/WFG/ Warhammer Fantasy General

Sigmar bless this ravaged body edition.

> Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
WFRP: pastebin.com/0e6RuQux

> Some links have gone dead, we want these novels for an alternative archive
pastebin.com/kZc4gNAf

> Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
Tomb Kings Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

> The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

> Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

> Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer: store.steampowered.com/app/364360/
Vermintide: store.steampowered.com/app/235540/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Return of Reckoning: returnofreckoning.com/

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

issuu.com/m4cr1ii3n/docs/warhammer_expansion_-_special_characters/126
strawpoll.com/83yd211
pastebin.com/TSQhemJR
youtu.be/AINXWdt3sjg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Did the Red Duke have rules in WFB?

Nearly all the info we have on TK comes from the army books, as the Time of Legends novels takes place way before c.2500IC.

So in the blurbs they just give a quick archetype and it's up to us to develop it.

Nobody 'needs' to be whipped user but once you start it's too fun to stop.

I don't think so, someone has given him fan rules for 8th edition though.

issuu.com/m4cr1ii3n/docs/warhammer_expansion_-_special_characters/126

Indeed. I think the sum total of official Tomb Kings lore that is not in Army Books comes from:
1) The first Time of Legends Nagash book. This deals with Nehekhara before it suffered from Vampires and the like, but since a lot of Tomb Kings / Princes hail from that time or earlier this isn't too much a problem. What might be a problem is that a lot of the stuff you see in the book isn't even paid lip service elsewhere (steam powered airships and Tomb Scorpions, alliances with Lizardmen, Lamians coming back with Cathay-an handgonnes), but if you don't mind such it gives a pretty interesting picture of Live!Nehekhara at war. Better portrayal than most fantastical settings when it comes to pantheons involving themselves in battle.
2) The Felix & Gotrek book "The Serpent Queen". I have not read it myself, but from what I've heard you can do worse with the Josh Reynolds G&F books. Also apparently a lot of people ship Felix with a mummy from that book.
3) Dreadfleet and other such one-off games / supplements which very briefly acknowledge the Tomb Kings' existence.
4) Warhammer Fantasy RPG's 2nd Edition adventure "Lure of the Liche Lord". It is only a moderate amount of fluff (not much more than you'd find in an Army Book's information section), but it still provides you with the history of a minor Tomb King and his province with enough detail (re: Them, their animated companions, etcetera) to get something out of it.

Aaaand I think that's literally it.

He at least had a model. Or at least the old Vampire lord on horseback was used in a battle report as him.
I don't remember much more though.

Maybe if you check a WD archive you can find out more?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a model for the wizard from Vermintide?

The other four characters are fairly self-explanatory but finding a female Bring Wizard has been a bit of a challenge.

Goddamn there is nothing in that image i don't like, from the way the text is laid out to the colour choice, to the design of the orcs, just beautiful, man, beautiful.

How far along is the new novel archive? Can the user who has been working on it update the pastebin in the Op to reflect what we have and what is still needed?

Curious as to opinions: strawpoll.com/83yd211

It just seems weird when the Gods of Law are barely brought up, barely have a presence of worshipers in the lore, and End Times even brings up the question as to if they actually exist.

Order Warriors are ok (great, in fact), so long as they are as much of antagonists as Chaos Warriors.

Sigmarines are never ok.

I've finally managed to look through every book tonight and added the best quality ones, a few a still not brilliantly formatted but I'll concentrate on a 100% archive for now.

Anyway, now it's just a matter of uploading them all so despite me saying this for the past week they will, on my honour, be up by tomorrow at the latest.

Here's an updated list also:

pastebin.com/TSQhemJR

I've added comics to it but I don't think this list is complete so if anyone has a lot of the comics or knows what they all are feel free to say.

A part of me really wants to say yes because I hate to piss in peoples cornflakes when it comes to their own models but I just think Smegmarines have too much baggage. I look at them and want to vomit.

If you were going to do a Dark Elf army themed around Naggarond for 6ed, what units would you include/avoid? (Besides the obvious Black Guard)

Isn't one of the modified armylists in the 6th book a city guard?

It's in the 2003 Chronicles book, thanks user.

No.

Also, get back to the End Times/Age of Sigmar thread. Low-tier bait is low-tier.

Let's talk Vampires in Warhammer lore, I'm preparing an adventure for my whfrp group and I'm doing some research on Vampires in Warhammer, and also Sylvania.

It would be set somewhat after the Vampire Wars, after Stirlands invasion into western Sylvania.

