/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

Ork Militant edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
>Now in Homebrew megafolder

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)

Old Thread: Would you play a game where the players are genestealer cultists?

At how many Corruption Points should my regimental Commissar execute the PC's? All my player characters have recently taken a lot of corruption points and a few of them have one or two malignancies, I'm just wondering at what point it would be best to simply execute them?

Depends on how well they can hide their malignancies from the Commissar.

So what are the power level comparisons of each game, characterwise? Are DH chars and OW chars approximately equals

Broadly:
DH: Low power scum bags who later become death gods.
OW: Low power scum bags who may or may not have a goddamn tank
RT: Competent but narrowly skilled. Access to vast resources and a ship.
DW: Ultimate Space Marine Badasses. Equivalent to high level characters of all the other lines.
BC: About RT level, but with some Space Marines and less resources to start.

Characters at the same xp level are going to be sort of comparable, but you have to factor in class and skills a lot. A rank 9 Adept and a starting Space Marine might have the same xp, but the Space Marine will wipe the floor with the Adept in a straight fight, while the adept will have way more useful skills and tricks than the space marine.

>Would you play a game where the players are genestealer cultists?
Yea, I'd dig it.
No real number, if he notices any mutations or things that suspend belief, blam.

What's a good ability to give to a relic power fist called The Gauntlet of Domon.

>The Gauntlet of Domon.
>Domon
Burning Finger: A character attacking with this weapon can ignore an enemy's Toughness bonus derived soak equal to his willpower bonus.
Heat Extend: Can be fired as a twinlinked combi-heavy flamer.
Heat End: Can be fired as a meltagun, taking up 3 rounds of the heavy flamer clip.
>THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST

>The Winds of the King!

>KEYRETSU!

I was definitely thinking some kind of punching ability, triggered by the player intoning a certain "hymn" to the fist but I wasn't sure what to do.

I wish there was a relic history generator somewhere, because the outline of a history could inspire more details, which in turn could inspire an ability.

Ignoring toughness with WPB is pretty good though.

>Ignoring toughness with WPB is pretty good though.
It actually already has precedent.
There were chainswords in the DH1e Blood and Faith supplement that ignored some toughness soak.

Yeah, I think I'll use that, and give a damage bonus, both only applying to daemons. Make Saint Domon a human who used the fist to strike down a Greater Daemon.

Wondering if it'd be too excessive or overpowered My group is pretty flexible, so overpowered is the greater concern to also give it an unnegatable parry against daemons of a certain daemonic trait level or higher. (The Bloodthirster's you cannot dodge or parry his blow at all ability being what I have in mind specifically).

I wouldn't really be concerned about that because powerfists are rarely a go to item unless you are in terminator armor, and terminator armor is 2nd to artificer if you are looking at it from an optimizing pov.

Hey anons, how often does a re-rollable 43 suceed?

67.51% of the time

About 70%.
By and large, unless you are at 25 or less, it's better to use fate to reroll rather than boost the roll.
Yeah, this guy, yeah...

Thanks user! Just made a Missionary and was wondering, since he has 33 Willpower.

>enemy has two force fields
>players overloaded the first
>few rounds later, another attack connects
>"Hang on, let me roll for the second force field"
>Player's face
it was a good session

user, you know you can' have more than a single force field active on a single creature at once, right? The strongest one takes precedent.

It's interesting because the genestealer HQ's already fit into RPG archetypes.

Hey anons, I finished making my character for Rogue Trader, what do you think of him?

