>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z4UdK0lBafM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Have you ever run or played in a campaign with mounts that werent horses/druids? How did it go?

I find it odd that the monster manual has so many mount options but i cant really see them as remotely balanced to say nothing of the usual problem mount focused characters have

My druid ride a raven familiar. Does that count?

PSA: surprise round doesn't exist in 5e!

But it should.

i haven't played a campaign with mounts at all, i run one with camels as mounts but they were obviously just crossing a desert so it was a sensible decision and not really what you want to know.

Sup Veeky Forums.

I'm starting a Curse of Strahd campaign with a DM and two players in addition to myself. I'm the most experienced of the players, and want to do my best to carry them in combat, so I'm going to play a Barbarian. I'd like some help optimizing, so I came to you for help.

We are starting at Level 3, but plan on taking the campaign to 20 after we finish Strahd. The other party members are a Rogue and a Cleric.

We are being given 300 gold and 1 Uncommon Magical Item to start with. The DM is open to me using my 300 gold on additional uncommon magical items, with the understanding that uncommon items cost between 101-500 GP and I won't be able to buy just anything.

Here are the stats I rolled:
14, 12, 12, 12, 11, 9

I'm planning on taking Variant Human so that I can start with Polearm Master and play Tank/Control. Maybe also taking Sentinel at level 4, or Great Weapon Fighting for more damage.

Thoughts on how I can make my build stronger? I'm thinking of taking Gauntlets of Ogre Power to make up for my low rolls so that I can bump my Strength, and/or Amulet of Health.

Any thoughts or feedback to help me carry the team? I'm open to other magical items or suggestions on how I can protect the team, I'm probably going to be taking the brunt of combat with the cleric healing me religiously.

>implying you don't home rule it in already

Hell even some Adventurer's League DMs do that

Yes it does, you missing a section of your PHB?

>Of course, again, it doesn't say that going invisible is 6 seconds
There's your answer. It's bullshit to say if something goes invisible you can still hit them as they're "fading away", because that makes invisibility even shittier that it is.

Can we expect to see epic levels one day? Or has that been scrapped for this edition?

AL has a few epic level adventures

I love it when people don't know the rules and act like they do.

It's a surprised state right

Is this the next level of trolling?

>crafting 9th level spell scroll
>costs 250,000 GP
>sells for 25,000-150,000 GP
Sounds legit.

Surprised creatures don't act on the first round of combat, but there isn't an additional "surprise round."

Hopefully, not. 10-20 levels barely see the light already, epic levels will be dead just like in 3.5 times

I'm so tired of reading min/maxer builds.

They don't act on their first turn, not the entire round.

You're already being too much of a munchkin. You don't need any more help.

Amulet of Health is rare for the record.

No. So many people get the rule wrong (because they don't actually read PHB), so we better spread the right ruling around.

>Curse of Strahd
>Giving players shit ton of gold and ability to just buy magic items
Your DM is a hack.

Read the rule again or go back to /pfg/.

Why does Wizards hate Plate Armor Veeky Forums?

Played in Out of the Abyss. Couldn't upgrade armor past Chain until we left the Underdark at level 8 (We didn't go to Duergar land so maybe I missed something there?).

Played in Curse of Strahd. There is one set of lootable plate armor in Barovia.

It's in a coffin in the room we fucking fought Strahd in.

Played in Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

Broke Villagers aint got no goddamn plate.

why wizards.

why.

Why would a Mystic have Magic Initiate?

There's like, five plates in Death House.

Also, the Vistani are master smiths, read the splatbooks, casual

Because they dabbled in learning magic before they awakened their mystic powers.
Because they pretended they didn't have mystic powers and learned a few things through an apprenticeship
Because they grew up around people with magical powers and learned a few things

Same reasons a sorcerer could have magic initiate really.

You're only supposed to get plate armor in the second tier of play, somewhere between 5th and 10th level. So 8th level sounds alright. HotDQ has two sets of lootable plate armor by level 6 or so. Don't know about CoS, maybe there should be some blacksmith one a couple sets, or you might have to get creative with how you acquire it...

>There's like, five plates in Death House.
NO, PLEASE. Let us not bring that meme back.

We started at L3, skipped Death House.

Why would I read the book my DM is running?

Huh, I mussed have missed the HotDQ ones.