What weaknesses and strengths do Carstein Vampires have? They are based around Dracula mostly but I've read they appear in mirrors and throw a shadow regardless, any conflicting information on that?
are they night active, and if yes how do they pass the daytime, in coffins? hanging from the rafters?

How gloomy is Sylvania? I know it's usually cloudy, but I doubt it would be perpetual night time.

any contributions are appreciated

I don't know about whfrp sources, but I'd advise you to read the 6th edition codex. It's my favorite interpretation of vampires in general and it conveys the right kind of gloomyness and general atmosphere. Also the short stories show that no human being should ever fuck with a vampire. There is a specific one where a group of vampire hunters invade a vampires home (a tower iirc) and they get beaten easily. It's been a while since last read it, but afaik vampires have no physical weaknesess if they are in sylavnia since there is no real daylight over there. It may be possible that I mixed that up though.

It's me - the annoying Nurgle-guy who keeps spamming these generals for help. This time, in lieu of an army-list, I'm considering a new build on my foot slugging Sorcerer Lord general, namely:

Sorcerer Lord - MoN, lvl 4 Wiz (Lore of Nurgle) Unholy Strike, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Striking and Talisman of Preservation (405p).

If used he'll lead my army in 1500/2000 points battles.

Do you guys reckon this a competent build? To me it seems like a good compromise between including the heavy hitting Chaos Lord while keeping the magical capacity of a Sorcerer Lord.

So I started a thread about this but only got a few responses. If I'm looking to get into WHFRP what is the difference between the editions, and what would you personally recommend?

Nice job user!

Night's Dark Masters the WFRP 2nd Edition Vampire source book has 10 pages specifically on the Von Carsteins and another 10 specifically on Sylvania.

WHFRPG 1st Edition has (depending on who you ask) either the best or absolute worst of the editions' rules, and is set earlier in the WHFB timeline when "Gods of Order" were a thing (so if you like your later edition fluff, it might be best to pass).

WHFRPG 2nd Edition is set in roughly the 6th / 7th Edition's era of fluff, with the odd piece from back in 5th Edition. Its rules areā€¦ well, a good way to sum them up is "They are to first print Dark Heresy what first print Dark Heresy was to Rogue Trader / Only War". You're probably going to need to house-rule some stuff, but it does hold at least somewhat together and it has some very solid WHF-flavor adventures and the like out for it.

WHFRPG 3rd Edition is a card game. Well, not entirely, but it's much more abstracted than prior editions and so closer in style to boxed games like Arkham Horror than a traditional RPG. Set around 7th to 8th edition fluff.

First and Second editions are both fairly similar, d100 systems and so on.

Second is a better organised book, has some changes to make things a bit less fiddly and the career/advancement system has a lot of differences.

Some people think Second is more balanced though that kind of thing is often due to personal taste.

Second also has the largest quantity of source, campaign and other extra books.

First edition does have slightly different lore in places, which again is personal preference on if it is better or worth combining with Second editions.

Third edition is rather different. Using a dice pool system with custom dice, and sets of cards.

This has resulted in many calling it a board game. As I've not played it I can't say if that's true or just a surface level thing.

There was a strong negative reaction to turning from fairly flexible d100 system into a proprietary thing with custom dice and so on.

nice i really appreciate it

This one user? I fucking love Vampire Counts and the 6th Ed book is my absolute favourite. The artwork, feel and overall mood of it is perfect.

Here's the page on the Von Carstein

I've only played very casually so we never actually did any organised house ruling.

More if we hit something weird or that seemed wrong for the situation we would tweak it on the spot.

Never had any trouble playing it that way but I'm sure that would infuriate some players and GMs. Also I'm sure some issues just simply have never come up because we never had need for a specific rule.

One thing I've generally always been very flexible on is the career system. If that needs to be bent or broken in the interest of a character's advancements to feel more in line with the story then so be it, but still using what is there for balance comparison.

Jesus Christ that glare. My bad. Better photo for you

And the actual photo because I'm a dumb shit taking photos at 2am while drunk

thanks for the source.

Where would one start on the WHF Lore?

Can we talk mordheim in here?

Yep, we love it.

I miss it. Wish I had friends to play it with. I've put together over 40 buildings of terrain for it, with countless little extras. I love mordheim. What are some common houserules you guys include?

Well for me I've never been that bothered by the dates and having stuff in any historical order, just reading up on the various races and their interactions with each other.

I'm sure there's some general overviews online that would be a good start then you can see what interests you to look into more.

