What's your all-time favorite gaming moment?

What's your all-time favorite gaming moment?

that moment everytime I get a group together

I never asked for this feeling.

Either of the times in a 5e campaign that I essentially solo'd a dragon with a CR that was notably above my level.

The first time (me, level 8 Thief, verses a CR 13 Adult white) it was during the first round of combat that I was separated. Climbing onto a larger creature (must be at least 2 categories larger than you) grants you advantage on all attack rolls against that creature - i.e., I could guarantee a sneak attack each turn. So I took out my trusty lasso while it was flying overhead and threw the lasso (attack action), managed to snag the dragon's leg as it was flying by, and then used my absurd Climb speed (from being a rogue) to Move and Dash up onto the dragon. At this point the party had done ~15 damage to it.

Well, White was, it turns out, smarter than me, because he just flew away from the other members of the party and left his ice troll minions to deal with them, while he decided to deal with me personally.

Thing is that when you're on the small of a white dragon's back, holding on just above the wings, there's not a lot of ways for him to hit you. Their necks aren't really all that flexible (see pic) so it couldn't bite or breath me, and their legs aren't long enough to reach there so it couldn't claw me. All it could do was tail attack me or try and smash me into a cave wall, but that severely limited its damage output.

It also tried to drown me, but by pure chance I had a potion of water breathing. The idea might also have been to freeze me in the nearly-freezing water, but as it turns out in 5e you don't even start making checks against hypothermia until like 10 minutes have passed.

A lot of Acrobatics and Athletics checks (to stay on the dragon, resisting his attempts to throw me off), Luck dice, potions of healing, making HEAVY use of the rogue's Uncanny Dodge ability and my Defensive Duelist feat, and Sneak Attacks later, and the dragon was dead at the bottom of a pool of freezing water. I had 4 hit points left.

The second time (me now level 14, still a Thief, verses a CR 20 Ancient white) was at the campaign's climax. We'd gotten into some fortress and found, and I quote, "All the treasure of the Sword Coast". So my kleptomaniacal thief was having the time of her life inside of the room wondering what she would do with it all. Two members of the party wandered off to scout ahead, leaving me, one other party member (a elf warlock/monk), and a paladin NPC in the room.

Which is when the Ancient white attacked, rising from the treasure and pontificating about how I had killed her mate (I had) and been stupid enough to brag about it up and down the Sword Coast (I was) and so now she was going to kill me (I believed her).

So the first thing that happens is the warlock/monk BOOKS it, her player expressly stating that she was running away with no intention to fight the dragon, leaving me and the paladin to die. Completed her shift to Neutral Evil, at least. About two rounds of desperate combat against the White left me believing that there was no way in Hell that I nor the paladin was going to survive this, and neither would the rest of my party when the dragon attacked them. And if we died then the Sword Coast would be doomed to fall to Tiamat.

So I did the only thing I could: I ran up to the dragon and put one of my bags of holding inside my other bag of holding, sucking both me and the dragon into the Astral Plane (the paladin was out of range). Because when I wrote GOOD on my character sheet, I meant it, damnit.

This functionally removed my character from the game, and so I ran the paladin NPC for the remaining two sessions. However, just for funsies the DM after the battle had me and the dragon play out our fight.

>game night
>me and 5 friends
>casual mtg free for all
>dragon's throne'd a well-fed Heroes Bane
>killed everyone with 5000001/5000001 trample elves
fun times. I miss large group free for alls. Too bad 2 players moved states.

Well, due to the Astral Plane, my character had what amounted to a fly speed equal to x3 her Intelligence (15, so 45 feet; adding in the rogue ability to Dash as a bonus action meant my total movement per round was 135 feet) and much more room to maneuver. I also used a Silver Horn of Valhalla to call up 8 berserkers...who proceeded to climb onto the dragon and hack away at it while I basically kited it around the Astral Sea, since my Move+Dash was faster than its fly speed (80 ft), once again limiting the dragon's attack options.

