sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

> /5eg/ Mega Trove
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
What are some things you miss from previous editions? Picrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_postal
eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/28819/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Magus.

>Lidda rolls to seduce.
>The statue is rock hard.

>Magus.
> from previous editions

Which edition of D&D is the Magus from? What's it like?

Berserker was a member of the city watch who was framed and had to leave the city. His wife divorced him and took the kids and he has to pay money. He could just ignore it and go off but he wants to provide enough money for his kids to have a good life and fighting's all he's really been trained to do.

Favored Soul was raised from young by the church but never really got along with their teachings. Eventually they had enough and sent him on a pilgrimage he has no say on and he can't return until they say so. He decided he might as well use his magic to try and get rich. Also most likely some character development where he really becomes religeous.

Bow Kensai was raised in the woods as the youngest child with an Elven Father and Human Mother. His step siblings always treated him like shit and eventually found a hermit who offered to teach him. The last of the kids to leave home, he's seeking to perfect his mind and body to be the best archer he can be.

Rough drafts here.

Gonna repeat this question. I'm a level 3 dwarf forge cleric about to hit level 4. Here are my stats.

Strength 19 (due to a magic item)
Dexterity 10
Constitution 13
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 16
Charisma 12

Should I take +2 to wisdom on next level, or Resilient (Constitution)?

I've been wandering what is up with the 5e elves meme, are 5e elves trannies or something

It's from Pathfinder, so technically not, and technically 3.75.

It's a gish kind of class, but it was damn near unique in the way it was. They were d8s, they eventually got medium and even heavy armor on their own, they could use all martial weapons, they used spellbooks like Wizards, they had their own list - which had Cantrips-6th Level Spells, and I can't remember anything else that was like it.

Then they had features that was all around being a gish - like the very first one, that let them essentially dual wield, but they were wielding a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other.

This perfect blend of a martial and a caster - not a fighter who can cast, not a wizard who can slash. Playing them like either got you nowhere.

They remain one of my few loves from Pathfinder.

Spelljammer and Greyhawk...

Magi also had Arcane Pools and Magus Arcana. Arcane Pools are like 5e's Sorcery Points, while Magus Arcana are like 5e's Warlock Invocations.

Is it just me, or are her arms wildly different lengths?

Are there any other fun ways to be a healer without just rolling the same life cleric over and over again?

8 person party, all we have is a tranquility monk.

I understand missing Spelljammer, but missing Greyhawk is absurd to me.

Surely all the material you need to run Greyhawk is already present in 5e?

Can anyone think of any cool components I would need to collect across multiple quests to cast a ritual spell to teleport me to The Void™?

So far I have 3x dragon scales, I need 6 more.

Bards can make alright healers.

>8 person party
Have multiple paladins, or maybe a paladin and a bard or something. Fast Hands Thief Rogue?
Or just buy potions.

Sure thing. One question though.

THE FUCK IS A VOID?

No seriously, is it just the Elemental Plane of Nothingness, or something different?

Ingredients:
1 Bag (Holding)
1 Hole, Portable

Method:
Step 1: Combine the Bag with the Hole.

>It's from Pathfinder
I know. I was being a shit. The sincerity is refreshing though.

>8 person party, all we have is a tranquility monk.
Shit, nigger, what are you doing

I have no idea what the rest of the party comp is, but they've all already made characters, and based on the fact that we've had two deaths in one session, I'm assuming they have not followed your suggestions.

Homebrew campaign dude. My DM didn't want an astral or demonic plane, so we have The Void between worlds. It's kind of cool actually, it's like a big black ocean with a black sky, but you can walk on the water like that bit in Bloodborne.

Anyway, I'm a Warlock and my patron is from there, and the whole reason I'm adventuring with the party is because they accidently teleported me out, and I need to go back.

>two deaths
Perfect, have them roll a Bard and a Paladin.

Shepard Druid. Use the Wolf totem spirit and Conjure animals to make your side an unkillable army.

No goddamned idea, missed the first session.

>Divorced
>Wife is now paid money
Sorry, are you playing Simcity 2020 or are you playing D&D?
Even then, it seems odd that they would be a barbarian rather than something like a fighter or ranger, but at least it explains why they'd do something as suicidal as adventuring, since they have a wife to look after the kids and they might not care about dying now. So I guess it works if he wants to send money to his wife, but I'm pretty sure unless your DM has some sort of utopian medieval D&D setting that he wouldn't be forced to pay money. Or, I don't know, I could be wrong on that.