-How to Play a Warlock Effectively-
1. Take Eldritch Blast and Agonizing Blast. It's good to always have as a fall back, but don't use it every round. Spamming Eldritch Blast is sub-optimal.
2. Take spells and cantrips that allow for varied effects and out-of-combat utility or spells that outshine EB, like scorching ray, Evard's Black Tentacles, or Phantasmal Force. Also, use your reaction for spells that aren't eldritch blast in combat. Hellish Rebuke packs a punch.
3. Take either Pact of Chain or Pact of Tome. Chain tends to be better for shorter low-leveled campaign, and Tome is better for more drawn-out games where you know there will be lot's of time to hunt down scrolls and magical tutors. If you really want to pick Blade, EB becomes less necessary, but pick up Fire Shield, Armor of Agathys, and Hellish Rebuke. You'll be getting hit a lot, but with these spells in your wheelhouse, getting hit in melee becomes a good thing.
4. Play a variant human. You can take warcaster or resilient if you want to be more martially inclined. If you want to take the caster route grab hex as a one/long-rest spell via magic initiate to conserve your spell slots. Hex probably should have been a free class-feature for the warlock anyways, but no use crying over spilled milk, and only being able to cast it once a day is undercut by the fact that it still lasts for an hour and there are so many other concentration spells worth taking.
5. Convince your party to take short-rests after most combats. A good deal of other classes get benefits from short-rests and everyone likes to heal wounds. Short-rests aren't as uncommon as everyone makes them out to be, you just have to motivate the party to take them when you need them.
6. Have fun and don't expect to feel like a wizard or a cleric. You are playing a warlock. Expect to feel like you're playing a warlock. You get less spells and a smaller list, but you can blow your load every fight and be much more cavalier than the other casters.

>It doesn't specifically say that an action happens over the course of their turn, so it must happen instantly!
No.
You're supposed to use common sense. The rules state that you'll still be able to attack only with disadvantage, so that's what the monster's CR is expected to be and you're expected to be able to explain why this happens rather than it automatically hiding, and I've given an explanation why.
If you want it to hide, add in 'When it goes invisible, it also may attempt to hide' and increase its CR.

>Invisibility is shit!
It allows you to hide no matter where you are, it allows you advantage on all attack rolls and enemies disadvantage on all their attack rolls, it renders you immune to 'you must see target' sorts of spells and effects (Which is a LOT of spells) and it means you can do shit without people knowing what you're doing.

Saying that it should also make the creature completely impossible to detect without taking an action to use perception to see it every time is goes invisible is fucking ridiculous. Why don't we all become mages and use invisibility, then?

>It's good to always have as a fall back, but don't use it every round. Spamming Eldritch Blast is sub-optimal.
hahaha
>Using your limited slots in blasting and not utility
>When you have best blasting
HAHAHAH

>Spamming eldritch blast is suboptimal, it's fallback, implies you don't need repelling blast
Still shit/10.
>Magic initiate for hex or warcaster or resilient
Moderately armoured is better.

What's something a cool high elf martial character can do with their free cantrip?

shilelag

-How to Play a Warlock Effectively-
1.Use spell point rules in the DMG

What are some cool Fey style rewards i can give my players? They are level 3.

>trying to minmax this hard, magic items and all
>but rolling for stats
????
dude just kill yourself

>Take spells and cantrips that allow for varied effects and out-of-combat utility

lrn2read

Booming blade / green flame blade (depending on what martial you are)

One of the elemental evil cantrips, mold earth / water / whatever.

Mage hand just for utility instead of a ten-foot-pole.

Minor illusion for whatever you can think of.

Overall it's not very strong, but eh.

You're right.

As a completely unrelated sidenote, why are people so resistant to helping others on the Internet, but so eager to correct? People squabbled for 25 minutes about a rule, unwilling to just state the truth of it, so I came in to clarify, and not 25 minutes but 2 minutes later someone corrects my very brief off-hand remark due to the technical differences between two similar words. You would think if this person cared so much about the accuracy of rule explanations, they would've answered before me without slipping up like I did.

Shots fired at Chris Perkins.

I'm new to 5e and I want to make sure I understand something correctly. Can you cast spells like Vampiric Touch and Inflict Wounds through other spells like the weapon from Spiritual Weapon and the familiar from Find Familiar?

>>When you have best blasting
Best blasting cantrip maybe, not the best blasting spell by a longshot

They're in the Hunting Lodge, right in the hall after the entrance. There's actually 3, now that I checked.

