Mages Guild: Open Enrolment Edition

Hear ye, hear ye. I hereby call to order this meeting of the most illustrious Mages Guild! The doors to our great guild are always open to scholars, casters, and the most inventive mages. But! For those with little knowledge of their own, I bring great news! In roughly four months time the new academic year will begin, meaning as of this day the enrollment for places in our various arcane schools has now opened! Be you young or old, as long as you've got the will to learn and the perseverance to survive grueling assignments and examinations, you're welcome to join!

Those already in a department, try to sell your craft and arcane might to potential students! Make your magic flashy and appealing, unless you don't want any new students, at which point why the hells are you even in this meeting.
Those looking to join a class, ask plenty of questions to department members and try to get a feel for what studying such magic would entail. Where will it lead you in later life? How useful will it be for daily use? Can you easily kill bandits and assassins with the spells it provides?

Now I know that quite a few of you are just going to mope around in the corners of the room and 'act' like you're joining in, but this isn't the thieve's guild. Silent loiterers will be ejected via force missiles. This is the great magic show and tell people! Get to it!

Welcome to the Mages' Guild. Pick a name and join in! Conflicts are resolved with d20s when needed, or with playing it out. When the thread dies on Veeky Forums, we keep it going on archived.moe. For additional resources, please visit 1d4chan.org/wiki/Mage's_guild or collabedit.com/6fvae

You know, I could say something, but we all know that necromancy will be stuffed to bursting with edgy kids no matter what.

I'd be delighted to see new faces in the Aeromancy department. As well as anyone who desires to learn the act of flying, aeromancer or broom flyer alike!

Heyheyhey. I got quite a few applications here.
>Drops them all onto a desk.
Maybe you find a few good ones.

I got a few hundred applications here for you guys alone. Should have droppped them off at the front desk.

Be positive! At least you´re going to have lots of spares!

Sign up for the Magical Girls Department, no magic talent needed. Only some danger, and almost guaranteed embarrassment and you can wield amazing magical powers!

Also, magic talking rock jewelry.

...I'm not the head of the department, so leave them in front of Lazarus's door.

Let's see. You can heal yourself if anyone from another department tries to hurt you, and you can retaliate by having giant boulders chase them down.

What's not to like?

>A much larger Harpy drops off a slightly bigger stack of papers.
This should be the last of them.
You think anyone would be interested in mail magic while we're here?

That only happens when I experiment, though I suppose that is a boon.
Also, you guys can build stuff with magic, so that's cool.

>Nona tilts her head towards you
You can heal yourself with rocks?

At least you know that you will always have an influx of students!

You don´t want to take a bit of his workload of his shoulders? Fiiine~.

Maybe? Enchanted Letters are fun. How are we supposed to teach them though? Can´t they all not write already, Sis?

Doesdoesdoes common stuff have fewer people willing to learn?

You're always experimenting, though.

>Laughs

You would be surprised by some of the ways some magic can be used. I hear someone used Aeromancy to dig in order to win a bet once.
Well, how else am I going to learn things?

Common stuff? Such as Mail Delivery?
Im certain there might be a few newcommers out there that would be interested in it!

I would not doubt that in the slightest!
I once knew an Aeromancer who used their abilities to swim competatively

No, most should be able to.
>She looks around the room.

Hey, you.
>A large black harpy walks up to you, her feet clicking on the floor.
Can you write?

>Stares at all the new redrobes walking in

That's very true, we are a department of construction as well.

Not exactly, but geomancy is more than just flinging a few pebbles!

Can I write?
Why of course! Why do you ask?

Doss, you might want to take a nicer approach to acquiring new members!

I would have never said it was just flinging pebbles!
I just never knew it could heal you!

What´s so funny?
>Hands him a few applications for private tutoring from the pile. Gonna look for your boss´ room then.

Iii meant flight! The stuff you´re teaching!
>Hopes she didn´t offend you.
Should be more widespread. Flying is fun!

