Unusual character deaths

ITT unusual character deaths you've had or seen. The death need not be final, resurrected characters work fine.

I'll start.

Blue Mage in a homebrew game. Killed by a group of attack lolis dressed in french maid outfits, wielding chainsaws and vulcan-style machine guns. He was revived post-combat, but still.

Being religious, he's making a scene in a church, screaming at God as to how he's offended Him.

In a star wars session, gungan got turned into a pelt that another character wore.

I had a rogue in a 3.5 game a while back.
During the first big fight, he snuck next to the enemies' most likely charge paths and dumped loads of poisoned caltrops in front of them to fuck up their charges.
It worked great until the one guy who spotted him charged him and started tearing him apart and bull rushing him around the map.
Eventually the only enemies who could see him died, but he was down to just six HP.
I immediately had him charge the nearest enemy. I forgot, however, that he was standing in a tile he'd previously caltrop'd.
He took a caltrop hit, botched his save against the poison, and dropped four points of con.
Which dropped his HP by 18, since this was a ninth level game.
Which put him at -12. And dead.
Because of his own caltrops.

My character was given a snapple from someone just trying to be nice, which she drank without thinking because she wasn't thinking straight at the time.
It turned out to be lemon snapple, and she was deathly allergic to citrus.

>Forcecage me in with the vampire, I'll teleport out with the hostage, no way i'll fail this save

One of my pcs was clubbed to death in a slave pit arena after he showed mercy. He now plays the slave who won

>Playing Magical Burst (magical girl game based on Madoka Magica)
>In the game there is something called "overcharge", where if you use your powers too much in a short period of time, you basically turn into a magical nuke and discharge all the magical buildup in a single blast.
>Players have already seen this happen once and lost a party member to it.
>Despite being aware of what this is, and having it explained to them in-game, the very next fight they're in, one of the players uses a barrier power to create what's essentially a bubble-shield that physical things can't pass through.
>Players then proceed to sit in their bubble and spam long-range magic attacks
>One player hits critical overcharge
>Whole party is in a bubble barrier that physical things can't pass through.
>Player characters are PHYSICAL THINGS
>Cue 2 turns of the party desperately hacking away at the barrier trying to deplete it's HP so they can escape the blast
>Don't even get the barrier whittled down to half-health before the blast of shitty damage rolls.
>Should have been a total party wipe, but the DM didn't wana end the game and gave everyone death save rolls, which only one player failed
>Rest of the players still got super injured and had to spend weeks recovering while the BBEG and his minions basically caused havoc completely unopposed.

what a sport

PF, party Arcanist constantly asks if he can see a gap through rubble the rest of the party are clearing away, as they know something important is on the other side of the cave-in. Forgetting he has the Dimensional Slide ability, I throw him a bone and say that he can see a tiny gap, too small to fit anyone through.
Smugly, he announces that he dimensional slides to the other side. The Ghoul, out of sight on the other side, bites and paralyzes him. The party still has a good half hour's worth of rubble to clear.
Ghoul gets a light meal.

I played in a MB game too, except
>be mentally unstable highschool girl
>accumulate around 48 points of overcharge in one turn during the extra boss fight.
>Other party member uses her reality marble to trap us in a pocket dimension with the extra boss
>I magical nuke, with my final action to be to give the dark version of my PC formed from a previous fallout my human body, allowing only my soul to be burned up in the blast.
>Yeah, she was evil, but she was also my PC's only real friend at that point in the campaign.
>Dark version of my PC chews out the only remaining meguca for letting her original self die.
>Other Meguca that cast the Reality Marble is pissed that her good friends died and her reality marble is ruined, so she uses her wish (which are obtained by getting 12 orbs, of which the extra boss gave us a complete set) to wish the dark version of my PC out of existence.
>Well, THAT existence. But that other story is a convoluted mess of a short story I should never have written.

Also, I should mention we became the magical girl mafia.

Sorcerer got shot in the head. His soul flew out of his body and he got reincarnated as a fish. The rest of the party found out and wanted to know what'd happen if we ressurected him.

So his soul ended up getting pulled out of the fish, and now the party has a braindead fish for a pet.

Invisible rogue attacking giant cockroach.
Fighter with greatsword, which is unaware of the rogue, attacks the cockroach and crit fails.
I tell him to roll another attack roll.
He crits it, and confirms it.
He killed the rogue in one blow, completely by accident, unaware that the rogue was there.

