/awg/ alternative warganes general

Op doesn't have link to last thread edition
Hope i didn't fuck something else up subedition
>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Tell me more about Beyound The Gates of Antares, please.

I really want to read it too, people always say miniatures are better then they look with official paintjob and i would agree. It really looks good allaround, but i can't invest into it right now.

What are in OP's pic-related? Hortwerth is just a painting service.

I like those mechs.
They seem to be from a weird WW2.

why wargames in general must be so expensive?

It's a sci fi d10 based Bolt Action with kind of Mass Effect-ish fluff. Your factions are (if I remember right):

Concord - the shiny posthuman spacemen with good guns, good armour and a bit of everything. They're all wired into a big network thing and are commanded by Nuhus, kind of cyber wizards with drone bodyguards.

Isorians: one group of Concord managed to get a virus in their network access point and now look like the Guyver, they're kind of like Chaos

Freeborn: Rogue Trader types with wacky Dune style outfits, giant insect riders, mutant auxiliaries etc. Stock colours are fucking ugly turquoise.

Boromites: Rock men, made of rocks. They're miners. Their society is matriarchal so your HQs include "cute rock girl" or "seriously fat rock woman on mobility scooter". They get a giant rock monster with a howdah full of guns, lava spitting bugs, mining lasers, drills etc. Rocks!

Algoryn: seriously can't remember their fluff, I think they're a warrior race, they're fucking Turians

Ghar: Tiny space goblins that build mech suits to fight because they're really fucking angry all the time. They have a command unit that's like a walker version of Asdrubael Vect's pimp tank from old 40k, except piloted by a pipe smoking goblin.

From this the big problem should be obvious: the fluff is mostly really fucking dull and forgettable. I've read it, and while I could talk a fair bit about 40k or Infinity or Heavy Gear just from memory there's very little memorable about Antares.

The game itself works fine but I remember when I played it more often Net Launchers were deadlier than any other weapon in the game because they generally just erased squads from morale damage long before actual shooting would do anything.

Because all those nerd hookers and coke don't come cheap

As opposed to what? Our plastic/metal/resin crack isn't particularly expensive compared to other kinds of crack.

Warzone Resurection.

Those are Bauhaus Armored Hussars.

And the setting is a dieselpunk techno fantasy.

Why are my local Wargamers so lazy

That's a 28/32/Heroic scale line, right? Because I may have just found my Ogryn Charonites...

>Ogryn Charo

...yes please?

>Using minis but still playing shitty GW games
Get the fuck out GW shill. This is our safe space.

brain fart, those are Vulkan walkers, not armored hussars. Duh. And I play Bauhaus.

They are 28mm scale iirc.

Also some great guardsmen you can make from regular hussars, or v-rangers.

Imperial Life Dragoons/Young Guards are a particular favourite of mine (pic related).

In general, WZR has that 1990s techno fantasy Dieselpunk feel.

An amalgamated term for three GW games is literally in the OP. Kill yourself.

>why wargames in general must be so expensive?
We kinda make them that way, don't we? It's possible to play war games pretty cheaply. We used to do it back in the day. Get some 30-to-a-box WW2 mans from Tamiya or Revell or Airfix or whatever they've got down at the model train shop, scratch build all your terrain and vehicles, and beg / borrow / steal / rewrite rules as necessary.

But that's not good enough. We always want more, better, bigger, higher detail models, and ever expanding highly-balanced and officially maintained rulesets. All that shit costs $$. This is what we've got, because it's what we the players asked for.

40k has like 8 dedicated threads, you dumb faggot.

I'm digging those ones in the OP. Except I'm not seeing 28mm scale power armor, I'm seeing 10mm scale mechs. Just got to replace the little heads with a driver dude.

>Rules designers welcome.
Just a question for the room here - anybody have any experience publishing a homebrew ruleset? Any tips or suggestions for best avenue to do that? I've got a project our group has been working on for years that I'd like to get out there. Not looking to make any $$ on it or anything, just want to get it out there in some fashion.

Buy and play cheaper ones?

