Which magic system would be the best for a magic academy game?

Which magic system would be the best for a magic academy game?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/ECcKF
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just the magic system?
Rip it from mage the awakening or ars magica.

>mage the awakening

Yeah, I was thinking that's probably the best option.

The kill yourself wizard schools are totally gay system

'arry po'ah

That's the best part

Is that animu any good?

It's fun. Second episode had metamagic lesson.

And?

My subjective opinion based on the first episode: trash tier. I feel the season reviews on ANN are largely spot on, though they also like to harp about the (admittedly ridicuous) girls' uniforms.

ANN reviewers are almost never right.

Oddly enough, these answers are both correct.

This is the perfect choice.

Barring that I would actually suggest GURPS. Just use the sorcerous empowerment ideas and develop a game revolving around magic and spells

GURPS is a nice system, but it often requires too much work.

I like Sorcery but I'd edit it so that players have to buy specific categories like with Incantation magic.

Sorry, OP I'm just imagining how uncomfortable and inconvenient those uniforms would be to wear for any length of time.

This kind.

now that's a thing I haven't gone through in a while
Granted I've only read the visual novel
Is the other stuff any good?

I know, right? That was my first thought when I looked at them, too! Those skirts are so short they'd be showing off their everything the moment they sat down or bent over.

That's because in setting wombs are crazy good mana reactors and they work best if not covered with clothes.

I'm not even joking.

haha what

That sounds retarded.

I bet you would show your belly for +20% mana regen too.

The book from Bible Black (in a generic form) was actually given stats in World of Darkness: Reliquary. Could very well be used in Mage: the Awakening!

look at these virgins over here.

They don't even know about hysteromancy.

Sex and female sexual organs are connected with sorcery since ancient times. I don't see how anyone could be surprised by that.

>justifying slutty mage clothing
>justifying powerfull female spellcasters

It's weird but I dig it.

I seriously wonder how magic academies worked in older DnD versions where lv1 mage can cast one spell per day.

FATAL

What's this, Little Witch Academia for NEETs?

It depended on setting, but generally, bardic academies and wizard schools focused more on theory than practice. The Lady's College in Silverymoon in the Forgotten Realms setting, for example, paid more attention to the economics of magic item crafting than the practicing of spells actually used to craft them.

They studied and practiced focusing their magical energy all day using magical exercises that didn't actually have enough power to have an effect on the world so that they could attempt to cast one spell a day.

Imagine actually having the power to cast Unseen Servant, or autohitting mind bullets that can kill legitimately kill a normal peasant, or to shoot a fan of fire from your fingertips. That ain't nothing even though WoW lineage powergamers have ruined everything about RPGs with their blase attitude toward tabletop.

Let's design one right now?

First of all, I'll assume since its an academy, we would want spellcasting to be based around intelligence, instead of anime-styled willpower. That is not to say willpower might not be important, but only in so far as maintaining concentration, or outputting enough magic juice, not actually giving you epic mcguffin spells.

Taking a few hints from various pop culture, you'd want to be able to write spells down, read and speak them, do complicated hand movements, remember spells, and research new spells. Most of this has to do with intelligence, and a bit of dexterity. So at the very least you'd want seperate abilities/skills/attributes for

Memory, Linguistics, Abstraction, Logic, Awareness, Intuition, Concentration, Vizualisation, Learning, Creativity, Recognition,

then probably throw in different Knowledge categories, or maybe more subtle types of intelligence if you want players to be able to specialize in spells, and at the end some sort of spell mana/slots/material system.

A skill check system is pretty simple, and you could do it by combining the different categories. As an academy system, I suggest you make a shit-ton of spells that players can learn, instead of giving them totally free-reign to make their own spells (as this is completely unrealistic as freshman students in any field except pseudoscience, or you are an unmatched genius). You'd want wizard names, funning sounding ones, from different eras, and some sort of mythological origin for magic that shouldn't be too well understood (like the big bang, the details sort of break when we look at it too closely). Also creative use of spells and contests will probably be the strong point in an academy game, apart from roleplaying as students pulling pranks and getting in trouble.

from the top of my head, maybe something like +modifiers to dice rolls (just ripping off dnd here) from different skills, and having them count in different ways

Minor Levitation, DC: 16
Skills: Visualization, Intuition, Awareness
Max Bonus from each skill: +2

and you probably want a massive miscast table for the types of spells, maybe even schools of spells for the knowledge stuff

>and you probably want a massive miscast table for the types of spells

Miscasts are one of the worst rpg invention.

