Weird PC choices

Whats the weirdest PC picks you've seen, or perhaps you've even made yourself (compared to everyone else)
Did the DM go for it? Does it work? Is it interesting or just plain weird?

Tell'em

>LG Fighter looks for Sacred Bones that was stolen
>Trail leads him to the Coffin Maker's Shop
>Coffin Maker says "they're" here and listening
>The two exchange letters in silence between one another
>LG Fighter investigates around for the bones and finds 6x4 boxes that say "Junk" on them
>Fighter has a polearm they could've used to open the boxes up
>Fighter instead blindly opens up the box with his hand
>Is ambushed by vampire spawn and many undead, WHILE ALONE
>Survived by GTFO'ing

LG Fighter was me

>be me
>have multiple ideas for characters Ive written down and shelved ages ago
>decide to roll with a Zealot Barbarian gargoyle who's spent a thousand years as a sentry for an unholy evil church and knows little about the outside world and other religions
>has basically the same mannerisms of a hyped up christian evangelist pastor
>setup for leaving the church was it got sacked by the big bad and the gargoyle was also vandalized, leaving 1 arm removed and tail broken off
>has replaced the broken arm with a cannon, tail with a flail on a chain
>I'm in a party with a bunch of elves
>setting is a fantasy world in the middle of its Industrial Revolution
Contrary to the party its pretty out there I guess

Yuan-ti pureblood.

I've played koboldPCs twice now in the same group of ten people and nobody blinks an eye but the fucker who chose to be a goddam snake (wo)man is fucking textbook snowflaker.

Fucker got away with it to, being so damn overpowered.

There was one campaign where the group was composed of
>Elf Ranger (Hunter)
>Half-Elf Warlock (Old One)
>Hound Archon Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
>Rakshasa Rogue (Assassin)
Our adventures ended when we entered Narnia, the Warlock gave himself an aneurysm

Once sat in as a helper-NPC for a friend's game because his group was missing a bunch of people, who didn't seem to care much about it being close to the end. Now, the two who were already in the party were an Elf Cleric and a Dwarf Fighter.
I made a Skeleton Fighter, of course, since it was in an ancient dungeon and wanted to play something fun.
The guy who joined us played an Ape Wizard. It couldn't even speak common, and had to do charades.
In another game, I once played an Oread Barbarian that I called THE BOULDER and played like Macho Man Randy Savage. His entire family were all basically "Mountain," "The Rock," "Gravel," and so on.

bump

>be me
>be preparing a character for a new game
>start thinking of what I have and have not played
>I haven't played a girl in a long while
>I've never played a paladin
>I've never played a gnome.
>huh
>fuck it, let's do it

I played the heart out of a plucky little sun worshipping gnome paladin girl that refused to believe that her god would ever let her down.
I intended her to have a short (heh) run ending in a noble sacrifice, but the party adored her too much and kept saving her, championing her god and cause in the end.

>Woman says she'll provide shelter for party during blizzard in mountains
>Party is killed by crazy weeaboo snow bitch
>The Bard manages to "live", but is now forever trapped in a block of ice while fully aware

the party is a bunch of special snowflake superheroes. Generic powers mostly, and morally kind of self centered.

I made a dude with a back pack full of ball bearings, tear gas canisters, trip wires, various tools, and select other tools.

Of course the party immediately latched on to the fact that i was a "normal" peak human, and they expected me to be an edge lord bat man like character.

Well I did have a bat.

The characters premise was actually a dude who just wanted to genuinely help people out in any way he could, but his power was actually uncontrollably awful luck. He's able to compensate/survive through experience.

No one else was as lucky

he was pretty fun, and I got to pull a lot of creative bullshit using his environmental hazards

So....

I guess Baba Yaga was hungry again, huh?

Weirdest thing that's ever happened in one of my games would have to be when the parties rogue in my D&D game went an entire session using a swordfish as an improvised weapon.

One of the players for today'one shot adventure wanted to play a "McChicken" fighter. I decided to justify this by making his character quarrell with a powerful witch who puts a spell on him. Now everytime he unsheats his weapon there's a 50% chance that it is a chicken

>have to make a demigod fall to appease the fates and earn a favor that would allow us to progress with the main quest
>demigod carries a small sun on his back, lives at the top of a mountain as leader of some monks
>monks are super chill and kind, and the demigod is a pretty cool guy who turned his life around
>none of the party wants to fight him
>start coming up with really convoluted, literal interpretations, like setting up a string trap to make him trip
>The fact that one of the party members is female comes up casually
>someone suggests that they should make the demigod fall "in love"
>So fucking stupid that the DM explicitly says he'll allow this plan to continue
>Dress up the female with robes, put makeup on, the whole shebang
>Rolls nat 1 on the first flirt roll and offends the demigod so much that he kicks her in the fucking face

It was glorious.

