Modern General

MODERN GENERAL
cycling force spike edition
Hopes for new cards?

Hopes for reprints?

What flavor of death shadow are you playing?

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

I think this card is decent actually, keeping your opponent off curve and then cycling late game seems pretty good

yeah because mana leak is so good

Mana leak doesn't cycle though?

Yeah and it's also not a shitty overcosted force spike.

But it's ok because it cycles lmao

>implying mana leak isn't shitty overcosted force spike

Mana leak can still be relevant later in the game unlike this :^)

Good deck when?

>cycling isn't relevant later in the game
;)

This spell isn't very relevant in the early game and it's a cantrip late game

and mana leak isn't very relevant in the early game and it's a dead card late game

When 8th and 9th editions are banned from Modern :^)

Mana leak is relevant for much longer than this card could ever be

>opponent plays 1 mana threat before you can play mana leak
>lose with mana leak still in hand
mana leak is irrelevant the moment it's in your deck

Nice meme :^)

>opponent is on the play
>they play a one drop, then a 2 drop
>lose
Yeah mana leak seems pretty bad

>not playing gemstone caverns and spirit guide for the t0 mana leak

>not playing triple SSG to get around mana leak

SHEEEEIT WIZARDS

Literally a 4 of in every standard deck from now until rotation

>It could have been Never // Ever
ONE FUCKING JOB WIZARDS

maybe not, they're making spot removal great again. we might get better in the next few sets.

Nah, still shit. Best case scenario you never their 4 cost gideon then return to get the 2/2 the gideon made for 3 more mana total. Saheeli combo laughs are sorcery speed removal as well.

These sets use "to" because one card gets cast after the other. So in this case it's Never //to// Return. the other ones will probably make more sense now.

Rags to Riches
Destined to Lead
Ready to Fight
Cut to Ribbons
Never to Return
Never to Ever
??????????

>Never // Ever
>Never to Ever

Saheeli combo only beats sorcery speed at 7 mana, and god help you if you don't have instant speed removal at 7 mana in standard, this card kills Gideon's and Saheeli, it's going to see a shit ton of standard play, GB constrictor will love this

>planeswalker hate, just in time!

no one plays pic related right now either. Being able to pay 3 then 4 is a significant upgrade from 3 or 7 all at once, but the biggest problem is still that this card isn't good enough to beat the tier 1 decks and doesn't fit into the tier 1 decks. Maybe after BFZ rotates but not in the current standard environment.

>Maybe after BFZ rotates but not in the current standard environment.
see

yeah you're right I guess, kaladesh and aether revolt will keep standard dogshit long after BFZ is gone.

Its better because it costs U to cycle :^)

Alright boys, I'm buying into the Death's Shadow meme to build Grixis Shadow

How do you play goyfs in grixis?

Please play test my Mardu list first I really like it and lingering souls is better than every blue card in modern right now

Gonna spam that Mardu Shitbrew in every thread bucko?

It's better than Grixis in my opinion, blue provides nothing besides snap, I just don't think it's a good deck. Not a shitbrew btw, I've had success with it. But thanks for your gay opinion

this is a semi-correct assessment of the card

short answer is the card is hot garbage and will see 0 play

long answer is that sorcery speed removal is unplayable in a format where 3 mana "I win the game next turn" walkers, and Gideon, Ally of Zendikar both exist. Against decks that play either one of these cards it is a losing play to waste your whole turn to play a 3 mana removal card when they are just going to keep playing follow-up threats
it does nothing to get tempo into your favor and is more of a speed bump on the enemy decks way to victory than a real path to turning the game around

if it was instant speed it would be a whole different story because then you could kill their walker on their turn and make a strong tempo play on your turn or draw go and make another strong removal play against them securing the game in most cases

wotc once again in the same situation where they find themselves every single time
1 mana is the difference between format defining and unplayable trash
sorcery vs. instant is the difference between "best answer in standard" and worthless
1 power or toughness makes or breaks the card

they really need to stop erring on the side of caution and make a few of these cards format breaking to help shake up stagnant metagames

I'm still new to magic, so i wanted to ask you guys if with the release of AKH are the Eldrazi cards going drop on price?

unlikely, they see very little standard play right now

Drop from what? Cheap to free?

Any burn players run this as a one of? It's tempting my dumbass

How many cards do you draw in a normal burn game? Less than 7 and the majority of the time this has no miracle cost

Thoughts on serum visions or surgical extraction to replace G probe in UG infect?

There's no replacement desu

Technically as long as it's not in your opening hand and you made your turn 1 land drop then it's got a miracle cost.

You're basically gambling on not having it in your opening hand so you can dome them for a quarter of their life for 1 mana.

if you want to be technical there's no combination of cards that will ever be played seriously in modern that stops this having a miracle cost. It has one even if you don't draw it as your first card of the turn.

Guys I need some serious insight. I REALLY want to build affinity, and I already have a lot of pieces, but I need 3 opals.

What are the actual chances of it getting banned? Im feeling like Traverse or Deaths Shadow might eat it instead. Im really nervous about spending that much then biting the ban bullet.

Fuck, what do I do.

0 chance

So I'll switch out 1 searing blaze for thunderous wrath

This card is better in multiples because you want high chance of miracle not low chance of it in opener. Run with lightning axe to discard extras

Tried it. Pitched it.

