sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/

If I'm a High Elf with booming blade cantrip...

Which rogue archetype is the most fun?

>asking /5eg/ about fun
wew lad

Druids
are
GHEY!

New thread question:
>How do you handle magical items and magical item progression?

Thief is most fun in my opinion and Elves being able to leap 8+ feet in the air seems like something they should be doing.

Arcane Trickster's probably the most powerful but I'm not a huge fan of them.

this is correct. thank you user

>DM gave the fighter a bow that lets them shoot 3 arrows every time they fire it
I wish my DM thought about balance sometimes

>fun

You mean "mechanically effective" right? I'm assuming that because anything else will suck and you won't have much fun being a loser Rogue who can't sneak or kill or bluff.

Swashbuckler works best.
Move up into melee, booming blade, move out of melee.

You could also do assassin but you'd have to take the mobile feat, and arcane trickster gives you what you already have.

My thoughts were that they would leave the majority of their gear in the inn or at camp. Pay people to watch it so it won't be stolen. And they have to decide what to bring when they do leave town. I want the mundane items like rope and oil and torches to have value, as certain puzzles will be significantly harder if they choose to leave the pitons or rope at home. Also I want to make getting treasure out of the dungeon be a puzzle of its own. I'm also thinking fairly low magic or a sword and sorcery type campaign.

>DMs who think it's perfectly fine if a weapon does +2d6 damage on hit or whatever when a fighter can attack maybe 9 times in a round at level 13

>Most fun
>Swashbuckler works best

Did you not read his post?

this is the only correct answer.

>tfw you have zero ability to RP voices without it being cringy as fuck

What do you guys prefer? Battle campaigns, Roleplay campaigns, or half and half?

I prefer Roleplay, if only because I enjoy getting into a character and finding out more about them through their interactions with the world.

I can beat that
>player is a telepath that can influence people
>DM give PC plus 20 on all charisma rolls on top of what he already had
>ask him why he didn't make it a cantrip with a chance to fail
>he says because his character can't fail at influencing people
>my character had expertise in persuation

>Most fun
Okay, the most fun would be [something useless] because you do jack fucking shit
Have fun being useless

It's either swashbuckler or you take mobility to be like swashbuckler, and in any case you're a mobile runs-everywhere rogue. Swashbuckler's later ability gives stuff like at-will taunt/charm though.

just act.
even if you're acting is shit they can tell by you're physical acting that you're RPing.

holy sh*t highlander owns

Holy fuck how used to 4e is your DM?
+20 is ridiculous. You can roll 40, where 30 is 'impossible'. They made that character practically a god.

roleplay everytime but I mostly DM and people can't stand anything other than half and half

my PC's will be in a town and after 1 hour of roll play they are begging for a quest from some random villager to kill some imps that are fucking with their livestock.

as a PC i wouldn't mind if we don't 2 full sessions of roleplay without combat

I was the same, but after a session via roll20, I discovered my players liked it. It was Campy.

Half and half.

D&D has always said the combat is a key part of the game. Doesn't mean you should go back to dungeon crawling only though.

Sometimes a session will be nothing but roleplay, a dungeon crawl or combats but a game doesn't feel right if it only does one.

>Swashbuckler can sneak attack easier in melee and have ADV on charisma checks

Oh, I see. Therefore every other Rogue build is completely fucking worthless even though they all have the same average damage, same skills and same class features.

I lied he wasn't a telepath btw
he was a homebrew jedi in a high fantasy setting in around the medieval period

should have dropped out way before jedi rolled around not sure if it should have been when I heard medieval or when I heard high fantasy. both are equally as bland.

historical fantasy in 14-16 century or go the fuck home.

Champion Fighter 11/Swashbuckler Rogue 9.

or

Champion Fighter 5 /Swashbuckler Rogue 15.

Why is this a bad idea?

Arcane Trickster gives you the most options.

Plus for all the people crying for Swashbuckler, have you considered that Ranged Is Better and that just because you have Booming Blade you shouldn't use it as your main attack method when it's unsafe to do so? Pull out a Rapier and stab with BB if something gets in your face (with advantage from familiar!) then CA away and keep using your bow or hand crossbow like a Proper Rogue.

The later ability functions just like charm person, except enemies don't know it's used on them, it's probably not magical and you can use it at-will.

