>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Starter spells
sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

DMs: How many, if any, of the UA's do you allow in your campaigns? How is it?
Players: Are you running or using anything from any of the UA's? How's is it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why are you already starting a new thread you druid

So is it just me or does the wording for Tunnel Fighter make it work with Ranged Spell Attacks as well?

If anyone's looking for a player hmu @ Pooch

Druids are chill bros

Fuck I meant Close Quarters Shooter

Just a friendly reminder that surprise round doesn't exist in 5e.

They don't, and using surprise turns makes you a bad DM.

But friendly reminder it makes sense for most DMs to put it in their game anyways, as otherwise sneaking into situations provides no benefit over a bum-rush to flank.

Resubmitting cause new thread.

Anyone know how to get a higher rez version?

Yes. If it just says "ranged attack" and not "ranged weapon attack" it works on all ranged attacks.

you still get unseen attacker and other benefit.

youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q

Well y'know Ah haven't always been this large
Ah was a wee little lass once
Now ye see Ah'm roughly the size of a barge
Ah'm now corpulent, babies...

So Annam wants to tear down the Ordnung
An' change the way things are down here?
Well that's a craic an' Ah'll give it mah best shot
And so you see
Ah've made mahself

Hefty!
So that Annam cannae help but look and see
Ah'm the biggest 'cause Ah'm so
Hefty!
An' Ah'm just about as big as Ah can be
Can't ye see?
Don't you know?

Me kin are dumb, dumb, dumb
They bring all the food in the land (it's sad)
Oh, and here they come, come, come
To the biggest, smartest giant
Mmm, screw diets!
Ah just love free food (free food)
Even if it's wee food (wee food...)

[Players do stuff and get ready to challenge Guh directly]

Well, well, well...
Seems the wee ones are much tougher than they look
Yer all wriggly-niggly little tag-nuts
Och! I nae believe what Ah'm seein'
Forget the cook, fer now
Ah'll take care a' this mahself

But Ah have ta' give ye credit yer part
An' makin' me get up an' fight ye
Right! Get ye ready 'cause Ah'm commin' in mah cart
Yeah it moves, Ah'm not quite that

Hefty!
It's a work in progress so don't ye judge me
Pretty soon ye know Ah'll be more
Hefty!
Then the All-Father will take a shinin' ta me
An then we'll see

Adventuerers!

Ye can try, try, try
But unless ye weigh 'bout twenty tons
Yer crushed by mah buns (give it up!)
An ye will die, die, die
An then ye know Ah'll gobble you
Maybe in a stew

Annam the All-Father's watchin' me
Now he will see the hill giants
Are as big as can be
The Storm King is gone
Long live the great Chief Guh!

Mortals!
Ye look like tasty
Morsels!
Even to someone so

Hefty!
Soak it in 'cause it's the last ye'll ever see
C'est la vie mon ami, Ah'm so
Hefty!
Now I'll eat ye so prepare yer final plea
Just fer me

Ye'll never be quite as hefty
Ye wish ye were big and hefty...

What's insufficient about the current mechanics for surprise that a "surprise round" would fix? It sounds like you're just being picky over wording.

All of my party members have people who want revenge/after them in their character backgrounds. One character died and was betrayed by the party (left behind in a trap), but since he was a warlock and his patron is known to bring back his servants.. I thought I was going to make use of him - and go about rounding up all of their nemeses since he knows about them all.

how many players have rolled their eyes at you when you say "whoops they was in bush surprises xDDD"

shit DM

flank also doesn't exist in normal 5e rule. No one want 3.5e congoline.

And that picture was chosen because...

>No one want 3.5e congoline
It was in 4e too. "Strategy"

> conga line
> strategy

In case you can't tell from the context of the song, I'm going to be changing Chief Guh's boss fight...substantially. Due to her immense fat, she essentially has immunity to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. She's also going to be mobile, thanks to her cart being magical and able to move under its own power thanks to a secondary magical trait of Guh's conch.

However, the cart itself can still be attacked, and her head is not so invulnerable as her body (it doesn't have immunity or resistance at all).

Basically she's turned into a singing Zelda boss.

Running CoS and I want to incorporate he backgrounds of the PCs in the story. One player is a druid seeking a source of evil causing disturbances to nature, which should be easy to incorporate in CoS with the Yesterhill subplot.