>Pilgrimmage
Well, I suppose that works. Honestly doesn't sound too innovative, but if you try to be too innovative you can come off as edgy, so you can't win either way and have to strike a middleground.
Could work pretty nicely if you portray them as something of a spoiled guy who starts to realise how cruel the world can be and turns to religion for that reason, though you should make sure he has a good reason to be in the party.

Kensai archer still feels really 'Okay, so you're.. Just a ranger, then, with the monk class? So compared to a proper ranger you're better at stunning people by punching them and worse at archery?'.. Which might actually be okay because they point is they might not be supposed to be 'the best archer ever'.

Honestly I think the aasimar could work best flavour-wise and mechanics-wise (Mechanically as in, 'a new class/class archetype idea').

I have so many regrets. I was getting into Pathfinder as my first ever TTRPG, and I spent like a year trying to decipher it on my own, but 5e came out later that year just as I started to see through the bullshit.

I've been trying to find some way to put them in 5e for the past several days due to some kind of deep inner sperg. Arcane Half Caster is probably the most balanced way, because a lot of that shit would not translate well.

>Bonus action pummel that works with it
Pummel is dogshite, to be fair. But at least it works at range, right? .. It's still dogshite.
>Mobility
Mobility's pretty damn nice on any monk.
>Flurry of blows stun someone for advantage ons harpshooter attacks
You must make flurry of blows AFTER the attack action.
>Ki for +3 weapon
That's honestly pretty boring.

Disclaimer: I think kensai is a stupid archetype.

Huh. Not what I was expecting. Very original.

Anyway, nothing particularly coming to mind. Is your patron particularly evil? Is the plane?

It's like you don't want to be weapon autist.

>Everything is a dildo if you are brave enough

I'll see if they do, only reason I was asking about not playing clerics is because I've played them for the past few campaigns. Hell, one of them might even play a life cleric and spare me the trouble.

Stun works until the end of your next turn and could be used on the pre-flurry attack anyway

Pummel is such garbage that rolling it all feels more like a waste of time than anything.

I'd say it's definitely worth asking, 8 players is rough with any composition but no healing at all sounds... not fun.

>see your dead mom
>be frightened

What? Are all adventurers victims of child abuse or something?

I guess that would explain some things.

Forced isn't what I'm going for. He wants to pay for his kids becaue he loves them. Also I had the idea that maybe he really did commit the crime in a Rage but lies and says he's framed. Goes full angry Barbarian and needs an outlet for that.

The idea of the Favored Soul bring a spoiled brat is actually a good one. Could try to work it in that he knows another PC and it's the only person he trusts outside of his sheltered life.

Also if is you we're clearly not going to agree on Kensai. One thing of note is you're still proficient when making a melee attack with a bow, I can use Dexterity on any attack with a Kensai Weapon and it works with Sharpshooter. So I can melee bash people with the bow like a champ.

Thanks for actually helping me think out the characters though.

By Any Means Necessary. My qualms can’t get in the way of exterminating my foes.

Does that truly mean ANY means? Can you really commit evil acts in the name of the greater good and remain on the good spectrum?

Is there such a thing as a lawful good vengeance paladin or is that paladin just one that hasnt had to make the hard choices yet?

Are you implying that seeing someone who either raised you, loved you or fucked you excepting the detail that they are a distinctly recognizable rotting corpse ISN'T terrifying?

frightened doesn't mean you run away, it means you're startled for a few seconds and get an action penalty

Its a cool effect but players would never roleplay it without being forced.

>nothing particularly coming to mind. Is your patron particularly evil? Is the plane?
well, I don't really need them to be intrinsically linked to the void, think of it like chemistry (after all, magic is just science we don't understand), I just need a combination of items that, when magic'd up together in a ritual circle, teleport you there.

My patron is pretty evil, but the void isn't. It's kind of like an interdimensional space (I co-wrote it, the guy hadn't fleshed it out yet so when I said I wanted a demonic warlock he let me contribute to it significantly), it's a place out of time, an in-between space where dead cities float and forgotten gods dwell. We actually made it a consistent place across all our homebrew settings (we have 2, after 5 years of play, and we'll probably have more), so you can travel to other 'dimensions' [settings] from there. For example, my patron has made his home in the white stone city of Yukio, which is a city from my setting - the void can have fragments of any space and time in it.