Sis!
>Cracks up and pulls out several pens and pieces of paper.

Hah! Did he win?
Has your department done any big projects lately? Any castle or city building happening? I mean with Geomancy you guys could make a city out of nothing right?

>Offers rides on his Storncloud to passing applicants.
I hope you all find a good department to stay in here.
>Behind him is really bad weather.

Oh, he loves work.

Maybe the ones who ask you to do crazy experiments aren't the best ones to be experimenting with?

Flight?
It should be more widespread, considering its usefulness!
And thats why I have open classes for anyone to join!

He beat a handful of competators!
But the winner of the race was a hydromancer
>she shrugs
Go figure right?

Just checking. We weren't sure.

What? Is something wrong?
Turns out most probably do know how to write. Shouldn't be too hard to teach them, if they wanted.

...This is gonna sound like a long shot.
But is anyone interested in the trade of arcane repairs?

You might want to try taking a nicer approach to shutting your corn hole, birdy boy. I don't need recruits, I was staring deep into the bowel of their corneas, wondering to my self.
"Did I turn the oven off?"

I do need a few students, there aren't many passing the enterence exam. Which is really nothing more than a personality test. I need to stop of the perverts and their gender potions and other creepy shit. But anyway here is my pitch.
Alchemy is an excellent choice as a school; particularly with me as a teacher. First things first you will absolutely not have to deal with all of those perverted fools that plague our study, secondly my class is designed to facilitate a greater understanding for magic as a whole, and thirdly the lab is the safest place in the world to practice and learn the craft of Alchemy as safeguards are in place that prevent 99.999% of possible harm from mishaps.

Are most instructors you meet unable to write?

>realizes I forgot an image with my first post
Birdy Boy?
>she scoffs and turns away from you

I'm sure they will, some of them might end up with me!
Are you suggesting I do testing on people who doesn't volunteer? That's highly unethical and I bet you will never mange to catch me doing something like that.
Well in the water an Aeromancer is a bit out of their element.
Must me nice to be popular enough to make requirements for joining. How is alchemy doing these days?

I learned it immedialy after I hatched. Got dropped of the cliff! Fun times! Couldcouldcould drag a few latebloomers over here though.

And you don´t? Considering you don´t want too.
>Has elivered the applications already.

Nonono. Just found it funny how you asked the first person you saw. You aren´t normally that outgoing Sis.
>Is definitely not jealous.

Forgot name.

My niece could probably point to at least four incidents in the last hour.

I do, it's just a bitch to do it. Undead are fairly stupid, you see.

Hello Professor Samantha! I'm looking to start soon enough and I was wondering what types of internships and patronages wizards who graduate your courses tend to come away with?

Oh also who are some notable alumni?

Oops.

Professor Doomblight, I have a basis of knowledge in Geomancy and I was wondering how much could translate to your courses? The necromatic sciences have always interested me and who doesn't want a subservient semi-sentient creature to help with projects?

What else can you tell me that might sway me to your courses over Samantha's Geomancy courses?

He. If the experiments don´t turn them off. One of the reasons I don´t teach. That and I never show up in the department I belong to in name only. Still have the research papers on your Source stuff...

Here. Goddammit.

He did have the genius idea of jetstream propulsions applied to a balanced body. Using his arms as a guide. It was quite impressive to say the least!

Considering a member of your.. nature. I could rightfully assume thats how one is trained to fly at a young age.

Exactly!

Nice to see you out of the cloud, WIlhelm!

Well, first and foremost, how do you feel about undead hordes?

No, though I haven't bothered asking. I just deliver letters.
>Her claws tap impatiently on the floor.
I simply wasn't sure if most apprentices here would be interested in mail magic at all. If they couldn't write, though, it wouldn't be possible to learn.
I suppose that's a better question. Will most apprentices coming in know how to write?

We needed to know the answer to something, so I asked. Nothing special.

>Examines you closely.
You´re still alive though...
>Claps a wing in front of her mouth.
Sorry, didn´t want to assume!