I had a character die from tasting green slime off a dungeon floor. Essentially dissolved from the inside out in about a minute.

My Lawful Neutral elf cleric secretly turned Lawful Evil via magic fuckery got squished by a moon after trying to hijack the BBEG's master plan, postmortem. 'Course, so did at least a fourth of the planet, but hey.

that's pretty rough. did you bring him back as a skeleton called 'Mr. Slimy Bones'?

If only I had a decent quality image of the skeleton jelly comic.

A dwarf on my party had a magic die that had infinite effects.
After about four or five rolls she had fucked her appearance up pretty badly.
She decided that one of the effects might be a reset.
Rolled again.
Turned into a male drow.
One last roll.
Lightning strikes and disintingrates her.
This happened right outside the gates of the city that they had been trying to get to for the entire quest.

The last time I DM'd I put a puzzle on my players with a bridge that turned so so you were always facing side A once you got half way. The idea was that if you walked across it backwards you'd be fine and get to side B easily. The party didn't figure that out however and decided that it'd be a much better idea if the fighter just tossed everyone over the ravine. For whatever reason the Wizard wen't first, completely flubbed his dex check and fell to his death. After that the rogue and bard got across, but the fighter was left stuck on the other side with no way to get across. Eventually the rogue and bard just walked back across the bridge and the group decided to find another place to get across. Credit to the wizard though, he took the whole thing in stride, even if it was the same character he'd had for the last four months.

that's a fairly inane way to die for a wizard. Good on him though, if my character died like that i'd have to come back as a revenant, there's no way I can die in such an undignified manner after doing so much.

>half-orc barbarian
>really str based char
>panic charges a double door to get out of a room after being held hostage
>tries to break the doors
>hits head
>falls down
>dies due to cerebral damage
>double doors opened by pulling, not pushing
>double doors were reinforced with steel but the orc panicked and didn't noticed

The game could've moved on with that character by having dementia or something like that, not being able to follow the barbarian route, slowly becoming an underfed, skinny, mad shaman or something.

excellent backstory for a mystic desu.

Not sure if sarcastic or not but the encounter itself was idiotic so I don't mind even if it was sarcastic.

no it legitimately is a good backstory for a mystic. their whole deal is magic powers through mental trauma.

Crushed my own head with my bare hands.

brutal

That's metal as fuck.

Context?

It was in a RIFTS game, and I was playing a Powered Armour Pilot. Due to some...Unfortunate party decisions, we ended up being confronted by some dragon that wanted to have us arrested, and we all fought. The Dragon cast some spell on my character that made him all transparent, and whenever I would deal damage to the dragon, my character would take that damage in the same location.

After realizing this, my character instead tried to grapple the dragon. Unfortunately I failed my pull punch roll, and instead grabbed him by the head, and squeezed really hard. I wasn't wearing a helmet.

Eels Barrel.

One friend of mine is known to put himself in bad situations and to worsen it every time he attempts to fix it.
Once, he killed a boy that witnessed him doing something illegal. He decided to burn the body, but regretted his decision and extinguished the fire. Then, filled with remorses he brought back the boy's half-burnt body to his father.
Father drew a gun and ordered him to step inside a barrel full of eels and then nailed the barrel shut. He died a slow and painful death, eaten alive by eels.

Now when he is considering doing something the whole party finds stupid, all we have to do is pronounce "Eels barrel" to make him reconsider his choices.

That's sick

Old age

The party had a mission to burn down a retirement home. Was told to not trust everything at face value.

A Minotaur Barbarian with severe mental deficiencies regarding coherent speech was mauled to death by an old lady wielding a walker.

She was one of disguised agents sent to protect it since the party was ratted out, but still.

DnD 5th ed, starting at level 1, made a wizard.
Twenty minutes in is the first fight.
Enemy is a Kobold rat-catcher and a dozen rats he's chased in our direction.
I rolled low on the initiative and won't get to go till last.
Got bitten by the rats twice.
Dead wizard.

Same group but on a different day I did a Wild-Magic Sorcerer and literally pulled off the turn one fireball TPK with the sole exception to the ranger who was to far off to the side.

After laughing about it we decided to ignore it and carry on.

i read that as wedding chainsaws

drafags pls

Had a character kill every one in an airship by accident by think he could conceal a grenade up his ass.