The 3 "eras" of Lore where big changes have happened if I remember right would be:

- pre-4th edition Warhammer (before the 90s)
- 4th edition to 8th edition (1990-2013)
- End of Times/Age of Sigmar (2014, where the universe got hamfistedly ended and rebooted)

Most of the time people use that middle era as it is where the most detailed lore about specific races and areas can usually be found. Though there is some fun stuff from the earlier era that was either replaced or never spoken of again.

To run a game you would only really need to know about the lore of the specific area you are running the game in and forces involved (and a basic overview of the world).

Cool, thanks for all the help!

One could readily argue that 8th Edition was, in and of itself, the herald of EoT / AoS. In the very least it was fairly different from prior editions with the increased focus on monstrous creatures and cavalry along with the change in fluff to differentiate the setting from historical precedent (as well as a decrease in focus on the window dressing to focus more on the war-game aspects).

Ah thanks, I wasn't totally sure if it was just suddenly dropped into 8th or begun with 8th as I stopped playing warhammer before 8th came out.

Just happily swimming around in my pre-8th bubble till I heard about End of Times and got some morbid curiosity.

I think Sylvania can be whatever you want it to be, there will certainly be parts that look like Castle Drachenfels with the silhouette in front of a low moon and the Norman architecture. But there will also be villages that on the surface look very typical of something you would find in Stirland.

Vampire are probably one of the most powerful single combatants baring a Chaos Champion.

One of their only weaknesses is their aggression combined with their arrogance, so a suitable level of preparation could tip the balance.

I would start with the 8th edition rulebook and the army books of your choice and work backwards from their (ie. 7th BRB+AB's, 6th BRB+AB's). Then for some factions there are specific books that are bibles (Liber Necris for Vampires, Heirs of Sigmar for Empire).

That seems pretty good, I would generally go for a separation of duties but I know Chaos can be an exception because even their Wizards can throw out some damage.

Mind you, I generally keep my Vampires as a blender and use a Necro for casting, which might be something to bear in mind. At 400 points he might struggle to make it back.

You all ready to get spooky?

Alternative Wight King in that new AoS game.

>thought the skelly hand on the tombstone was the kings monkey like toes comin out of his boot

I must admit I do like how the GW skeletons have normal skulls. If I remember right the Mantic ones all have like "evil face" skulls like the bone is pulled into a more sinister shape.

Do any other companies make, for want of a better term, realistic looking skeletons?

> You're M8's waking up after 600 years and you just step on his fingers in your mailed boot.

What are friends for.

Slaanesh Variant 2 shield is pretty, pretty, pretty good.

youtu.be/AINXWdt3sjg

Not bad.

I won't play the game, because
>AoS lore
but can see myself trawling eBay for those.

I did buy Scuttlings from Bits World after all.

I accept it if GW did it in a resurrected Fantasy, or an opponent did it.

But I wouldn't do it. Sigmarines are tainted in my eyes.

The problem is her brazier collar. Nobody makes it.

Reaper has a lot for everything else on her though.

WAR had a TK expansion.

Gotta admit, GW has done a great job with their Wight Kings.

That's pretty good actually, it's not horribly overdone and not to many fiddly bits to paint.

Stop getting things right gw...

I'm not gonna call it shit just because it's AoS, it's a good model and you have to applaud GW for a job well done, but it's utterly wasted on AoS, but still fits perfectly fine with old WHFB lore so I might get one.

Elfdar are next.

It'll be the combo breaker unless they make a badass Morathi

How into it would you guys be if someone made color templates for the different models in the game like the Heraldry books had?

What army would you want first?

>increases focus on monstruous creatures and cavalry
>8th ed

You might be playing a different game.

GW was trying to shill those. The rules actually advantaged regular troops

8th was schizophrenic, it pushed taking clumps of regular troops but made it piss easy to kill them.

It did fuck all for cavalry (my poor fast cav...) but the army books and marketing pushed big centrepiece models and monster cavalry like the empire wizard wagons, the sphinx, the mega spider, etc.

7th edition is generally seen as the cav edition.

They thought balance could be achieved by ridiculous hard counters everywhere, forcing people to buy the armies to hard counter everything.

Yeah, I'd like the Mantic ones if they weren't all Army of Darkness. The eyes in the sockets don't help either.

Wargames Factory used to do some nice (if fragile) plastic skeletons but I think they disappeared when they got bought by Warlord Games.

They also removed tactics, it became a lot easier to recover from a failed charge or charging a diverting unit.

Should I play 6th or 7th edition?

