40k art thread

Place to share pictures you like, find pictures you like and possibly even explain why you like them.

This one's Grimaldus standing with Ekene Dubaku, last of the Celestial Lions (iirc) during the 3rd Armageddon War after they were almost completely justasplanneded into the ground by the inquisition for not being totally heartless.

tfw mont'au devils and daddy issues make you borderline khornate

I like ones which remind you that despite all of the high fantasy grimdark going on that there are some real people in this universe.

This one got me pretty good

I never realized that the artist there, didn't just reference another picture, but likely traced it, as the back of that shuriken catapult has a lot more in common with a kalashnikov than a shuriken catapult.

what other picture is he tracing?

Do you have the original?

I always thought that looked like a fairly realistic skirmish when compared with the more typical 40k depictions of battles like pic related

that fire warrior is looking totally the wrong way
i've heard that tau have poor eyesight, but you'd think he'd see the guardsman who is literally stood there right at his feet

a classic

THE classic

little baby ork axe

I still can't believe there as a goddamn Tau videogame.

I fucking love all those banners.

But not enough to attach the right image.

It's a shame that this supplement is probably lost to time.

But user, there is for the PS2

Art by Roman Tishenin, dude has an artstation thingy.

More dakka?

That's awesome. Anyone has more old school grimdark?

It's been posted on Veeky Forums, but I couldn't manipulate google or 4plebs well enough to find it. But there's a picture of two Syrians fighters in the exact same pose as the two Eldar on the right. The Eldar whose Catapults look like AKs

I found it today browsing /wg/Talk about coincedence

>i bet you're wondering how i got here...

This is probably one of my favorite pieces from 40k at all. Really good definition and a good realistic interpretation of a skirmish.

Pic related is probably my top favorite from 40k. It shows a more respectful level of cooperation between the Guard and Astartes; it's also a bit more golden-age to me where the Astartes were a bit more like people it was easy to connect to instead of walking parodies of their Chapter stereotypes.

It's a lot dirtier than modern 40k art, but it's not nearly as gritty, if that makes sense. It feels like it could have actually been some veteran's recollection of the event instead of an over-designed propaganda piece.

I'll try cross-referencing it once moreIt's a bit of a shame that there aren't that many pictures of 40k in more reasonable combat
I guess that wouldn't be the 40k way

Something about the simultaneous fluidity and solidity of their stances turns my crank.

>for not being totally heartless.
Loudly and publicly denouncing a near-infinitely powerful branch of government pretty much never ends well in a feudal totalitarian system. Not sure what the Lions expected to happen.

Old school ork art is the best.

Ugh I want these instead of the lame ass Tyrannic War Veterans we got. The Flesh Hook purity seal is just too sexy...

This Picture

Why:

First noise marine artwork I ever saw. As a young boy he just looked amazing and it's just stuck throughout the years.

On one hand hes cheesy like old GW stuff, on the other he has a bit of a timeless feel to him.

Never seen this before, it's cool AF.

I've always loved this picture for the rhizome tactics. It shows Marines and other forces in the 40k grimderp world not just relying on the good ol grimdark trope of two long lines of opposing forces duking it out from about five metres away.

This is more befitting an elite force. Think you have cover? Nope. Think you have concealment? Straight through the wall. Think you have the entrances covered? Every wall, floor and roof is an entrance you forgot to account for.

Does this count?

Sweet power pack vents...

Hang on, is that a tacticool bolter? The exterminatus makes sense now

You want old school grimdark? You get old school grimdark!

Here's some of the oldest grimdark I got!

>implying tomas wouldnt be a proud ultramarine
its like youve never watched the show. edward on the other hand...

what chapter would he be in?

Not as old but still pretty damn grimdark

I like this one because I'm sure they would have played WH with me in JHS

well done, detective

plus it looks like he's ejecting his magazine at the orks

'out of rounds, fuck it'

I like this one because there's so much going on in it. I vaguely remember having seen it in the apocalypse rulebook but it had lots of little numbers to show you where key events were happening in the battle.

This is nice but i feel the faceplate is a bit far down the body

realised what it was reminding me of

When the updated land raider first came out it blew my fucking mind. This art, and that one cutout schematic they put on the double sided poster are probably top two.

Still have my old beater I put together at the launch. Hinged door still works, too.

This image is just quintessential 40k to me. It sums up all you need to know about the setting.