I would have died instantly to a breath attack, but the DM was chronically unable to roll a 5 or a 6 on its recharge. So between the 8 berserkers I had summoned and my ability to once again sneak attack each round (thanks to all the berserkers functionally being "adjacent" the dragon since they were on it), I managed to kill it in the Astral Plane. I had about 8 hit points by the end.

My character is caught in the Astral, of course, with no knowledge of how to get home. I'm writing some post-game stuff to try and resolve that issue; thus far she's managed to become enslaved to an Efreeti.

Just as a final addendum, I should note that while I've been a Dungeon Master since 2000 or so for various games of D&D, this past campaign is the first time I've actually gotten to play Dungeons & Dragons as a player. Every other time someone would run a game it was always Star Wars or Spycraft or Vampire: the Masquerade or something, which is fine and I did have fun, but I really really REALLY wanted to play D&D.

So the fact that in my very first campaign with my first real D&D character I got to essentially solo two dragons, as well as go out like a boss, is awesome.

Icing on the cake: the dagger I used to kill the dragons was a Dagger of Venom that, when rolling to see its history and stuff, came up with "Prophecy". I got the dagger all the way back in level 5. I was DESTINED to slay these dragons. I was even able to envenom the dagger for the final blow against the Ancient white.

That time I spent eight hours playing 6mm Napoleonics at Division level with a British Army Major/Napoleonic historian.

I've got a couple:
>For the love of god kill me so we can loot this place!"
>"ok"

>"Wait a second don't all dwarves have thermal vision? And as a former merc, I would know how to spot the heat-sigs of that kind of stealth tech wouldn't I?"
>"Oh fuck you're right"

>You insulted the halfling spymaster that we already established is some epic-level bullshit. He magically teleports [name] out of danger for tea. You have to escape the city on your own.

>So I passed the forbidden lore check with like 6 degrees of success right? Awesome, ok so I turn to the marine and say ask if he's a good Alpharius or a bad Alpharius, what happens?"
>"Ummmm... he just kind of stares at you in shock for knowing things you really shouldn't?"

>capture another PC
>'tell me who you are or I will kill you'
>'never'
>blow his head
Kek.

>when I put my dice aside and went out to get laid

But user can't you do both? You can't have a normal life outside of gaming? You can't set aside time from that normal life to game with your friends who also have normal lives?

Am I doing it wrong?

Accidentally got cursed with something in a dungeon.
No one can figure out what the hell it is. The party derails the entire campaign trying to save my character's life from the disease that's spreading all over my body.
(the disease ended up becoming benign and there was a nearby NPC that could fix it that we never bothered asking)
We travel all over the world trying to find a cure for this thing. Traveling to find powerful witches hidden in the corners of the world or old famous apothecaries.
We ask one NPC who everyone points us to, but said NPC gets a very, very terrible knowledge check and manages to not be able to recall what the disease is and gives us a completely different disease.
Tells my character he only has 3 days of life left. The party gathers around my death bed. Character is angered by my god allowing my character to die this way. Curse my god and roll a d100 to commune with him. Actually pull off the 100 roll. He comes to me at night and laughs his ass off and tells me it's just simple skin pigmentation curse. Completely harmless. This is when the DM tells us that pretty much everyone we asked kept fucking up their knowledge checks and mislead them into thinking it was something else.

When as a GM I put subtle hints to previous campaigns in the current one, and the players recognize the easter egg.

