Horus Heresy General /hhg/

Rolled 20 (1d26)

Thunderhawk still resin edition: warhammer-community.com/2017/04/10/thuderhawk-inbound/
Terrain problems subedition

Fulgrim had a go at roleplaying a Daemonette and a Fire Raptor pilot liked it, chainfists aren't ergonomic and Greyfax has interesting but undergunned ancestors. Distraction Primarchfex were deployed to cover the Whale-Stormbird docks and Tabletop Standard is the new transparent and unpainted. Bullock bikes still better than flying penises. All this and more in the long-gone last thread: >READ MOTHERFUCKER READ
pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8

>Official HH 7th Edition Errata (Updated January 2016)
forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp (embed)

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
pastebin.com/k9uvqsub (embed)
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
strawpoll.me/10558764 (embed)

>/HHG/'s allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/10663447 (embed)

>Oct 16 White Dwarf
mediafire.com/file/zm71nli980zr97h/WhiteDwarf_Oct16.pdf

>Primarch Popularity Poll
strawpoll.me/11458318 (embed)

>HHG Discord
discordapp.com/invite/wYS2J6b

>THREAD SPAMMING SHIT BAIT
www49.zippyshare.com/v/aYWlVV9f/file.html
www32.zippyshare.com/v/heDZWytT/file.html
mediafire.com/file/sc266oa6al1jb7o/the-binary-succession.mp3

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stor_Bezashk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dardanelles_Gun
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So, now we're stuck with the scratchbuilding gif and whatever else we can come up with for Superheavy Flyers, have any of you ever built custom terrain for your armies? I need a specialized Skyshield for the Filiketos (now I've found another model for it) anyway, so I was thinking of expanding that into a few tiles' worth of custom base/fortifications for my Genetor fleet, since it would look nice to have everything laid out.

Post custom cool terrain that you've made or seen?

Was there a period of of time between when curze joined the night lords and nostramos falling back into its old ways when good recruits, and not prisoners or scum, were actually sent to join the legion?

Still doing CAD work for ZM board, the major construction components are designed, I just need to print and sand a set of pillars for a test tile.

I don't suppose anyone with an engineering background and a set of calipers could give me the dimensions on the promethium pipes and the flange connector GW has been using on kits? (Like the reactors and new mech stuff)

That was a gradual process, not a change of the type of recruits overnight. When Curze was no longer being batman, Nostramos gradually suffered from more crime and corruption, and the number of not-fucked-up recruits slowly went down with it.

>realize I'll never play more than 2 Knights in a single game

>still keep buying them
>I just love them

Help

>be me, terran night lord
>our primarch has finally been found
>I hope he's good
>turns out he's just a crazy emo with edgy taste
>the legion starts recruiting the rapists and killers from his shitty world
>complains and hates his new recruits but doesn't do anything about it
>forced to watch the once feared legion turn into a legion of dicks

Is the Ottoman Empire a theme in any of the legions?

Is there any fluff about these decent nostramoans? Youd expect them to be more in line with the thinking of some of the more rebellious terran marines id assume

It looks glorious !

But by how much do you guys think that they will bump the price up ? Half again as much as the old Thunderhawk ? Twice the price ?

I don't have the new terrain yet, but I'd like to know that too, plus the height for the walkway on pillars in the new Sector Mechanicus so I can set the doors and fuel hatch thing on the Stormbird at the right height to dock with them. Would make things a lot easier when building the docking tower and would look cool.

It's not worth fielding unless they plastic it. The rules are such utter shit, for the same points and $$$$ just get a sokar

Not in any obvious way. What characterizes the Ottoman Empire?

I am so utterly disappointed to be really frank. Dont get me wrong, it's beautiful, but really hoped it would be plastic. As it stands, it's just going to be like the Mastodon, an overpriced (both in pounds and points) resin brick that looks cool but that you will never see on the table bevause it's hard to get and justify such a purchase.
A plastic TH would have been fielded in both 30k and 40k no doubt. A resin one? Nah.

