Previously, on /5eg/

Other urls found in this thread:

webmshare.com/ReP0G
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Druids
are
GHEY!

Druids only fuck opposite gendered animals

ive only played martials. Should i go land or moon druid?

Play a Sorcerer

Without modification, land druids are objectively superior to moon druids in nearly every way.

evoker

What game are you playing, cause it sure isn't 5e D&D.
Moon would probably be the best transition.

I'm working on this new map for a campaign I'll eventually run in the future. This has been my progress so far. What do you think?

What's the big feature of moon druids? Wild shape bonuses.

What's better than wild shape? Polymorph.

Which subclass can cast polymorph more often? Land.

How many campaigns actually run 'til the level where you get Polymorph? Few.

You get polymorph at level 7...

is it that uncommon? I've played at least 3 games that have gone from level 1-7+

>le games never advance past level 2 meme

Moon druids get polymorph at level 7. Land druids can start casting it more often than moon druids at level 8. Neither of these levels are incredibly hard to reach.

It isn't uncommon. A few months after 5e's release, WotC put out some survey results that showed most games AT THE TIME ended before players reached levels 10+. The timing of the survey is a huge issue that raises questions about the validity of its data. But despite these questions, morons have created the meme that no games ever get past level 10, and they've been steadily lowering the ceiling ever since, to the point that a game getting past level 5 is seen as a long shot.

I'll tell you a secret: If your group is composed of well adjusted friends and not retards, it's pretty easy to play all the way to level 20.

Land Druid is honestly better if your going to play at levels 3+, which you should be. Polymorph is basically a better version of Wild Shape for combat and it mean you can use your Wild Shape for utility.

Underdark is most likely the best land choice but I think Grasslands is a close second.

I love the way this map software looks. Just wish I wasn't too retarded to make maps.

Also depends a lot on the group and the tone they want to set...

The games I've played in, and now run, had/have slow advancement. At least a few months of steady play per level. We're a proper stable bunch, but games tend to end at around 7.

Looks pretty good. If you plan on expanding it out, you may want to keep in mind the way plate tectonics and continental drift work on Earth, if you want to give your world a more believable, Earth-physics kind of feel.

Mainly, mountain ranges form along the boundaries of plates, over millions of years, and land masses float along these plates, slowly drifting about. Some large land masses may appear to fit together, and at one time they may have, but have drifted apart over millennia.

>tfw no blaster with short rest spell slots

god if only the warlock spell list wasn't trash

So in the new UA, you can find people selling magic items.

Now, as written this requires a persuasion check. Shouldn't it be an investigation check? Should it be both?

um. no.

should it be either*

The cool thing about that is, now there is a precedent to rolling to find magic items put out by the creators.

UA material is playtest, so adjust as you see fit.
Personally in my game, depending on how the character went about it, I would have them roll one, or the other, or yes, perhaps both. Like everything, it depends on their actions in game.

Fiend patron.

Hi /5eg/
I've become the DM for a group of 6 players, I've DMed a lot before, so that's all groovy. But what I'm thinking would be fun is if we make our setting using Dawn of Worlds for a session first.
Now the big question is, is there a better game than Dawn of Worlds for this?

i dunno

>not great old one for psychic damage that almost nothing is resistant to

So just dip one level of warlock and pick another caster?

>dissonant whispers at warlock1
>black tentacles at warlock8

wow it's fucking nothing

Someone said you could get Plate armor from Death House in Curse of Strahd, while others said it will rust if you take it from the house. I'm looking over the book and it says that the books in the Library will rot if you take them from the house and the books in the basement will age but stay intact, but I don't see it saying anything about the armor?

Yeah it's nothing. Just pick Fiend + Elemental Adept if you're focused on Warlock blasting.

I'm running Skt and there is a lot of over world travel. I want to give them some sort of magic item that functions as a mobile base camp, sort of like a pocket dimension they can visit from time to time.

Any suggestions?

>Sorclock Meme Build
REEEEE!

Seriously though Warlock shouldn't just be the 2 level now I can spam agonizing blast dip class

A magic key that performs once per long rest Mordenkeinen's Magnificent Mansion?

A Vistani Vardo?

Daern's Instant Fortress?

I want to go full chuuni. What's the best class/race combo for this? I'm guessing Tiefling Rogue (Arcane Trickster) is pretty high up there.

warlock literally exists to give other classes access to eldritch blast, hex, and invocations

Don't be an actual tiefling. Pretend to be.