Party was starving after being lost in the mountains for so long their provisions ran out. Fighter in full plate drops his last bit of trail ration and tries to dive for it as it slides toward the edge of a cliff. Barely makes the roll to catch it, but fails his athletics check and subsequent reflex save to try and catch himself on something and cancel out his momentum. Sails right off the cliff and falls several thousand feet to his death over what was basically half a sandwich.

>crit fails
fuck you, please die

So you were all rolling to eat your sandwiches?
Really?
Really?

Eh it was probably just a joke roll to add a little humor during a dull patch.
I doubt the DM expected anyone to actively hurt themselves.

Our summoner fucking exploded after critfailing physical resistance against a Banshee's wail. Luckily we managed to rez her as a Lamia due some djinn fuckery later on, along our ranger who had died when he froze solid.

>playing one shot
>fighting an ogre in an enclosed space
>rogue runs into melee range and tries to attack
>natural 1 falls prone at the ogres feet
>nat 20 ogre smashes full strength with giant hammer
>blood completely covers me and the rest of the party
>try to retreat but slip on blood
>ogre slaughters the party

>DM makes you joke roll to eat your food
>you drop it and subsequently kill yourself in a series of unfortunate events

I know the general standard is "If you rolled it, it happens," but come on, there's a time and a place for retroactivity and DM fiat.

I hope that was Jar-Jar

Not really unusual, but goddamn RNG. I played in a group of friends for a few years where the GM ran only AD&D with completely random character gen, this led to me playing a thief. We leave town? Wolves on the random encounter table. My character is rather rapidly mauled to death.

So I wait for the party to stop at the next town and join them once more, having spent the time rolling up a new... thief. We leave town? Random encounter wolves. I almost escaped, until the dickass Assassin who was behind me stuck me with a paralyzing dart and left me to feed the wolves.

Fast forward a year, new campaign and I've not played a thief since. This time the GM had come up with extra random character creation charts, including sex/gender. So I rolled up a Dwarven Hermaphrodite (Rolled a 1 on percentiles three times in a row.) who only had Dex above 8, thus I was a thief. Random encounter. WOLVES.
I wish that it'd just been death to a running joke, but we all witnessed the random encounter table and the roll. At least my Dwarvish Hermaphrodite took four wolves down with them.

>Can i be a revenunt dood it'd be a good charakter arc pls

It's better than dying after falling off a cliff because of a retarded fighter

I'm hostile to the idea. I had a player who decided to stay behind and hold off two enemies while the party were all fleeing. He died on his own and decided he wanted to come back as a revenant to fuck the party over for leaving him despite him making no attempt to involve them in his heroic sacrifice. I had to spend half an hour explaining to him why it was a silly idea and didn't make sense.

Executed by getting vaporized with a faulty fusion reactor.

>mech/power armour scifi campaign in shittyass D20 - some UN Spacy vs. Space North Korea
>went all assault space marine on an flying aircraft carrier by hiding inbetween mecha missile spam and managed to down it from the inside
>failed my rolls to escape
>got captured by the enemy
>turns out the damn thing was being commanded by the wife of the dictator
>she didn't make it
>got tied onto the damaged fusion reactor of the flying carrier, and then they turned it on

Was okay, the other players took revenge on the dictator later by stepping on his legs with a mech. Extra bonus points for the dictator heading a space colony that was violently against bio and cyborg implants.

how does a braindead fish survive? Doesn't it need to be constantly swimming to breathe? Also, even if not, wouldn't it need modern medical machinery to keep it breathing?

put a pump in its bowl to keep the water moving?

do you feed it intravenously

top up the bowl with healing potion occasionally to negate the starving damage?

Who's dumber, the fighter for tossing the wizard or the wizard for going along with the plan?

Got hit with a deathcurse causing magical constipation, leading to death by inability to eliminate wastes.

>Fire Mage
>Power level pretty high because of exponential scaling
>Seperated from party
>Be trapped in some kind of mental asylum where political prisoners are kept in check by eating food that gives you extra chromosomes. Got caught in purpose trying to break someone out.
>Well whoever tries to keep me here must surely know how powerful I am.
>I bet they have set up some powerful magic wall around this place
>Anyways, I could try to blast a hole through it, since I am pretty powerful myself
>cast explosion, nearly full power
>critical fail
>dont have any rerolls left
>there goes the wall
>and the room
>and everyone in it
>and the entire building
>and the neighbouring ones
>and the entire city block
>There wasn't even any barrier

This was about 20 Minutes into a solo session with the DM (planned for several hours). Shit was hilarious.

