EDH Commander General

Outplayed edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Do you play any RNG fuckfest decks? Besides red chaos, I mean.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-sixth-praetor/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/floating-coffin/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-03-17-gitrog-monster-edh/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I play a Chaos Nin since I want to have some random fun with my meta.

minotaur tribal with some discard shenanigans, is it possible?

Possible, but still janky.

I'm doing discard tribal with some minotaur shenanigans

>Do you play any RNG fuckfest decks? Besides red chaos, I mean.
Not at present. There are decks that have RNG elements (My Sidisi brew functions way better or worse based on what gets milled when). But I've been scheming Assault Suit Ruhan of the Fomori Voltron that forces my opponents to play Russian Roulette. Does that count?

Would be great, if being Hellbent wasn't so game-crippling. +2/0 to Minotaurs isn't nearly a good enough reason to have no cards in hand.

Any good videos/write ups of stax being run? I want to get better at knowing when to play pieces and when to take damage.

>yfw "doppio attacco" is revealed as a new keyword "double attacker", which means that it can attack multiple times in combat step
I hope the red god isn't gonna be pricey, since I want that shit in my Minotaur deck. Shame about the black gid though.

Secret tech for this guy and Pervert.

Give away everything so that others can't wrath you.

Playing this and mage's contest in RW and people forgetting its on field is always fun.

Earliest as possible really. Best way to prevent others from getting out if control is to not let them get started. Against good decks, usually the early game is most important, but against slow decks stax is overall backbreaking, so most times it hardly matters then if you play your pieces willy nilly, unless you are aftaid of removal

Im trying to figure out if rocks or dorks are a better route, as im going the full orb humility package.

Rocks are a bit slower but do more than dorks at the end if the game.

Pervert?

Hazoret. When her Masterpiece was revealed, fake hieroglyphic font made "Fervent" look like "Pervert"

Depends on your colours, but strongest are UW. Rocks are less vulnerable, depending on which type of wrath is most prevalent in your meta. That said, you can chain rocks, since they don't need haste to tap.
I run rocks, because Wrath+Armageddon works well for my strategy. Stax decks usually are anti-creatures in my experience, so dorks seem really odd thought to me.

Atraxa, only creatures Im running at the moment (top of head, at work):
-containment priest
-hushwing
-poison rats
-Zur (fetish statis combo and field)
-treasure mage
I think I may have one more but unsure. Typical rock package and stax but more enchantment subtheme. Still a work,in progress.

I'll probably build him as a discard outlet without any minotaurs at all. Make everyone hellbent, and then ensure your deck performs best under those conditions.

>Do you play any RNG fuckfest decks?
Not really, but I try to build in some forced variance in my decks if possible, so that they have some ability to play out unpredictably.

I don't think you typically use dorks unless you have more of a hatebear approach. However, it does let you run the more efficient artifact hate without fear of repercussion.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-sixth-praetor/

Rebuilt Newzuri after not playing for some time, give me your opinions

>Do you play any RNG fuckfest decks. Besides red chaos, I mean.
Pic related

Rocks are always better if you've got good rocks. Stax likes melting the world, and creatures are possibly the most vulnerable type to its antics. Now you can play Gx Stax that uses plentiful and powerful dorks instead, potentially getting a sort of hybrid stax/elfball thing going on but it's generally going to be more fragile than the traditional Wx (x often equaling U and/or B) that uses rocks to rush out a couple stax elements and keep playing under the lock.

Remember, Stax makes the game a race to 0 permanents. Be the last one with board left, and you've probably won. This means holding people down with untap denial (like winter and Static orbs) taking their toys away with Armageddon and to a lesser extent Wrath, and staying just a wee bit ahead with your plays as you crank up that Smokestack to make them sac the rest away. Generally, if you're doing it right, you'll crawl to the top of the heap with fairly little left yourself, but more than everyone else.

There are a ton of complicated decision trees in piloting Stax. Honestly, it's one of the more skill intensive decks in magic to do RIGHT since unlike a combo you can't memorize your tree and instead have to improvise based on opposing board state versus what tools you've got for paralyzing and annihilating it. But as says, when to play pieces is not exactly one of those hard calls. You vomit them onto the field ASAP. When to sac what is a bigger question. Like, you can throw Winter Orb under the bus after you Armageddon, but what about Static Orb? Tangle Wire? Do you run Smokestack at a level you can sustain for more turns or kick it up to make sure everyone else loses the ability to play rather than treading water themselves?

