Runewars Miniatures Game

This game comes out in 3 days, and I don't think I've seen anyone discussing it.

Has anyone played or looking to get into the game?

The first of the extra two faction (Elves) was just previewed today.

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/runewars-the-miniatures-game/
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/6d/c4/6dc41d03-20e9-440f-a27a-5577d17e86cd/rwm01_learn_to_play_eng.pdf
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e9/fa/e9fa6678-4b3b-488c-8122-cc4fcd799d4f/rwm01_rules_reference_v2_eng.pdf
youtu.be/p_FSr5njk9I?t=13m20s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Latari Elves Box

Elf box contents

Not a lot of talk on Veeky Forums about it for sure. Might buy into it with this new faction of the elves I also really like the undead guys a lot too.

Nevertheless for me atleast I like the aesthetic, the simplicity of the rules, and the ease of build and paintability of the models a lot. Shaping up to be a really good side game for me but I'm gonna wait a little longer.

In an unprecedented move from FFG, they will be selling the neutral core box contents separately as well.

Should have dumped this in the OP, but oh well.

Main page:
fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/runewars-the-miniatures-game/

Learn to Play:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/6d/c4/6dc41d03-20e9-440f-a27a-5577d17e86cd/rwm01_learn_to_play_eng.pdf

Rules Reference:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e9/fa/e9fa6678-4b3b-488c-8122-cc4fcd799d4f/rwm01_rules_reference_v2_eng.pdf

The minis look a lot better than I originally thought now that I've seen some hobbyists actually get their hands on them.

I'm going to at least grab 1 core for now, but I'm going to hold off on any huge building until the elves hit.

>That fat guy fighting the elf lady.

Yeah I'll wait for the uthuk or whatever they are.

I'm interested in it, but I'll probably hold off for a couple of reasons:
>I already struggle to fit all of the games I want to play into the time I have available.
>I don't know that there will be many (any, even) other players for it locally.

I kinda wanna get some of the human models, because there aren't many plastic fantasy human soliders on the market at the moment.

This game is dead before it even hits the ground. Nothing to see here move along people !

I like the treeman. That's about it.

I'm looking forward to play it, there will be demo games at my LFGS when it hits the shelves. If the system is good it will be a fucking hit.

Remove elf when?

Ooh. What's the price point, OP?

$100 for the starter set it seems.

$100 per core, which gets you roughly 100pts each for humans and undead.

The game is meant to be played at 200pts, so you and a friend can each grab a box and swap one of the ad,ones to each get going.

Just another shitty moneysink by a company that almost makes nothing but moneysinks.

to be fair FFG made only awesome wargames so far.... Armada, Imperial Assault Skirmish....

I got a free copy of this at Adepticon and figured it was old junk they were trying to get rid of.

I havent played it yet, but the models are decent .

Could be really good. Gonna wait and maybe see if I can wrangle a buddy into it with me though.

Nope, brand new.

There hasn't been too much hype around it yet, so I think they were trying to get it out in the open.

From what I have seen, its basically X-wing in fantasy. You have our custom dice, custom orders, and custom move thingy, just like your average X-wing game. And then you "plan ahead" just like X-Wing, and when your toddlers waddles in to a unit, you have a brawl and sees who comes out on top.

There are probably more to it than what I just explained, but there is no denying it rest heavily on the X-wing idea, and FFG´s agenda overall.
Im truly scared for what FFG´s marketing division will do to the future of miniature wargaming, because they blow just about every company in this slim market out of the water with the tricks they pull to earn a buck. Hell, GW looks like infants trying to earn money by begging in comparison, and thats saying a lot considering they're a bunch of greedy Jews.

Every Veeky Forums is a moneysink.

Too expensive, too generic, too much saturation of the same crap.

Runewars is way too generic of a setting to base a wargame on. Also the amount of superfluous bits this game needs is retarded even by FFG standards.

>What is chess
>What is go
>What is D&D
>What is most boardgames
Huh

What sort of tricks?

youtu.be/p_FSr5njk9I?t=13m20s Marco pretty much sums it up: It's good, but nothing groundbreaking.

My opinion, basically if you're completely new to table top gaming and haven't invested in anything else already, give it a shot.

Awful price per model ratio, models that look like vanilla WOW rejects, what is even Runewars. It looks like most generic fantasy ever, which is not what you want in a saturated market.

How many actual models is that? I'm super into undead and it's hard to find miniatures, I may grab it.

