>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Starter spells
sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/ (Bear elves edition)
>

Players crafting magic items, yes or no?

1st for romancing minotaur NPCs

If they put in the time and effort, and work together with their DM to make a magic item, then why not?

>four arms
he could fist four people at once.

He's probably packing a second set of knockers between his legs as well.

>Players crafting magic items, yes or no?
Only if they have a talent for it, and only at a rate as slow as their normal progression. So they end up with a specific magic weapon, but that's their only advantage.

Question of my own - how do you guys handle certain checks, like History or Arcana? Do you let the whole party roll to see if they can pass it, essentially ensuring that they will because it's multiple advantage?

I'm thinking of having it so only players with proficiency in Arcana can roll to identify a magical artifact (and if no one has proficiency, just whoever has the highest stat for it). Likewise History, Nature, etc.

oh shit. hextuple fisting capabilities. Can anyone even stop this beast?

The argument is that allowing the creation of magical items kinda trivializes going into dungeons or ancient ruins and such to get them.

There's also the argument that if humanity had the secrets to creating magical items, all of society would then logically run on magi-tech or be in the process of moving in that direction... and so magitech and magical item creation should be reserved for the ancient civilizations of the past that fell for one reason or another and took their secrets with them.

I still find a good compromise is to allow magic item creation, but require that it takes rare materials like dragon-scales and such. The key here is to NEVER allow the players to buy these things, so they have to go on kill-quests themselves. Or make the final step in the item-creation to be to coat the sword in the blood of a still-living mythical beast or somesuch.

the solution to that is that the dungeons or ancient ruins are the ones that contain the REALLY GOOD magical items, whereas the ones that are currently craftable are either not able to be pumped up to that level of power, or if it was possible to make them as powerful as the ancient magical items, they'd need to be made through some insanely expensive, multiple days long ritual, that needs many material reagents and people for it to work. Or enormous amounts of human sacrifice, depends what your fluff is.

If they have the reasonable skills, level, money and materials. Sure.

Just make sure they ask you if it's okay to start working on X before they decide to do it. So you can stop certain items you don't want to appear from coming up.

Also offering to have someone else craft it for them at 2x the price is a good one. It allows them to get some stuff done while they're away from home.

>
A belt of giants strength +! could be reasonably crafted by contacting someone with the appropriate skills and vast sums of wealth.

A belt of giants strength +3 is probably only going to be found being worn by some viking looking motherfucker living with frost giants and will give it up to you if you can send him to valhalla.

If they can't EVER buy reagents, why have gold? As long as you control the currency the party gains in the same manner, it lets the party trade in gold for things with a lower total value.

>Loot includes 3 X, 2 Y, and 50 gold
>X is worth 200 gold, Y 500 gold, but selling monster parts requires a license so the party can only do it in shady ways/at an extreme loss.

It makes the party feel like gold actually matters if they can directly compare it to the special stuff.

precisely. Players can craft magic items. They're just gonna need effort, and not be as good as something they could kill someone for.

Buying some of the regeants =/= buying ALL of the regeants.

So is it bad if my Sorcerer only has 11AC and I don't plan to take Mage Armour or Shield anytime soon?

Sure hope someone in your frontline has sentinel

So it is an issue? Fuck, I guess I could take one at level 2 but my level 1 picks were Guiding Bolt and Cure Wounds (I'm a Favored Soul).

Mage Armour would be better at low levels though right? -2 AC but it lasts 8 hours.

I found it strange that elves have immunity from magical sleep and resistance to charm effects as a result of fey heritage, yet no actual fey beings have that trait. It's almost like elves don't necessarily have to be connected to the Fey. Furthermore the way that they trance instead of sleeping it's like they have a vendetta against sleep.

Im thinking of playing with this concept more.

Honestly, it depends entirely on what your dm decides to throw at your party. If its undead then theyll just mindlessly run at whatevers closest and you wont give a fuck but something with intelligence is going to be on your ass like you wouldnt believe, Doubly so if they have a ranged weapon(Bandits/tuckers kobolds)

I like to imagine its because elves are afraid of sleeping. As if some powerful fiend or outergod haunts the dreams of elvenkind

What the actual fuck? Is it too much to ask for you to act like a normal person?

I'm new to D&D and my friend who DMs got me into it. He gave me what you see in the picture and I looked it up and it doesn't seem to fit into any edition though he mentioned he likes to homebrew. It's somewhat close to unearthed arcana but obviously the paper he gave me has many abilitys that the other doesn't and vice versa. Is this his homebrewing because I because I can't find where this came from through google. Also what is HD D8?