Honestly, arcane trickster is probably your best shot. Warlock also works in the sense they're a half-assed caster that's powerful for a bit but then has to resort to blasting, in the same way Megumin blows her load quickly.

1/day Mordekainen's Mansion is Very Rare bordering on Legendary level magic though

I LOVE this map. What software do you use?

One thing I'd suggest would be to touch up your coasts to make them more jaggy. Also, I'd like to see the names of your locations!

something something Cauldwell's Cozy Cottage

a smaller, shittier Mansion, no servants, has a range and pots/pans but no food, contains two bunk beds and a washtub

once every 48 hours or something I dunno

It's barely rare.

But okay, a Daern's Instant Fortress it is. Something like the Mansion, only it gets conjured in the material plane

I gave my players a mansion that is basically the TARDIS right at level 3, so they have a plot hook for whenever I want, and shit to spend their money in

Thats the current implication with the ability to dip for 2 levels and get like 90% of the best features,

Same with the UA Ranger

Watch out for players using Daern's instant fortress to kill stuff.

Do this except make it incredibly cheap and shit. Like a roof leaking extra dimensional ooze, giant rats that are sometimes brave enough to attack, a human skeleton in the cupboard that keeps reappearing.

>multiclassing UA

Come on now, son.

webmshare.com/ReP0G

1/day 7th level spell with no charge limit?

That's a pretty powerful effect. Based upon the Helm of Teleportation I guess you could make a case for Rare but I'd still lean towards Very Rare simply based upon the fact that it wouldn't require attunement and basically means it eliminates any upkeep requirements and makes random encounters non-existent.

I wasn't saying that Multiclassing UA was good. It's more that classes shouldn't be ridiculously front loaded

I'm looking for ways to Increase my Spell DC. Currently Playing a Bard, I know dipping into wizard will bump it but id there anything short of requesting homebrew items to increase my DC?

Hello Veeky Forums, requesting character aid. 5th edition D&D, naturally.

I am making a high elf wizard who is something of an inquisitor. His tradition will be Divination. Because my GM's setting is "vague homebrew", I am fluffing him as a sort of sun elf, and as his first level taking Cleric. However, I am unsure what god to accept, particularly insofar as 5th edition is limited (I have never actually played it, despite playing plenty of earlier editions). Corellon is obvious, but he's very CG, where I am looking for something far more lawful. Amaunator could work, but I don't know if or how he exists in 5th. Again, homebrew, so I can whip something custom up.

The concept, in essence, is obviously centered around light. Literally, in the form of the dawn, the morning, the sun; the act of revelation, knowledge, clarity and inspiration; goodness, healing, purity, and truth. This gives me a varied and substantial toolkit in terms of concepts to pull from as I flesh out the character and his slice of the world.

What do you guys think, and how difficult mechanically will this be to play up?

Playing Aasimar for the first time and pretty excited.

I'm playing him as NG, but how would I know when I've fallen? Obviously, shit like rape/murder, but I just don't want my DM coming at me out of the blue with "okay ou've fallen".

Fuckin'

How many people have to insist on taking an overpowered single level cleric dip on wizard?

Is there a list of all the backgrounds in 5e?

Druids, when they have sex with animals, only have sex with at least two of them, in Noah's ark style pairs of two.

What is a fiend patron? What is a wizard?

Nothing RAW, it's implied that everything in the house is good looking only because it's sustained by the House's magic garbage, and becomes useless when it leaves its power source which is where that came from, no idea if there's been official insight on it.

sun elf as hhigh elf is an "official"ly supported refluff/thing. looks fine mechanically. any lore answers go out the window since this is a homebrew setting, which means you take your ideas and, along with talk to your dm.

underrated

Amaunator does exist, but he's Lawful Good now instead of just lawful. Lathandar is an option too, but he's Neutral Good.

If the setting is vague "homebrew", do you really need to pick an established D&D god? Just roll up saying that you worship the LN Sun Disk and iron out any minor details with the DM.

>That's a pretty powerful effect.

For a seventh level spell, maybe, but the Mansion is no Forcecage.
Especially if the mansion plants are permanently set.

The airship was what the party used mostly.
Sometime's they'd tell the cultists to sail the ship to a major city, then teleport (they aligned with the Harpers) and caroused until the ship arrived.

What's the difference between running Against the Giants or Storm King's Thunder?

The players can do something like this with the new ritual spell that gets nature spirits to set up a camp for you.

Have a sort of 'blueprint' and sufficient camp equipment and they can set up camp whereever.