Is it smaller than the previous one?

I guess I'm looking for a non-European WWI theme.
And I guess that means Death Guard or Iron Warriors.

>it's a get everyone excited for a plastic thunderhawk and then make it resin episode

Welp

I think they said they were ypdating the rules, they'll probably make it OP as shit (FW is the PAY TO WIN shop after all).
Still, what a massive difference it would have made if it was plastic and qold in stores. As of now, they'll send a handful, and that's it, whereas it could have sold almost as well as the baneblade, even for double the price.
What a mistake on their part.

The Iron Warriors have some Greek stuff going on (e.g. “Olympia” and Perturabo being a very angry Archimedes) but it doesn’t really affect their legion feel much. Greece was subsumed into the Ottoman Empire so maybe there’s something you can do there. I know the Ottomans had some high-casualty offensives against Russian mountain positions for you to copy. Can’t wait to see Iron Warriors characters wearing a fez.

The Death Guard are supposed to be more British in character and WWI Western Front in feel.

Thousand Sons are a mix of Persian and ancient Egyptian. Word Bearers are arguably Mesopotamian of some sort. White Scars are full of Mongolian names and their BL novels have given them other East Asian themes, but at their core they could’ve been any steppe people, including Turkic (i.e. a decent fit for early Ottomans). The Khan’s usually depicted as looking a little more Turkic than Mongolian, though Chogorians are more Asian.

>(FW is the PAY TO WIN shop after all)
Not really. The Mastodon and Stormbird have pretty lousy rules, and they're expensive models.

You could say it happened...overnight :^)

Does it actually look like the one in Inferno? I guess the wings and tail do match, and the changes to the nose just don't show up well at that angle.

I'm disappointed too. I'll stop dreaming of an all-aerial White Scars army with jetbikes, land speeders, marines in Storm Eagles, and bikes in Thunderhawks.

Thoughts on using not-MKVI legs that get converted with cooling tubes and studs as a variant of MKV?

Also trying to print emblems on shoulderpads is a pain in the ass

Well, Kharn uses MkV and he has MkVI greaves. Same reason why Ahriman has MkIV and MkVI greaves.

If you look outside 30k, it's very much the case though.
Put the dosh on the counter and get guns bigger than your opponents no matter what.
Anyhoo, I'm just really disappointed. Not even angry, just...sad.
I could have seen myself buy it, just like any serious Guard player will buy a Baneblade at some point. It's expensive, sure, but a Knight is about the same price and is far from being as awesome.
I could have bought one, just for the pleasure of ownining one, building it and painting it, if its rules were shit.
But now? For a several hundred pounds brick? Fuck no.

>I'm looking for a non-European WWI theme.
Do you know the Iron Warrior Stor-Bezashk were? They were tasked with manteinance and construction of deadly weapons and relics
Turns out they were the Persian horse caretakers
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stor_Bezashk
Do you know about the Great Bombard, that managed to breach the walls of Constantinople where it had resisted all manner of assaults for a thousand years? Also a turkish thing.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dardanelles_Gun

Iron Warriors look WWII and dress a-bit-less-knightly-than-the-DA because it's a british game, but they have elements from the greeks, which allows them to also bring elements from the places the Byzantines lived, as accurately points out.
Whom everyone called "greeks", since "Byzantines" is a modern construct and they called themselves "romans" anyway.

Forge World restock Phoenix termins already, I need them please.

Eh, the most undercosted units are in GW codices and some of them are fairly large.

But total agreement on the Thunderhawk - I would've bought a plastic one even if I didn't intend to use it. Definitely at $200 US. How big is a Thunderhawk? Would it have been more than $200 in plastic? I'd have been okay with a little more.

fucking carlos, pls

Judging by the canon, which I presume to be the same as the one found on the Baneblade variants, it's about 2 Baneblades long.
I could have seen it sold at 150-170 pounds in plastic, considering the Baneblade is 85.
It woul have sold like absolute hotcakes, the last model you're supposed to get for your SM army. One of those glorious setpiece a shop can proudly expose.