They're still not cheap, but you can get a hell of a lot even in 28mm if you don't buy expensive models. Maybe even enough to save up and buy a few expensive bits, splash out here and there on a fancy rulebook or a totally sweet vehicle.

lower your scale

It's still just as possible.
Hell, being a cheap fuck is half the fun for me. Sniffing out cheap manifacturers, buying sales or rescuing stuff from ebay, sculpting and converting things.
Hell, you can do ridiculous stuff in small scall games, to a point where you only need to buy infantry and can convert everything else.

That definitely helps. With storage space if nothing else.

Although sometimes I find myself paying crazy prices for stuff in smaller scales just because there are fewer manufacturers and smaller selection.

Should I play Frostgrave?
My friend wants to try, but the rules look rather boring to me.
How do games usually go?

Define "crazy prices"

You had one job OP.... Wargames not warganes!! Even my phone tried to point out that was wrong with auto correct.

Oh dear

We should put an additional i in there and make this /alternative wargains general/, where everyone gets swole by lifting pewter miniatures

One. Billion. Dollars. =P

In all honesty, I have some armies in 6mm and 10mm scale that have run me many hundreds of dollars. You CAN do it cheaply, for sure, it's just not always the case. And some of the apparent savings are offset by the fact that you are buying a lot more total pieces for an average size game at those smaller scales.

So for instance a tank at 10mm might only be $3 - $6, depending on the manufacturer, where a tank for 25mm would be $25 - $40. But in a 10mm scale game, you can often field whole companies of armor. In a 25mm game you probably only have 2 or 3 vehicles at most.

Finer scale games never hit the ridiculous top-end costs of something like 40K Apocalypse or something like that, but it's definitely possible to drop some serious dough.

Well, yeah, but that's the age old discussion of single miniature vs complete army prices. If you can get away with using historical miniatures, you can often shave away even more, especially if you can hunt stuff on ebay.
Taking a 28mm game and playing in 15mm is also a favourite of mine.

>40K Apocalypse
Or as most people call it now: "Regular 40k"

Agreed on both counts. Historical is almost always much cheaper, if only due to the relative scarcity of giant robots.

>Or as most people call it now: "Regular 40k"
Yeah, I've been out of that loop a while (fortunately for me). The closest I ever get is the occasional game of Epic. Although that's actually a perfect example - my Admech Epic army is probably more $$$ than a lot of 25mm games, what with the multiple companies of infantry and armor, all the mechs and robots, half a dozen titans, fleet + air support, etc. It's also infinitely cooler, so I'm not complaining, but you pay for that.

It won't hurt to give it a try.

I'm not up to date with all the expansions so things might have changed since I played it. Usually the game opens with a mad rush for treasure augmented by movement spells. Then there is some skirmishing over the contested treasure while the treasure carriers try to withdraw safely. Combat has quite a bit of luck with its D20 system.

Epic has mostly been on the pricier end of 6mm though and has only creeped up a bit. Understandably, since it's a labor of love for most recasters, but still. What do the prices of Age of Tyrants look like? Is that released yet?

Beefcake edition cheers Cartman

Anybody else have the problem of being unable to really commit to one game and one faction only?
I'm basically at a point where I have to sell old stuff to make space for the new stuff. But I can't make my mind up about that either.

I'm in the other boat, I haven't bought or started anything new in ages. No time to play and no friends to play with anyway, so that makes it easy to not buy anything and just look at stuff and dream about playing in sadness

I guess I'd have the time, but I don't have the friends either. I mean, I have friends, but the don't give a shit about wargaming.
And it's not like I actually finish anything I start.

No that I think about it it has been a consistent pattern for me. My first army still has half painted, half assembled minis sitting somewhere in a box. My second army still has a converted, but unpainted commander kicking around somewhere. My third army never got past the stage of converting the models, but never putting them on a base. And it goes on like that.
Now I've graduated to hopping from game to game.

Well I've not run out of space yet and I'm pretty good at getting one army done but I tend to lose interest and hope to another game before I can get the second army done so I can actually play the game.

I buy loads of Epic stuff and paint it because I still love the 40k setting and cute 6mm 40k stuff. But I can't stick to one faction or actually finish 3k points. Been working on that for a while now. I have no opponents or any clue how to find any but I collect the stuff anyway.

