My firrst game of MTG

Hey guys played my first game of MTG commander today, and it wasnt very fun desu.

What happened is my buddy has been bugging to me try the game out, and I decide to take him up on it. It was recommended that I play commander as they say thats the easier format.

So he let me play his his mono black commander deck. While he played a white/blue protection from black deck.

My turns consised of me untapping my land, drawing a card, then passing my turn because I couldnt do anything.

Is this the way MTG normally plays out? If so then why is it so popular?

Or was my first time experience not the norm?

your friend sounds like an asshole

get gud

Either you got shitty mulligans, or your friend gave you a shitty deck. If you have the decklist someone could probably tell you which it was.

He had artifact creatures that I couldnt destroy, due to them having protection from black, and my spells didnt work because they said they dont work on artifact creatures.

How do I?

>So he let me play his his mono black commander deck. While he played a white/blue protection from black deck.
Your friend is a twat. Go to your local game store and ask some random nerds between rounds if they could teach you how to play.

As much as i agree edh is the best format, I think it's better for you to start off with standard and limited to get a feel of the game, especially limited. Limited is basically either draft or sealed, where you and a group of 7+ people at a gaming store open up packs and use cards ONLY from those packs(they, the local gaming stores(lgs) provide land tho, if your wondering) and play each other in a traditional tournament style. Then standard is building decks from the last 5-8 sets, right now we can use battle for zendikar, oath of gatewatch, shadow over innistrad, Eldritch moon, kaladesh, and aether revolt. The only problem with standard right now is that it's got like 2 top decks that beat the fuck out of everyone, so unless you got a casual crwod avoid tourney, or just play with friends. But if your friend tries to play against you in standard and pulls out shit in mardu(red, white, and black) colors tell him to kill himself, cause he's basically doing the same thing he did to you with the commander scenario. Or if he plays a card called saheeli rai or felidar guardian. After understanding the normal way to play magic then you can transition to the fun free for all edh. Btw edh/commander is the same thing and is really meant to be played in groups of 3 or more, much more fun that way, if anyone tells you different, you know the magic words you should respond with, 'Kill yourself'

>white and blue
>artifact creatures

Sounds like he played the most cunty and annoying deck possible. Go find someone who plays red aggro, or green decks with tons of lands.

Oh, and get new friends.

Thanks for the advice. Any tips for drafting a deck?

no since most commander games are played with pods of 4
color hate ushuly dosen't exist
your friend sounds like a faggot

Commander is a format for people who already understand how to play.

Your "friend" revealed that he's in fact an asshole. Find better friends.

>mtg cherry
>plays mono B vs UW artifacts
>1v1 EDH

Your friend is actually trying to scare you away from this game. Overtly I might add.

Unpopular opinion: Commander / EDH is unpleasant.

Play limited (there's a prerelease coming up) and then transition into either Modern or Legacy.

Sounds like he made a deck just so he could beat it with a deck specially tailored to beat it.
Your friend is a dickhead and probably doesn't win much against regular opponents.
In other terms, he let you borrow his shoes for a race against him, but put glue on the bottom, to make you slow down and trip. You never had a chance because he set you up to fail.

Although if you do start playing, don't expect to never be in the situation where you can't do anything. Control is still around, especially if you end up in the cesspit of modern.

>especially if you end up in the cesspit of modern.
are you implying that control is a popular archetype in modern? Because that is not the case. Aggro decks, combo and midrange are what you see most in modern. Unless your local meta is kinda special.

Control is still around, especially if you end up in the cesspit of legacy.
ftfy

It's not that it's overwhelming, it's just that it's more prevalent, at least in my local meta. Most people who play standard are buying into creatures:the tappening, I can't really comment on EDH though, since I rarely play it.
If the guy ends up in legacy, there's no hope of return anyway, so let him be lost.

>control in modern
Lol wat? The fact that Tron is the "control deck" of the format speaks volumes

OP, your friend is an asshole. Worse he is also a scrub. Either is tolerable depending on circumstances, but together you get someone who purposely sabotages his "friends" fun. Yes control does exist, but you were fucked from the get-go. Show your buddy this thread so he can pull his head out of his ass

If your local meta is infested with control, try sleeving up Tron.

Legacy is objectively the best format

>reserve list
>miracles
>best format
wew lad

Tron IS modern control

Sorry you're poor user, but that's no excuse to be a pleb. If you must have shit taste, then stay in the modern thread

Just because it's the closest thing to control does not make it control.

It does when its the format's cornerstone control deck

Usually when someone says control, they mean something like grixis.

If your meta is infested with Tron, try linear aggro or combo.

You're free to stay in the legacy containment thread.

Thanks for 2 you's

Grixis is a colour combination, not and archetype. Unless you're saying Grixis Death Shadow is control

And you seem awfully butt-hurt about the fact that people can actually afford to play multiple formats. Legacy dredge and stax, modern tron burn and junk, pauper dredge (now that drake is banned), Karn Atraxia and Bolas EDH. Frontier Abzan. Fuck standard. Shit i think my tiny leader deck is still around here somewhere. Stay mad poorfag and keep making bad life decisions

Ladies and gentlemen, I present Autism: The Post.

It's not a control deck. It can't be the cornerstone control deck if it isn't one to begin with.

Just stopped by to let you know playing MtG is a bad life decision so try not being an autistic hypocrite thanks :^)

> is this new pasta?

OP your friend messed up. The decks were not balanced.

I can get even more autistic and start green-texting if you want

It is a control in modern. Thats why the modern meta is so fucked right now. If burn is tier 1 in a format then the format itself is flawed.

Thanks tumblr. Its almost as if hobbies are meant to be money sinks, and are inherently bad financial decisions if you don't have disposable income. But when you don't live paycheck2paycheck, it's pretty easy to spend a couple of hundred on some fun

Nahiri Control is the closest thing modern has to control.

What in your local meta counts as control? Fairies?

It's true. In legacy threads they have so few people the whole thing gets tripfagged. It's the hangout place for like eight players too toxic for regular human conversation except the DDTF guy he's alright

>first game of magic ever
>commander

i see the problem

Is commander that bad?

Edh is a casual format, plays by a different set of rules and procedures, is much more about table politics, and straight-up teaches you the game wrong. But just cause it's a bad format doesn't mean it's still not fun. Just for people who already know how to play