Lord Lucius Jerall
Rank 1 Missionary
10 Wounds
7 Insanity Points
3 Fate Points

WS: 42 BS: 32 S: 42 T: 43 Ag: 44 Int: 32 Per: 39 WP: 33 Fel: 43

Noble Born
Savant Zealot
Dark Voyage
Vengeance

Items:
Good Chainsword (+5WS)
2xGood Hand Flamer (Reliable)
Best Guard Armor (AP5 all, 5.5kg)
Best Refractor Field (30, overloads on 1)
Ecclisiarchal robes
Aquila Pendant
Sepulchre
Censer and incense
Micro-bead

Skills:
•Common Lore (Imperial Creed, Imperium) (Int)
•Forbidden Lore (Heresy) (Int)
•Literacy (Int)
•Medicae (Int)
•Scholastic Lore (Imperial Creed) (Int)
•Speak Language (Gothic, High, Low) (Int) (Trained)

Talents:
•Basic Weapon Training (Universal)
•Flame Weapon Training (Universal)
•Melee Weapon Training (Universal)
•Pure Faith
•Unshakeable Faith
•Hatred (Pirates)
•Peer (Academic, Nobility, Ecclisiarchy)
•Resistance (Fear)

I think he knows that. He said the first one overloaded.

Where is that from? I'm genuinely curious.

Fairly average, honestly.
There is far less variance in RT characters than most people realize. It really depends on the group and game to give them life.

Just for future reference, you should always re-roll instead of adding 10 if your probability of success is within 12-88 percent.

I personally consider adding the 10 to be acceptable in a base roll of 65+.

But I get both the 10 and the re-roll.

How can I/can I even convert/move a character from one game to another, I'm trying to mash together characters from Only War, Rogue Trader, and Dark Heresy into a single Rogue Trader game.

I mean you can do whatever you want. In terms of probability, you have a better chance of success if you re-roll instead of adding 10, though.

It's not real significant, I just like probability and odds. Like re-rolling 65% yields 87.75% as opposed to rolling 75%.

So what, you use 2 fate points at once? Or do you just get them for another reason?

I've only done or, not and.

In the RT core book, they have a guide for transferring DH characters. As for OW to RT, use your best judgement. As for plot, there is always a bar to meet at.

My GM does this as well.
As far as I'm aware in DH2e, there is no restriction on spending fate to add +10, and then rerolling it as well, only spending fate to reroll again.

My Talents, Pure Faith and Unshakeable Faith grant a +10 Willpower against Fear and re-roll failed Fear tests.

Is DH 2E compatible with any of the other games given how much less structured it is

This is such a bad idea that it hurts.

Just use your best judgement since a character in DH with equal amount of XP is way stronger than a RT one.

I've played that way as well, I just usually don't do that, because muh fate points

Huh. Enjoy your bonuses, I guess.

So as a general question what the fuck was FFG thinking when they made these games so god damn wonky, changing tiny things for each to make them tedious to combine?

Yeah, I like the Missionary career. Te only one with a higher Fellowship than I is the Tau player, but he's a Tau so his Fellowship will be down the drain with the masses.

Also in what fucking world do the shitty half-perks you start with in rogue trader add up to 4500 Xp points?

Reposting from last thread.

Alright /40krpg/, time to share some homebrew. This is a conclave I've used for my DH games in a homebrew sector I run and which I've finally expanded beyond three line concepts. Lots of context is lost on you because it refers to other material I've written, I know. But since I intend for these write ups to be able to be taken as written and any references to be like the obscure references in the 40k rulebooks and codexes.

Either way, thoughts? Criticism? Autistic screeching? I'd love to hear it because I've been staring at it so much I'm probably not seeing the flaws. And if you like them, feel free to adapt them for your own games.

Tell me about your worst Perils rolls, /40krpg/

Is there any equipment that improves shadowing?

The daemon prince periled and summoned a daemon prince.

Was it himself?

>summoned himself

I actually haven't had any bad ones, but I did roll Breath Leech while some Big Fuckers were trying to charge me. Gave me enough time to retreat, which saved my life.

I've got an octogenarian RT who's an overconfident buffoon, usually ignorant of anything but the most obvious goings-on, and with a tendency to come up with the most godawful plans of action. His only saving graces are his relative invincibility, bravery, and mind-boggling capability to convince other people that his bad ideas are good ones.

He survived being burned at the stake by jilted former colonist-employees because he yelled at them to stop horsing around and get back to work until they became too confused to continue with the execution.