Oh yeah, also we were one session away from becoming planeswalker.

Fucking ogre crits

The same thing happened to a character of mine

>Cleric walking ahead of party
>Turns corner, zombie Ogres
>My Thief/Fighter dexfag rushes in to support boldly
>zogre rolls a 20, confirms, and I go from full to -10

Wasn't even mad, but it did put a delay in the game's events as 2nd Character McBackup had to be created and introduced

>Finished tough fight
>Character finds magical robe in pile of loot.
>writes his name on robe to claim them as his own
>robe is sentient and doesn't like being written on
>character is so weak from fight he gets smothered to death by the cloak

Same thing arrived to the sorcerer of my previous campaign.
Party was stopped by an ogre on the way, a really stupid one who demanded a toll. They could (and most did) literally give him a single copper piece to pass unharmed.
The barbarian very stubbornly refused, though, as a matter of pride. The ogre dropped the club on him, the barbarian sidestepped, the sorcerer standing just behind got reduced to instant puree. They had to scrape him off the road.
At least they had him reincarnated.

I also had a player die once by trying to manually shove away a fantasy naval mine akin to an exploding sea urchin.

Storm King's Thunder, the party was fighting Hill Giants.
The party rogue decided to make Con his dump stat. He told me he wanted to attack one of the giants and distract it, so I said, okay.
Next time the giant was up, he attacked the rogue and scored a critical hit. The bastard rolled like four eights on his critical and the rogue went from full health to massive damage death in one fucking swing.
He was also a halfling, so it was basically the image of
>"I got this, guys!"
>"Ug smash!"
>Halfling soup

That's pretty good actually.

>Character chokes to death on food

your party must've not liked that pc if they just ran with it

>Also, I should mention we became the magical girl mafia.

pretty much how Madoka worked really

>now son, you gonna git in dat barrel whetha ya lik it or not you hear

>Playing Call of Cthulhu
>Party encounters cultist lair with a breeding pit for massive, living sausages comprised of screaming faces
>One party member loses too many sanity points, taking them over 20% loss for the session
>Becomes completely insane and leaves the party
>Player rolls up a new character to finish the scenario
>Keeper secretly makes the insane character a possessed NPC
>Party encounters mind-controlled minions of cult leader
>Player's new character gets stabbed to death by old character

One of my player drinked "the infinite potion" last session. It's a blue potion that have an infinite symbole on it. Once my player finished drinking the potion, he instantly transformed in this very potion. Now there an empty infinite potion next to a full infinite potion. The player was happy that his character had a funny death.

>be on a mission to destroy city's armory
>blow up 15% of the city by mistake
>the same city that was half destroyed by freeing two dozens of magical beasts some months before
>maybe we'd better leave the city

>"okay, but let me buy some potions first"
>make the bard distract the shopkeeper while I, the mage, go invisible into the warehouse
>there are magic sensors
>SHIT SHIT SHIT
>have the best idea
>cast fireball on the wall
>next to all thos potions
>MAGICAL SINGULARITY
>i'm floating into the nothingness
>yay!

As a positive side, the bard almost died and i blew up another 65% of the city

This is pretty up there

>kill a green dragon
>warlock rolls survival to carve out its heart
>green and the size of his head - more ventricles, slimy surrounded by membrane that stings to the touch
>I want to eat it
>as you bite into it - the poison burns your mouth
>I still eat it
>ok
>roll constitution to not vomit
>saves
>"sweet about to get dragon powers"
>roll poison breath damage, kills him

Bitten to death by a rat after killing a bunch of spectres.

>Going through dungeon
>Killing shit, having fun
>Rogue just finished disabling another one among a whole hallway of traps. Just one hallway of many.
>DM: "Hey I just remembered that the creature the rogue got hit by had a petrification effect. Roll a fort save"
>Rogue rolls a 13 total.
>GM: "Okay. Well since the rogue was dead a while ago you couldn't disarm any of the traps. I'll just roll damage"
>He rolls damage for each of the traps
>Party wipe an hour before now.
>Retroactive player kill
>Retroactive TPK

Me and my group have made a rule that if damage isn't added up by the DM or the player before the next person attacks then nothing happened. It's shitty of your DM to pull a "Oh, by the way.." like that even if you should've died. If they forget to do it then it never happened.