We're doing LMoP and I've been through it before so I know there's a lot of things that will fuck me up. The DM's changing it a little to fit in with his setting and to throw my memory off a little but he doesn't mind that I know it because everyone else is completely new and won't know when to run.

I haven't played anything below d8 Hitdie or without medium armour in this edition so I don't know how much the 9HP and 11AC at level one will hurt.

This is what you get for allowing /pfg/ to get into our great /5eg/ country. It's too late to build a wall now. Enjoy your second /furryfetish/ general.

I think the solution has already been present to us? You need a formula to create magic item. You need to delves into dungeon to get that formula.

HD 8 is your health. You roll a d8 each level for health (normal rule allow you to take the average of the dice too, but your DM seem like a "special" kinda DM).

Definitely hombrew. Feat or Attribute at level 4,8,12,... seems to indicate that it use 5e as a base.

But the math seem to indicate other wise (DC using half level instead of proficiency? That sound like 3e or 4e).

I think you should stay away from the heavily homebrew content like this.

This doesn't look like D&D honestly.

If it is it's some kind of 3e clone or something, sure as hell ain't from any official source and none of the editions use rules like this. Would you mind asking him what edition this is?

Or like they know about some malign purpose sleep has and they seek to avoid it.

Some reason they have a goddess of the moon that's associated with dreams despite not being able to sleep and thus dream. This could be an oversight, or the moon and dreams have a more sinister purpose.

Is it really that bad? Also I'm wondering if this will be too over powered. What he made for me seems way better than unearthed arcana plus for my feats I'm getting crossbow mastery for the extra attack but hes letting me use a composite bow instead. The other feat is sharpshooter but instead of the +5 -10 he changed it to be more consistent but either way its a damage increase.

We don't even know which edition this is brah. He might homebrew that rule too and everything has 9x health or something.

Actually since Free Action doesn't exist in 5e, I'm pretty sure this isn't for 5e (or your DM is shit at system mechanic and shouldn't be allow to homebrew anything until he actually read through DMG and PHB).

I know this is probably a cliche topic from what I've read, but is it possible to do dual crossbows like Diablo Demon Hunters? I hear they edited the feat of Crossbow Expert to remove it. I don't mind having to invent something or magic, but just curious how hard THAT is.

Standard and Passive also doesn't exist in 5e.
And +1 movement? What the heck is that? 1 square? 1 feet??

This is literally another kind of system.

Nope.

They didn't edited Crossbow Expert, they edited ammunition quality to require free hand.

It could work if you get both Crossbow Expert and a self reloading crossbow.

RAW and RAI it's impossible I'm pretty sure.

If you ask your DM it shouldn't be hard. Crossbow Expert lets you take 2 attacks with a single one and there's no mechanical difference to saying you're using a second one for the attack.

It's edgy and gay though, but if you find it fun then ask him.

I know its kinda edgy, I just am curious to see how its doable. I'm curious of how to make a Monster Slayer from UA.

Essentially, you can hold one in each hand and shoot each of them, but to reload, you need a free hand. But as mentioned in you can still shoot twice and reload using Crossbow Expert and your DM will probably allow refluffing.

I also want an answer to this.

It's kind of arbitrary but my rule with stuff like this is the two characters with the highest bonus get to roll
I tried the "only proficient" way and it basically meant the party always failed knowledge rolls and always passed perception rolls
You could also try group skill checks (everyone rolls but you need multiple successes (half successes I think?))

Surprise round doesn't exist in 5e!

Might also mean +1 Initiative as some game systems kind of use movement/speed as initiative as well.

Is there context for this?

Reposting from old thread:

How would you make encounters with drow casters with summoning magic? Specifically the priests or whatever they are that have a 30% chance of summoning a CR10 Demon. Do you balance the encounter around them summoning the demon or not summoning it?

Also planning to have a campaign where some sort of elves (drow/high or both allied as 'elvish race') are basically committing ethnic cleansing in the world and it's up to the PCs to stop them. The higher ups of the elves have demons granting them power and fueling their plans. How would you make elf BBEGs. The leader of the order of elves would be the biggest bad guy and he would send an assassin after the PCs after they cause his plans trouble. I also want to make basically swordmages for them, so guys with medium AC (13-15), shortswords and access to spells like lightning bolt, fire shield or flame blade and some other random spells. Just grab the drow stats and buff them up a bit?

I'm pretty sure it means +1 square, I know at least my group writes speed as both ft and squares because we use a grid a lot

Hey, I picked up a ring a few sessions ago and I was wondering what it could be.

It was pretty ordinary looking, silver, it had a very basic eye shape engraved on the outside of it.

When I put it on it tightened around my finger, not too tight but when I try to pull it off it tightens even further, though it relaxes when I stop.