>be a cleric
>6 Int
>worship Bud Spencer (who passed away this year rip)
>name my morning star "Terrence" (after Terrence Hill, who played alongside Spencer)
>be going around asking people if they want to meet Terrence
>Hey bard, Terrence wants to hug you!
>Dead_Bard.jpg

>CG Awakened Spider Wizard
>at lvl6, used a feat to get a follower named Jerry, a human warrior who was a complete idiot with 18 STR
It was pretty nice.

>Weeaboo snow bitch
>Jumps to Baba Yaga

user did you respond to the wrong post or did you roll a 1 for Monster Lore and somehow never hear about Yuki-Onna

>be half vamp catfolk ninja in 3.5 (eak furry snowflake i know, just bear with me)
>setting is Naussica and the valley of the wind meets dnd
>launching preemptive assault on telmekian(sp?) airship before it reaches our vally after war were declared.
>rest of the party martials and casters in armor
>they head to rescue the foolhearty half celestial fighter who got captured last session trying to solo this beast of an airship.
>i take my haversack full of simtex and slip off to go fuck shit up.
>find important bits, plant bombs. in. out. unsuspected and undetected.
>only part of the mission that went smoothly but the party made a grade A distraction.
>meet back up on the way to the bridge.
>holy shit nope off demon boss waiting for us.
>slam door and dump the 10 lbs of plastic high EX on the door and wire it.
>guards coming from everywhere.
>half dragon hexblade/kensi canopeners the hull with his crack stick of an ax.
>decompression sucks us out.
>just as planned, we had chuits, featherfall tokens and wings.
>i hit the clackers and a series of explosions rocks the airship.
>it screams towards the ground with every alarm blaring.
>demon on the bridge is giving me in particular the stink eye as he goes down with the ship, still cool as a cucumber.
>smaller airships, ours and theirs, are dogfighting all around us, rolls not to get hit by stray rounds, exploding ships and other hazards.
>lightbulb
"what should i roll to lasso one of these enemy fighters as it almost clips me?"
>get answer and roll, not a nat but close enough for goverment work.
>struggle to not get knocked off by his evasive maneuvers and debris.
>after much adue reach cockpit and tie off before leveling pistol at the pilot "punch out or die!"
>his eyes get big, then even bigger as he looks up.
>mid air collision with another enemy fighter in all the confusion.
>ripped from my saftey line and sucked through a jet engine. spat out at -8 and now falling sans chuit or token.
TBC

>half vamp fast healing wont have me functional before I've already hit the ground and certainly died.
>out of the smoke a wreckage a silver white blur streaks towards the tiny black catman.
>it's the half celestial and my literal guardian angel throughout the whole campaign thus far.
>he tanks hit after hit as he dives, eyes on the prize.
>barely 100 feet from the ground he catches me and uses his racial cure spell.
>awake with a start, wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him full on the mouth. then slump and start sobbing bitter tears.
"i almost had it... i almost had it... shad would have been so proud of me."
>recovers from the unexpected kiss gracefully and just pets me soothingly ensuring me that there will be other chances to steal a gunship in the future.
>chear up a bit and take his offered flask of whisky, passing it back and forth as we watch the airship plummit and crash, debreis falling like rain all around us.
"was best boom so far yes? M'aiq did good."
'yeah, that should slow them down."
"M'aiq was thinking of adding another name, master exploder."
>he shakes his head with weary resignation and a smile.
'master exploder, two worlds M'aiq the lier... has an... ok ring to it.'
"still adding it."
>we watch the airship catch fire and burn waiting for the rest of the arty to link up before we port home.

quite a few interesting choices made that day by all.

That sounds like a riot

>player insists on playing a catgirl
>DM begrudgingly allows it
>player then asks if she can have wings.
>???????

Really really fat cannibal(?) wizard.

Moved only if being pulled by a mount or cart or teleported.

Basically tried to eat any creature if possible. Ate a goblin first session and ended with eating a flesh golem.

Did the big bad really rattle your bones?

> be horse
> not furry, an actual horse
> make a list of traits I would like to get and ask DM to establish which levels I can get them
> buy heavy armor and a horned helmet to attack
> kill enemies by stabbing and stomping them
> enemies get crazy when they see a horse going wild in the field
> party has to buy one less horse

Good times.