Then, swashbuckler gives the ability to disengage after an attack. This synergizes perfectly with 'a rogue with booming blade'. The enemy takes damage if they try to chase you. They also, as mentioned, get sneak attack easier.
Also the at-will taunt.
Also higher initiative.

If you play a thief or assassin, there is honestly no point to using melee at all compared to hand crossbow.
Arcane trickster also works well with melee, but only because it gives you booming blade and green flame blade, of which you already have booming blade.

The other rogue archetypes don't really offer anything that's worlds more 'fun', really.

The point of melee rogues is that you use either swashbuckler or mobile to stay out of their range after an attack.

Booming blade. Bonus action dash, move out of range of the enemy's melee attack. Done.

Yes, ranged is much better if you're not a swashbuckler or AT, but swashbuckler gives you mobile lite and AT gives you magic initiate but better, so a swashbuckler with wizard cantrips or an AT with mobile can both be viable in melee.

It's a bit boring in combat but it works.

S&B, go Strength with Expertise in Athletics, Shield Master, use your Bonus Action to knock shit prone for advantage on your 1-2 attacks. ~20% chance to crit your Sneak Attacks.

Use any magical items, telekinesis, pocket sanding people, ADV on all stealth checks, spellcasting, being able to have a good shot of insta killing surprised enemies, having the ability to make false identities, getting a familiar and other abilities.

There's plenty of reasons to go with any other Rogue. Are Swashbucklers good? Yes, they're my second favorite option in the entire game but they can't do everything.

It works. It's not a bad idea at all.
Though, really, you should also consider barbarian.

Battlemaster can also get sneak attacks as reactions using riposte, though all fighters can use action surge to attack and then ready an action to sneak attack off their turn.

Champion fighter, battlemaster fighter, wolf barbarian and bear barbarian are all valid for multiclassing into rogue. So is shadow monk. Heck, even bladelock could do it.

I need boring, man. I played a Veng Pally/War Cleric, and I had a bunch of shit to keep track of.

I just want to stealth, lock pick, and swing at stuff.

GUYS TELL ME ABOUT THE UA I'M OUT OF THE LOOP

it's like irrelevant for 78% of all campaigns, it's pretty cool for the remaining 22%.

Okay, so if I'm starting a completely new campaign, do these rules play nice with the existing downtime rules?

>Use any magical items
How often do DMs give you magical items you can't use?
And even then, it's a later level feature at which point AT is laughing because they can haste themself and sneak attack twice a round using readied actions.

>Pocket sanding people
Maybe works at level 3, but beyond that it's unlikely to be awfully effective.
>Adv on stealth checks
Actually a pretty decent feature, but honestly usually the problem is your teammates rolling low on stealth, not you, and pass without trace exists. At-will charm person is better, really.
>Spellcasting
Yes, AT is great, but it feels stupid to grab booming blade with high elf then go AT. .. But maybe that's just me, it works fine.
>Assassin's assassinate
Comes up a lot less often than you'd think, and their later level features suck. Anyone can try to make false identities already, really, even if it's not as effective. Not that people check your identity so thoroughly very often. It's really just a 'You might rarely get some extra crits or otherwise just get some advantage' which is hardly interesting and in which case you might as well be a ranged rogue, especially considering you can snipe from sneaky spots.

I'm not saying swashbucklers are the best at all, but for someone who has booming blade it's a pretty easy to run with and logical pick. If you want to be the best at everything, you just go AT.

I'd say so, you may want to tweak costs tho.
Magic item crafting is memed to being a 1 year enterprice... If you don't hire help like a dumbass.
Also, beware accidental marriage.

they are an absolute improvement, but i don't think i've ever used the existing downtime rules.

Look over it and consider structuring your campaign around actions/events -> downtime -> actions/events -> etc. It's best as a story framing device imo.

Can a person ignore the effects of the charm person or command spell if they're deaf? Or have covered their ears?

Spell are fun

>Magic item crafting is memed to being a 1 year enterprise
Who the hell is saying that? That's only for goddamn rare and above, the most useful shit is common and uncommon anyways. And you have a party of 4-6 with you.

That works if they have a home base, but it's pretty rough if they're wanderers that have to carry everything they own.

