Possibility of WHFB coming back?

>H-Hey, sorry about that w-whole end times thing, guys!
>I-It was just a prank guys, ha ha!
>I mean, its not like the Total War games did so well, or, um anything..
>We just thought that maybe you might perhaps like to come back and play WHFB again?
>....Please?

Whats the chance of WHFB coming back?

Source on image?

>toys
Comeback confirmed! Get hyped!

It's from a licencing expo last year.

> /toy/

Age of Sigmar 2nd edition confirmed!

Honestly they should bring it back in the for Fantasy Epic type of game, smaller scale and different rules so it doesnt compete with AoS.

I would buy this like no tomorrow

It would be cool if they brought Warmaster back but honestly they seem reluctant to even bring Epic back, so I can't see it as very likely.

>p-p-please bring WHFB m-massa

Cuck

>GW will have to bring WHFB at some point otherwise their ownership of the license will lapse

It'll happen, it just might not be any time soon.

I just want Mordheim

You dont know what you are talking about.

It's their license.

0%.
That will dilute the AoS IP.
Fantasy will exist in video games and things like bloodbowl, but don't expect them to do more because of the model overlap. Also the world is destroyed.

My group likes AoS but not the lore so we just play AoS rules but in the setting of the old world and without the gay terrain effects.

Your setting is dead

>5 Stages of Grief
>Bargaining

Slim to none. The IP will be leased out to other companies.

Don't go back to your abusive ex boyfriend , user! Even if he was was your first.

If there's anything that demonstrates beyond doubt what an abject failure Age of Sigmar has really been, it's the lack of licensed titles. It's been almost two years since AoS launched and we have yet to see one single licensed Age of Sigmar title even announced. It's all still Warhammer Fantasy and the Old World.

This is a doublely bad failure on AoS's part since, in spite of all the crowing by AoS's hyper-defensive fanbase, model sales are no longer GW's core business. Licensing is.

In terms of Wahammer Fantasy coming back, not terribly likely. GW are too heavily invested in Age of Sigmar to pull out and they don't want to attract the ire of retailers by retconning out Sigmarines and leaving them with useless stock they can't sell.

We may see a slow pivot back to the Old World as a setting with the Age of Sigmar being quietly retconned, but the game will still use AoS rules and you'll still have Sigmarines running around.

>this is what fantashits actually believe

>model sales are no longer GW's core business. Licensing is.

>That will dilute the AoS IP.

Same argument could be used for the original move to begin 40K. After all it was just the fantasy races in space.

The thing about AoS is that all the new factions released thusfar are so different to the Fantasy armies. Even Ironjaws have a very different aesthetic to Orks, and are more focused on being an elite army instead of a horde force, so they play differently. At the same time, the existing fantasy races just don't mesh very well with the new armies in AoS; they frankly look out of place with the high fantasy look that AoS is going for.

Given that GW presumably still has the moulds and Roundtree is very keen on exploiting all the IPs GW owns, I could very well see Fantasy making a return some day. Then you'd have gritty low fantasy, zany high fantasy and sci fi on offer.

AoS is so fucking bad. Literally the only place I hear good things about it is on the board from paid shills like you.

As I predicted years ago..
Make room for Hasbro.

Fuck Games Workshop.

I am never giving them money ever again.

If I can get a 12" Gotrek and Felix I'm fine with this.

This! Omg please this. In the meantime I'll continue to work on my Mord-hack but goddamn a remastered mordheim with new models and extended rules would be G L O R I O U S

....what's wrong with mordheim? Last time I checked the game was fine. I'd rather them not fucking it up.

If they don't do anything with an IP after a dozen or so years it becomes public domain.

They personally have to produce something related to it or risk losing licensure.

AoS' failure can be seen by the game not even selling more than WHFB 8th edition when the game was supported by a few kits every year. AoS gets releases every months and it still can't come close to WHFB 8th edition, which was a total failure.

"Talking out of my ass" the post

AoS doesn't even register in the 5 best selling wargames my dude.

you're a fucktard who doesn't research. it's in position 4 right now

I don't believe you.