The psyker managed to get the maximum duration and near maximum radius on a mass possession in the middle of a firefight in an enclosed space. Thats 20 consecutive rounds of pass a willpower test or gain corruption and be unable to do anything. Lots of malignancies all around on that one, apart from the assassin who managed to start legging it the second it started.

Same pysker did almost exactly the same thing 4 or 5 sessions later. Nobody actually hit the 100 corruption mark, but two characters, including mine, had be retired from having 80-90 corruption and the accumulated penalties from malignancies and mutations making them functionally unplayable.

It wasn't himself. There were four "Daemon Princes" in name, who ended up being special ed chaos power rangers, one for each god, calling themselves the lifeguards (opposite of deathwatch). The fifth was a chaos squat bound to a chaos decimator. We only fought the berzerker, noise marine, plague marine, and sorcerer at first, because one of us couldn't make the session and there was only three of us. The decimator was behind the veil of the warp, pounding angrily. Now, this was deathwatch, but they were still powerful daemon princes, powerful enough to two-shot us. Halfway through the battle, the sorcerer daemon prince bungled his perils of the warp, rolled like two 99's in a row, and got sucked into the warp himself, replacing himself with the chaos decimator. We had barely any anti-vehicle weapons so it became a hairy fight.

Not mine, but 100/100

Just give it the daemonbane trait from 2e Enemies Beyond.

Depending on how far back it goes, only equipment may be compatible with some translation to near-straight porting.

Wait, isn't this from republican commando?

>30% chance of Righteous Fury
>The target does not get any toughness bonus
I must have misread it before, because I don't remember it being that strong. Toughness is all non-Khorne daemons have!

well, we were recruited from Veeky Forums.

Look at Anointed Weapons from the Daemon Hunter book

Try using 2e daemons as they shit all over daemons stated in other lines, particularly since only daemonic beasts seem to lack armor.

Daily reminder that in 2e, demons don't have Stuff of Nightmares and can thus be killed with poisons.

They don't have Stuff of Nightmares, but they do have Undying included in the Daemonic trait meaning that no, they can't be killed with poisons. Unless if it was holy oils and stuff that counted as Toxic against daemons.

Right, it was the Blood Loss.

You can kill them via cutting off their limb.

How else are you supposed to get daemon skulls and stuff?

Don't forget that you can knock them unconscious with your fists.

It's literally easier to punch a demon to death than kill them with any weapon since they take automatic Fatigue per hit.

On what planet is the Sanctic Hammer not the super obvious choice here? What am I missing?

Going back all the way to 1e, only some Master class daemons have SoN. Some Elites might have them too, but SoN is reserved for big things.

The part where it's currently broken and in the warp according to its own lore

>Sanctus
>Inquisitor Augustine commissioned Sanctus to amplify her and her followers’ considerable martial skills. Crafted from unusually
lightweight materials, each long-handled hammer still packs the same punch as its heavier cousins. Beyond its use in melee, each
Sanctus hammer holds a secret within: a small chamber loaded with purified promethium that gives the hammer a hidden burst of explosive might.
>A Sanctus hammer is a two-handed weapon. It also includes an exterminator cartridge (see page 163 of the Dark Heresy Core Rulebook) loaded with Incinerator ammunition (see page 40).

Is there more fluff elsewhere? Also that would imply there's one, and that's it's unique, not near unique. The fluff above also mentions multiples.

That is the Realitus.

Whoops my bad, I figured that the most overpowered one would be the one that got fucked

What might one expect to find on a desert world in the Screaming Vortex?

One of them blocks psychic powers

Sand, daemons, sandy daemons, atomics, sandy atomic daemons, and war

Sandy atomic daemon wars?

That's the Ebernus which lacks force, and thus, if you're a psyker, the crazy potential damage that comes with it.

But yeah, the Ebernus would give the Sanctus a run for its money if you're not a psyker.

Sure.

how does one go about playing a seneschal? particularly useful weapons/talents to take?

In 2e, since all psycannons are of at least Good quality, does that mean that the test to get one is -70 with 50 being from Near Unique and 20 from Good quality modifier?

