Modern Mardu will never be a real deck, they said

Modern Mardu will never be a real deck, they said.

It's a pipe dream, they said.

>Not symmetrical

Does WoTC even playtest anymore? Because this card is beyond broken.

Eidolon on Steroids. It doesn't even ping the controller

I welcome red getting good cards

A 2/2 for 2 that shocks your opponent for activating non-mana abilities.

Who the hell decided that this casting cost was okay? Even 2R would have been a better argument than this.

Especially considering the top decks in standard that rely on activated abilities of artifacts

Neat. Now I might have a reason to splash red in DnT again. Even can get it with recruiter.

FETCHLANDS
E
T
C
H
E
S

The card isn't that great. You can hurt them through fetch lands, but pretty much everything is ETB, not so much with abilities. It does help against Spellskite for Red though

there's a lot of activated abilities in modern you're not considering.

>Card isn't that great, only good vs Fetchlands

DO YOU KNOW WHAT SENSEI'S DIVINING TOP DOES???

Bruh, if your opponent doesn't remove him immediately, this WILL deal 4-6 damage through fetches to your average deck, not even counting any other activated abilities. Either you have a must-answer creature to get your opponent's removal out, or you have a super fast clock.

We gonna see a rise in Boros Burn over Naya because of this? You'll want to cut down on the number of fetches in your deck for facing it in the mirror after all.

I think Deathrite Shaman is in for an unpleasant surprise when he finds out who is in his bed.

>Egyptian Plane
>80% of the characters are Nubian

Why?

You know why.

If you are already in red, Imperial Recruiter also gets it.

It's the third age

WE

Look user, we know. But really, you gotta just give them this one thing. I mean, it's all they have, okay? I get complaining about innistrad or theros or kaladesh but this is the one thing they have. And yes, historically the nubians were a small part of egypt and kinda ran it into the ground in the end, but it's really the only well-documented mythos they have. Just let it slide, user. Let it go.

We'll let's look at what he hits
>fetches
>man lands
>aether vial
>ghost Quarter/tectonic edge
>ruins kikki jikki decks
>ruins affinity
>walking ballista
>eldrazi displacer
>tasigur
>ruins abzan coco combo
>krak clan combo is gone too
>masoleum wanderer
>ezuri
>neonate
>mishra's Bauble
>horizon Canopy
>grim lavamancer
>endbriner
>expedition map
>scavenging ooze
>sea gate wreckage
>drowner of hope
>engineered explosives
>cursecatcher
>knight of the Reliquary
>spellskite

It is a card that must be answered.

don't forget lantern's mill rocks

Remember those threads where we discussed the "signature" 2drop in each color?
W SFM U Snappy B bob G goyf

Reds card was usually either bolt, which doesn't fit, or young pyromancer, which never felt quite right next to the other 4.

Guys is this card Reds answer? The best 1R that can stand next to goyf/sfm/snappy/bob?

Lmao, no.
There are plenty of matches where this is just a 2 mana 2/2
Gofy/snappy/bob arre always doing something every time they hit the board.

really i think pyro fits

Not even a mythic, or a 2/1, could it be, did wizards print a good card?

I'm kind of sad that it doesn't hit enchantments. Red deserves more Aura Barb style effects.

They wanted to prevent it from hitting Planeswalkers, but didn't want to print "non-Planeswalker permanents" and these kinds of things look best in threes.

>W SFM U Snappy B bob G goyf

>tfw white's card is the only banned one
>tfw white can never have anything good outside of Standard

Personally, I do,wish they just made it "permanents", but I get why they didn't. It's plenty strong on it's own.

Can't wait to try it out in Modern Burn. I've got 5 flex slots anyway, so i think I'll try 1- 4 in the 75 and see what I like.

Modern Playable/10.

>Red Bear
>With upside

This really should cost RR at a minimum. Holy shit this is pushed.

I don't get it.

It'd be cooler to give black people their real mythos.

Okay, Samut and...?

Wrong side of the continent.

>Mansa Musa
... where did I hear that name before...

Oh shit he's the guy who was so rich that when he was doing his pilgrimage, the Egyptians ripped him off so much that it ruined the economy.

Gold was devalued in the region for an entire decade.