My current DM is a little forgetful so he often misses checks and stuff, but every now and then if i'm near one of my party members he'll be required to make a charisma roll and I roll for perception, i've rolled both high and low and so has the other party member, but the DM just says nothing happens and to move on.

Any ideas?

Well that's what it most likely is, but +1 square of movement is completely useless when you most likely have 30 at level 1.

What's the reason to use a sorc over a wizard and vice versa? Sorc's seem kinda bad in comparison unless it's purely for damage, but even then wouldn't Warlock beat them out consistently?

It's a ring of fairy fucking. You stick your dick in it, and then get to fuck a random fairy in a random hole.

The extant surprise rules are all dumb. Makes Assassin the worst Rogue Archetype.

Either everyone has to be stealthed, making rogue characters reliant on their party going along with it, or you read it as only one person has to be stealthed in order to make enemies surprised, making stealth characters super overpowered.

It makes much more sense to say that stealthed characters get a surprise round if they go undetected by all the enemies.

Depends if the +1 square is added to your base movement speed or total movement/turn.

Also helps breaking ties. No "as long as I have a headstart I can't be caught, since we all move 30 anyway".

Twin spell haste
Twin spell polymorph
Heighten Banishment
Enhanced Ability

Bonus action GFB meme build.

To multiclass with Warlock and Also, they got some nice archetypes in UA. The stone sorcerer is pretty great.

How much of a CR increase would it be if a creature becomes permanently hasted?

Immigrant from 3.pf never actually read PHB and doesn't realize how surprise work in 5e.

>movement speed or total movement/turn
Aren't these the same?
>Breaking ties
I agree here. It's pretty infuriating that practically everyone moves 30ft by default.

How far do you multiclass into Warlock?

GFB meme build?

> what is a group check

+2 AC, double movement speed, extra attack.

Just stat for that as you would for anything else.

Favored Soul (the one with extra attack at level 6)
Cast haste on self

Use Attack (with extra attack)
Haste Attack
Then bonus action quicken GFB or BB.

Laugh at fighter as you get 4 attack at level 6.

Depends on creature.
If it has some kind of charge or fast movement getting double movement is very powerful. (100ft fly x2)
>+2AC
At early levels kind of a big deal as PCs have +4-+6 in attack rolls. Later it's pretty much whatever.
>Advantage on Dex saves
Depends on party. If you have a lot of dex save spammers via spells this ability is a lot more powerful than if theres only one spell.
>Additional action
Only one weapon attack so not that op. It's nice.

2 level of Warlock. You only need agonizing blast and use warlock spell slot as your Sorcery point rechargeable battery.

Quicken Eldritch Blast to your heart content.

Your movement speed is 30, but you can often move more or less by using your standard action for more movement, or giving up half your movement when standing up, etc.

If you had an ability that was essentially a free 1 square of movement every turn, regardless of everything else (I'd probably write it like "as a free action, you may move 5 feet once on every of your turns") that'd be different than adding +5 to your movespeed.

Also, just a note "squares" are usually "5 feet squares". So +1 square is 5 feet, which is still significant with 30 movement speed.

Also also, chases should be handled with athletics rolls, not movement speed.

I'd go 2-3 levels into warlock, depending on if I want to pick up a pact benefit or not.

> 2017
> D&D 5th edition
> Standard Action
> Free Action
GET OUT

no u

Helpful

Standard is useful to denote that it is not a bonus action.

Free action is shorter than the 5e nomenclature of "without action" or whatever the writer is feeling at that point.

Natural language was a mistake.

I'm a 9 INT commoner and I'm playing an 18 INT wizard. How do I step my game up and play smarter?
For instance, I've been in possession of an ancient amulet with inscriptions for a whole session and didn't think of using Comprehend Languages to read them until now.

Does anyone else feel that there's a rebalance needed for the lvl 6 features for monk archetypes.

For example take the LvL 6 feature of Sun soul monks , casting burning hands as LvL 1 spell for 2 ki.
At that level burning hands is allready in the same usefulness range as cantrips.
Would lowering the ki cost to 1 ki break anything?

Continuously pester the DM with rolling knowledge checks to see if your character thinks of something smart.

Accept that you'll never be as intelligent as your character.

That's 8 1d10+5's right, that's kinda nutty consistent damage. I imagine you wouldn't want to go the dragon magic then, right? You seem covered for raw damage already.

The tome pact is looking good, or is that pointless considering I'd already have sorc?

read the UA faggot

>Does my character think of something smart?
>I don't fucking know play your character you dumb shit
>Thanks DM

What's the value in doing that as opposed to an individual surprise round, though?

>I'm a 9 CHA commoner and I'm playing an 18 CHA bard. How do I step my game up and play more charismatic?