You are there to provide information and insight, not firepower. You are the Daniel Jackson of your team. Your job is to find out everything there is to know about the problem facing you so that you can better overcome it. Knowledge skills are your bread and butter, but skills that let you gain even more knowledge are also veyr important. Tech-use and Security let you gain access to things; Logic and Scrutiny let you make sense of what knowledge you have. Peers are a great way to gain access to information as well as support and equipment.

You are the brains, not the brawn. Carry something to defend yourself in case of emergency, but your main weapon is information.

was mean for

Anyone here play Hand of Corruption? How'd it go?

Also worth noting is that DW Space Marines pay several times the cost anyone else pays for most advances, and with their geneseed and basic training being counted as equivalent to 12000 XP, mortals at equivalent XP to Marines will usually run circles around them. Black Crusade marines, on the other hand, are only at a disadvantage of 500XP vs mortals, which is a steal for all the bonuses geneseed offers, though they do get far fewer starting skills and talents than BC mortals.
Kickass image, by the way.
So basically Sanctified, and versus Daemons it gains Fleshbane and loses Unwieldy? I'd do without "unnegatable parry" since it can't parry to begin with anyway.
>Make Saint Domon a human who used the fist to strike down a Greater Daemon.
Artificer and Terminator aren't really expected of mortals, who do use power fists without power armor all the time, and if you're coming at things from an Astartes optimizing pov (which IMO is the wrong way to come at relic creation) then powerfists are shit anyway since Chainfists outclass them for Terminators and Thunder Hammers outclass them for everyone.
If it's important, it can be worth spending one to boost and another to reroll. You could even spend one to reroll and boost the reroll, but it'd be silly when you could boost both rolls by spending to boost before the first roll.
Yeah, the Assault Marine nailed it for upwards of a hundred damage and it shielded but overloaded. He managed to smack it again later, at which point the second shield came into effect.
Even with RT's Astartes-tier starting characteristics?
>spending fate to add +10, and then rerolling it as well, only spending fate to reroll again
You can only reroll any given roll once, user. You can spend to boost and then reroll, whether by talent or by spending a second, but you can't spend just one for the boost and the reroll, nor spend to reroll when you've already rerolled.

They were thinking "this is good but we can make it better." They were thinking "let's iron out the kinks instead of just repackaging the same thing over and over."
Opinions vary on how well they succeeded.
A world where Rogue Trader's Explorers have far higher starting characteristics than Dark Heresy 1e's Acolytes, along with substantially better equipment and access to unique talents.
I haven't really had many bad ones, but I did rather enjoy when my borderline-Feral Shrine World Desperado tried to use Assail to knock down an incoming Plague Zombie but got a 99, failing to manifest the power but triggering Phenomena. It would have just made the architecture weep blood, but the Astra Telepathica background bonus let me shift it to a localised earthquake, knocking down all the zombies in the building instead of just the one thanks to their shit Agility. It also knocked ME down, despite my pretty good Agility, but the rest of the cell kept their footing, and had a little breathing room now.
There was also a Deathwatch game where we were frantically trying to put out our Predator Annihilator after Orks set it on fire and we killed them. The Librarian manifested the Hoarfrost phenomenon somehow, but sadly cooling the area and putting a thin layer of ice crystals over everything was not enough to save Predator-chan.
Kek, that always seems to happen-
Oh. Hello there Battle-Brother.
It has happened to other teams too, though. I find it hilarious when rival Princes end up tag-teaming the PCs.
>He survived being burned at the stake by jilted former colonist-employees because he yelled at them to stop horsing around and get back to work until they became too confused to continue with the execution.
Magnificent.
Huh, I never thought to try that before. It's actually pretty fucking metal.