>Playing Shadowrun
>Tasked with finding a doctor's daughter that's been kidnapped
>Find someone that could get us info, track him to a fast food joint
>Our face goes inside to talk to him, I stand outside near the door (playing a street samurai, lots of dakka)
>Face fucks up the talk, eventually some insane customer gets up and attempts to shoot the target
>Target thinks face is working with the deranged shooter, plus he actually owns the place, apparently
>Cashiers pull out guns, turrets open, private security enter from back.
>It's my time to shine
>Barge in, toss grenade in back, eventually gun down security. Face and our stealth member drag out target.
>Grenade starts a grease fire
>We ride away from burning restaurant, interrogate the target. Eventually spills where the girl is
>She's tied up in the freezer at the restaurant
>FUCK
>Get the order to turn around, I'm riding behind our van
>Return to find the store in a blaze, gangs approaching to loot the remains
>Open fire with all the machine guns strapped to my moped while stealth guy sneaks behind to the freezer

We got her out, but the whole thing had us going insane. This was only the beginning for a short but insane campaign.

Our usual DM had this one HUGE 7 hour session with like 9 people one time. He'd been building up to this event since the beginning of the campaign and he went all out.

There was a war between two nations on this island and were were part of a neutral faction trying to end it.

My character was a cowardly elven druid who was part of a secret society within the mailman guild. He was invited to a fancy party at a noble's mansion. He had some things to discuss with an emissary of the postmasters' guild. I was the only one invited (with 2 guests), so naturally the rest of the party snuck along as well.

Now this noble wasn't a great guy. When we entered the mansion, we noticed he had allied with the "bad" kingdom, and a general was there at the party. Also, he had elven slaves handing out drinks. So pretty much immediately I was planning on strangling this noble. But im a sly dude so I play along for awhile.

The party split up into 3 groups. One group is basically the comic relief characters in the group, who spend their time during sessions being wacky and having fun. The wackiest of them found himself in a duel with hand crossbows - old western style - in the courtyard. It was a good diversion.

The other group, made up of our half-orc barbarian and the well-meaning but stubborn paladin dmpc, was sneaking into the party and laying out kegs of gunpowder in the cellar.

My group was everyone who liked to RP very seriously. (our dm is great at not only hosting a ton of people, but people with wildly different playstyles too) We finally get a chance for conversation with the noble who invited me. The evil kingdom general and some soldiers come take part in the conversation as well.

(1/3)

To my surprise, the noble's actually being strongarmed into the deal, and my conversation was more with the general than with the noble. He begins trying to cut a deal with the postmasters guild. If we support them in the war, they'll lift the blockade guarding the island, allowing the postmasters to come and go freely.

The postmasters guild that my druid was in actually has a secret aim to make sure the flow of mail and information across the world continues unhindered. The guy fucked up telling me it was his kingdom keeping people from getting to/off the island. I tell him sure, I'll just need a way to contact my superiors. I'll need a way off the island in the first place in order to do so.

I didn't realize it at the time, but the rest of the players thought I was turning on them, and that there would be some pvp soon. To my friend's credit, he still kept his mouth shut and played along despite doubting my allegiences.

During the conversation, the noble is just completely stressed. He wants nothing to do with this, and is a total weak-ass coward. The enemy general hates him, but needs his money. He explains this to me, and I told him "who needs money, when information is power". The general agreed to my statement, and swung across the desk and clocked the noble real fuckin hard. Despite him being my enemy, I'm hoping I can get him to kill the noble, who I hate even more with his elven slaves.

(2/3)

So back to the gunpowder plot group. Barbarian and Paladin finished up with the kegs in the cellar, and decided to climb up the building to see if they can find my character and see what i'm talking about.

And naturally, when they see the enemy soldiers making conversation with their allies, they bust through the sky window. The paladin locks eyes with me and i point at the general and shout that he's a fucking general of the enemy kingdom. With a gleam in her eyes, she whips around and starts kicking his ass. Before long, it's total chaos. A few more party members have come to investigate the commotion. Everyone was kung-fu fighting. I'm dodging around trying to heal and buff everyone.

After my group slaughters the general and his soldiers, i grab the noble by the collar and told him he was going to throw his full monetary support behind our cause. He meekly agrees. We all hear a boom. We forgot about the gunpowder. We flee the building before the whole damn thing catches fire. I save all the elf girls.