I know what I posted. I'd rather have a Ghana/Mali/Songhai block filled with black people than an Egyptian block with a whole lot of black people.

When he was doing his pilgrimage he was throwing the gold around for charity. The egyptians didn't rip him off, but he did wreck the value of gold across the sahara, so he bought it back with interest to try and fix it. Then a lot of the gold ended up in the hand of italian traders who took it to Europe and ended up so wealthy they funded artists and scientists. You should know what happened next.

Who are these "whole lot of black people"?

I see Samut, and if I squint Hapatra might be black even though I wouldn't say so, but who else?

Shut up, I just want a Songhai block.

>4x Swiftspear monk
>4x Goblin Guide
>4x Harsh Mentor
>28x burn spells
>20x Mountains
Harsh mentor is objectively better then Eidolon of the great revel in every possible way.

Hell, splash black and white for blood artist and lingering souls and go the midrange/aristocrat route and with boros reckoner and blasphemous act for extra hilarity.

>Then a lot of the gold ended up in the hand of italian traders who took it to Europe and ended up so wealthy they funded artists and scientists. You should know what happened next.
What does that have to do with anything? Musa funded tons of schools and scholars himself. The Italians didn't need to do it for him a hundred or so years later. Timbuktu was big shit.

Actual african empires are verboten since they all made a ton of their money off of selling other africans as slaves.

How can one person be so garbage at magic.

All of them, user. ALL OF THEM. If you can't see it, it just means you've been brainwashed like all the rest.

>why we will never have an American plane

A TON of their money? You can't think of any other major contributions to that wealth? Are you retarded?

Oh yeah, Musa was awesome for that. Timbuktu was a legendary center of learning.
What I was saying was that his charity accidentally funded the start of the Renaissance, despite him never setting foot in Europe.

Mali was powerful due to mostly gold and salt trading, as well as being a really big trade hub irregardless. Besides, slaves are part of what Egypt is famous for anyway. They just made them zombies instead.

We totally could. We just need to remind Wizards that half of the buckaroo cowboys were hispanic or black

I just want to play this and Bob and all the good cheap removal in mardu and call it a deck BUT IM NOT ALLOWED TO AM I BECAUSE IT WOULD BE A BAD DECK AND I WOULD LOSE GAMES RIGHT RIGHT YOU FUCKING FUCKS

(Insert Kamigawa Lore argument here)

I never said it was all of it. Just that enough of it came from that for people to not want to address it. I know they made an absolute killing on gold and salt too

Why didn't he warn them about kappa main prey being girl for him to rape

>I never said it was all of it.
And I didn't say that you said all of it. But mate everyone sold slaves back in the day. Unless it was their ONLY thing it wouldn't factor into basing it as an influence to a mythical magical fictional plot of land.

Harsh Mentor does not replace Eidolon. The fact you don't realize this is a bad thing.

Correct. Maybe worth a consideration for Grim Lavamancer?

And it could have some legs in legacy etc

this is at best a sideboard card in modern. there are lots of decks that this doesn't do anything to

Is this the spoiler thread?

has synergy with mana dorks. I don't know which deck would want this

I'm guessing Tooth and Nail, maybe Ponza? I don't know what they would cut.

>Best god gets best looking masterpiece

Looks powerful in the right deck, but realistically it'll probably only see play in casual and EDH.

Turn 2 with a single mana dork ramping for 1 isn't terrible, but if you really want to abuse it you need lots of creatures and that's not happening before turn 4 at the earliest. And then you lose.

Cruel mentor is in his bed.

>and that's not happening before turn 4 at the earliest. And then you lose.
standard's turn 4?

regardless, it'd be great in sealed too

>standard's turn 4?
Copy cat.

People get to copy cat on turn 4?

Also standard doesn't have a 1cmc mana dork, so it's ramping for 1 (mayyyybe 2) on turn 3 at the earliest.

If you want early-game ramp there's probably a better card than this one. Its real potential is in getting 3+ lands and I don't know what deck be able to reliably do that. Elves, I guess?

That's what I hear. I'm not going anywhere near Standard, personally.