Anyone willing to comment on a WiP mechanic for a skirmish game?

Depends on what exactly you want to do. You can always post them for free online. I think that's how One Page started. You can also find a publisher if you have a complete project. I think that's what most of Osprey's games are.

>Epic has mostly been on the pricier end of 6mm though and has only creeped up a bit
Definitely. I was really just illustrating a point - unless you make a dedicated effort to be cheap, the hobby is mostly always expensive, regardless of scale.

Every race in Antares was at one time human. If you're familiar with old 40k and the ab-humans like the ratlings, ogryn, and beastmen, then think of them like that. That's not to say there are no intelligent aliens in the setting, they're just not a playable faction yet. At this point the only aliens are the tsan-ra as a unit within the Isorian faction.

Algoryn were human colonists that settled in a system that was exposed to higher amounts of radiation so they've developed thicker lizard like hide for protection. They are also under constant attack from the Ghar and as a result are very militarized.

Ghar are diminutive bio-engineered goblin looking humanoids that had at one point been breed for war. They use out dated brutish technology that can often harm themselves. Think Dalleks from Doctor Who and Orks from 40k, Dal-orks.

I like the Ghar's garthim mechs, but I hate the little buggers themselves. So ugly.

So I got my copy of Open Combat in and after reading through it it's a pretty neat little system.

It's basically designed as a system for pre-gunpowder stuff where you can stat your own dudes(so fantasy is in with some tweaks) and use whatever models you want.

The combat mechanics are fairly simple at their core, but things open up based on weapons models are uaing and skills. There's also a fairly extensive campaign system that reminds me a lot of Mordhiem which makes me happy because the last batch of games with campaign systems I've been interested in have been let downs in that department(I'm looking at you, Counterblast).

Totally worth a look if you want sometbing that is truly "your dudes" and has very few limits.

get molds

What about starter?

Osprey and North Star Miniatures are together releasing fantasy sprues similar to the Frostgrave ones.

Dwarves first, with I think Elves and Goblins in the pipeline.

There's plenty of companies making such things out there, but these actually look pretty nice. Hopefully they'll come with plenty of options like the mentioned FG sprues.

Mantic games makes decent models for cheap. They're also great substitutes for GW stuff.

THose are some OSR as fuck dwarfs

I like the ginger hoodie-bro with a hammer and an axe.

Shit, i knew i would fuck something up, well at least the thread is CTRLFable and the important stuff seems in order.

I don't know, yes mantic stuff is pretty cheap, but their miniatures are decent at best and after all you are still paying them a lot, it doesn't really feel right to buy a miniature i din't love, even if it's cheaper.

Anybody still using 10mm for fantasy, outside of old warmaster players? Always thought that was a great scale for massed infantry battles, especially when you still want recognizable hero characters (as is usually the case in fantasy).

I got a pack of Microworld 6mm ogres the other week, and I think they might be the best 10mm orcs I own.

Even if you play 8th edition warhammer fantasy or recent 40k with a table full of GW terrain, it's still not that expensive compared to other hobbies.
That said, is there a game that is more expensive than whfb or 40k?

Can't say I like the look of them (especially dislike the amish looking one with the bow), are they sculpted by the same dude that did the other plastics?

I love my Frostgrave dudes because they look like old-school murderhobos. Now they're releasing dwarves? I'm buying six boxes.

I mixed the cultist box with some old IG bits I had kicking around, and they make some really good sci-fi weirdos.

30k?

Is there a link where these were announced? My google-fu is failing me

northstar's facebook page, they also showed the sprues

Ah, thanks user.

I... I think he's Finnish. He looks Finnish to me, and by that I mean I am very afraid.

Not if you live in 'straya

>it's still not that expensive compared to other hobbies.
That argument always rubs me the wrong way.
Compared to Yachting, Burnouts or horseriding with your own horse but rented stables? Yeah, it's not that expensive.
But there are also a metric shitton of hobbies that are magnitudes cheaper, like hiking, playing tabletop RPGs or even good ol' boardgames.

Been getting back into post-apoc lately. Does anyone have the Wasteland 3: Meltdown rules?