True. If someone else doesn't finish it off for you before then.

I guess it works, but I don't really see why you would do that instead of a melee weapon when you already have mobile and are running up to punch them.

Rather, they could strike a balance between melee weapon and bow, switching between the two weapons, because that's something that's really not done enough.
Oh, but then I remember sharpshooter and as below, improvized attack abuse.

I don't think a DM will allow sharpshooter melee for the same reason you won't allow someone with a crossbow to do GWM+SS melee. It's... Yeah.
Though in a lighthearted game I'd definitely allow crossbow to do GWM+SS. It's not overpowered.

The deal with the barbarian is it really doesn't strike me as a 'This guy is angry sometimes' class. I've seen people play it before, but it's.. Underwhelming. It really devalues the meaning of the rage ability, I feel, it's not something any old random angry person uses without knowing. Especially on a berserker of all things. It feels like they should at least have a background in ring fighting or slave tournament combat or something that really impacted them for it to be one of their key abilities.

FS having a PC they know could work pretty well for that, maybe a traveller friend who frequently stops by the church.

At least it's not as garbage as disabling your own monk features, though.

Central Eye of a beholder to act as a grounding agent for the spell

Fairy dust to act as a magical conductor

Unicorn horn to represent good

Vampire ashes to represent evil

an intact pentadrone to represent order

a grey slaads tongue to represent chaos

unicorn horn is reduced to powder and mixed with.

beholder eye is mixed with bone marrow, salt and cold iron ball bearings to form a thick paste and used to paint the outside walls floor and ceiling of the room where the portal will be made.

Fairy dust mixed with the blood of the summoner and used to create the circle.

each of the four offerings placed an equal distance from each other and perfectly in line with each other.

spell cast under a new moon on the winter solstice

If your foes are abominations like beholders or definite evils such as demons and the like, then it can be lawful, maybe neutral.
If your foes are, say, bandits, then it'd likely be chaotic.

Also inb4 objective morality

ignore that seventh line about the horn that doesn't go anywhere, I changed my mind half way through

>Can you really commit evil acts in the name of the greater good and remain on the good spectrum?
What is this greater good you're talking about? It means you will use any means to take down your sworn enemy. That's strictly a personal issue.

Depends on the values of society

Most players at a table have the PHB, but generally don't bring the DMG or MM with them.

Is the SCAG allowed to be brought to the table, especially if running one of the official campaigns, set in Forgotten Realms?

I played a barbarian that used herbal concoctions. He'd chew on fragrant plants all the time, and swallow one when he activated rage. Basically, he took drugs.

>I don't think a DM will allow sharpshooter melee for the same reason you won't allow someone with a crossbow to do GWM+SS melee. It's... Yeah.

Honestly, it's no different to me hitting them from 5 feet back and I'm sure as hell not going to combine it with GWM. Even is he doesn't allow it, I'll suck it up and settle for Archering someone then running in to stunning strike them.

Also I do agree the Berserker being an old guard doesn't mesh well with the mechanics. Which is why I'm sad we never got a fighter with a mini-rage ability, just the +2 Damage and ADV on Strength Checks would be good, let the Barbarian's keep Reckless Attack and Unarmoured.

Your alignment is separate from your oath, and you don't have an (official) obligation to the former. So yeah, I imagine it would be very hard for a vengeance paladin to remain Good forever.

Honestly I expect real life berserkers may have done something similar.

Working yourself into that much of a rage is something that takes a bit of thought in any case. It's not as easy to change your mindset as people like to think.

>real life beserkers

Pretty sure those didnt exist.

I mean the name/profession was obviously used but they werent the angry fly into a rage barbarians we know and love.

here's a drawing of the circle btw. inb4 star of david, i know i know, but I didn't wanna do a pentagram and I didn't have the knowledge or equipment to make a 7/8 sided star, or otherwise interesting shape.

Any cool Half Orc art that doesn't make the face look like a deformed asshole but not a Calvin Klein model? Pic related as its been the best i've found

Different guy but I think I saw some documentary about some guys who consumed drugs because it made them think they were animals. They bit their shields and thought animal spirits would save them from ever needing real armour or some shit.