I thought kappas wanted little boys

I've been thinking, lately WoTC has been designing Planeswalkers with Ultimates based on Magic's Story. For example, Liliana the Last Hope summons up her army of Zombies, and Nahiri the Harbinger summons everyone's favorite flying spaghetti monster and destroyer of planes.

So, what if Gideon's Platinum Angel-esque ability foreshadows something in the story?

That ability seems almost like Gideon's last stand; the Gatewatch cannot lose as long as Gideon lives. Could this mean the Bolas is going to kill Gideon??

Nah, that's Kappa SIGMAS.

HEY-YOOOO!

God, I hope so.

>Magic's Story
Ugh.

>So, what if Gideon's Platinum Angel-esque ability foreshadows something in the story?
See that new card Gideon's Intervention: his ultimate ability depicts his ability to defend people because, you know, he's basically a paladin. It's just what he does. Big whoop.

If he dies, I'd be upset only because he hasn't had a significant character arc. He's a very flat character, and offing him before he's had any real development would reek of Wizards simply trying to up the stakes with drama. I don't care about the character. I don't care if Bolas wins or loses. I do care about Wizards' ability to tell a coherent story, and they never fail to disappoint. Let the guy reconcile with his faith, you don't need to kill him off to do that.

>implying any of these masterpieces look good
whatever you tell yourself, buddy.

I think stoneforge mystic doesn't really fit in either, since it is more of a build around card.

Hazoret looks really good
Rhonas looks slightly better I think (also green bias)
Oketra's isn't good because she's too small in her own art
Bontu's is ok but most of his figure is in shadow
Kefnet's is pretty decent

>So, what if Gideon's Platinum Angel-esque ability foreshadows something in the story?
I think it's closer to worship.

A literal fan-boy effect -in game- for playing Gideon cards if you will.

Thus far the only walker that proactively buffs future walker cards.

MTGGoldfish staff have suspected that gideon will die in amonkhet block for a while. After seeing his 3rd ability, I'm inclined to agree with them.

That's the same condition as Throne of the God King. I wonder if there are enough Tapped Creatures matters cards to make a deck.

You just crew all your creatures into the same vehicle

Copy cat turn 4 only works if you aren't pressuring them at all

They much prefer to play felidar first then Saheeli turn 5

I've been expecting Gideon to die for quite some time, there's not enough room for 2 cis pigs on the Jacetice league. Wotc is going to kill off Gideon and bring back Elsepth some time in the future.

Ajani might kick the bucket in the near future, replaced with a female landwhale planeswalker, probably a loxodon.

Shitelf is simic now, there's a chance we're getting Garruk back.

Or hell, literally any mono-green planeswalker. As long as they aren't a black mammy who loves nature and shiiiiiiit they can't be worse than Nissa.

I fucking hate Garruk even more than the jacetice league

I'm thinking some sort of U/W control deck with this as the win-con wouldn't be half bad.

for what purpose

But Garruk has gone full golgari.

If Wotc ever releases a new mono green planeswalker its definitely going to be some strong and independent (and sassy) loxodon who needs no man, this way it opens up the possibility of releasing selesnya version of her for more empowered and socially progressive characters to join the jacetice league.

>But Garruk has gone full golgari.
they're working on that. they've been working on that for years actually. With soon to be 3/4 of lili's demon's dead we're one step closer to doing something with the chain veil and that directly ties with garruk

Just run all the lifegain spells in standard with a few of the white board wipes

Blessed alliance will be your bff.

>As long as they aren't a black mammy who loves nature and shiiiiiiit they can't be worse than Nissa.

That sounds awesome

Chandra is already worse than nissa

Chris whatever got fired and I'm hoping they'll stop writing her like a literally retarded 13 year old.

Was he the one who wrote the intro story to amonkhet where they were in the desert and it kept switching perspectives?

No he's the one who wrote the intro to kaladesh (and another 2 in kaladesh I think) that started the trend of chandra having the mind of a retarded 13 year old.

Gitrog was kind of entertaining because of how cliche it was and the Kaladesh story was probably exactly as mediocre as the rest of them.

The intro wasn't good or anything, but outside of chandra's retardation it was passable.

No. That was Michael Yichao.

also it did show us giant sandworms and i'm a sucker for giant sandworms

god i hope the sandworm is good, or legendary, or both