The other PCs, I'm kind of struggling with though, one is Tiefling, who wants to know more about her family that abandoned her, and another is a historian who basically just wants to learn shit.
Any ideas on how to tie this shit in to CoS? Should I even try? I'd feel kind of bad if I only tied one character's backstory into the plot.

Would making Savage Attacker work with all on-hit effects like Sneak Attack, Smite and Maneuvers make it better and maybe even worth it?

Don't your players get taken out of the game a little when they're told no one in the entire setting uses stealth?

Surprise is a perfectly reasonable thing for both DMs and players to use.

Gunsmith is shit.
Play a ranged rogue and refluff attacks as guns.

We did the last dungeon in The Lost Mines of Phandelver today in my Encounters group.

Holy SHIT that was fun. We were in the forge room, fighting the Fire Skull, and we finally managed to kill it after I used Turn Unholy on the eight skeletons it was commanding. We took an hour rest, and the other Paladin took an hour to examine the skull and figure out what it was. The DM ruled that our hour break ended one second before it came back to life and attacked us again. I grabbed it and threw it into the smelter, where the Ogre jelly had been waiting the entire time, and we let them fight it out while we readied melee attacks. When it flew out, we started it hitting it like a line of T-Ball players and poured holy water on it.

That was fucking fun. I love this game so much.

Can you be a member of the Zhentarim and not be explicitly evil?

What alignment are you in real life? CE here

Or, you know. I could just play the class I want to play instead of something different with heavy refluffing.

I don't particularly mind if it's weaker.

why it was in quotes come on legally blind nigga

What's the difference between a surprise round and a starting round where the the enemies get turns but can't move or take an action?

Lawful-elevator with no brakes on crack.
I do good, I do bad, It changes with how im feeling but I always stick to my code of ethics and honor.

Running a Glamour Bard

Was gonna do more of an enchanter david bowie thing but it's actually got some okay combat stuff

Almost everyone is True Neutral, because we live for ourselves and not an ideology or creed.

Stealth to maneuver not to attack.

>Heavy refluffing
>Using a gun with crossbow stats is heavy refluffing
>A thief doing artificery things is heavy refluffing

Personally, if an option already exists for something I'm going to use it over reflufing something else because "It's better".

If you want to focus on being powerful, doing damage and being the best you can then that's fine. I would rather play an Artificer.

>sweating_man.jpg
First self-made setting for a one-shot that if it latches, will get worked on.

Feedback welcome

>Not going by 5e 'alignment is a rough indicator of personality' rules
>Not saying 'everybody is chaotic evil because we live for ourselves and not an ideology or creed'.

The only thing an AT rogue doesn't have that a gunsmith artificer gets really is ...

Uhh, assuming your DM actually gives you magic items sometimes, nothing.

Oh, right, I guess the only real major benefit is the level 6 mechanical thing.

Honestly, the problem with artificer is they rely too much on that level 6 feature.

reposting
>tame it as a pet
this won't ever work, just let the diviner leads them into the mind flayer's trap, and let them all reroll after the inevitable TPK.

Chaotic Evil is an ideology. The creed to do harm, even at cost.

True Neutral is the only one where you're not sticking to something like butter. LG is someone with a code to help, NG is someone who enjoys helping however feels needed, CG is someone who helps in any way possible, LN is someone who lives by the letter of the law, CN is someone who does whatever they want in spite of the law, LE is someone who uses their creed to justify doing bad, NE is someone who does bad whenever they think it will help them, and CE is covered already. Whereas straight N is doing what is good for you, while following laws but not to the point of worship of law.

it's short so it can't be that shitty

Seems pretty good

>Chaotic Evil is an ideology
Wrong.

Chaotic evil is literally just

'Evil' : You are selfish.
'Chaotic' : You believe in independence, not needing society structures, hierarchy, etc. You don't need an ideology or some theoretical way for everybody to live in utopia together or anything like that, you just live for yourself.

Which is pretty much exactly what you said.

The latter level Gunsmith abilities to to damage in an area, mechanical servant, magic items I can take to make up for abilities I personally lack, being able to attune to more magical items and being able to actually turn spells into items my allies can use.