Well I fucked up

Here's a (you)

I'd say that Peacekeeper is definitely worth adding and Spike Weaver, as you're playing Atraxa, but that one spiked a while back because of her.
I don't know about Zur though, he's okay-ish, but unless you're playing a bunch of things he can get, I wouldn't include him.
Ichor Rats works well in this kind of build. I don't know about Treasure Mage though, what do you fetch with it? Only card it could fetch in my deck is Mindslaver, so Trinket Mage would be much more useful.
Usually stax runs with relatively low curve and little to no high cmc bombs, which I have only 1 in my Hanna, which is Decree of Silence and that's because in super late game I can at least use it as repeatable counterspell that's much harder to counter.

Is there anything like Conflagrate in B/G?
As in discard X cards and deal damage/lose life for them?

Gideon is Mediterranean you troglodyte.

Sickening Dreams? The rest of the "Dreams" cycle are good ways to discard cards but maybe not what you're looking for.

Thankfully no.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/floating-coffin/

Doing my best. Still needs direction.

Gideon is supposed to be mediterranean, but comes off looking like a monkey extra in the original Planet of the Apes more often than not.

And I have no idea how you thought that was relevant.

I typo'd. I meant the black god

Ah I see.

That's why.

Skirge Familiar into Exanguinate?

Meant trinket mage, thays what I get for phone posting.
Zur fetches allot of things, as enchantment sub-theme. Mostly lock pieces and a few combos. Peacekeeper is a cool one. Spike is nice not sure if thats *how* I want to play it.

What's /edhg/ opinion on pic related? Thinking on run it on my WUBRG Sliver Queen deck.

>Sliver Queen
>Not a Sliver
>Doesn't help Mana Echoes combo kill.

It's trash there. Everywhere else it's pretty legit.

If you're unsure of card names, use MTG Familiar, it's a good app.
Your deck seems interesting though, but I'm mostly thinking that how much do you rely on Zur? Do you have reliable way to get him and get value out of him?

You know, it's funny... I've considered tooling a more casual Leovold to do the ProsBloom thing, but I always decline because wheeling hands away is just too much fun.

He so far in limited testing is a 1 or 2 time tutor for life saving stay tapped enchantments or giving atraxa infect. Ill post the deck later, although Im aware it has issues.

Sure thing. All is good if you don't rely on Atraxa too much

So this is the power of Wizards pandering to EDH players... Woah...

Is there any top secret tech for this guy? Game plan is to shit out as many soldier tokens as possible and buff them all. Will have a heavy reliance on creatures and enchantments.

Ew

> the blacks are violently opposed to the counter culture and use violence to combat it

What did WotC mean by this?

Is it a real card? because it doesn't even look like a real card.

Many to say dominant culture

Anyway, It seems like this might be the best Naya commander that isn't Combo

It's on mythic spoiler

Holy shit i just got double trips

it would have been better the fake 20/20 wurm over this... amalgamation of a card .

>Pretty good replacement for Xenagos in my beats.dec to allow splash for white
>Art is hideous
Gross

I'd be slotting this into so many decks if it didn't have that single fucking {W}

Chek'd x2

Kek has blessed you child

It's really hard to make good legends from wotc's POV.
Legends that are mono color can go in nearly any deck, 2 colors can go in less but still a lot.
3 color legends have a hard time fitting in decks and can't go in any two color decks but are better as commanders.

Tasigur for example, can't be played in a BG or UB deck because hybrid other color but is a good commander because BUG.

Anger > Fires of Yavimaya >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> That crap

Well, that single white symbol feels completely shoehorned into the card just to add to its color identity.

Green has plenty of stuff that untaps creatures.

I don't quite understand how any of the abilities make sense together...
>haste/vigilance/double strike makes for a good voltron commander
>Giving everything haste and the untap ability is good for a Naya tap-abilities matter deck.
>flash?
Just why? It has haste already so just to make emergency blockers?

>Attack with exert creature
>EOT when opponent attacks, flash in Samut, untap exert creature, surprise blocks!
>next turn attack with exert creature and samut again, untap exert creature so it can continue to attack every turn

That's clearly the purpose of the card in standard at least. The white symbol is pandering to the commander crowd.

It'd be kind of nice if you just couldn't pay costs on cards you own if they're outside your color identity.

i.e. tasigur can go in a BG deck and you can pay GG2 to do his thing and this lady just can't be activated in Xenagos because Xenagos isn't white. But that's why they banned Karakas.

EOT or when opponent attacks*

Wu wuz kangz

Untap is likely there for all the Exert in-set. So you can exert every single turn rather than every 2 turns.

You guys might be turned off by the art, but this is actually quite good.
By far the most viable commander so far this set.

I guess that makes sense. It just seems like such a clusterfuck of a card.

It's the best Naya commander of you don't want to pay $70 for doubling season

So which of you guys are MTGO commander players, if there is a few of us is there some sorta clan?

*$50+ my bad, it a bit more affordable than I though

Start brewing lads.
What are some other auto-includes?

Blasting Station!

awh yea

Neat!