Wait, so lower than WHFB in 2014. It probaly sells less than paints then.

Who'd have thunk it ?

>Whats the chance of WHFB coming back?

0/10.

I think AoS sells slightly better than Fantasy 8th edition did, but not by enough to justify the massive overhaul and fanfare it got.

But these reports on the most popular war-game are just a load of shit. Some autist complies it by asking his friends in the USA retail sector how much they sell. It's about as accurate as a gangland drive by. Either X-wing or 40K will be at the top and after that it's anyone's guess.

>That will dilute the AoS IP.

Nothing could dilute AoS further than its base state.

WHFB is unlikely to return, though, because companies hate admitting that they made any kind of mistake. GW will never make AoS vidya because the setting and designs are piss poor no effort shit, and they know it, but they'll never bring WHFB back to the tabletop either.

It's actually in 4th.

It's pretty pathetic that it couldn't even beat Warmachine, though. Not Warmahordes - Warmachine on its own. Hordes was counted as a separate game.

Yup, they are shit. Up there with BoA, Comcast and United.

I enjoy witnessing fanbase civil wars

GW are geniuses

I remember how butthurt GW got when X-Wing starting kicking their ass.

Even bothered to go on twitter to say they make miniatures not toys, when someone said something about pre-painted stuff.

100% certain they are trying to push the plot and primarchs so hard because they're still not over losing their market share from nowhere.

They probably still don't believe the balancing and competitive scene helps retention.

Fuck, they might still believe retention is unimportant to a niche hobbyists market... retards.

>there are people ITT who think the same poorfags that bitch about $10 DLCs were going to drop hundreds of dollars on a tabletop wargame and spend countless hours painting models despite having no experience
Are fantacucks this delusional? Why the fuck would anyone who isn't already into tabletop gaming start playing Warhammer fantasy because of a video game?

You think people didn't buy the DLC or the game?

Think again. TWWH was an incredible financial success. It sold like hotcakes. A vocal group of people doing a lot of bitching is not indicative of poor moneymaking power. We bitch about all the companies we buy stuff from, but we still buy that stuff.

This. I'm an alcoholic. I hate that I am. I attend AA meetings. I still buy alcohol.

Considering WHFB's financial failure, I don't see why GW would make such a bad decision. The game was outsold by the paints and brushes out of all things.

They'll learn soon enough as AoS slips into the dustbin.

There is no way that system will create the same level of loyalty that Fantasy did.

>Hordes was counted as a separate game.

This still confuses me why they don't just lump them together into one game as far sales go. Fuck, just rebrand both as Iron Kingdoms: Warmachine and Iron Kingdoms: Hordes and the just Iron Kingdoms as one thing.

nah if Hasbro were to do a Warhammer based line, whether Fantasy or 40k, it should be done in GI Joe scale

Incorrect. As the storyline of AoS follows on from that of WHFB, they are still making products within that line. AoS is WHFB. Hence their logo, or, if you'd prefer...
>pic related

I wonder if they include models from 8th edition and earlier that they're still selling as sales for AoS since they technically don't sell Warhammer Fantasy Battle models any more.

well shoot, I hope you can succeed in overcoming that human failing

You know, I was aware that British copyright law was a goddamn dumpster fire, even compared to the clusterfuck that is American copyright law, but that can't possibly be how the law actually works, right?

>Think again. TWWH was an incredible financial success.

After the practices such as reselling the game at full price and incurring the wrath of historyfags, it will be a failing joke.

It's safe to assume an user on Veeky Forums is not the best source for legal advice.

As to OP, anyone thinking they will ever bring the tabletop back after investing so much into refreshing the brand is deluded.

Why would you want WHFB to come back ? It's not like GW can avoid to fuck it up anyway, better stay with Kings of War.

He's too busy driving for Williams, user.

I apologize. Couldn't resist the F1 reference.

For the price of one nagash and an undead starter box, you can play as almost any faction in the game in both easily customizable battles and long empire building campaigns. You can do this in a way much more lore friendly than the TT will ever be, and see all the action occurring in cinematic real time.

