Can I get a quick rundown on this system?

Can I get a quick rundown on this system?

It's not any good.

From looking at the quickstart guide it reads a bit like a DnD-ish system that tries to be grimdark

>green ronin

uhhhh

I know /v/ loves to sperg about this shot and this scene but this actually made perfect sense to me

Sten from game one was confused by WOMEN being warriors. Individuals who identify as women cannot be warriors, that makes no goddamn sense.

Krem wasn't a woman, Krem was a man. Krem wanted to be a man. OK, fine, your a man. You live as a man now, you are no longer a woman. Everyone will treat you as a man. You are not a woman warrior, you are a man warrior. Given Qunari culture has no problem assigning your life long job and position to you from a very young age, I doubt they have a problem assigning your gender to you.

There is probably a process. Your handlers probably interview and observe you. Which means at some point, a fuccboi could actually fail at being a man, and be forcibly assigned as a woman. Or vice versa, that means no tomboys. Fetishes aside that's pretty horrifying and equally Qun.

And if you don't like all this, 1, you're autistic, 2, remember that Bull's actual name means 'Liar'

>Implying it's making it any better
>Implying Bioware is competent enough for that

Hey, they had a sort of okay adventure path for Not!Japan.

>trannies exist oh no the world is ending
Grow up or go back to /pol/

No that's exactly how it works in the Qun. You don't get surgery. You don't "cross dress". You're just whatever gender socially they say you are because otherwise the whole thing stops working as written.

It's a kind of 1984ish double think concept. You find that a lot in the Qun.

I played it for about a year before getting tired of it.

It plays well enough in the low levels, standard "Like D&D but...". Thing is modifiers quickly pile up and the players get insanely good at their specialized field very quickly in a way that does not feel like it was intended.

Armor was a recurring problem. It's a simple armor subtracts from damage system, and when the party got their gear upgraded enemies simply stopped being a threat because the players ignored so much damage.
As a GM you only option of creating a real threat to the players quickly become to try and go around armor. Introducing a monster that deals insane amounts of damage, taking their armor away, using enemies that ignore armor etc. Which doesn't really solve the underlying problem.
What bothered me was that I could introduce a room full of Darkspawn (orc stand-ins) that are supposed to be the setting's ever present threat, and the players would simply chew through them in a boring slugfest that never became dangerous. If the Darkspawn could be defeated mechanically by getting a few guys into full plate and just slogging through them one by one it didn't make sense for them to be a huge threat in the setting.
That to me is a cardinal sin in game design - if your rules don't support the setting what else is there? Dragon Age is supposed to be dark high fantasy where everyone can die. The system makes players immortal superheroes.
TL,DR: Okay system for the first two or three levels, then the obvious flaws get too obvious to ignore. Doesn't really capture the setting.

>cont.

Magic was also insanely overpowered. The system does the old mistake of trying to balance casters by giving them low HP and poor fighting skills, then immediately skewering any sort of balance by giving casters access to spells that make those drawbacks irrelevant.
The party's mage outdid everyone in combat by continuously starting out with a protection spell that gave him more armor, then following up with a spell that damages enemies and heals the caster in proportion to damage dealt. Both spells were obviously supposed to be weak, yet the player didn't even need to try and min-max to get so insanely good at them that they made him better in combat than dedicated fighters.

The stunt die is a fun idea. Basically you roll a third die with your normal 2d6 resolution and if you get a double you read the stunt die to see how many points you can spend on crazy effects. The basic concept was good, but the choices are limited and only really focus on dealing more damage. I think it would have been more fun for us if the players could simply make some crazy shit up when they got a stunt.

It's not particularly good. I think my group made it two sessions in before we lost interest, and it didn't help that three out of six of the players didn't give a shit about the setting at best and one actively thought it was trash since the first game came out.

DCC has Mighty deeds for warriors which work similarly, you could nab those.

I'll give them a look.

I've hearing good things about DCC. Truth be told I've never gotten to read any of the books because the enforced Grognards-ism turns me off. Using tons of stupid shaped dice for no reason, encouraging the reader to 'swear' not to have badwrong fun with the rules, retarded amounts of random tables etc.

It's also not my cup of tea usually, but it's occasionally fun to pretend you are being a grog for an afternoon. Just embracing the lolrandom fun aspect.

Though, I'll be honest, out of the 5-6 times I played, 0 were funnels.

They didn't have mechanics for darkspawn taint or fade demons possesing mages. Because those 2 problems sound like they should be mitigated in universe.
Sure you can wade through an army of Darkspawn but now you're going to die painfully unless you try to join the Grey Wardens and die slower.
Sure you can incinerate everyone with a fireball but that pride demon's trying to jack your body.

Hot libtard garbage.

They added demon possession mechanics in the second rulebook, I think
Might be the same with the Taint, I can't remember

They did alright with WFRP 2e and Mutants and Masterminds.

People post this screenshot like they just randomly drop that 'tranny-bomb' at you at the first dialogue line. I exhausted both Krem and Bull lines and they never explained Krem gender to me, in 2 different playthroughs. that's because for you to get an explanation on it, you have to actually follow a specific sequence of going from 1 to the other, rather than randomly talk them both to exhaustion of dialogue lines between quests.

So they don't simply shoehorn the character gender dysphoria is the player's face. If a player shows to be interested in that character background, there's a line explaining how it's possible in lore. If a player don't care, he can go the whole game and only ever see Krem 1 during the animation he meets bull.

Whining about this so much only proves that the problem of most people isn't transgender people and their stories being shoved into their faces at every oportunity, they just get 'triggered' whenever they show up.

Someone's triggered.

This is true. I played the whole DA:I and tried to get all dialogue and never saw this.

>Krem wanted to be a man. OK, fine, your a man

*you're

But that sentence is where the problem is. The Qun doesn't give two shits about what you want, it tells you what is needed and you fit that role or get sent to re-education camp.

Some girl who says, "I want to be a man and a warrior," should be slapped and told, "You're a girl, we need you to give birth to children to expand the Qun. Also we need a farmer, take this hoe and start planting."

>I could introduce a room full of Darkspawn (orc stand-ins) that are supposed to be the setting's ever present threat, and the players would simply chew through them in a boring slugfest that never became dangerous.

This is an accurate reflection of Dragon Age Origins gameplay

I put it down to Iron Bull being a professional liar.