AD&D 3rd Edition

How to do an AD&D 3rd edition that:
1. Isn't a mere houseruled 2nd edition;
2. Don't stray too far so it becomes 3.PF
3. Brings AD&D to the new millenium

Should 5e Advantage be good to canibalize?

Other urls found in this thread:

adnd3egame.com/documents/dmg.pdf
adnd3egame.com/documents/phb.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why not just 5e? Redesign some classes and take out hit dice and you are done.

But then it would be D&D 5e, not AD&D 3rd. There's a design shift from one to another.

There already was a fanmade 3e wasn't there?

So, your design criteria are, as far as I can tell:
>Must be distinct from 2e
>Must not be distinct from 2e
>Must be old
>Must be new

Do I have those right?

Is it good?

This is basically what I got out of the OP as well.

Write AD&D 3e on the box?

It's better than 3.PF

That bar is so low that even Hermes Conrad and Barbatos Slim in their prime can't limbo under it.

Chris Perkins' "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition"
Here's the DMG: adnd3egame.com/documents/dmg.pdf
and the PHB: adnd3egame.com/documents/phb.pdf

Isn't 2e just a houseruled 1e?

Thank you! Looks decent.

Kek

>What is it you want differently in 2e?
>What exactly are you looking to keep from 2e?

Do you just want 2e with ascending AC and no thaco?

Can't the same be said of 3.0 and 3.5?

I guess it is all about the "feel", where monsters weren't XP piñatas and through advancement (level) came from exploring and looting and surviving.

Dungeons were sites of dread, where parties entered to try to recover the Helm of Helm and return alive (most of the time trying to find it quickly and running back to town), instead of "13 rooms of monsters to fight, lets clear all rooms before - or even after! finding the Helm of Helm"

Oh.

You can get that just fine with very minimal houserules for 3.x/4e/5e.

It's literally as easy as:
>Run a more lethal game. Make tougher fights/dungeons/traps.
>Don't put all the treasure *on* the enemies
>Dont use the default XP reward rules. Give XP for something else.
And suddenly the game focus and player behavior changes drastically.

Why kill all the monsters if that's dangerous and that's not where the incentives are?

I haven't given combat XP since 2009. My advice is to steal the XP rules from Shadowrun and adapt and calibrate them to the advancement pace you're looking for. It's like 1-3 pages of houserules.

But if you wanna reward people specifically for looting, you could do that instead.

Like, if you wanted to do that with 3.x, look at the WBL chart. In your game there is no XP. Only WBL. When you find enough treasure that you're worth the next level in gear, you level up. If gear is lost, they end up getting more loot than the other players until they catch up to the group again.

Easy fix.

Any other things that you want advice for?

You can just play 5th edition. It feels like 2nd, plays like 3-3.5 and uses many gimmicks of 4th.

Apparently he dislikes the murderhobo style of gaming modern dnd causes. I solved that for him .

I dunno if he has any other gripes, but if that's it, he can with just a couple small tweaks, use any of 3e/4e/5e.

>I guess it is all about the "feel", where monsters weren't XP piñatas and through advancement (level) came from exploring and looting and surviving.

1e grogs would tell you that what you want is 1e and that 2e introduced XP piñatas and boring narrativist railroads.

They'd be wrong.
1e is where the problem started, Chainmail was free of that bullshit.