No need to be upset and shit up the thread, friendo. If he wants to use them as such, then it's up to him. I got some Adeptus Waheteverus Scions to use as Spec Ops for Warzone because they match the old minis better and have a head that's like exactly like the ones the new ops have.

Wargame Vault is the place to go.

You're part of the problem.

>not being a dick about things is being part of the problems
>being a dick is part of the solution

Anyway, those Northstar dorfs are pretty cool. I don't really regret trading my Skull Pass dorf army away, I like these better.

Yeah, there.

Ask in /hwg/, some of the regulars there have published stuff.

Hey, Dwarfs that actually look decent!

I always hated the GW style Dwarfs that were 95% beard, never sat right with me. These at least look like they won't trip every few steps.

These get away from "EPIC GIMLIES MY AXE I'M DRUNK" which is nice. Rightdude looks like he lives in a hole and just wants to catch dinner in the river without seeing something that makes him nope the fuck out for the eightieth time this month.

He'd look a lot better if his right arm was raised up a little imo.

Since it'll be a multipart plastic kit, you can put his arm behind his back if you want.

What do you think of this list? 5/6 of it is painted and I own the rest except the aircraft which I'd have to buy.

NetEA Codex Astartes:
[Dark Angels]
Tactical Squad 400 pts
Supreme Commander, Razorback

Assault Marines 175 pts
Devastators 250 pts
Thunderhawk Gunship 200 pts

Scouts 150 pts
Whirlwinds 300 pts

[Ravenwing]
Land Speeders 200 pts
Bikes 200 pts

[Deathwing]
Terminators 400 pts
Chaplain
Thunderhawk Gunship 200 pts

[Imperial Allies]
Warhound Titan 275 pts
Marauder Bombers 250 pts

There are actually two starters now. The original one's a lot bigger, contains a pretty good number of Concord and Ghar, and has the full hardback rules.
The newer starter set is a lot cheaper, but comes with a smaller number of Concord and Algoryn and a soft back rulebook. The softback rules leave out point costs and some advanced rules like specific drones and shields. You can get PDFs of the point costs from warlord's website for free, but there isn't a way to get shields and the advanced rules without getting the hardback or PDF rules.

Funnily enough, I think they'd be perfect to use for the thirteen dwarves if you wanted a more oldschool look.

I've got the smaller starter, and while I'm quite pleased with the value of the set, I'm not really impressed by it.

The plastic concord are alright (much better than the shitty pictures that Warlord puts up) and the Algoryn are likewise alright.

Nothing about the set really grabs me though. Maybe it's because I've sat on the box for a month or so just trying to figure out a paint scheme for the forces.

Yeah, I think that's probably one of the games bigger problems. More and better background would really help the game along. Also, the whole thing where you don't get the full rules with the smaller starter set seems kind of lame to me.
That being said, I think the game has potential. I like some of the new and different things they try out, but they don't do a lot to get the game out there.

Yeah, I'm with you. It's a cool idea - I think? There's not a lot out there about the game.

Warlord can't seem to decide if they want to get it out there or not.

I'm also pretty disappointed that outside of the starter sets they're emulating GW pricing instead of their historicals pricing.

>Hopefully they'll come with plenty of options like the mentioned FG sprues.
There are some pimages of the sprues on Facebook.
Each sprue has five bodies, 10 heads and enough bows and handweapons to equip all five dwarves the same apparently.
>are they sculpted by the same dude that did the other plastics?
Bob Naismith. Yeah, same sculptor.

>From this the big problem should be obvious: the fluff is mostly really fucking dull and forgettable. I've read it, and while I could talk a fair bit about 40k or Infinity or Heavy Gear just from memory there's very little memorable about Antares.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that assertion. But I agree that it is hard to talk about.
Mainly because what we have so far are only broad strokes for each faction and not even every unit in the army lists has models or even art.

The whole idea surrounding the actual Gates of Antares is kind of cool, but at the same time makes it difficult to really connect the narrative of each faction meaningful with each other outside of the campaign settings like the Xilos one for example.

But I like the minis they released so far and I'm interested in what's gonna happen next.
Mind you when they announced it as hard sci-fi and then brought out the Boromites I was kind of put off. Then I read the beta rules and thought it was an unsalvageable mess.
But I came around and I think the game is about to find it's footing sometime soonish.