>implying 95% of posts on this board aren't about miniatures games

Fuck off

>>undead
>>hard to find

Wat? Name one fantasy miniatur game without undeads.

Yeah and I wish you fucks could enjoy something more decent.

You don't really need two starters though. You're paying for extra crap, and dupes of heroes, which you can't use. Getting expansions to fill stuff out is better.

Good undead

To get as many spearmen and cavalry as in a core set, you would be looking at $75MSRP in separate expansions and half of a $35MSRP golem expansion. Similar cost for undead.

Admittedly, you would also be getting whatever upgrade cards are in those expansions that aren't in the core.

But if model count is the metric, splitting a pair of core sets is the best option. It gets both players enough to field a 200-point list, along with all the non-model components (dice, movement templates, objective/deployment cards, etc.), rulebooks, and a box to store/carry a bunch of the stuff in.

If this takes off and gets really popular I'll consider it, but no way am I going to be an early adopter. The forces are all painfully generic. I don't find them interesting in the slightest.

That's sort of where I am. I actually like what I see so far, but not enough to buy in without other people picking it up locally.

Gonna pick one up and use it as a 'my first wargame' to teach some friends.
I'll use them for Kings of War as well.
Probably not going o buy into any expansions, though.

>Minis are legitimately worse than Mantic's, all while being fucking expensive
>Can't just sub in a WHFB army or whatever due to proprietary movement trays, and a million doodads that each box comes with which are required for play
>Will probably become popular because FFG admittedly designs good rules and has a reputation
God damn it.

FFG already has a really good war tactics miniature fantasy game in the Runebound universe called. It's called Battlelore 2nd edition.

If I have an extra hundred bucks laying around for a game, I would rather back Gloomhaven's second printing on kickstarter.

Fantasy Flight makes good shit from a design and gameplay mechanic and their components while not the absolute best are still very well done.

I can't fault the company at all, but I am kind of pissed they are doing this game when they have a miniatures war game already that they just kind of stopped supporting.

It even used some of the same mechanics like the units representing hit point totals and determining attacking values and shit.

Battle lore was a fantastic game that they just fucked off and stopped supporting. I won't be buying into this expensive bastard when I don't know if it will be alive in six months time.

I agree that Battlelore is top notch. I think that FFG just wants to go for the crowd that likes 28mm miniatures, and the crowd that likes X-Wing, which are both admittedly big.

I know that is who they are going for, the problem is that people in those camps already have 'their main game', you know?

Introducing this game in such a market is a gamble.

I've never played it, but I looked it up and Battlelore looks nothing at all like a miniatures wargame, it looks like a fancy board game.

Also, I think you're confused because it's been out since 2006, and originally published by other people, so I don't know how this new game is like them abandoning it or something

>Battlelore
it will be fine as soon as they release more unique looking factions. It's based on descent universe (apparently it has a setting beyond generic fantasy)

Like the worm rider is cool. They need more centerpiece stuff like that.

Why would anyone buy this shit when there is armada ?

>Minis are legitimately worse than Mantic's, all while being fucking expensive
That's only because Mantic's plastic undead are some of the best on the market.

Oh gee I don't fucking know because they're two wildly different games where ones about spaceship battles and the other is about rank and file fantasy battles.

Why would you buy this compared to Kings of War, then?

I dislike mantic's sculpts, and these are nice in a simple cartoony way.

As usual with minis, they look a lot better when painted by someone not on the official studio team. Whoever is painting the runewars stuff for FFG can't paint cloth for shit.

This legitimately looks like WC3 footmen and knights

You can use Runewars minis (And minis from all other appropriately scaled games for that manner) in Kings of War though.

Looks like an ill thought out marketing hick-up knee jerk reaction to the loss of GW license.

The X-Wing with fantasy models had been done already and proven not to work! The dead game D&D Attack Wing says hi from beyond the grave

Real excited for this game. Looks to benefit from all their design experience with X-Wing and Armada as well as Descent and Imperial Assault. The dual dial system for actions is real neat, lets them bake a ton of mechanical differentiation into units in really elegant ways, so you get lots of depth without increased rules complexity. Also really like the initiative system, gonna be lots of trying to predict and outwit. Upgrade system means they can put lots of interesting tweaks out to create combat roles - already there's stuff like geomancer bombs, support units giving your heavy-hitters extra attacks, big mobility upgrades, etc.

Models aren't spectacular, but I rather like most of them. Knights are disappointing, rune golems and skeletons riding graboids are excellent.