It is very tempting. On the surface it looks like a better bolt if you can miracle it, and you would be right if it actually worked like that. Burns first couple turns are spent on creatures and sorceries; being very proactive. After that, you're using instants during combat or on your opponents turn. You also usually have enough damage in hand and on board turn 3, so even when you do miracle, it's basically winmore at that point.

I tried one, and it made the difference between winning and losing once out of about 50 games. You can try it out for yourself, but I think you'll come to the same conclusion I did: flex slots are few and far between and you have better proactive or reactive options.

Explain? Insight?

If Mox didn't get banned in winter eldrazi it never will.

The whole point of Guy Probe was to look at the opponents hand for free without losing a card. Neither of those cards accomplish that. Each does half and that's not enough to waste a card on...

Thanks for that user

Its strictly better than OG moxen and on top of that it only enable degenerate artifact strategies which are hard to interact with.

It will be banned with SSG next ban announcement.

is there a significant loss of consistency if i make a deck 61 cards instead if 60?

yes

There is no reason to ever play 61 cards Jeff Hoogland please go

It's not significant, but why would you?
There is no reason other than "I'm still testing it".

your deck will consistently have too many cards

Yes. Running more cards than an absolute minimum always will.

What kind of person finds enjoyment in memes like this. Every thread I see you autismos posting these ebin memes. You just know they're laughing their ass off like morons

>I have no argument so it's a meme
Heaven forbid anyone would actually want degenerate cards like those banned, it must be le epic maymays xD

To be frank, I really don't see why it shouldn't be banned. It mostly just enables dumb combos and makes affinity that much better.

Affinity doesn't need mox. It does perfectly fine with glimmervoid, spire and spring leaf.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Affinity would die just like infect without opal

Blue also allows Serum Visions and Thought Scour, both of which accelerate your gameplay.
Also, Snapcaster Kolgan's command is too fucking value

I don't think you understand how powerful draw 3 is

Only thing is that you pay that mana to cycle the card, they're better for delve in my opinion yes, but not in a tapout style where you want to get hellbent. In this list getting a reveler out is not a problem. Test the deck I assure you it is. The thing about thought scour and visions is that they both cost mana and replace themselves, we want to empty our hand and be as mana efficient as possible.

Lastly the argument for faithless looting is understandable. But quite frankly it's not really hurting the card advantage all that much. Here are the things that are great to discard: An additional Looting, 1 of 2 Bedlam Revelers, Lingering Souls, unnecessary lands, Manamorphose and Street Wraith get discard for free essentially, and lastly, cards we don't need in the matchup. Faithless looting is never bad in this deck. It turns 4 land hands into keepable ones which can be a problem. It turns 1 land hands into keepable ones. It digs through the deck very efficiently, we're only running 52 cards essentially, so if we need that kill spell or discard spell, we can always seem to find it by running through the deck so quickly. Lastly, my favorite interaction is filtering with Reveler. With Reveler, you get essentially perfect draws if a looting is in the Graveyard, or even if you draw one. 2 Lands off reveler? Loot. Discard spells in topdeck mode? Loot. It turns Reveler into such incredible gas, and I really don't find it that bad. We are taking only the best cards in the matchup and using them. We are only using the most efficient and best spells in WRB, and we only use the ones we need. I would really suggest proxying the deck, it plays much better than you'd expect.

It's a Mana Tithe that costs more for the privilege of cycling.
So it's actually worse as a counter spell, but comes with some utility to "make up for it"

I'll pass.

What Spiders other than Ishkanah do I need for DSJ?

>Ishkanah
>DSJ

Deadly Spiders Jund, user.

Seriously just kill yourself you simpleton

This user is correct. I am looking to build Deadly Spiders Jund.
Woah there friend, that's a lot of hostility. I know just building the top deck in the format is kind of scummy of me but I love Spider tribal and I want to play them competitively.

Is this funny to you?

What? No, I'm looking to build the top deck in the format and I can't find any info about it online for some reason.

(You)

Where were you when jeskai and Grixis cucked Jund out of midrange?

This isn't good

I have concerns about this cards playability. As in, I don't think it has any.

When will they print a good Aftermath card?

honestly the only slightly playable card seems to be the 1-drop with prowess and wither to everything, but it's a stretch

garbage set

Hi guys, should I play 4 Overseer or 4 Tempered steel if I dont have any Ravagers and Opals (yet)?

I'd play Overseer. It's weak, but a couple of them can go crazy with a monoU Tezzeret

play lodestone golems

Play Myr Enforcer!

As foretold will Be a legitimate deck. Turn 3 boardwipe is legit

What are Tron's worst matchups?

restore balance will never become a tier deck as long as black exists

Burn

Cycling lands and Cast Out are both good

If that's all that's playable then it is a weak set though

Infect.
I don't know how Ponza does. I think it gets it's first land destruction out T3, so probably not well when on the draw.

Except for when it's G/B Tron. Collective Brutality is a hell of a card.

It's not that rare to get LD on T2, but yeah, mostly T3

Just posting again as a friendly reminder that tezzerator with whir of Invention is very powerful and very real.
Get in on this shit now if you've been wanting to.

Fuck off.
I know you're sitting on 60+ of the things hoping for a price spike. I'm not playing into your games.

Hmm fair enough. I've only played eldrazi tron (colorless) and colorless green tron so I haven't seen it running collective brutality

>Modern is the most fun and diverse format
>It's still awful

Maybe magic is just bad.