Retrofuturism

What are the core concepts, creations and differences between 80's retrofuture and 90's retrofuture?

Also, retrofuturism general, I suppose.

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0112709/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't understand what you mean by retrofuturism.

The stuff you see in Blade Runner and Neuromancer weren't "retro" in any sense of the word. It only feels like that because we're actually past when they were set by this point and a lot of their predictions didn't happen.

80's retrofuture is like the background from 1st edition of Shadowrun. 90's retrofuture is like the 1995 movie "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" (imdb.com/title/tt0112709/)

>Sell Liver
>Acquire Hosaka Mark II
>Acquire Phenomenology
>BANKGEMEIN VERBOTEN
>???
>Profit

>because we're actually past when they were set by this point and a lot of their predictions didn't happen.

Isn't that retrofuturism? When I hear the term I always imagine a sci-fi setting about a weird, predicted future that will never come to pass, mixing antiquated tech with crazy future science-magic.

Blade Runner was totally retrofuturist, what are you talking about? you'd have to be blind not to see the throwback to 1930s and 40s culture

Retrofuturism is when a modern work is based on futurist predictions from earlier time periods that that been discredited. So 80's retrofuturism could either mean "works from the eighties using predictions from even earlier in time" or "works based on predictions from the eighties".

80s: cyberspace is coming and it's going to be amazing
90s: cyberspace is coming, but it's going to be realistically shitty

switch these around and bingo

2000's: Cyberspace is coming, but it's going to be weird, but not unlike what it is now

Ayep. Man I miss Gibson's vision. Why did the world come out... So shit? Not even terrible shit like he saw, MEDIOCRE shit, which is, to me, far worse.

>Neuromancer
>retrofuturism
Time to die.

Not really. Aesthetic and stylistic references to different time periods is not "retro". Blade Runner wasn't pretending that everyone would be using CRTs even though LED screens existed; it was predicting the future based on what it saw in the 1980s in earnest. Retro-something is tongue-in-cheek, not honest prophesy.

>Aesthetic and stylistic references to different time periods is not "retro".
that's literally what it means, you mong

you think scott literally thought that people in the future would be wearing clothes from the 40s, dress and act like noir detectives, and decorate most of their buildings in art deco?

blade runner was never meant to be an accurate prediction of the future, like the book was. the setting took backseat to the plot, whose theme of "do artificial humans created as slaves actually have humanity?" goes back to the 1920s

>retrofuturism
huh

Oh so like hover-boards, everything is chrome, and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea?

In that case the 80's was more colourful, and people had a sense of humour.

> people in the future would be wearing clothes from the 40s

What are you going on about? Most characters wear either outlandish future clothes like Zora's weird see-through raincoat or they wear nondescript business casual you find in almost any decade. And then you have Rachel Tyrell's mega-80s dress with shoulderpads which could make a Space Marine blush.

>dress and act like noir detectives
Deckard doesn't look or talk at all like some noir detective serial character. He wears a space trenchcoat and acts like Harrison Ford.

>decorate most of their buildings in art deco?
Only bombed-out buildings deliberately meant to look old. Most shots of Blade Runner's LA cityscape show a spralwing neon city which looks more like modern-day Beijing than 1940s New York City.

A few thematic callbacks to detective stories a single track of saxophone music does not automatically make Blade Runner "retrofuturism". It is an earnest and sincere prediction of what the future would look like from the mind of people living in the 80s.

Usually retrofuturism refers to the creation of a setting where certain elements are intentionally made to be retro. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is a good movie if you want an idea of what we're talking about. 50s era aesthetics combined with futuristic technology, yet it was made in the early 2000s.

What you're referring to is just dated sci-fi.

its like we aren't even talking about the same movie.

rachel's clothes are literally from the 40s, deckards were made for the film but are based on the clothes detectives wore in 40s noir films.

and the city is likewise based off of noir films, shadow dark, foggy, smokey, lots of bright neon lights. the tyrell building is decidedly art deco and they're housed in pyramids.

it is not an earnest and sincere prediction of what the future would look like, did you even read my last post?

you have no idea what you're talking about, please stop posting.

Exactly. Every decade draws some inspiration from the past, in the same way that 70s clothes were in during the 2000s and 1980s thin ties were in during the 2010s, but that doesn't make it "retro". Retro is intentionally anachronistic. Blade Runner wasn't.

you have absolutely zero cultural awareness if you honestly can't pick out intentionally anachronistic elements in blade runner

I'm beginning to think I'm being trolled now.

You're not being trolled, we're pointing out you have an incredibly literal-minded and narrow view of aesthetics.

If Blade Runner is "retrofuture" because of a few trenchcoats then so is The Expanse because Detective Miller wears a trilby hat.