Arcane Trickster gains stuff like hiding as a bonus action, being able to be really good at Dexterity Saves, being a better skill monkey, seeing while blind and telekinesis.

I'm not saying that the refluff isn't a valid option, just that the things the Artificer has are things I want.

Anyone know where i should start to make essentially undead sun soul monk enemies? the attacks would obviously be necrotic

Some guy is trying to tell me resurrection spells are trash and should never be taken.

Is he wrong?

lawful bacon, i will dance around both sides of an idea as long as the arguments are internally consistent and/or syntactically correct. if an evil act is logically consistent within the subset of the system, then the act is just. there's no exception for exceptions, if something good needs to be handled through a subset of exceptions then it's not just and will not be pursued, and it might even be condemned.

>bacon
What a meme thing to say.

let him die and wonder that yourself.

i particularly like the idea of permadeath but then you don't get brave enough dms willing to through hyper difficult stuff at you and deal with wiping the party if they fuck it up.

I'd assume religious work would attract more Lawful people than usual. Medicine too. There'd be probably slight tendecies towards lawful-chaotic across different cultures that put more or less emphasis on society vs the individual. Politics at the higher end would likely attract very polarized people with very few Neutrals. Crime would likely attract mostly Chaotic Neutrals.

ask him why first.
make him defend his position before we call him a faggot.

it's kinda trash because you should never die in 5e and if you do then there is revivify (which doesn't give you a penalty, unlike raise dead / resurrection).

It work as a plot device spell though.

>they're trash
yes
>should never be taken
no

Well, I guess. If you really want the AoE at-wills and the mechanical servant and some extra magical item utility, it works.

But really, an AT has similar spellcasting and can cover all the relevant skills and expertise along with being dex+int and all that. If they have crossbow expert they can gimp themself with 'action and then bonus action attack becomes action to do a 2d6+2xDEX +sneak attack attack, bonus action to reload'.

The main problem is that sometimes people aren't in it for the mechanical servant and all the AoE abilities come too late to see much use at all. You also don't really get a lot of powerful magical items, just minor utilities like bag of holding.

In any case, gunsmith needs fixing, but if you're fine with playing a lacking class I guess it works. There's not really much advice to give for gunsmith playing other than 'just stay away and shoot a lot.'

Most resurrection spells are 24 hours+. You can just take revivify and if you need a quick res and switch over to a better one on a rest if it's been longer than that

it comes from the blue and orange morality article at tvtropes, of course it's an awful meme. it somehow stuck at my table after a series of questionable actions in succession from one of my former characters.

I meant medicine would attract more Goods than usual

Yes. Honestly, I expect a range of alignments using 5e's standard of alignement. However, what the guy described is pretty much 'everybody is chaotic evil'.

Almost everybody in the world is rather conscious of what others think about them.

For 5e, unless your DM is extremely brutal, revivify is all you'll want for the 'instant death' abilities. Other than that, you're fine.

Medicine would also attract more lawfuls than usual, because, to be honest, the people who get involved in higher education are the sort that'll appreciate society, as society often works in their favour/they're educated and aren't the 'FUCK THE POLICE' type. They also have quite a lot of legal stuff they have to follow, anyway, and if they couldn't handle that then they wouldn't be a trustworthy doctor.

I do also agree that Artificer has quite a few issues with it but to be honest one of the main reasons I want to avoid Arcane Trickster is because I played one in a small campaign recently. Plus I like the idea of a character more focused about Magical Items over actual Magic.

I personally think the Artificer should've been a half-caster who can only cast with their infusions so they have to plan out what they'll likely need. They seem not to be fond of making players plan stuff in 5e so I doubt it'll happen.

I tried that as a substitute DM for a group.

They all really enjoyed it, and since then they are way more into all aspects of the game.

I think almost losing their characters and working real hard together to get out of it (I designed a puzzle-based BBEG encounter), that we all feel much more comfortable to start roleplaying and finding solutions that don't require combat.

I also gave them pretty strong loot as well for compensation.

> DM use sane magical prices
> marvelous pigment is only 200gp

I'm gonna have so much fun...