Check the fluff entries, they have more rules text that doesn't fit the special qualities. I recall something about the Animus hammer boosting PR.
What the other guys said, but also bunkers with hardbitten survivors with questionable loyalties to any cause, eroded hulks that once were tanks and other machines of war, and of course mummies.
I still maintain that this motherfucker is a Daemon Prince of Nurgle.
Get yourself some form of cane weapon just for classiness - RT has a bolter cane, DH1e has an appropriately pricey powersword cane in the Hive section of the Inquisitor's Handbook. You're the accountant everyone knows better than to fuck with, the man the RT turns to when he needs to know something. You're no slouch in combat, and in fact you're one of the few careers to get access to Counter Attack, but you work better as a COME AT ME BRO than someone getting up in the enemy's face - Full Auto weapons are your friend, of course, and Overwatch will let you control the battlefield with a decent ammo supply even without good Ballistic Skill, but iirc you're geared more towards choppy than shooty, and more towards talky and thinky than choppy.

>tfw my GM let my melee Missionary start with a Best quality Rosarius and Hand Flamers alongside his chainsword
Oh boy

Any idea what I should try to get with my +0 aquisition? Maybe a Power Sword.

>tfw GM let my melee Missionary ster wth a Best quality Roasarius and a Good Power Sword
I shall be unkillable, and Parry at 62 WS.

What changes would you make to Dark Heresy to make it into a Genestealer game?

What is a good way to balance out shopping time? Give player a few out of session rolls with in-session, in-character chances if they want to get something in particular?

>Even with RT's Astartes-tier starting characteristics?
Haha what

You start with 25+2d10 like most of the lines. Having the ability to spend XP as you choose is broken as fuck though.

Nasty. Pick up Combat Master quick so that you don't get taken out by mooks ganging up and using up your reactions.
Re-fluff the Hive Mutant to be a Hybrid. Offer specific mutations to that origin as elite advances, growing extra limbs and feeder tendrils and such. Not entirely keeping with fluff, but slowly transitioning into some kind of horrible gribbly would be fun.
For neophytes, give them a background package that gets them deceive, some infiltration skills and a bonus to fear checks so long as they're within the Cult's influence.
I'd probably disallow Tech Priests and Sanctioned Psykers, but make a low psy rating and telepathy available as elite advances too.
Basically, I'd make the split between Hybrids and neophytes similar to the split between CSM and heretics in Black Crusade, but closer in power level. Hybrids find it difficult, but not impossible, to operate in the open, while neophytes lack their raw power.
Generally, I ask characters to think of what wacky gear they want to get out-of-session, then work in ways for them to try and get it in session if I'm so inclined. I really prefer to just let my players have whatever "basic" gear they want, and make the more exotic stuff earned as a reward for completeing their missions.
I thought you still had to do at least 1 point of damage to cause fatigue? Or am I mis-remembering?

>I thought you still had to do at least 1 point of damage to cause fatigue? Or am I mis-remembering?
Depends on the game line.

Holy shit! I just checked my 1e corebook and you're absolutely right. I've been playing that wrong for years. I might have to change that...

OW and 2e fix it just fine.

Gotta do damage equal to or greater than their TB to inflict the fatigue.

That change actually started with the 1e errata. From then on it was needing to do TB or more damage to inflict fatigue.

You can also do it in OW and 2e still if you get a Righteous Fury.

Just punch people so hard that you knock them out through their armor some how.

Ahh, okay, we must have incorporated the errata at some point then.
Dang. I dunno, I think the tactical option of trying to inflict a point of fatigue instead of full damage is interesting... but I guess it gets kind of silly with things like lightning attack and just bare knuckle boxing your opponent to unconsciousness in a flurry of blows every round.

A lot of Impact based RF can cause fatigue, but the target only takes fatigue from the attack itself if it did damage greater or equal to their TB.

If you get a RF, the attack automatically does 1 damage at base.

Better to invest in grappling as damaging an opponent in one guarantees fatigue regardless if you do damage.

No, it does 1 damage if the attack would have otherwise been completely negated by TB and armor with no further effect.

Any crit effects require the attack to have done at least 1 point of damage past TB and armor.

What happens with fatigue threshold / unconsciousness when your TB is higher than 10?

In most lines, you're in a loop of being between conscious and unconscious until an hour or six has passed.

2e core has that issue too, but was finally fixed in the errata.