Since the noble's fortune was burned down (and the rest of it having been stolen by us prior), he's really no use to us anymore and I start planning how I'm gonna strangle him in secret, though it never ended up working out that way.

The session was just a ton of fun. Almost everyone got some kind of spotlight at one point or another. I got to be a sly dude tricking the enemies into telling me exactly what I want. I got to be vengeful and intimidating to someone who had wronged me. And I got to free some elven slaves who think i'm the coolest now.

My favourite is me being kind of annoying to the GM, but it just felt so good

>The team is non-magical
>Siergiei, god of Wolves pesters us for his amusement
>Decide that we don't want to live a life on the run
PlebsGonFightAGod.roll
>after some preparations, we go to a forest, set up and taunt the fucker
>"Howls die down, as you notice movement between the trees. Siergiei slowly walks out, his form somewhere between human and feral, wearing nothing save for a loincloth. He exits the forest in front of you, user, and strides forward, smirking. He brushes your boarspear aside and.."
>"Um, actually, When he walks to about a step in fron of my spear, I thrust with all my might. I aim for the solar plexus"
>"...Alright user, suit yourself. You lunge forth, putting all your weight behind that thrust. It feels like hitting a wall, the spear tip barely grazing the god. You see a small tricle of his golden blood, he stops and chuckles: 'I didn't expect you'd actually go through with this" and then slaps your spear aside and jumps at you"
cue epic fight scene

>"He jumps away from you, in the middle of the clearing. 'I see you are eager to fight. You could achieve great things, should you join me in my hunt' he says, looking at you one by one, 'I..'"
>"Does he actually look at us separately?"
>obviously annoyed "Yes user, he does"
>"Well then I stab him between his ribs with my spear while he isn't looking at me"
>"He's in the middle of the glade!"
>"I have a 2.5 meter boarspear"
>"Fine. 'I could give you great power, you know, you just need to' says Siergiei, but is interrupted by user's spear embedding itself between his ribs"
another fight scene, bitchboy teammate betrays us, and then another god, who has some beef with Siergiei and was somewhat friendly last time we met him shows up, and takes over the fight.

I talked to the GM and apologised for interrupting his BBEG speech. He said he understands, and that it was consistent with my character. (Pokaj was a down to earth, jovial commoner, who, being a commoner, has no "knightly" honor. The Rational Guy, and apparently, leader of the group.) We got a laugh out of it.

>"Sorry, but this is the Tol'Calen Empire, not an anime"

So I was joining a group to play Mage the Ascension, and I took my brand new hardcover 2nd edition rule book with me.
I sat down at the table, and the GM looked at me with disdain, as did the rest of the group. I then noticed for the first time that they all had the first edition of the game in front of them.
"You idiot," the GM said with a sneer, "we only use first edition rule here, get out."
I got up from the table, trying to fight back the tears, when suddenly the door to the room burst open!
It was the White Wolf Secret Police!
They had their guns drawn and took careful fire, and took down each person in the group with a single headshot. Soon I was the only one left standing, surrounded with dead bodies, and blood spattering my clothing.
The leader of the squad came over to me, took my book from my hands, wiped the blood off of it, opened it, signed his name, and handed it back.
"Keep up the good fight" he told me, as he and his officers carried away the blood stained copies of Mage first edition.

ok, different group (and real story)
we are playing something from the World of Darkness, doesn't matter what, it isn't important. 2 of the people in the group are the sons of vary conservative christians, who thought I was a member of a satanic cult and trying to get their sons to join.
So one day during play, I am absentmindedly fiddling with a jump rope they had in the garage where we would hold our game sessions, and I tie it into a hangman's noose.
This brings the game to a halt as I then have to teach everyone else how to tie a noose.
One of the guys has a teddy bear of Snuggle the fabric softener mascot bear, and of course Snuggle gets put in the noose. The other end is tied to the garage door, and Snuggle is put on a stool, where if the door opens Snuggle will be lifted off the stool and will hang until he is dead.
So we go back to the game, after we decide that we will take Snuggle off the stool before their father gets home (he being FAR more conservative then his wife)
2 hours later, we are engrossed in the game, and the garage door starts to open
We all look towards the door in shock, not expecting the door to open.
Our shock was MINOR compared to the look on the face of the man behind the wheel of the car, as he sees his sons, and their friends, taking part in a game he doesn't approve of, and a teddy bear hanging by a noose from the garage door. And we all look like we are up to something.
I don't think he was ever convinced we weren't trying to sacrifice the teddy bear to some dark lord.