Well, artificer isn't quite as bad as gunsmith. They only need intellect (though a bit of dex and con is nice), they have the option to use shields, they have a heal that even works on their construct which otherwise is a bit hard to heal, they have at-will utility instead of damage if they want that (thunderstone to knock multiple enemies prone and pushback) and they actually start with more options than the gunsmith, who by level 3 only really has 'shoot gun'.
I wouldn't say an artificer is underpowered if they make good use of their mechanical companion, but really the mechanical companion should be an extra.

>Substituting as DM and potentially killing off characters and then giving strong loot
Seems a bit far to go as a substitute unless the normal DM clears it, but I'm sure you had contact and it was fine.

Still though, it's hard to do brutal combat properly with the normal death save and heal rules, so something like vitality or fighting spirit instead works better.

However, it should exist for the special case where all of one side surprises all of the other side as a means to start combat without initiative being rolled.

I posted about this a couple threads ago, but here's my first attempt at a mercurial magic table for 5e. I'm also removing offensive damage-dealing cantrips and buffing the rest of the offensive spells (auto-hit, auto-fail saving throws, auto-cast as if two levels higher). Trying to turn my casters from bland, boring cantrip-spammers into the clever-thinking, risk-taking, power-mad wizards that they deserve to be.

Any thoughts

No it shouldn't. /pfg/ please go back.

>It's perfectly okay for people to leave and re-enter combat until they get the initiative they want OR you have to tell them 'No, you're not allowed to do that' even though there really isn't anything stopping them, and such rules should be kept in, say, pathfinder.
No, you go to /pfg/.

I subbed for my usual group, and the GM wanted to play a PC for a few weeks, so a few of us took turns taking side-quest fillers. If that clears it up.

The DM was cool with all of the loot, I let him look over everything and he made his tweaks that he felt were necessary.

What is it?

source/more bbw hentai pls

No

google tells me it's the city of Hammerfast, from a 4e module.

Here's a theoretical situation.

A fighter5/assassinrogue10 on 1 HP with his buddy, a mastermind rogue who's unarmed, ambushing a monk
>Mastermind: "Okay, I'm going to use the help action on the assassin and then he attacks."
>Assuming that the mastermind helping against the monk would reveal them, they only do it on the first turn
>Everybody rolls initiative
>Monk 20, mastermind 10, assassin 15
>Monk goes first
>Does jack shit, he's surprised, nothing's even happening anyway
>Assassin wants to attack,
>"Do I get advantage from the help action?"
>"No, the mastermind hasn't had the chance to do that yet."
>"Can I wait until he does it?"
>"Yes, but you would lose your second attack from extra attack for attacking when it isn't on your turn."
>"Do I get advantage from assassin's ability?"
>"No, because the monk took a turn, they simply just couldn't take an action or move or use reactions until then.
>"Do I get automatic crits?"
>"No, because the monk is no longer surprised, even though he still doesn't know he's in combat."
>"Okay, we can't kill him in one turn, let's leave combat and try again in a bit."
>"No, that's not allowed."
>"Why aren't we allowed to wait for an opportunity we can actually use our fucking abilities properly? Okay, fine, I shoot."
>"You hit once. Roll damage."
>Damage is rolled.
>The unaware monk uses their reaction to catch arrow, negates the attack entirely since there's no sneak attack or anything, then throws it at rogue. Rogue goes unconscious.

(Cont...)

Alternatively, for this special case where all of one side is surprised (the monk), you could use special surprise round rules.
Instead of rolling initiative, the surprising party can just go in any order they like before the 'true' combat starts.

>Mastermind then uses their turn before other rogue to grant advantage, though honestly it's no longer needed
>Rogue then fires their crossbow at monk, gets all the proper benefits
>Initiative is rolled, monk gets 20, assasin 15, mastermind 10
>Monk then moves, and the players had no idea that the monk would have a 20 for initiative when they chose to attack the monk

Monk can't take reaction until he takes his first action
Fighter/Assasin should have readied an action for after he was helped because sneak attack is a much bigger deal then getting two attacks.

Why would the monk go first? Even if he rolled higher on initiative, he doesn't know anybody is there yet.

The only thing preventing the monk from reacting is surprise, and they can then react after their first turn, which is the turn they're prevented from getting from surprise, so they may use a reaction.
"If you're surprised, you can't move or take an aclion
on your first turn of the combat, and you can't take a
reaction until that turn ends."