And reposting
>maximize a standard array Tiefling Bladelock of the Field?
You don't. You've already decided on your character, and it is an intentionally weak choice.

Maybe you can be a feral abyssal tiefling for +2dex and +1con and focus on being a prickly off-tank. You go blade when your bonus stats are in str or dex.

>Who the hell is saying that?
/5eg/, two days ago.

Why are women drawn to D&D compared to most other games?

>inb4 its mainstream

Hi, I'm Sorcerer and this is Jackass.

So how effective is an Arcane Trickster's ability to invisibly pickpocket with Mage Hand? If the hand completely covers the object is it invisible or does it float in mid air?

Because its a game about socializing

Because it's easy. D&D has always been pussified: the rules are structured so that you do not die. As a result it is easy for women who do not know how to play games. Most women are terrible strategists and they cannot think critically or solve problems, and as a result they are awful at tactics and rarely have good ideas. They are mostly dominated by their emotions and thus the easy, boring, pussified reward cycle of D&D appeals to them the same way it appeals to many autistics. D&D also lets them play slutty females, as well as trannies thanks to the new pro-transsexual 5e rules.

That makes sense.

What's funny in my mind is I have horrible social anxiety, am pretty introverted, and have autism, but I love the game.

you probably love the rules, like i do, or just like the opportunity to pretend like you don't have horrible social anxiety or autism.

Some decent points in there, the one woman who plays in my party literally does nothing most sessions except useless shit like, (I turn into a bird, or, I play with my animal friend).

Last session we had a fight where two enemies were approaching here and she asked someone to take care of them.

How could a Level 14 Theurgist Level 1 Cleric kick a Tarrasque's ass?

Fly

Inquisitive High Elf Rogue with a sonic...well sonic something.

No yeah I plan to haven them have a base to come back to from the beginning, and the ability to get a cart to take things from town to town when they want to do something that isn't a day's journey away.

Damn, I believe you're right.

Get a magic bow and just keep out of its reach endlessly shooting arrows

Also
>theurgist
>1 level cleric dip
What the fuck is the point of theurgy when what it provides is a 'no armour cleric' when you dip into cleric and get armour anyway

So guys I have been playing with a few people in my college class as well as some other friends so there are five of us altogether. One of the girls in the group is kind of qt and a couple sessions ago while I was giving her a ride home I asked her out and she said no. So lately I've felt like trying to secretly kill her character off by ""accident"". Anyone got any advice? I don't know how to ninja-teamfrag in 5e, most of my experience is with Pathfinder. I'm playing a level 5 eldritch knight fighter, in case that helps.

That's a really good idea.

Depends on the spell. Charm in general is a no, though.

Don't metagrudge, get the fuck over it.

17th level Cleric abilities at level 14 Wizard, with the armor of a Cleric and access to the Cleric's ability to switch out spells every day while being able to use the Wizard and Cleric spell lists to their full potential.

Use sleight of hand to determine if you can perform your activity unnoticed?

Could you offer some advice for a college student trying to start a game?

Yeah... don't be That Guy just respect her answer and move on.

It's heavily, heavily implied that if the target can't hear it, command doesn't work.
All spells are like that if they can be resisted by simply not hearing it.
RTFM

I'm not calling you out or anything, but I'm curious: why is it that elves as a race have an 8+ foot jump? Isn't that just an ability score thing?

No it's a Thief ability to add DEX to jump length.

I seriously wouldn't allow multiclassing to give a big jump in armour proficiency. At the very least, every level gives effectively a 'feat' of armour.

Get 4 friends and ask them if they want to play D&D. It's what I did. Do a test session, maybe a one-off to see if they want to make it a regular thing and go from there.

How is SKT?
I've heard nice things.

>don't go whiteknight
>don't bite the bait
>DON'T GO WHITEKNIGHT
>DON'T BITE THE BAIT
FUCK IT
Fuck you for even thinking of being such a metagaming, teamkilling, salty, vengeful. Fuck you for making me picture the scenario where you PK just for getting rejected politely. Fuck you if you're making this up just to get replies. Fuck everything about this post.

To be fair, I'm fluffing it as Cleric level first, Wizard second.