Gas the Whites, Drake War now!

I had the opposite problem. I was getting laid, and then we picked up dice and I got Cuck McGucked

Your DM gives you evil alignment shifts for fleeing from battle?

>need a quest giver NPC
>decide on a super powerful wizard intent on saving the world from an ancient evil
>he's a bit of a haughty dude, being a powerful wizard and all
>party hates him immediately
>decides they're going to kill him
>he becomes the BBEG

Being a dick literally doomed the in game world. It was super unexpected and great.

>Player's Dragonborn character loves jewelry
>Anything with a gemstone, he wears instantly
>They fight a group of enemies, including 1 wizard
>Said wizard is wearing a lot of jewelry
>It's all got various magical benefits, but they're also all cursed
>He throws every single one of them on without doing any sort of check for magic

He knows they're cursed now, and just wanted them for the jewelry aspect and plans on getting all the magical effects removed on them

>kleptomaniac
>good
>thief

Pick two.

Other than that, noice.

Doesn't kleptomaniac imply thief? What's the point of picking 2 when two of the options are redundant?

Kind of? Kleptomania means you have brain problems. Thief means you steal. They can and probably do overlap, but theoretically you could be a virtuous kleptomaniac that self-denies like a motherfucker, and obviously you can be a thief without having that particularly brain problem.

>Playing a low-level, low-magic world
>I'm DMing as a shady trader who "might" have ties to pirates.
>1 PC is a bounty hunter
>wants to buy 3 sets of manacles
>"ok I don't have any of those fancy ones but I have 3 basic sets. Normally I charge 6 gp a piece for them but you're a nice guy so I'll cut you a deal. You spread the word that anyone who wants a good deal should come to my shop and I'll sell them to you for just 25 gp."
>other players at the table snap their heads over
>hold up my finger
>keep eyes locked on bounty hunter player
>"I dunno maybe a little lower, I mean I will be looking the other way on your shady dealings too"
>"best I can do is 24, but you have to give me your word you'll tell a lot of people about this place"
>"deal!"
>rest of the players "bruh..."

Thief as in thief by choice/trade/lifestyle.

You can be a kleptomaniac and not a thief - you'd be a mentally ill person.

When I played a one on one session with my girlfriend at the time. Turned into a good world building session, and then into weird roleplay sex. I miss her

Well, I'd say abandoning a teammate to die again a high level enemy that only wanted to attack that certain teammate is not the same as fleeing from battle.

So a kender.

Depends on how much you could reasonably be expected to do to prevent that teammate's death. Not wanting to die for someone else isn't exactly evil. Not wanting to die when it's not even clear your death would prevent anything certainly isn't.

Abandoning us (me and the paladin) to die was a "final step" in an Evil alignment shift. She had in all ways acted selfishly and self-centeredly since her introduction (back at level 9), mostly only working with the party because she was on orders to do so from Larloch. Hence why I said "completed" her alignment shift to Evil.

Oh, yeah, by the way, she worked for Larloch.

Eh, of the two, I pick "good" and "thief", then. Kleptomania is more hyperbole on my part, though not much. Iliira was more concerned with undertaking "big" thefts than stealing little things. She wanted to be known as someone who robbed a giant's castle or a dragon's horde, become known as the greatest thief on the sword coast - admittedly, deep down, because she wanted people who met her to say "it's Iliira the thief! The one who took Arauthator's horde!" instead of "AHHHHHHH DROW KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!"