I bought all the DLCs because it's really not that expensive, at all. But why would I want to spend at least 5x just to play as a single army that will take me hours to assemble and paint, with a very limited player base in my area, when I have the video game?

My main point was that total war wasn't going to attract very many new players to the tabletop unless they were already into war gaming

Fantasy as well got beaten by Warmachine.

X-Wing's success likely has less to do with balance or competitiveness and more to do with it being based on fucking Star Wars. There are probably a decent chunk of people who don't even play the game and just buy every ship released for collection purposes.

This was always the concept that made the idea that Total Warhammer would somehow save Fantasy a complete pipe dream. At it may have gotten some people interested, but not enough to pull it out of the ditch and allow it to continue on as it was.

There truly is no way of knowing, but like the above I would not be surprised if this is simply something some Fantasyfags tell themselves to feel better. The more popular armies in AoS appear to be those with a battletome that is worth a damn and of those the Fantasy kits included as part of the overall army range are very small.

The same level of loyalty that ensured people just bought shit from 2nd hand market and used 5th edition models in 8th edition, resulting in low sales?

Also the second hand market from WHFB is still affecting AoS's sales.

I'm gonna be playing Freeguild and Soulblight mostly using Empire and Bretonnia kits. My buddy plays Seraphon and I'm selling a fuckload of black orcs to another friend who wants to play Ironjawz.

The fact AoS is reaching fourth in the war games market is impressive considering most people who play already own their armies or can get them cheap off eBay.

Could argue that was GW's fault for thinking a system where you need lots of models for a unit was a good idea.

allofmymoney.jpg

>we are seeking licenses for video games for WHFB
Get it together OP, they just want more cashgrab games like TW Warhammer. That's why they're making TW Warhammer 2.

>It's about as accurate as a gangland drive by

It is notoriously shitty - the Chapterhouse debacle, for example, was definitely caused by a shitty clause (Spot the Space Marine may also have been, as "being seen to be defending your IP" often leads to shitty actions (not that GW is alone, FFG have done it too) but that was also at the nadir of GW's shittyness, so who knows there), it may well be that the lapse period is very short there - though 12 years sounds like about half of what a lot of IP stuff is (and for books it's a lot longer)

>the Chapterhouse debacle, for example, was definitely caused by a shitty clause
That clause is one of the few things in IP law that make sense. It basically translates to "you cannot hold copyright over something you have never created". Without something like that we would be even further into crazytown.

True, but it also leads to "doesn't have a model? not going in the codex", which isn't great.

In a general sense, I'd say it makes sense though

>doesn't have a model? not going in the codex
Which is frankly only a problem with GW. I don't know another miniatures company with that issue.

Maybe because no other company has litteraly dozens of 3rd parties trying to leech on your success by selling similar stuff.
It's also an IP problem. This was their way of making sure people can't take advantage of it. You'd be surprised at how much stuff GW was "forced" to do, in order to keep its IP safe.

Also no other company has decades worth of unsupported models and factions.

And I would not be surprised.

Or maybe because other companies rely on their own quality or prices to sell models, not only rules.

You don't see Warlord coming up with that shit for Bolt Action or Mantic for KoW.

I still find the fact they axed such a good ip strange as hell.
They could have just kept it around in some form.

Non, your awful game with terrible rules is dead. It's gone like your models in flames

I might be wrong, but I presume it can be explained by the fact that the GW IP is very recognisable. And even then, they had trouble making proper barriers for it.

Imagine how silly it'd be if some company tried to get the rights on American/German WW2 troops, or medieval peasants.
Bug dudes will PAULDRONS and egyptian terminators are a wee bit easier to do.

This theory is wrong why do people keep repeating it 40k is/was copied more than WFB

Which is exactly what I'm saying.
It is more copied, hence why GW has to be more protective of it, in order not to lose it.

Well, pretty much every single miniature hobbyist in the fucking world buys GW paints from time to time, even if they don't even own any GW model.