>that outside of the starter sets they're emulating GW pricing instead of their historicals pricing.
The minis are mainly metals and resin.
Only Concord and Algoryn have plastic so far.
I've been thinking about this recently and a box of 6 metal minis for 15 €urobucks (from a independant retailer of your choice who's into giving a discount) is really cheap for metal models if you think about it. And the newer packages supposedly come with one or two extra models (my boxes didn't).

WHFB dwarves are kinda goofy, but I always really liked their LotR dwarves.

best dwarfs ever coming through

Sure, if you're getting a discount it's not terrible.

Consider though, a three man metal concord command pack costs about $20 from warlord. A box of 10 plastic guys and some drones - $32.

It just seems unfair when a box of 30 US paratroopers from the same maker costs $41.

unfair isn't the right word. It seems, self-defeating.

I mean, why buy into Antares when the same company makes a game that's not only way more popular, but easier on the wallet to get into?

And let's not forget to take into account that from that box of paratroopers and a US weapons sprue (or just the old box of US GIs) you can make a decent starter army for Bolt Action.

you should take into accoun the sprue too, if the antares guys have more options it amkes sense they cost more, but i have no idea about that.

Yeah that's true.
I guess because historicals have to compete with a larger market.
If you make plastic sci-fi minis the only other big dog is GW. Still beats their prices at least.

Ghar battlesuits are all in plastic. I'd love to see plastic Freeborn troops.

I like the LotR stuff because they had to work with an existing design. But compare that to GW originals like the new fire dwarfs they have for AoS and see how one is basically just a beard with some limbs.

Do we know how many sprues each of the Northstar boxes has? I'm debating getting them to use for KoW and maybe Mordhiem/Open Combat/whatever fantasy skirmish I can find people to play with.

Also; do we think the crossbow arms from the Frostgrave soldiers might be weird on these guys? Like out of scale?

They don't. Maybe as more stuff gets released in plastic we'll see more options.

Maybe it's because I can't look at Antares and see it as only competing with GW and Mantic's sci-fi line up.
I can't help but think that all the ex-GW players it would have pulled have already been pulled to Bolt Action.

>Ghar battlesuits are all in plastic.
Oh right.
>I'd love to see plastic Freeborn troops.
A while ago I was hyped for the ferals and bought some on impulse. And because I'm weird like that I thought it would be neat to convert some too.
So I bought some ancient british warriors from warlord (celtic warrior sprues plus metal heads with spiky hair) and some mag gun sprues.

Just as my package arrived I read that plastic freeborn have been rumored.
Though I'd assume you see Domari or Vandari troops before you see Ferals in plastic.

Anyway, I'm gonna convert some ferals with plastic minis.

>I can't help but think that all the ex-GW players it would have pulled have already been pulled to Bolt Action.
WW2 games are not really all that popular in Germany. At least that is my impression from personal experience.
And it's a big market for tabletop games.

That's a fair observation, but I'm not sure how true it holds in other countries.

It seems like a stretch to say that Warlord is banking on the German market to carry this game.

>It seems like a stretch to say that Warlord is banking on the German market to carry this game.
Yeah. Not really what I was trying to imply anyway.
Antares seems to be primarily popular in Britain so far. 40k is still too strong here.

>See OP pic
>Someone built some power armor
>Design leaves entire pilot's head exposed
What's the fucking point then?

My bad for >implying that.

I'd really like it if Antares took off, but I'm afraid that unless Warlord does something drastic (and I think the teaser starter set was a good step) it's never going to do anything.

I'd also like to see GW dethroned, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. Not with the way people guzzle that shit down and not with the way that GW has poisoned the hobby.

I don't play 40k anymore, haven't since 3rd edition, but Antares' aesthetic is super boring by comparison. I can't imagine myself ever being interested.

>Those new warzone resurrection vehicles.

Lookin good. Hopefully they show something for Capitol and mishima.

Yeah, it's got some cool things hidden in it. Personally I like the aesthetics of some of the factions, but it's either mostly intentionally generic or there's just no info out there about it.

I'd like it to do well, but I'm not willing to invest in it at it's current state.