>it is not an earnest and sincere prediction of what the future would look like

Except it absolutely is. Deckard owns a personal computer for goodness' sake.

Retrofuturism is when the technology and aesthetic are informed by the technological limitations and assumptions of an era already passed before the work's creation. Steampunk is an example. Blade Runner was very clearly informed by contemporary understandings of science and technology. Noir influences don't magically change the film's relationship with the future.

>You're not being trolled
I guess you're just really, really stupid then.

>because of a few trenchcoats
already listed a number of the big throwbacks, but yeah just continue to keep talking like you haven't been proven wrong already.

>Except it absolutely is.
alraedy addressed this, you have no argument.

>Blade Runner was very clearly informed by contemporary understandings of science and technology. Noir influences don't magically change the film's relationship with the future.
it's a futuristic film, and it has retro aesthetics and styling. its retrofuturistic.

you're a goddamn retard, why am I even bothering to respond when you don't even read my posts or address my points, and keep talking as if I haven't already proven most of these statements wrong? you're just repeating yourself at this point.

>Blade Runner was very clearly informed by contemporary understandings of science and technology.
Nailed it.
>it has retro aesthetics and styling
Retro by what metric? Is it the presence of CRT monitors and ground vehicles what you're looking at?

> Is it the presence of CRT monitors and ground vehicles what you're looking at?
In his words he's talking about the film's mood lighting and shots, which are admittedly straight out of a noir film. But this is a filmmaking technique, not a technology theme.

He insists there's absolutely no 80s-influenced predictions of the future in Blade Runner. Except, you know, the personal computer in every home, dash-mounted video phones, holographic billboards, announcer robots telling people to DON'T WALK and CROSS NOW, and Japan running the show economically and culturally.

If Blade Runner were really "retro-future" it'd look more like Fallout than Neuromancer.

80s retrofuture:
>no internet
>Japan taking over
>neon fucking everywhere.
>aerobics shit is "sexy"

90s retrofuture:
>everything is grungy
>things are mostly okay but soulless
>Goths and punks resurgence
>internet but not as we know it
>every computer program uses needless VR interfaces.

alright you're not listening so I'm gonna take it real slow, see if you can follow along

>Retro by what metric?
-Rachel's sense of fashion is straight from the 40s
-so is deckards, with a little bit of flair
-the tyrell building as well as deckard's apartment are completely art deco (deckard's apartment was filmed in a frank lloyd wright house)
-the plot (where it strays from the novel's plot which has a very different mood), the design of the setting, the way the characters act, the visual aesthetics is all heavily influenced by culture from the 30s and 40s and noir films (huge dark massive buildings, fog and smoke, constant rain, silhouetting, etc)

those are the "retro" part.
CRT monitors and ground vehicles are neither retro nor futuristic, they're just pieces of technology that serve the plot.

like I said earlier, blade runner was not supposed to be an accurate prediction of the future. the setting and all other elements are secondary to the character's development, which is the main focus. it's soft sci-fi; which is why the film is so different from the book its based off of in tone as well as factual points about the setting and the state of the world. the book was mostly hard sci-fi, and could be seen as a prediction of the future.

having contemporary understandings of science and technology doesn't invalidate any of my points. its retro (in style, aesthetics, and part of the setting) and futuristic (superficially in most of the setting and in the technology used). literally the only "futuristic" part of the film which is absolutely essential to the plot and the film itself is the artificial intelligence, the robots. CRT monitors and flying cars are just fluff. you could change them to TV sets and rickshaws and it wouldn't change the core of the film.

>He insists there's absolutely no 80s-influenced predictions of the future in Blade Runner.
never said that, or even implied it. start being coherent.

Basically how big the chicks' hair is

>What are the core concepts, creations and differences between 80's retrofuture and 90's retrofuture?

> we're actually past when they were set by this point and a lot of their predictions didn't happen.
That's exactly the definition of retro-futurism.

It WAS futurism. But now it's retro-futurism.

>Retrofuturism is when a modern work is based on futurist predictions from earlier time periods that that been discredited.

well, it CAN be. Or you can look at space-propaganda from the 1950's. At the time it wasn't... you know... trying to be fake.

A big aspect of 80's vision of the future was based on the pessimistic WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE IN NUCLEAR FALLOUT. Post-apocalyptic is 80's.

Also the birth of cyberpunk and a bunch of those tropes. And, a lot of it simply came true.

Also StarTrek. (eh, More like a 70's thing.) A liberal Utopian post-scarcity space society.

90's, we beat the Russians, became the sole super-power and the "we're all gonna die" motif lessened.

There were a bunch of different visions of the future at any given age.

Throw lasers on it

That's your solution to everything!