>not a planeswalker
SAVED

Mana dorks go infinite tap-untap with her, is there a way to harness this power in a meaningful way? Mana reflection gives infinite white mana with this

That art

Angry women yelling at incredible speeds . Jpg

>Flash
>Haste
For what purpose?

god dammit wizards, why did you have to make it white ;_;

That new token doubler from Amonketh slots right in

See

Becuase zombies are orzhov this set.

>6 abilities on a 3/4 creature for 5
I'm not even gonna ask why this time. Fuck wizards with a garden rake.

>Lands that ping you
Nomads Stadium, City of Brass, Tarnished Citadel, Ancient Tomb, the new desert one shot effect, and theres like one more out there but I forgot.
>Redirect damage
Sivvis Valor, Jade Monolith
>Soldier stuff
Catapult fucking Master

Urbog and Karma

They don't go infinite because she taps as well.

She goes infinite with Umbral Mantle, and Krosan Restorer.

Are there any better infinite combos?

>go down to store to play commander with friend at the stores league
>league is supposed to be casual game, point system, and certain rules to penalize broken combos, only 5 triggers to stop infinite combos etc.,
>get to the store, register, ask store owner to borrow a deck as I am waiting for the last order of cards to come in to sleeve my deck up
>he lets me borrow Kalemne, decent RW aggro deck a bit budget and I doubt itll do well but its better then nothing
>friend is playing 5 color walkers with Child of Alara
>pairings go up, friend and I get put at same table
>we sit down and the other two guys come up, one is someone we've played with before playing Zedruu today, hes a bit annoying but not horrible
>final guy comes to sit down at table, hes an annoying hyper competitive EDH player playing Zur combo
>fucking fantastic
>draw our hands
>he turns to the other table shows his hand and brags about how he has a turn 3 kill in hand
>we start, within a few turns he has Zur out, Child of Alara player goes to Path his Zur after he plays it
>guy flips out "Are you gonna start fucking with me? Because ill kill you in two turns if you do!" Child player still paths his Zur
>I play my Commander and some creatures and start trying to bash in at him, again he goes "Are you gonna fuck with me too? Cause ill lock you out"
>I continue to attack knowing I probably cant win with this deck (theres no board wipes or Austere Command the decks super budget)
>Zedru player does basically nothing all game i attacked him a few times in the beginning but all he really did was help the Zur faggot
>he grabs all his Zur combo pieces next turn and kills the whole table and then smugly proclaims himself the winner. It was turn 5.
That was the most AIDS experience ive ever had playing Magic

cool story bro

>RW
>not running spot removal for artifacts/enchantments
The storeowner kekked you well

I doubt he knew whats in the deck. Its in the display case for sale for under $100 along with a bunch of other budget commander decks. It had two Secluded Steppe in it.

The new exert for an extra combat step guy and a mana dork that produces W?

Thanks for the blog. I genuinely enjoy reading about encounters with autistic and obnoxious players.

Combat celebrant can only be used once a turn

"If Combat Celebrant hasn't been exerted this turn, you may exert it as it attacks."

And yet, amusingly, it's still infinite with Kiki-jiki and twin.

Gitrog Monster, no inf combos please
What don't you like? 111 cards is too many

pls no bully
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-03-17-gitrog-monster-edh/

Honestly its not that he won but the autistic screeching everytime someone did something to him.

of course, because they spawn new versions who havent exerted.

Well shit. I guess you just need to stick with boring infinite mana combos.

I had a similar experience
>be me
>LGS
>3 player pod
>play Rashmi stuff
>opponents are DL Silumgar and Titania
>titania wins die roll
>titania starts ramping like crazy
>Silumgar plays a land and passes
>play botanical sanctum and pass, plan for turn 2 tribe elder and pass
>Titania tempts us with discovery, we decline, he strip mines my only land I have others in hand
>Silumgar uses Foil on Titania, then Thoughtseizes Titania on his turn
>play forest and GSZ for Dryad Arbor that I drew for turn
>proceed to wreck Titania player
>titania player gets mad

That's a common thing with solitaire players

>known combo player
>isn't getting on the board early
>is just doing mana crypt/vault/basalt/etc things
>attack him, try to get other players to attack him
>"I'M NOT EVEN DOING ANYTHING WHY ARE YOU ATTACKING ME"
>then they combo win

autists are killing the format

I personally prefer Gb for my Stax. It provides more acceleration while still giving access to all the pieces you normally want in Stax (the artifacts), while opening up a whole host of nasty GB effects. The commander I like is Nath, though I'm considering trying to run it with Gitrog.

In the unlikely event that I run into someone who ruins the Stax gameplay, I also run Glissa with some swords as a backup plan. By herself, she helps enable Stax (artifacts to sac), and she can push through a difficult game if necessary.