>Druid TK user is back
It's been so long.

what level do you guys usually give +1 weapons? i dont want to overpower my party too much.

running skt so i only want them feeling able to take on giants once we get to the sandbox/oracle/burial mounds section.

help me create some fun magic items to stock them up on with at level 5 after the town attack events.

so far, i am thinking:
bard: mac-fuirmidh cittern
warlock: robe of useful items with some good spell scrolls
cleric: modified keoghtom's ointment that can restore charges overnight
barb: ring of jumping, possibly a +1 weapon (dual wielder)
and for the party, a cloak that allows for casting rope trick with 4 charges, where each charge = 2 hours of time. restores some charges daily.

thoughts?

I'm a bit nervous trying to DM since I've never done it and have barely played the game. But I guess I have to if I want to play.

Nice bait

Never. Provide more interesting magical weapons.

>historical fantasy
>historical
>fantasy

well which is it?

i like it. do you usually provide the 'counts as magical' baked into the weapon or only when it activates its effect or something?

i feel like the magical damage is the most important boost of them all.

I'd prefer something with tons of opportunities for battles but all of them are avoidable with the right skills

ask your mom

>what level do you guys usually give +1 weapons? i dont want to overpower my party too much.
Depends.
If I'm short on players, I've found they prefer to be loaded on gear to the teeth and take chances with the action economy than hire help.

Just don't give the stuck up bitch any more rides or favours

I'm dm-ing my first game with my friend, mostly in an attempt to give the normal dm more time to setup the next campaign as well as having a go at being a dm. I was thinking of making a pool of premade characters for the guys that way if I accidentally kill them, feelings aren't hurt. Good idea or killing the funof everyone creating a character?

Not gonna lie, I've missed this pasta.

Honestly I'm against throwing physical resistant enemies at all, but rather have weapons that are particularly effective against certain things. The physical resistant enemies would be things such as ghosts, and then certain weapons such as holy ones or any sort of anti-ethereal-being ones would be effective.

I want to bring back fancy weapon materials for an upcoming game. Should I just let them be straight upgrades for any weapon that could reasonably be made of them, at an extra cost?

To the guy asking about encumbrance from the other thread.

Try this on for size. My group tolerates it. The paladin (kind of) hates it because he's the one who likes to bring lots of supplies, and it's introduced a fun dynamic to the game.

Depends on the players, I guess. Maybe just tell them ahead of time to expect to die so they don't waste time writing novel backstories and getting super attached to the characters they make.

Hey /5eg/, is there an alternate ruleset available that doesn't cap stats? From what I remember of the last time I played they were capped at 20 and pretty much the whole game balance was tailored around that idea, and it's about the only issue I have with it aside from how the skills are handled.

This is certainly better than that one user's way of doing it where small items like keys weighed a fucking pound each. I guess I could deal with it.

I'd just hire a fuckton of hirelings.

my barb was thinking of going tiger totem because he really likes the jump ability, but he decided to go bear instead to help beef up the group. i was going to give him a ring of jumping to compensate, but i feel like he is the only primary martial and could use a special weapon.

what do you think of something like this?

1 handed weapon, if you move at least 10 feet before attacking you can make a leaping attack that triples your jump distance. if this attack hits, it deals an extra 2d6 damage. possibly something about making an enemy make a saving throw or be knocked prone too?

im having a bit of a hard time balancing something like this for this level...

By not doing so. Actual magic (enchanted) items are kept rare and powerful, so that if someone finds a Ring of Protection, it actually means something to them.

What I've done instead is added new materials for arms, armour, and accessories. For example, there's no +X weapons, but there is a sword made of argentane that increases your weapon die size when attacking undead.

Everyone is nervous their first couple of weeks the first session especially, take your mistakes in stride and know it will get better! Good luck user!

Could be cool to have some sort of weapon that allows you to pounce an enemy that you were previously hidden from. If you just make the requirement 'You move a bit' then it's just a needless extra movement you tack on and you can just spam it all day.

But it seems weird that such an ability would be granted by a one-handed weapon, unless it's some sort of polevault thing.

Just "rocks fall you die" her, lol
Why would you even play with a woman in the first place? Didn't you want to have fun?

Does knowing the language of a race give you insight to their customs?

For example, does someone who can speak giant know that he could impress a frost giant by wrestling a polar bear bare handed?