>How big is a Thunderhawk?

Praise agrax. What have you been working on lately /hhg/?

Some Pale Nomads. Not the 30k version I'm afraid.

Nice loyalist night lord

>Not really.

Magnus

Moving house, mostly. Am now sitting in a building with one bed, one lamp and a desk with computer/chair, and that's it. I can't paint or do actually helpful work, so I guess I continue to sketch Whalebirds and shitpost on Veeky Forums about them for the rest of the night.

Stormbird I think is two Baneblades strapped together and flying for pretty much the same price as two Baneblades, so it's OK. Sadly, Baneblades themselves aren't excellent as is, because Knights.
Mastodon is the Mega-Spartan, but a little too expensive. Honestly anything >600pts should have a way to resist shit like Haywire, impose a -1 or -2 on the table, because for me and anyone else with a Vulturax it's just too easy to kill them.

Would have bought a plastic 'Hawk to loot for parts if it was real, but I dislike converting resin and it's now way too expensive to justify.
Ah well, double Stormraven engines mixed with Sector Mechanicus toys it is.

What's your secret for your jacked hobby gains?

Limited free time

I see, thanks.

Counterpoint. GW Magnus.

I thought it was the opposite

But here's the thing, Magnus is a niche in a niche. It's the Demon Primarch of a CSM army that is already quite niche. Not everyone who plays CSM/Chaos is going to get it.

I really think the Baneblade is the best example. A big piece that can be used with almost every IG army because it fits, apart from maybe Elysians, biggest unit in the army, a central piece with a truckload of bitz and therefore, reasonnably priced (in pounds), and available in store.
As such, any self respecting IG olayer will get one at some point, even if he doesn't play it, because it has a fair price and is fucking awesome beyond measure.
Hard to justify a FW price when you have next to no variety possible in the loadout, is in resin so has only downside compared to plastic, and can't buy it in store.
As is stands, unless it's something like 150 pounds or less, they won't even sell a thousands of these, ever. But we both know it won't be that price, not at all.
Had it been in plastic and at that price, sold in stores, they would have sold a thousand in maybe a month, tops.

No, when I was unemployed it was very hard to get anything done. Now that I have a job I want to use my limited free time well.

>Not everyone who plays CSM/Chaos is going to get it.
Good chunk of competitive Chaos lists run Magnus+Daemons as his formation allows you to run him and 3-9 Daemon Princes as your HQ slot.

Plus, his model is just amazing in general.
>GW Magnus
How is that a counterpoint? Both companies release power-creeped units, just look at Cawl or Celestine.

Still, with SM being the most played army by far, a plastic Thunderhawk would have been a fantastic success. Add CSM to the armies that would buy it, and GW would have swim in money. Dammit GW, why don't you want my money?
What a letdown.

Resin assault marines. These fuckers absolutely suck. Shit poses, annoying casting gates... grrr.

Another case where GW/FW could probably make a load of extra cash if they stopped being so damn protectionist over certain lines and put 30k assault marines out in plastic. Also breachers. Hell, if all three compulsory troops choices in AOD were available for cheap* I think that'd be helpful for the game. Might cut down on the ol' POTL spam too.

*You know what I mean.

That actually looks really cool. And no problems with the legs; Mk V gives you a lot of leeway, and I'm fine with any legs that don't have oval kneepads (those are all Mk VII-VIII, right?).

Which armor mark, so I know to avoid them?

Seeing how FW xants to keep doing black books, I can see GW doing all the armor marks (except Mk1) as tacticals in BoP/BaC boxes, before doing the same with assault and mayyybe devastators. At the rate of 1 mark per year, it'll take some time, but that gives them huge assured sales every year in october/november.

Is the spartan the most boring unit ever ?

>Might cut down on the ol' POTL spam too.
160pts for sniper vets vs 200pts for guys with a 6++ at range. BaC is one of the greatest factors helping the PotL army composition, but it's not the only one.