This central hallway has stairs, large wooden doors, and a set of fine plate armor. Flanking the main entrance are two freestanding suits of elven plate armor, both coated in chipped green paint. Man-sized demonic statues stand near the base of the stairs.

You missed my point. Some user (You?) said that if the creature goes invisible and moves away you should still get an attack of opportunity because "it fades out as it moves away". What I'm saying is that if the creature turned invisible, you CAN'T take an opportunity attack, because that requires you being able to see the target.

A loveable fey hireling that provides minor debuffs in combat but is mostly there for advice/chitchat

Misty Step once per long rest.

A weapon or piece of armor that's abnormally light. Perhap armor that can be worn without proficiency or a non-light/non-finesse weapon that now has one of those properties.

An elf girl (male) bed warmer.

>>sells for 25,000-150,000 GP
>Sounds legit.
That's why you don't sell very rare or above for money but for favors.

Are you really that desprit?

>Can you cast spells like Vampiric Touch and Inflict Wounds through other spells
>like the weapon from Spiritual Weapon
No.
>the familiar from Find Familiar
Inflict Wounds yes, Vampiric Touch no. Has to have a range of Touch, the latter has range of Self.

By this logic misty step is the best method of moving around, unless you're thinking of a 'best blasting spell' being one that gives you an action attack such as call lightning.

>Attack of opportunity
Never mentioned that.
It's said to fade out over the course of its turn, and the fact you're not allowed to sneak attack it may be that it creates an afterimage as part of its fading out that means by the time you see it moving away, it's too late to do attack it but you can see it fading out in the direction of its motion.

I'm doing what I think a good DM should do - Following the rules unless there's really some houserule that needs to be put in, and giving a good explanation for what's then happening. Sure, if the creature turns invisible 120ft away and doesn't hide and moves 30ft closer to the party, the party might not notice it unless they have outstanding passive perception, and the rules don't say that, but it's not like it's as big of a thing as 'Okay, the wisp says fuck you and disappears, you can't even attempt to attack it now. You've zero idea of where it is, you couldn't even try to light it up with faerie fire."

Glamoured Evening Gown that is actually breast plate armor
Driftglobe filled with fireflies
Ornate Headband with Antlers that casts Faerie Fire once per day
A horn that summons a hart when blown, can be used as a mount for up to 4 hours per day

Fuck yes, I want that goddamn dragon gone. He keeps stealing all my good potions. Get rid of him and get the timestop scroll.

I'd say roll intelligence or wisdom to take an educated guess of where the creature might be

Nonsense. Fireball always hit the spot.

ANd the entire party

I'm playing a rogue mostly gonna use my longbow

Come on, I know they're in the other thread by try to follow the line of posts. Initially I wondered how PCs would know where an invisible will-o'-wisp moved, but then some user said this: , which is absolutely not true, since you can't opportunity attack something invisible. That was my whole gripe with that post.

Now, about the initial question and the solution you're providing, I'm inclined to agree with you. What I'd probably do, if the will-o'-wisp hadn't taken an action to hide, was ask the party for perception checks (no action required) to pinpoint the creature's new location, though they'd have a general idea if it was within 30ft or so. On the other hand, if the Hide action was used, then the party would need to take the Search action.

>Be me, forever DM playing 5e homebrew on roll20 with strangers so I get to be a player.
>Game alright, my character gets downed 9/10 encounters, no magic items, somehow survive to level 5.
>BBEG high level warlock uses mass suggestion every fight to turn ally PCs into mind controlled turncoats for 24h with only initial wisdom save.
>PC Barb kills downed PC.
>run away from PC Barb the entire fight
>down the Barb
>revive him
>He's still 'mind controlled'
>Down him again

I personally hate spells that take away player agency but this is ridiculous. How do I explain to the DM that this is ridiculous without rule lawyering?

They should know better. I'm the son of the dragon.

Casually drop how mind control is a general staple of every bad B-movie plot.

why isnt discord in the op?

> If you or any of your companions damage a creature affected by this spell, the spell ends for that creature.

its in the spell

Huh, there's a Discord? I wouldn't mind joining that, I guess.

>Mass Suggestion
>The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the course of action sound reasonable.
Why does everyone fucking forgets about this? Does the DM actually makes up reasonable arguments as to why the Bard should be attacking his friends?
Alternatively, go out of your way to avoid the charm. Get someone to Counterspell that shit. Dispel Magic also works and almost every caster can get it.

tfw Berserker bard would have actually been the best choice for this campaign

It's not all that great

>working on campaign
>player in the current campaign
>no other groups to DM for
:(

>Let us not bring that meme back
That's a meme?

