydele in the 99.

That said, VS's power scales inversely based on how many opponents you have; he is at his strongest when there's only one person left to kill. That leaves it with a weak early game.

The only way to beat Ugin is to counter it. When I drop it, I'm always just using -X to clear the board. I really don't care if you kill it afterwards. It's already been a massive swing in my favor.

This costs less and is more splashable than future sight.

If you don't play a creature heavy deck though it will feel bad.

Oh right forgot about thrasios

when i'm playing creature heavy decks like kruphix or azusa i tend to have a massive hand all the time anyway.

being able to spend mana however i want also isn't that special for those decks either.

This is dope as fuck

:^^^^)

I play evil twin to get rid of people playing the same commander after c16. It was a design mistake and it forces people to play commander hate.

Commandeer it and bolt your opponent to death.

:^^^^^^^)
Seriously though fuck spells like this, uncounterable shit is uncounterable for a reason. You might as well print a kill spell that can target hexproof creatures. I don't even play blue.