>it's a resin thunderhawk
Hastings BTFO again.

it looks brutal

Considering the other ways to carry a terminator squad with an attached IC either fly or are LoWs (or are both), then it's not only a boring unit.
It's most of the time your ONLY choice

It should have been a superheavy 6HP LoW like it's brethren the Typhon and the Cerberus.

Yeah, Land Raiders really need to be bumped up to 11/6 capacity.

Long wheel base land raiders are boring but work well in 30k

Tanks in general are boring, infantry for max flavour master race

Yeah, pretty much. Not only is it dull, expected and even easier to counter than double pod Leviathan, it's shit looking and means all the prettily painted Primarchs and Terminators never get to see the board longer than ten minutes. I hate them, but love to destroy them. Perhaps some day the local meta will learn to stop running that+Primarch/Pmedicae 10 terms into Reductor prepared for Solar Auxilia levels of tank, but until then my two Medusae and Vulturax will keep racking up the Numbered Mistake kills.

Why not just play a knights list then?

Imagine owning an old thunderhawk and having to not own this.
On the other hand, there might be some cheap old thunderhawks on ebay as they're replaced.

>Reductor prepared for Solar Auxilia levels of tank
What's that list like, user?

I agree, but my friends play a lot of spartans and flyers, it really pissed me off because I need to think about it when building my list and most of the time I end up playing things I don't like in order to not be crushed :(

Clearly a recast, the resin's the wrong colour.

Mk IV ass marines. The jump packs are cool but I think they'd actually look better on BaC dudes.

Kek.

>assault marines
>squatting around instead of charging toward the enemy/taking off/landing
It'll be shit.

When is 30k going to use the neo2nd-8th edition rules? I was thinking about assault marines, but if Despoilers were able to charge from Rhinos, that'd be great.
Even if they were restricted to disordered charges, that would only validate Hammer of Olympia tacticals.
IW Arditi when

At 2.5k, squad of Droplites, two Medusae, two Vulturax and a Macrocarid with Gravidions. Allied Detachment of Levy blobs and then basic Thallax/Occularis Magos. At higher points there's an Enginseer unit to fix the artillery and an Archimandrite/barebones Reductor to bolster the tanks.

Occasionally something pops the Macrocarid early and my command squad eats Demolisher, but that's what Archmagos McT6 is for.

Pretty brutal list, but I'm up against almost nothing but Spartan/Leviathan spam and Veletaris/Dracosan Auxilia, apart from my DG friend which is a chance to tinker with fun lists, since Reductor isn't an autoloss vs. Mortarion like Cybernetica. Was kind of praying for Plastic Thunderhawk so I could nick it and make their no-Skyfire lists eat Assault Ursarax, but whatever. May just throw them in anyway, they're fast enough to dodge Leviathans and it's good LoS dodge practice vs. that twat with the Auxilia and Ultramarines Suzy spam.

Presumably after, and not before, 8th is actually released.

What ARE the good ways to counter Spartans? Lots of vehicles with lascannons? Laser Destroyer Arrays?

I do hope that Angelus isn't made obsolete by the new edition.

>Legiones Astartes
Fast Attack choices like Kraken Lightnings, Grav Land's Speeders and Outflanking Lascanon Javelins
Or Medusae
>Mechanicum
Imploder Destructors, Grav Secutors (now obsolete), Droplites, Vulturax, Medusae
>IM & SA
They're a meme army, so I'm guessing lots of artillery. The SA's own superheavies can withstand Spartans, but aren't that good at destroying them.

>mixing your armour marks for your missing XIth legion
I sure hope you guys don't do this

3 Warlords.

When their legion specifics are released and the full might of the Angel is brought to bear, they'll be the best legiones astartes of them all, hands down, guaranteed.

Please explain the fluff behind that particular missing legion.

Got the bases finished last night.

The squat actually lends itself pretty well to a "landing" stance.

Resin dudes aren't charging, they just sorta look like they're standing around doing nothing.