You don't have gigantic tables on what happens if warrior fucks up a sword swing.

OP, just choose a system you like that would fit the setting.

Actually, in some systems you do.

But I agree.

ANN reviews are always terrible.
Take the time you'd use to read retards' opinions to actually watch anime.

Miscasts are not one of the worst rpg inventions, warriors are. Martial classes have always been dumb as shit when there is magic around, and miscasts are there to balance it out, but also make the game more fun. Miscasts are a real fucking thing, especially when we are talking about academic style magic, as it is analogus to an engineer getting a shitty estimate for the upper bound on the stress excerted on a support and the entire oil platform going to hell a few years after, or having too little too much power etc. A miscast doesn't have to result in TPK, but in unforeseen consequences.

This shit has a quite interesting magic system going on actually.

Shame casts based on number of verses wouldn't translate well into turn based combat.

>Martial classes have always been dumb as shit when there is magic around

Absolutely true.

Trying to balance magic and mundane classes is a nightmare.

is filename source? what is source

See OP pic.

Ars Magicka

Which is why I suppose making a system where you say fuck off to all martial shit, and instead delve deep into all types of academic intelligence and build character customization around that. It will also be more fun for the DM, as they can pull spells out of their ass left and right. The only issue here is not making moonrune logic puzzles with mcguffin solutions.

The solution to normal fags swinging swords being crap compared to mages is just making sword swinging mages.

sure you can do that, but then you come dangerously close to willpower based magic, like in Wheel of Time, and then it stops being an academic setting. I have many friends in hard sciences who are fit as fuck, and you can be strong and smart at the same time, but in the academic setting, their maximum deadlift weight cannot be used to show why the absolute value of the laplace of a function as taken to a power going towards infinity still has a solution.

isn't that just Little Witch Academia

This sounds like a good idea actually. An almost complete disregard for physical stats. Sure you can have the body of an athlete, but if you are sitting down reading books all day to not fail the exams your muscles are going to atrophy. At the same time, you need to stay healthy enough not to die, so basically every PC can be considered average in fitness, and then just pull that shit under the rug.

I don't see why they couldn't spend 1 hour a day exercising.

Especially if its' a school and it can just be obligatory.

spending 1 hour a day exercising does not make you anywhere near athlete level. Real-life athletes only train, watch their diet, rest, and compete. That's their entire life, quite literally.

I was trying to hold some form of respect towards the series after episode two, but that shit is too magical realm.
It's shit like that that ruins Fate too.

Yes. But you don't need to be some Olympic class athlete to be a good warrior.

Fate is ruined by a lot more than magical realm.

Do you want to know how I figured out you've only played pathshit?

I never played Pathfinder and hate d20 systems for years.

This shit exists everywhere.

I didn't say they aren't terrible. I said they were right, compared to what I saw in the first episode.

Granted, you didn't say they were wrong, either.

LWA is for the children

The ONLY caveat I would have to say is in systems where 'martials' are also inherently and explicitly magical.

Some guy with a sword is just some jackass. But someone blessed by a god, or making a pact with a demon for battle prowess, or just channeling their inner magical forces through their punch allows for diversity without being overpowered by wizards.

And the party with demigods and people making pacts with devils go on a quest to kill 5 kobolds?

Sorry but this shit still doesn't work.

discord.gg/ECcKF
Get in the car, muggles; were' goin' witching.

It's seriously too childish. I got bored after few episodes.

You're dead inside.

>And the party with demigods and people making pacts with devils go on a quest to kill 5 kobolds?
Do you ban Warlocks if you run 5E?
Do you make players fight 5 Kobolds if you run Exalted?

If every warrior needs to be a half god champion so he can compete with mages you know something is wrong. Especially since most parties have more martials than casters.

Mage the Awakening but kill paths and orders. You choose which classes your character is good at and which they're bad at, and they join what clubs are at the school.

Can you even make a real sword mage in MtA?

>sword mage
Pic doubly related

Here's a very early version of a system that someone came up with here on Veeky Forums for just that sort of game.

There's also a patch that cleans up the dice system and adds a fairly different sort of HP tracking. Currently they're working on a bunch of tweaks and updates, so a few things are likely to change when that comes out. The goal is something akin to LWA or Harry Potter, with themes of learning from your mistakes, stresses of being a kid, and various slice of life stuff.

Patch rules with dice stuff and emotional stress/condition tracks.

One healing option is "seek comfort in another student" for those who want ecchi stuff like OP