Well, it also became fucking easy to fail a charge

6e, with 7e books.

What are some fun things to do in combat in WFRP 2E that isn't spamming swift attack? I feel like most characters usually end up prioritizing swift attack to get as much hurt out as possible but it does get repetitive.

Tbh, the only real difference on the guy in comparison to my standard Sorc Lord is that I've replaced scaled skin, dragon helm and flaming breath with Unholy Strike, enchanted shield and Sword of Striking making him reliably fighty at the cost off an armour save that is one step worse and no fire res at 5 points cheaper.

God damn, that's one sexy skellington!

I like them all except for scythe guy.

These boardgame boxes have been pretty great since they have grunt level dudes with hero levels of detail. Of course, monopose, etc, but still.

At least skeletons are easy to mod for other poses.

Think up non combat solutions, traps, distractions, etc.

Use things like wrestle.

To be honest I usually play very low power level though so having more than 1 attack is a rarity anyway and WS is so low that all out attack becomes pretty useful.

Only if you were shit and the units that matter don't give a shit about it - Full armoured Grave Guard, Elves, that sort of thing.

I like random charge distances for removing the "everyone stops 8.5 inches away and waits for 2 turns" that made 7th a bit of a nightmare. Pity 8th got rid of that AND scrapped bait units being any good at drawing people out of position for a flank or rear charge

What would be a good way to start getting into Mordheim as somebody new to wargaming? I'm looking to play the old Britannia stuff if that helps, maybe some skeletons. GF will probably be playing elves of some sort

What minis are these? Can't find them on GW.

i recognise parts of them
looks like a very heavy conversion/kitbash

Those look kinda like Mordheim miniatures? That would explain why you can't find them. They aren't selling the fuckers anymore.

Thanks

Oh okay thanks, I'll keep an eye on eBay

Those are free company (originally Mordheim Reikland and Middenheim gangs) and they've been converted a fair bit.

The best kit GW ever made

He looked a lot like the Blood Dragon Vampire Lord model type, yeah....

Are there any actual art of a tzeentch beastman?

The RULES for them were shit, but GW did release models for them by the assload while adding them to the lore when in some cases the did not even exist in the background beforehand.

Thanks man

I haven't found any from Fantasy-era (Shitmar models actually aren't bad) but I'm pretty sure they were supposed to have spotted coats like various big cats IIRC

i recognize some greatsword heads and state troop bodies to

Thing is, I'm trying to find art for making a token for Roll20. Makes me sad there seem to be no art.

The Liber Mutatis has no art for them, I just checked. It does have art for the feathered fiends, though, which maybe you could use as a placeholder.

There are a couple of free company/mordheim bits but they mostly look like a mix of new state troopers (legs and bodies), old state troopers (all the puff-and-slash arms) and greatswords (sallet helm? bearded guy at the front? I'm not that familiar with the later Empire stuff).

The Free Company parts are the kettle helm on 2, open hand on 3 (just the hand), spare flambards from the accessory sprue on 4 and 5, dagger arm on 7 and the blunderbuss on 9.

Hell, I think that's a catachan arm on 8.

Check the two trading card games?

We have art of Malal Beastmen through the first.

Here

I would say 6th with Ravening Hordes.

All the rules for Mordheim are in the WFB OP.

I would get a box of Great Swords and Archers for most of the Empire warbands. For undead you'll need quite a few different boxes unfortunately and a Vampire.

Who is considered better warriors, Phoenix Guard or White Lions?

Nothing that I can find for fantasy, at least before AoS, but this Tzaangor from 40k might be at least inspiring. Only textual description has them as having tiger stripes or leopard spots.

It seems that only Pestigors and Khorngors got models, and they were actually pretty nice looking all in all.

I've done a tiny bit more editing to my homebrew, mostly to explain the new rune rules. Would you use this?

Different type of warrior, so hard to argue.

Phoenix Guard know exactly when to act and how, and thus live or die by destiny rather than skill. Also magical divine buffs straight from Asuryan himself.

White Lions are hardened by a lifetime of hunting and fighting monsters and Daemons.

So it depends on what you define as a "better" warrior, one with more hard-earned skill or one who acts via destiny and the will of god?

Throw in Swordmasters and the argument becomes mission from god VS rough living VS constant training. Crusader, quester, cavalier.

If you go by tabletop stats Phoenix Guard have better morale and initiative with Lions being only stronger.

Depends on edition if you go by stats. GW could never got all three viable and kept tweaking them. But in every edition one just became a deathstar, one a mediocre, and one shit.