Looks like a cross of Blackshields with Naruto

I don't know, something something xenotech something something purged
have a lorgar with Skrillex hair

I imagine it's harder for Legions, since I can just use Haywire, but Lascannon flanking squads, Graviton (or on side armour, LasDestroyer) Rapiers, the almighty Kraken Lightning Fighter of awesome (best way, IMO, so helpful) or just flying units of any kind with decent weaponry. If all else fails, punch it with a melee Dreadnought screened with something cheapish like Tacs. It's not a Superheavy, so that's almost certainly going to cripple or kill it, and you can afford to trade the 'Nought or some Marines for it especially since you basically score 500pta s worth of Mobility Kill right there.

I remember in Dawn of War where they would never walk, and instead would hover everywhere on their jump packs.

Saboteurs :^)

Nice Space Wolf.

I'd rather not have that. Hopefully they don't go overboard with BA or DA. I already feel bad enough using the blade of perdition.

Kek, fucking Saboteurs
8th edition will render them useless, now with Tanks becoming multiwound models, presumably incapable of exploding.

What the fuck is that

>Hopefully they don't go overboard with BA or DA. I already feel bad enough using the blade of perdition.
HOPE IS THE FIRST STEP DOWN THE ROAD OF DISSAPOINTMENT

a """""primarch"""""

Why did he chop a crow in half and glue it to his head?

well, the legion is the "ashen crows" so maybe thats why

It wouldn't be unheard of

That is a damn shame. They are a lovely unit

I will add Destructor Thallax to the large pile of Mechanicum units, too. Two minimum squads with that and maybe a Photon Thruster each can fairly easily flank and pick away at a Spartan or Land Raider with a few rerollable 6+s (30% to glance per shot) while doing their main job of scoring forward objectives, and can take a silly amount of return fire back while remaining chilled. Occasionally you even do something awesome with a Lightning Gun rending Pen, and they rip Rhinos apart like nobodys business.

There's almost nothing in that can't hurt AV14, aside from the Levies who can bog one down and possibly kill a chunk of the occupants if they wrap it before someone else pops it, and the Macrocarid is limited to fishing for 6s with the roof Imploder, even if one 6 is auto-Immobilize. Levies will cut anything less than AV12 rear to bits from sheer weight of Rending, though.

I have the oportunity to own the red books, should I get them with 8th edition probably coming up this year or will they be useless in some months? I want them to play 30k at my local GW because lots of people are willing to start in the heresy but we need someone to have the basic books for reference (and not pdf's, the boss would get angry)

I want an Atrapos because TITAN LIGHTSABER, but I don't want to be a total asshole and bring something that even FW's website describes as "frankly irresponsible" to a regular game. How would you homebrew balance it so I could run it normally?

I predict that FW will take well over a year from the moment that 8th ed. comes out to update the red books.

Hm. Kicking fluff around for the 2nd and the 11th.
So, word of god is all primarchs were found and united with their legions and it is implied that a. the death of IRON HAND, PRIMARCH OF THE IRON HANDS is the first time that's happened and b. that Russ fucked up at least one of the missing legions.
Now, we have the rangdan xenocides suggested as having iron warriors of a bad day level of casualty rate, only with more competence and less bitterness.
Wot if the reason the RX were such a nightmare is xeno shenanigans involving brain worms or psychic compulsions or whatever affecting one of the missing legions, meaning we get legion on legion fightan, which causes Russ to get his team-killing boner on.
Now, stay with me, we have the yiffs fielding Yimir stasis bombs, which're noted as being acquired from a conflict the records of which have been [REDACTED].
So, souped-up stasis weaponry, two missing primarchs and one probably dead and one possibly absorbed legion, I posit that one or both primarchs is in a yimir-bomb bottle somewhere in where the RX were fought*.

*Outside of this, which is mostly supported by canon, muh doodz are non-bottled members of the 2nd, staring frustratedly at their primarch/buddies in a planet sized jar.