I don't know how true it is but it sounds like something that could be.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_postal

retread of duskblade from 3e’s PHB2

Wisdom

So I'll be joining a campaign in a month or so.
Our DM wants us to roll up level 3 characters with relatively no idea what the others are doing (so that someone doesn't feel stuck filling a role)
So far we know we have:
-A tank
-Two martial characters
-A mystic
-One other person
-And me
I talked to the DM and already filled in my role as a face/caster. Now my question comes to y'all:
Should I play a lore bard for the skill monkeying and good spell list, or should I play a sorcerer for twinned haste and other shenanigans?
I see the benefits of both but would love your input

If a player finds a spell scroll, can they only cast the spell from the scroll if it's in their class' spell list?

USPS guys really are modern warriors, I salute them and their khaki shorts

Lore Bard if you're already the face

Good isn't always nice. Vengeance Paladins can easily be and stay Lawful Good.

>Pretty sure those don't exist
Allow me to copy paste a yahoo answers answer:

"Yes, there are many historical examples of Vikings going "berserk". Any good history book should have a chapter on it.
I would recommend Gwyn Jones "A History of the Vikings" Oxford University Press 1968."

I mean. That doesn't mean much unless you can find that book, but there are plenty of sources that will attest to berserkers. The theory works as well, that if you attack without regards for your life you could quite possibly fuck someone over or at least scare them away.
I mean, I'm not saying they were ultra effective or anything. There's a lot of grey area about them. But they're definitely there in various history books.

In any case, whether they exist or not, they're generally established in fantasy to be more than 'Just someone who got angry at something and thus hit hard'.
I'm pretty sure the concept is more than just a mental illness.

Yes just like that.

If someone is stunned, you can just shoot them in their face. An incapacitated enemy doesn't hinder you.

4e's Shaman.

But I can still be a face with a sorcerer, they both use Charisma and I'll easily get training in persuasion/deception.
Would damage spells be a problem? It doesn't look like the bard gets very good damage spells for a while

Yeah. It's a shame. At higher levels, you can justify it as a level dip into barbarian where you're not as raging as the other barbarians, but at lower levels you can't really take levels of barbarian without raging as hard as them.

They did exist, Berserkrgang is an actual term used for the seemingly nonsensical rages they flew into. Berserkr means Bear Skin, and Berserks wore bear skin apparently to warn people that they're berserkers in battle and liable to kill allies because they can't tell the difference at that point. Look it up.

Is that the one with the spirit that they can control and resummon?

Christ, that answer is like something straight out of Gulag Archipelago. I think just executing them would be less evil than THAT!

I mean I would consider Warlock as well since it has a couple of abilities that will probably help you be a more effective face at a cheaper cost, but being the face is generally being the unless you don't want to be the singing faggot.

eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/28819/

You absolutely dont have time to go over 100,000 words or however long this fuckmassive pdf is but people have studied this shit extensively.

If sorcerer, pick some good subtle spell. Either way, make a character that will be fun to play. Maybe that ends up being warlock or enchanter. Just try to come up with a good reason to adventure and fit the class around that.

Yeah. The spirit was less 'Animal companion' and more 'Mobile targeting beacon' in mechanics. It didn't track HP (As when you can summon it back next turn, that's pointless busywork) and it was used as the targeting point for your melee shaman powers (So if the spirit wandered around a corner it could pop a guy in the face you couldn't see) while you personally cast your ranged ones.

Not by 5e's PHB - good is nice.

Otherwise it just serves to make alignment even less meaningful if you can't even tell what someone's morality is from it.