Can confirm. I mostly use Vallejo, but some GW paints are just better. They still haven't switched to droppers though which in this day and age should be considered a crime.

I haven't bought a GW paint since 2008.

but then the paints won't dry up forcing you to buy more of them

Want a pat on the back or something?

>It was just a prank bro!

I think they burned that bridge pretty good.

Naaah, WHFB is still an IP but i think it will just be computer games from now on.

Their new metallic paints are an absolute blast, you're missing out honestly. The rest is all right.

>After all it was just the fantasy races in space.
Extra funny considering that pretty much describes AoS too.

I don't it. Generally things become public domain regardless of things being made but it's like 50 years later.

Does it boggle anyone elses mind that something like 30 years of warhammer and only recently do they have a dedicated outlet for selling (XXXL) shirts? I mean going years back you could only buy tshirts at Games Day or special events at your store. Crazy shit...

except they are distinct products with separate branding. You can't create a new IP and claim it's identical to an IP you already own.

They need to release something with the WHFB name or its no longer theirs.

>historyfags
>mattering

Funny joke

>X-Wing's success likely has less to do with balance or competitiveness and more to do with it being based on fucking Star Wars.

Didn't help Armada in the slightest.

X-wing has amazing player retention, that's not just from impulse buyers.

Slim to none. WHFB getting killed off had NOTHING to do with sales and EVERYTHING to do with the Chapterhouse Lawsuit failure.

They needed to rebrand EVERYTHING in FB so they could copyright it and AoS and 8th edition was the result.

8th edition was GW trying to put out an edition SO shit, and SO expensive to play with it's emphasis on expensive multipart monstrous cav/inf and gigantic infantry blocks and SO imbalanced with it's magic rules and then armybooks written by Matt Ward* that it would tank.
But we still lapped that shit up and called it a masterpiece.

*It's not that he's a bad designer so much as he's a terrible fit for WHFB and more importantly that GW KNEW he wasn't good for fantasy. THAT was why they pulled him off fantasy permanently after the Daemons Armybook.

Armada isn't a game, it's an experiment to see how counter-intuitive you can make a game system and still sell if you slap FFG and STAR WARS on it.
At this point, it's a vanity project because a couple of guys in their office like the game and they making SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY from XWMG that they figure "why not?"

As much as people on Veeky Forums seem to be utterly rampant autists about it, it's obvious GW don't hate the WHFB universe, but have just ran out of shit creatively and economically on what to do with it.

The End times will be seen as the end of the game, period.

But the license is still there, so they're effectively renting it out to other people to tell the story through different mediums.

I'm pure vallejo except use P3 inks and GW's blood technical.

I don't think there is any GW paint I prefer.

Vallejo Metalics are way better, and I've used citadel extensively.

Valejo aluminum fucking glows, amazing for edge highlighting.

The warbands need some rebalancing, but big surprise there with GW. I think it could use a little bit of modernization, but that's why my group plays with a heavily house-modified ruleset.

underrated

AoS being GW trying to license everything makes sense though. Remember in 40k afterwards when GW systematically started removing units and special characters they didn't have official models for from newer Armybooks?

Were they trying to kill the game with 8th edition though? Seems unlikely to be honest, they put out a lot of armies in a very quick period of time for 8th, I think there were years where WHFB actually got more releases than 40k did during it's lifetime.
And it's not like 8th was all that bad, just a little out of focus. It really felt like we'd have a great ruleset with just a few little tweaks and buffs and nerfs and a bit more consistency.

Near the end though, it definitely began to shit the bed pretty hard with the Elf books. End Times was okay until the last book.

As for Armada though, I think the main problem is that it's too expensive to get into. The point of X-Wings success isn't the STAR WARS logo, it's that it costs a reasonable amount. That's why Wings of Glory doesn't sell in the same amount, because Ares Gaming charge over £40 MORE for their starter sets.

It's that tempting starter price, simple core ruleset AND the star-wars licence that makes X-Wing sell.
Armada has only got that last thing.

Guess you don't understand how development cycles work... cute.

There's zero chance, now please go back to your groggo leper colony