>Figher/assassin should have readied an action
Well, yes, sure, they should have, but they're still being denied their extra attack because apparently the two of them can't co-ordinate their turns properly even though they're the ones setting up the ambush.

That's how the rules work. Combat starts, surprsied enemies have a turn but do jack shit on it, and then others move.

Actually, yeah, make it a fighter 11/assassin3 and then they'd really not want to ready an action.

Surprised enemies do not get a turn. Initiative is rolled at the start of combat in case a player fails stealth against passive perception, not to determine surprise round order

I'm currently allowing UA beastmaster ranger for one of my players. They really enjoy it. It doesn't seem too overpowered, but then again none of my players have a good enough knowledge of the system to power game anyway.

I think simply the fact that there is a way for the pet to come back mechanically speaking, it makes players less afraid to actually use the pet. Not to mention, the pets gained a considerable buff.

"If you're surprised, you can't move or take an aclion
on your first turn of the combat, "

Surprised enemies do get a turn, otherwise it wouldn't say 'your first turn of the combat.'

I have to play a Triton in 12 hours can I get some tips?

Does it say anything about bonus action?

What kinds of houserules/DM decisions would increase the importance of tactics, such that the tactics are what win you the fight?

i've never read the class but i gather they are pompous douchebags, so you should be fine.

What's your favorite homebrew from the pastebin list?

What class? What setting? Are you far from home?

If you're away from home you should probably act like it. Did you leave on your own accord? Do you have a mission? Are you used to being away from the sea? Etc. etc.

You get advantage in any situation wherein the surprise round, no matter what class. Assassin's advantage (the thing you're talking about) is there to apply to non-surprised enemies that don't beat your initiative

And since it's a surprise round, assassinate crits proc

So, anybody who's played Warlock, how much of a sucky situation is it to have so few spell slots, especially in the 3-7 level range? Is it worth it to go Tome to maximize your casting potential? Just EB all day long seems a trifle dull, but I love the flavor of the GOO. Is there some invocations to make to approximate being a real caster?

Oh, also, what you're saying there about failing stealth works much better on the proposed 'stealth round' exception, because instead of rolling initiative (Why would you roll initiative 'in case you fail', when you could just roll initiative IF you fail?) you're stuck in a floating 'stealth round' where there is no initiative and you can easily choose to not attack, you're not bounded by the usual combat 6 second round thing where technically the target is unsurprised the round after you've rolled initiative.

Actually, to be more precise, I believe you're supposed to roll stealth the moment you enter combat. This means that you aren't supposed to choose to not shoot after you've rolled initiative. But then, it gives you reasons you don't want to shoot (Such as not getting assassin's ability), but no reason you couldn't then pull out of combat other than 'jeremy crawford says you can't.'

Actually, it doesn't.

What kind of Triton is your character?
Generally they're very "Oh, our aquatic empires are LOADS better than your stuff up here... but that stuff over there is neat, how does that work?" Haughty, but curious is the theme, if I understand it right.

If you really want to get into it, the Common they generally know is very old fashioned (i.e. lots of thy, thee, thou, etc.)

Eldritch Blast is the Warlock's bread and butter. If you're not using it, you're not doing Warlock right.

>Is there some invocations to make to approximate being a real caster

Motherfucker you are a real caster.

>Since it's a surprise round, assassinate crits proc
That's not how it works.
Once the enemy has their turn, they're no longer surprised.
They have their turn first.

>You get advantage in any situation wherein the surprise round
No, I think you're thinking about unseen attackers, which is different. You can surprise an enemy and be visible while attacking. For example, you sneak up to a door where everyone's dining, succeed stealth so nobody hears there's a party of adventurers at the door, then burst through the door and attack everything. You've surprised everybody because they didn't expect combat to be coming, but they can all see you, so you don't get advantage against them.
Of course, I could be wrong because I might've forgotten something but you'd have to find where it specifically says SURPRISE gives you advantage, and not just being unseen.
The rogue in this case may be moving 30ft as part of their turn in front of the monk to fire, because they might not be within the hand crossbow's firing range. This 30ft movement may put them somewhere where the monk sees them.

>Assassin's advantage
It's also there to apply to surprised enemies, evidently.