Maybe you should choose a less androgynous hair style!

They make me fucking hard.

Well Nu'udro, most of the geomancers that graduate from the guild and don't stay on in an advisory role seem to go into contract labor. Building and repairing stone buildings, road paving, the greenthumbs tend to be more into landscaping and arboreal work.

Of course, with the many kingdoms that all need competent engineers, if you come with the proper recommendations I expect you'll have your pick!

No, I have undead do my paperwork.

Well, there you have it, necromancers make undead.

It´s been nice in there so far. Suzie doesn´t agree though!
>The stormcloud growls.

Maybe, but I bet you can't.
Well I know Samantha is the head of the department, smart girl, probably the youngest Department Head in the Guild. I don't know many other Geomancers.
Oh? Did you have time to read them or do you use them as bedding and fire starter?
Yes, it was certainly impressive, but I imagine the competition left him washed up on the shore.

Can I join you guys?

So that's your pitch? I get to make undead?

Awesome, that sounds truly inspiring. Can you tell me some of your favorite (or least favorite) experiences with Geomancy?

I would hope that most would know how to write before trying to join. At the very least, most know how to read!

Androgynous? I dont know many a male with hair like mine Doss. But My hairstyle supports my aerodynamics!

You do seem quite content anytime i've passed you in the air!

Indeed they did. But 2nd place in a swimming competition isnt too bad of a title when facing a hydromancer!

Of course, grab a seat and sit down. Things might be a bit chaotic but that's what makes it fun.
Well, I bet he thought it would be a breeze before that hydromancer sunk his hopes.

Wellwellwell... Sis thaught me! Her teaching still was kinda different from everyone elses though.
>Rubs her behind.
That how I first meet my Sis!

Ohohoh. That makes sense, I quess.

So you just delegate to everyone else. Past experience in management?

Of course. It's kind of why we have this going on.

What kind of magic are you looking to get into?

...Well, it might irk Doomblight a bit, but possibly the thing I did that made me appreciate this branch of magic was how I kept reburying animated skeletons.

Of course this was several years ago when the whole idea of magic was...very much new to me. But it just goes to show that there's a lot of upward growth potential here.

Well, it's why our department is the largest.

Yes, matter of fact.

Reinforce's device.

I somehow ended up trying to teach Suzie how to talk with them. Still do.
>Suzie can speak, just doesn´t do it in front of him.

You have to enjoy what you love! Weather is all about experiencing it! And flying brings you closer.

Good.
I can't say I like advertising much, though.
>She fluffs out some of her feathers before rearranging them comfortably back down.
So if you hear of anyone interested in mail magic, send me a letter.

Yes.
>Torrey looks to the window.
Should we be going? There are still more deliveries to make.

Aerodynamics? Explains the flat chest

Oh, you meant Alchemy in general. The basics of Alchemy aren't particularly hard to understand expecially when compared to some of the more complex magics. However, what really sets Alchemy apart is the shear variety of stuff you can make with it; think of an effect whatever it is Alchemy can replicate it. Everyone has their signature style to do things with it which makes the potion market very competitive and easy to get into, so you'll probably be selling your creations to consumers to make a profit to fund the creation of your increasingly complex experiments and creations. Alchemical creations such as the biomechacoons here are an example of what you'll be making as helpers, at least when you are a master of Alchemy like me. To an Alchemist assassins and bandits are no threat as long as you prepare for when you are attacked by them. Whether it be a potion of detect creature, an explosive, a teleportation potion or whatever else you can create. Any bandit who tries to rob you or assassin who tries to kill you will be sorry.

are you sure? the furniture is giving me dirty looks

I want to blow things up with my mind.

I think those numbers are a bit artificially inflated by people who chose undeath over the after life to continue their studies.

Sounds awesome, thank you for taking the time to answer questions and interact with your students. It shows you care about them and is a very approachable attitude.

What sort of projects do we have going on right now that I'll be working on when courses start?