Actually, there's been significant discoveries on the nature of Viking berserkers in the last few years, including evidence of a type of nut called a "valnar". When ingested, the nut triggers a massive spike in adrenaline, testosterone, and various hormones, driving the berserker into an intense high, not dissimilar to PCP. Over the course of many Viking military campaigns, the valnar nut was extensively overharvested and eventually became extinct. For a similar historical phenomenon, look up the Silphium plant and its relationship to ancient Rome.
The most remarkable aspect of the valnar nut, though, is that it was a suppository. For maximum effect, the user needed to insert it into the rectum, where direct contact with the intestinal membrane caused an instant, powerful effect. By the end of the Vikings as a world power, directly correlated with the extinction of the valnar nut, they had become so rare and valuable that Vikings would dig through their own feces to recover the precious nut, even sifting through the feces of fellow vikings in the hope that they had lost their valnar. Valnar nuts were even passed from father to son when they came of age.
Of course, the image of the true berserker is due to a condition known as "valnar fisnere", where the powerful, enhanced glute muscles and sphincter caused a particularly well-used nut to crack, releasing all of its enzymes and chemicals into the body at once. A Viking who suffered valnar fisnere would invariably enter a frenzied rage and attack everyone within reach with terrifying strength, before being brought down or overdosing on sheer adrenaline. It's from this terrifying occurrence that we get the phrase "to bust a nut", now unfortunately corrupted from its original meaning.

You know what? I almost want to play a courier. Ranger/Barbarian hybrid, or something.

see

Well I feel like the lack of spell slots for warlock isn't exactly what I want. We already have plenty of martial characters (the tank and two others) that is already half the party. I want to make sure that we can have consistent magic support.

I was leaning more towards bard but I'm a little worried about the damage. I've played with this DM before and he isn't telling me anything but I know he's big into tough combats.

I guess my main concern is if the bard's stuff is worth the lower damage output from their spell choices.

>Not by 5e's PHB - good is nice.

Hm? Lawful Good is "what society expects." Chaotic Good is "per your conscience."

GG's description of Good abides by either.

>Otherwise it just serves to make alignment even less meaningful if you can't even tell what someone's morality is from it.

Alignment is about points on a cosmic conflict, if you can't wipe out the enemy then that does imply that good can only win with help from neutral or evil types.

>It's from this terrifying occurrence that we get the phrase "to bust a nut", now unfortunately corrupted from its original meaning.

Did I just get trolled?

Honestly, I think this proves it.

That sounds like it would be pretty sick in a 1on1 game, not sure if it could work in a group, unless the groups actions are dictated by your job, and they follow you around for some reason.

Yeah, Sorc has Charisma, but I think the face fits more thematically with the Bard. Twinned haste does sound really good though.

Shit, flip a coin my dude.

Dissonant whispers... Lvl 1 3d6 PSYCHIC damage and you can force an opportunity attack from it. That not enough damage for ya?

Well, they'd be an ex-courier when they joined the party, since they went postal.

Do you get an ASI at character level 4 or class level 4? Like would a Fighter 2/Rogue 2 get an ASI?

>Ranger/Barbarian hybrid
Works better then it sounds, just make sure it's a Spellless Ranger and go Hunter Hoard Breaker for another attack to get GWM, Reckless Attack and Rage on.

>Commander's Strike.

Hold Person is perfectly predicted plan.

Class level.
Its to make multiclassing slightly less OP.

>Neutral good folk do the best they can to help people according to their needs
Does not mean
>Neutral good folk will fucking tear off your scalp, cut off your ears and nose, blind you then chop off your feet and hands and leave you in the street
Now, I get it, that's neutral good, but it's good. That's important, because chaotic good's description is incredibly vague without knowing this.
Then, lawful good is 'what society expects'. Not 'what some cosmological force expects'. It's 'what society expects'.

The 5e PHB has nothing about cosmological conflicts.
"A typical creature in the worlds of DUNGEONS &
DRAGONShas an alignment, which broadly describes
its moral and personal attitudes. Alignment is a
combinalion of two factors: one identifies morality
(good, evil, or neutra I),and the olher describes
altitudes toward society and order (Iawful, chaotie,
or neutral)."
And all the descriptions are really more about personality than anything.

You can look it up if you don't believe me.

You won't find anything, though. The government had to hush it up because the digsite also unearthed unnerving evidence of the world being run by Ashkenazi lizardpeople.

My DM's lets us swap a Classes +2 for anything to try and allow broader characters.

Is a Scourge Aasimar Zealot Barbarian the best thing I can do with this?

Dude, don't say "wahh wahh that contradicts what the PHB says about good" and then say "ah, but ONE alignment, which GG described as being much more merciful and benevolent than LG in that very forum discussion, is the rule they should all abide by!"

By the PHB there is no ground to say that LG types have to be weak little spineless cowards that rely on neutrals and evils for all their victories.

wow that sounds, just awful