Just roll charisma checks instead of roleplaying duh.

>That's 8 1d10+5's right, that's kinda nutty consistent damage. I imagine you wouldn't want to go the dragon magic then, right? You seem covered for raw damage already.

Yeah, you are a lot more free.

>The tome pact is looking good, or is that pointless considering I'd already have sorc?

Tome pact is good to pick up some spells not available to either, such as Shillelagh (if you want to cover melee as well). Also rituals.

It is also let you cast Burning Hand as a bonus action. Something that Sorcery would need 2 Sorcery point to cast.

And AoE is stronger than cantrip (if you hit more than one target)

Unless you hit 3-4, you'd have been better off attacking and flurrying.

Less mess of a rule.
Heavy armor character get to have fun too, it is a group game after all.

Make Assassinate work as intend, instead of being a munchkin wet dream.

So use it when there's a group around and if not then use your Sun Bolts.

Are you arguing that the AoE ability should be used over the single target ability when fighting a single target?

Like all invocation, Tomepact ritual only scale with Warlock level.

So you won't get fun stuff like Divination or Tiny hut

Does anyone use lego figures for your characters?

Yeah. Also toy soldiers, chess pieces and cut out cardboard.

>Heavy armor character get to have fun too

But in a group check, ALL the enemies are surprised, unless you do it for each individual enemy. In that case, it's essentially a surprise round anyway. Just for everyone, rather than for an individual stealthy character.

Plus -

>"Cool, so as the Rogue, I have +10 to stealth, I pass."
>"I'm heavy armour man. I fail."
>"Wizard here. I fail too."
>"Cleric. Fail as well."
>"Fuck you guys, being the only stealthy guy sucks."

Squares are 5ft. So it would go from 6 to 7.

Charisma rolls like that are measuring the force of personality, usually to resist banishment or, more importantly, possession.

Ah, gotcha. In that case would 2 Warlock/18 Sorc into wild magic be a good move? I was looking at the pseudo cleric sorc path also, but wild looks like way too much fun, especially mixed with the fact I'll be tossing two spells a turn doubling my chance of activating it.

I think wild is basically a 0 sum archetype for the most part... but it's still not weak enough to be useless, just not really much of a benefit.

If you like the idea of random spell effects, it's playable.

It's more based on removing everything that's useless for me or I don't like. Dragon and water looked iffy, stone could be useful but I don't want to be doing melee combat and it seemed like I'd only be using pheonix for the res. Are there any cleric spells which would make the pseudo-cleric sorc path worth it? I've never played one before, I've mostly just stuck with paladins and rogues.

O right that's correct on the squares. I was being retarded.

Which type of character should I play:
Half-Orc Fighter/Warlock
Fallen Aasimar Fighter/Sorcerer

Try to take lots of notes and create contingency plans and such. You'll never have 18 INT, but you have lots of time to make up the difference.

Nasty !

>usually to resist banishment or, more importantly, possession.
Yeah, I had an inkling it could be the latter.

I was thinking possibly it could make the other person aggro or something at me?

The difference is irrelevant, you control the flow of gold regardless.

Is there any real reason to play a Rogue in melee and not use a bow? Just seems extremely silly and a quick way to get yourself killed.

Fallen Aasimar can easily become crawling in my skin tier edgy. Half-Orc Hexblade seems like a cool guy to have around.

Yeah, good idea. I'll make a journal for my character.

Your guess is as good as mine. It could be a LG ring compelling people to do good stuff, it could be the fucking One Ring making you guys deliver it to daddy.

Swashbuckler's can get Sneak Attack without an ally, it can stop an archer or caster from attacking with their favored tricks and Arcane Tricksters can BB/GFB. Also depends on what magic items you get because +1 to hit is pretty good on a Rogue.

Other then that, flavor.

Bow or hand crossbow? Hand crossbow is the best weapon for rogue but you need to invest in 2 feats to make it work.

Melee rogue is easy to survive since they can use cunning action to disengage.

Swashbuckler or AT with Booming blade or Green flame blade.

Depends on what your build is. If you can pull in an Extra Attack from multiclassing, you get the advantage of dual-wielding. Sure, you can get that with Crossbow Mastery, but there are other ways to end up with things.

>Roguelocks with Blade Pact can't get ranged weapon unless Fey Patron
>Swashbucklers can dive in and out without risking themselves, especially if Hasted
>BB/GFB

It's a little easier to get sneak attacks. If you go arcane trickster or grab magic idept you can grab summon fimilar and have them help action every round so you never don't sneak attack with a ranged weapon.

>Hand crossbow is the best weapon for rogue
Why is it better than cantrips?