He was always an ambitious aeromancer!

Your sis?
Would that be the other mail deliverer?
>pointing over to her

>she scratches at the back of her head
Are you able to predict the weather at all?

I most certainly will!

>she gasps
Doss!
How inappropriate!

>Struggles to heal that massive burn she received
this might be beyond my abilities

The requirements are a necessity otherwise incidents like what happened with the potions of genderbending a few months ago would happen all the time.

Hmm. Probably pyromancy or psionics, though I don't know if we have a rep for the latter around.

Well the projects going on now are very different from where you'd start. Depending on your entrance exam scores it could be anywhere from two to eight weeks before we start practical lessons.

>Just stares at you and cracks up again.
Sorrysorrysorry. Well, I hope you manage the new school year too. Bye~
>Flies off towards her Sister.

Okay~ Where are we flying next? Please don´t drop me off another cliff.

Yesyesyes. Best sister in the world!

Then you've clearly not seen the flowchart for organizing the dorms.

>Confused wave

Ugh... Is it really THAT time of the year again? Dammit... Looks like I'll have to go get my tanning oil and shorts...

>Pulls off shirt, and tosses it to the wind...

Now then... The exotic, and highly "exciting" field of "Sex'omancy", is ready to accept newcomers of all kinds!

Her owner provided the consent, her curremt abilities to communicate left her unable to do so on her own.
Alright, who's Suzie?
It was probably made only to recognise whoever made it, but don't worry about it. That, or it's someone transmorphed into the shape of a chair as punishment for causing trouble. Either way, don't worry about it.
Huh... alright then. Guess my puns flew way over your head.

....that's a thing?

pyromancy?
>he makes a face

Oh that's a shame. My father has been having me make his mine shafts for years! I'd figured that we'd at least be building land bridges before the third week.

Hey bud, I've got your back covered. Just stick with me. I hear there's gonna be a party for the new entries at the end of the night if you're interested,

Grow a backbone, sissy!

You're very lucky my niece is not here.

I suppose that is one argument.

Depends on my mood and how accurate you want it to be.
>Feeds Suzie an apple.
And on how much I like you. I can after all change the weather after I made an forecast.

It´s going to be sunny the next few days... Unless you want me to change it?

>Points at his Stormcloud.
Don´t tell me you forgot. It´s her.
>The cloud emits a few lightning bolts.

>the burn is real
She seems to be quite the sister indeed
Puns?
Were you making jokes?
I have a backbone! I'm just not in the mood to be insulted Doss!

Undead (aside from the fully sentient kind) don't count towards the size of the department the council has stated this multiple times. If you include them in the population of your department for the purpose of getting more funding then you shall get none.

Psionics it is then. Unless you're really into art and magic that's REALLY out of left field.

...actually, I should probably check and make sure she's here.

Oh really? Mine shafts are delicate work, what with the air return needing to be clear but at the same time as thin as possible to maximize the dig space.

How have you been working out the math of it all?

>He'd begin striking poses as tanning lotion is magically applied.

Of course it is! It's one of the oldest schools of "Sexy Magic"! Right next too "A'sex'trology", and "En'chaffing"!

Thank you.
My name is Torrey, by the way. Just address a letter to me, no destination needed. It'll find me.

Don't be silly, I wouldn't dream of it.
>She smiles a little, maybe plotting something.
Areis, then Wallencia. We'll get to fly over the Firepeaks on the way.
Ready to go?

I don't want to sit on it.....

>Nods and sticks to your side
i'm Jeff.

who's here? magic and art? what are you talking about?

>his eyes widen
>Pic related

No man, nor woman, should have to go without knowing the limitless power that comes from a mastery of "Sex'omancy"!

Uhhh? Math? HAHAHA...err right. Tons of it. Loads of it. Totally not just going by the old dwarven texts and following instinct.

When I'm working with the land it seems to speak to me and through me in my work. It shapes what I do a little bit to be quite honest with ya. Plus I'd like to boast that me family has been making some of the finest mines for 18 generations!