That's such bullshit. If he really wanted the petrification to happen, he should have said it was a delayed effect or something

Playing a 3.5 sorcerer in a military campaign, we're in some glaciers and tundra area, and my character gets dropped to the negatives whilst riding a horse. I have to roll to stay on the horse and it turns out I am not using a military saddle. A six is rolled on the falling damage. WELP, dead character. So technically he died from falling off his horse. Just like in my Nethack Animes!

Now I've got to put this into one of my games.

Well, I didn't die, but I could've if I wasn't a lucky bastard
>Playing a two player only war game
>We're both weapon specialists
>I'm a feudal world knight,who does not have his riding beast
>We're fighting orks
>Scary accurate orks
>Scary smart orks
>Fuckers shot me around six times in the head through the session
>Swear the ork snipers thing is fucking real now
>Anyways, we're in our second combat, in some abandoned admech facility
>Where we found signs the cog boys were experimenting on orks for some fucking reason
>I have no respect for machine spirits
>Neither do the orks
>Go through 6 frag grenades since my longest range of attack is 30m
> Finally get my chance to close into melee
>get taken down to 0 wounds by gunfire and explosives *fucking orks still firing in melee, cowardly xenos scum*
>Charge down a hallway I know there's an orc down
>on the way learn krak grenades have no blast radius, and say I'll need to hit someone with one for fun

See where this is going?
>Orc steps out from the corner, and swings something at me
>Stare at me DM with a mixture of rage and amusement as I realize he took my idea
>Roll to parry, miss
>-7 wounds now, ork is dead, but it didn't hit my head thankgod
>No, it hit my chainsword arm, and I would've died if I didn't pass my toughness test....and you know have 3 fate points.
>But my arm still becomes a bloody stain on the floor
>and my chainsword got busted

We had a good laugh when I ranted about the dm being a motherfucker for stealing my idea, the only thing I was mad at, and we laughed harder when I realized

out the three games of only war I played.

in two of them, I have lost and arm by the end of the first session.

At least this time I didn't burn a fate point to save my hand, then lose my entire arm....fucking heavy bolters

> Magical constipation spell.
> Material component: a medium sized cork.

That's just bullshit.

Was DMing a session with a post-apocalyptic setting and had one of the party members tied up to wooden poles and set on fire by marauders ala The Road Warrior

He took it pretty well, given he was the party's 'medic' and had already distributed most of his supplies amongst the rest of the group before being captured.

Drawn and quartered in a ritual by Hitler's Youths while looking for magical artifacts in 'nam.

Fucking GM had way too much fun with that one.

kek

Underrated post.

Failing a cha check on a noble which results in my character choking themself while masturbating out of depression and dying.

DM really comes with weird crap on crit failures.

>He now plays the slave who won

>crit fumbles

>Failing a cha check on a noble which results in my character choking themself while masturbating out of depression and dying.

The assumption is correct in that nobody expected him to go after the fucking sandwich. He wasn't going to die if he didn't eat that sandwich right there and them, he just pulled out a snack on a windy mountain pass. DM asked him to roll to see if he could keep hold of his food while still managing to deal with gusts of freezing wind and he failed. Nobody at the table figured he'd dive for the food or that he'd fail two rolls, let alone the first. He had the second highest Athletics skill in the party but got fucked by RNG twice in a row. The DM offered to skip back to before the sandwich, but the player thought flying off a cliff after a his snack was funny enough to let it slide and be willing to roll a new character.

His new character was a crazy mountain hermit like the Bear Claw from Jeremiah Johnson that lived in a cabin near the same mountain pass we were lost in. Took the party in, warmed them, berated them for being unprepared, and then offered to guide them off the mountain.

Last week Guest DM wanted to kill my character for insulting his honour or something and so he just made up the most cringe inducing animu death he can think of and everyone stopped playing and he was never invited again
It was a Kitsune Incest Twin Demon With Dual Katanas each which they could mix into a single katana to do they're special super move the seductresses whip which is just one big swing
I rolled a Nat 20 and decapitated them
He made them immortal and just did the rock falls party dies shit.......oh god....what they said after...."nobody mess with DM-SAMA!"

That never fucking happened, and you know it.

Dickass invisible rogue decides to fuck around with a random ogre while scouting ahead before combat.
DM decides ogre (who turned out to be the boss waiting alone in a random side room) doesn't believe in ghosts/bluff checks and just randomly steps forward and swings at the square in front of him.
Critical hit, max damage, beheads rogue instantly.

>All these fags salty about crit fails
Fucking neckbeards man

Wow, that's fucking retarded.

Pic very related