>thinking every one is a fucking weeb who knows every yo-kai

fucking hated this part of curse of strahd the whole book was kinda shitty tho

That player is a fucking scum.

Catgirls are good on their own, they don't need some gay wings.

GOOD HORSE CREDIT TO TEAM

half-elf-half-orc-half-dragon-half-demon
just a lot of templates on there

Your best friend was a druid?

I once made a character who was a Warbreed (inspired in a very old computer game).

I was kind of a humanoid dinosaur who was able to steal genetic material from creatures to copy their abilities. The DM allowed as long as I had slots to which genes I can use and enough gene points. I also had an internal database of copied genetics.

I basically built a little book of different dnas, which like when a wizard rest I could choose which genes I wanted to have equipped for the session.

For example, a gene for firebreathing, a gene for a blade arm and a gene for dragonscales.

It was my most fun character. And it didn't feel broken since A) I couldn't use equipment, just genes and B) I could only have another slot when I leveled my custom class accordingly and C) my stats didn't raise naturally, only by equipping certain genes.

Woah. Please elaborate more on this. I have a gm that is very open to new ideas, and i have a character consept i want to try with him but no proper way to make it work, but this sounds brillant

My group has seen its share of wacky characters. We've done a knightly Sir Bearington at one point in a low fantasy campaign. A Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spider, in an Exile/Avernum campaign I ran, following all Spider social mores. A Mycon like mushroom alien in a Star without Numbers campaign that could eat and rebuild cells as he saw fit, including his own cellular structure. In one campaign that we run off and on, high fantasy, everyone has some of magical familiar, which we secretly plan to use to form Voltron as a surprise to the DM.

Well, it was some time ago so I don't remember every detail, but for example:

I started with my character having 1 in every stat (including HP!), a number of gene points and five free slots.

I easily found a dead goblin and copied his HP. Since the goblin is lv 1 and I am lv 1, I was free to freely equip his stats into each of my stats, plus the vitality. So in structure I was a goblin.

I also could equip the goblin individual skills and traits, for example Dark Vision, Move Silently and Hiding. I also gained the Goblin Punch, which is technically just a punch (so I wasn't hopeless). Each required to be at least level 1 plus some gene points.

Then I helped the group defeat a pack of wolves. I copied his genes. Since the wolf is level 1, I replaced the goblin STR, DEX, CON and WIS with the wolf, plus his vitality (which I called VIT).

I then replaced the Goblin punch with the Wolf Bite plus took Track. Later I also equipped Weapon Focus : Bite (when I had more points since I didn't earn XP).

So I ended (using d20 stats) with a level 1 character with STR 13, DEX 15, CON 15, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 6, VIT 2d8+4 (when I changed VIT it got stuck until the end of the session), with:
> Bite
> Weapon Focus: Bite
> Track
> Dark Vision
> Hiding

I had to drop Move Silently until I levelled and got another slot.

Gene points were my XP. I could use them to unlock more abilities, like a wizard casting certain spells (they would then later be free to be equipped, as long as I rested before it) or store like XP in order to level up (which we called evolve).

You know, now I'm not so sure if I gained a slot when I levelled or if I had to buy additional slots, but the price raised with each one brought. I do know that whatever I could copy was limited by LV, but DM was nice to let me store a DNA that I didn't had level to use for when I unlocked it (paying the appropriate points of course).

Interesting.
Could you trade any existing stats for a stat that was better for another monster, or was there a limit to how high your stats could go?

As for the level, how did your gm calculate what monsters you could and could not copy from? CR?

Was there some abilites that was strictly impossible to copy, such as boons granted by gods to some special races and such?

And lastly, had you any chance at gaining spellcaster abilities?

My party had a flame, extremely nerfed Flaming Skull that could only fly around and yodel. It was amazing as a distraction. Plus, it regenerated every day.
So after one fight in a mummy tomb, our bard goes looking for loot and finds canopic jars filled with mummy organs. He proceeds to split the Flaming Skull in half with a hammer and pour the mummy brains into it.
That's how we got the floating skull of an Ancient Pharaoh that spent all his time either providing useful lore or imperiously commanding us to do shit that we immediately ignored.
The best part was that it got more and more mentally unstable as time went on, as it kept dying and we had to keep scooping the mashed up brains into it.