>Nods in approval.
Shesheshe is!
>Waves and flies off.

Ready when you are Sis!
>Is already in starting position.

I'm not!

I'm not even going to try dealing with you right now.

You guys are still around? I thought you all joined the Bards College. Or was it the other way around?
The thing with mages is this, given enough time anything will be a thing.
It's the kind of argument that keeps me in business. I'll do what I can get away with.
Oh, right. Sorry I have a terrible memory sometimes. Not sure I can make any devices for her.
A few, mostly air and water ones, though they clearly flew over your head. Wait, I already used that one... oh well, that's what happens when you have your head in the clouds.

I though that you and your magic were banned from the guild for numerous instances of your students and magical girls.

No no! I would prefer it to be sunny!
I have a class in a few days and was wondering the predictions!
Torrey. I will remember it!
>waves
Goodbye!

this place is amazing! and horrifying!

I'm Nu'udro. How much magic have you worked before lad?

Can we do something about that flamboyant one? Like you sick a few ghouls and I trap them in a dome of clay?

>the ghostly girl crawls out of the floor

Why are we trying to recruit? Or are we just trying to push our departments?

You seem interested in learning the almighty, and godlike power of---
>He'd do a spin, before sirkinga rather sensual pose.

"Sex'omancy"!

>He'd begin moonwalking at this point.

Perhaps you'd be interested in signing up for classes? I can assure you, it's far less dangerous than most of the other classes taught at the guild.

Unless you find tanning lotion, and always looking... Sexy... To be dangerous?

Now, now... It´s no problem. We all forget stuff from time to time.
>Looks at Suzie.
Suzie with a device though? If she wants to and it´s possible for stormclouds, then it´s fine.

Tell me the date and time and it´s going to be sunny then. We are actually supposed to get a tornado in a few days, so I need to plan a bit.

If so, then that must have been before my time. I don't remember them ever mingling with my girls.
I know! Isn't it great?
Because we rely on recruitment to keep our member count rising. Most people don't raise families here. I mean, some do, but we're the exception rather than the rule as far as I can tell.

All right. Let's go, then.
>She makes sure her mailbag is securely closed and on, then takes off with a powerful push from her legs and a great swoop of her wings.

>Torrey nods, then speeds out the window, having to fold her 10-foot wingspan in and free-fall for a moment to fit through.

>His abs would shine with the light of the gids themselves as he speaks.
>That... Or it's all the tanning lotion on him? You're not really sure.

My friend, Bards learn how to be sensual, and sexy, from us. They merely try to pass it off as their own thing.

>He'd begin striking more poses.

Our order is as old as the stars themselves!

I'm talking about Ritual magic. It's not practiced often here, mostly because it can be time consuming.

Also I think our Guild's chief ritualist might be busy.

I see. Well, I'd certainly be willing to give you the exam and based on those I may decide to give you an...accelerated introduction. After all, if you know most of it, why take the time to repeat it, right?

Now Im pretty sure youre just making fun of me!
Quin Bradley!
Thank you Wilhelm!
It would be on Thursday!
Precisely 4 hours after noon!
>waving at Torrey

I'm sorry, it's all these skeletons.
I hate skeletons.
You should to

I can do a little black magic...
>does a thumb trick

Not at all! where do I sign up?

>he makes a face
that sounds lame as fuck. what kind of loser would want to become a ritualist?

Again. The bards that fling themselves in droves at our school was at fault for this. As of last year, all such uses of Sex'omancy under such pretenses, us punishable by "desexification". Or being turned irreparablly ugly!

I doubt that would work.

It's the whole "if it's possible" that I'm unsure of, I'll be sure to ask for interest if I come up with some way to do it though. I'm always interested in trying new ideas.
>looks confused
Right... are you trying to seduce me or something. Or is posing and showing your abs like that something you always do?
I was trying to do that for a while, but I obviously failed.