Has to be better than the dead Veeky Forums SFF Discord.

The enemy casted it on the party so the DM interprets it as, as long as she or her minions dont hurt the affected then it wil be a free dominate person spell for 24h with no saves.

I agree with all points made. I actually took dispel magic and the wizard has counter spell but we were tapped out at the start of the fight when BBEG magically pops in.

The Barb is totem bard so he not immune to charm sadly ,as the DM has a boner for taking PC control away.

I went and did it fa/tg/uys, I have come to the inevitable, and have begun running a "Curse of Strahd: Dead and Loving it!" campaign

Every one is a charicature . The wereravens are Amish, lady Wachter a horny old lady, the abbot has an elaborate musical number.

And *everyone* wants to bang Strahd Vin Ziggy Stardust.

What else am I going to do?

It was when Death House came out. People argued for several threads about those fucking sets of plate.
>hur PCs can get plate at level 1
>dur anything in the house corrodes and becomes useless after being taken out

youtube.com/watch?v=Z4UdK0lBafM

Copy this scene word for word.

>Dead and Loving it
That sounds simply amazing. Can I join?

Cast Light on a stick and snap it in half. Is the light on one, both, or neither?

You broke it so neither.

Play "Dracula's Lament" from Forgetting Sarah Marshall "

Doesn't light just operate like an infinitesimally small lightbulb? Like, it's just a point of light stuck to something. So whichever side had the point before the snap.

It's been so far. My players just refuse to get up from the table four hours in

Kind of an IRL game between RL friends only tho, sorry user

>Roll up a monk after your current character dies.
>Run up to warlock and stun his ass.
>He loses concentration.
>Mind controll Spell on your party ends.
>Tie him up and gag him so the party can gang rape him.
>Enjoy as your DM cries bitch tears.

So, whoever is maintaining the astranauta 5etools, could you please add the Inquisitor background from PSI and the Pyromancer sorcerous origin from PSK? It feels kind of odd not having them when the races are available.

Would you put Kobold Sauce on your meals, /5eg/?

Sauce made by Kobolds or Sauce made up of Kobolds?

yes.

Buy silver

Mass Suggestion does not require concentration, unfortunately. The only way to break it is Dispel Magic, something that ends charms like Greater Restoration, or getting the caster or their allies to hurt the charmed targets.

That's odd. I think I got plate armor from rise of tiamat level 1. It's after fighting through the kobolds to reach the keep, that you could request the governor to "loan" the armor.

I always assumed plate at lvl 1 after that game was the norm.

And if it's made with Kobolds are they draconic kobolds or dog kobolds?

Do you want a spicy or barbecue flavor on your meal?

yes.

Nope that's largely a 3.x era level of stupidity and to a lesser degree 4e.

5e is trying to model the look and feel of AD&D without all the wonky rules

Your DM was very generous. I doubt Greenest should have even a single set of plate armor, it's a fucking country-side village for fuck's sake. While the adventure does say the governor will supply the party with anything available they might need, that should mean Splint at most. Especially considering the place is being raided and looted of almost everything they have.

>You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light.

That suggests to me the entire object is coated in light.

>one object
There's your answer. If you break it, it becomes two objects, thus either breaking the spell or transferring the light to one of the pieces. I'd let the caster choose which happens.

>Glamoured Evening Gown that is actually breast plate armor
BOOBPLATE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm surprised classes haven't been reduced to 10 levels by now with multiclassing being the only way to go from 11 to 20.

My Walock's armor of shadows is literally a bibibidibobidiboop gown dress

What would you rate the following magic item? What tweak would bring it down/up to Rare?

Ghost Gloves (Requires Attunement)
These thick gloves have light engravings that depict several agonized specters and aberrations. While wearing these gloves unarmed strikes are considered magical, and they have +1 to attack, and deal 1d8 bludgeoning damage. Additionally attuning to these gloves increases the range of unarmed strikes by 5 feet. When using the gloves to strike a distant target it projects wispy images a ghost and eerie wailing sounds.

At least rare probably very rare considering Monks don't even get unarmed damage of d8s until 12th level and various other parts of it are pretty significant effects.

They are already stupid powerful.

Remove the reach property, add a "you can interact with the ethereal plane" property and keep the damage at 1d4 psychic or necrotic