>Could you trade any existing stats for a stat that was better for another monster, or was there a limit to how high your stats could go?
Yes, as long as the monster had a level equal to mine and I paid an ammount of gene points. If however I got a stat which was better than my currently, I could 'adapt' it to give a discount in buying the superior one.
For example, I could trade my wolf STR 13 for an ogre STR 21 only at level 3. I would have to pay an addictive cost for each point of extra STR, with the discount of the STR 13.
I don't remember the exactly value, but suppose it was X+5, it would cost 1380 points with a discount of 455, costing 925xp (or genes).

>As for the level, how did your gm calculate what monsters you could and could not copy from? CR?
Yes, I could only copy monsters which CR was equal to my level. And since I used gene points (or XP) to copy, my level was usually lower than the rest of the party but I compensated that with unique abilities.

>Was there some abilites that was strictly impossible to copy, such as boons granted by gods to some special races and such?
I don't remember such a case, but basically everything was open season as long as I had necessary LV and points. For example, I could copy the wolf racial bonus if I wanted.

>And lastly, had you any chance at gaining spellcaster abilities?
Yes! I eventually copied a mage. However I had to unlock the spells individually, which meant I only got certain spells. And since I was copying the knowledge, I had to adapt them even if I had copied a superior spellcaster. So if I unlocked a mage spell level 1 from a mage lv 1, if I copied a mage lv3 I wouldn't instantly get a spell level 3, I would have to adapt the mage spellcasting before using it. As about charges, the same rules as wizards aplied: number of charges was limited by level.

So as long as you had the points for it, and you met advesaries that were strong enough, your creature could grow indefinetly?

And about the spellcasting, how did you learn to use his spells, as wizards usually uses spellbooks for such?

Could you, lets say, consume an sorcerer and get access to their bloodborne magic immediately?

Also, how did the dna storage work? Sorry for all these questions, this just have me really fired up

>So as long as you had the points for it, and you met advesaries that were strong enough, your creature could grow indefinetly?
Yes, limited only by lv, gene points and the strenght of opponents.

Basically I would never get stronger than a NPC since I could only copy, but I could compensate by combining: such as copying a Ogre STR with a Cheetah DEX to make a character good at hitting and evading.

>And about the spellcasting, how did you learn to use his spells, as wizards usually uses spellbooks for such?
The explanation was that I took the spells that were meditated on his brain. I think it was more because it was fun being able to use different classes of spells even if more limited than the actual spellcasters.

>Could you, lets say, consume an sorcerer and get access to their bloodborne magic immediately?
That didn't happen when I played, but it would require: A)kill a sorcerer who uses this magic (or find one recently dead, rotting corpses couldn't be copied), B) adapt sorcerer spellcasting level (requires equal LV plus xp), C) adapt necessary spell (requires xp).

>Also, how did the dna storage work? Sorry for all these questions, this just have me really fired up.
I had a little notebook that I wrote the name of creatures I had copied the genes. For example:
> 1) Goblin
> 2) Wolf
> 3) Mage lv1
> 4) Ogre
> 5) Cheetah
If I wanted an ability DM would open monster book or character book and show that creatures spells, feats, racial traits and etc. Then he would put a cost in XP for each unlock, to avoid complicated mathematics it was like:

Skill: PreviousCost+25*CR = A level 3 skill would cost 250xp minus a discount if I had an inferior level.
Feat and Spell: PreviousCost+50*CR = A level 3 spell or feat would cost 500xp minus a discount if I had an inferior level.
Trait: PreviousCost+100*CR = A level 3 trait would cost 1000xp, such as Hellhound fire immunity.

Keep in mind I don't remember those values exactly, but it was something like that.

If you want to try it, I would actually suggest that you drop the idea of slots... or at least rework it. I don't remember if they were brought or assigned per level, but since you will already have to buy stats, skills, spells, traits and feats (you won't even have the knowledge of using basic weapons or an armor proficiency), plus amassing points to unlock the next level it can get pretty tight.

You will be underpowered at the start but game will get pretty fun when you get to level 3 and you are able to copy hellhounds (fire breath and fire immunity), ogres (STR, VIT and Weapon Proficiency: Greatclub) and other fun monsters.

I played a 30ft long sea serpent nobleman who lead a travelling carnival / merchant caravan / adventuring party / war profiteering business. The rest of the party we fairly standard humanoid members of the business.

I don't think you understand how "weird" works. Why would the fighter have had any reason to open the boxes with a polearm?

>For me it's the McChicken

Was this a sea-based setting?

It was on a island, but took place mostly on land. His background was he basically had sea serpent dwarfism and after giant sea monster kept trying to eat him he fled to the surface, convinced people he was some kind of displaced ocean nobility, and formed his carnival The Wandering Court.