You could use that spell and combine it with a wagon the party keeps with them that has a big tent for the entire party with various things set up in it.

So it's...incredibly mechanically beneficial? How overpowered is this? I want to be somewhat defensible, and the wide array of spell selection will help me fulfill the varying interpretations of the concept.

>sun elf as hhigh elf is an "official"ly supported refluff/thing. looks fine mechanically. any lore answers go out the window since this is a homebrew setting

I have been reading around somewhat, and I remember the sun elves of Faerun, so I've noticed a lot of overlap in the way these types of elves have been realized. I almost considered going outright eladrin or aasimar, but I feel like grounding him firmly between high celestial existence and mundane human existence is an ideal place for him.

Yep, pretty much what I observed. I figured I might cannibalize his concept some.

Pretty much, yeah.

My one worry is stats - do you need anything special, like a minimum in any one stat, for multiclassing? We are using standard array, so I was putting my 14 in Dexterity, but with the ability to wear armor, might that not be necessary? I could assign it to Wis, then.

How does Wizard raise your DC?
Also depending on what Bard you are you can use your bardic inspiration to lower an enemies save against your DC.

Lore master wizard gets a feature that allows burning of spell slots for +2 to the spell DC

Fuck the Police, worship Pholtus.

Upsides:
>A level 1 cleric domain feature
>+1 total HP if your first level is cleric
>Shields, +2 AC
>Medium / Heavy armour, +5 AC (+4 AC for no stealth disadvantage) or +6 AC respectively over unarmoured with 14 dex (+2(+1) / +3 compared to mage armour)
>Access to level 1 cleric spells that you can replace at every long rest
>+3 cantrips, of which you can choose from some nice ones such as Guidance

Downsides:
>One level behind maximum wizard spell progression, on one half of all levels your max spell level will be one below a normal wizard
> -(1/2) a spell slot level every short rest from arcane recovery
>ASI delayed by 1 level, wizard features delayed by 1 level

Honestly I get annoyed about it because, AC stacking on a class that's not supposed to have such easy AC. Compared to a normal wizard, on one half of all levels you're pretty much straight-up better than them and on the other half of all levels you're maybe even with them.

Oh, right, there's some other things like requiring at least 13 int and 13 wis where you needed neither of those before and whatever.

But yeah, I'm salty about a wizard taking a single level dip for ~+5 AC while only losing at most half a level 1 spell slot.

Mearls pls go and stay go. Nobody likes the low magic stuff, and it actually hurts martials more anyways.

What's so good about a ranger dip?

Cutting word doesn't work on enemy saving throw. Stop spreading false infomation and acrually go read the PHB.

Fuck, I keep messing up
It's +2 HP over pure wizard, but if you were a cleric/wizard then you'd get +1 HP over going wizard as first level.

Your only choice aside from 'asking for homebrew items' is taking a level of warlock and asking for rod of the pact keeper or going theurgist wizard and that's stupid. Or doing things like going sorcerer and getting heightened spell or disadvantagehound from shadow sorcerer.

In any case, stop trying and maybe beg your DM. Homebrew items can absolutely be better than already existing magical items anyway, unlike homebrew classes.

Polymorph is a concentration spell that Moon Druids also have. Land Druid might cast it five times to the Moon Druid's three times per day. But the Moon Druid can also wildshape six times in a day with two short rests. (DMG recommends two short rests per long rest). Circle Forms and Elemental Wildshape means a Moon Druid could summon an Elemental and then Wildshape into an Elemental.

The Land Druid would only be better outside of combat.

>Pholtus
I like him, a lot. Especially:

>Mark your brow with five white stripes and hang suncatchers on as many public buildings as you can. If no buildings are around, hang the suncatchers from a tree or natural formation instead. Never hang a suncatcher in the same place 2 days in a row.

If it makes you feel better I'm a bad munchkin and I probably need the bump to be competitive. I'll probably get dumb spells with the cantrips just because I like the idea of them, and get crunched in combat.

>Advantage on initiative
>+2 on all damage rolls against humanoids
>Advantage on all knowledge rolls to do with humanoids
>Cannot get lost except by magical means
>Travel at normal pace while stealthing
>+1 skill, armour proficiencies, 1d10 hitdie, martial weapon proficiencies
>Ignore difficult terrain
>Leads onto a great level 2 and level 3: Level 2 allows you to get a fighting style and a level of spellcasting, level 3 gives a level of spellcasting if you weren't a spellcaster with your multiclass and gives you, say, hunter's 'Horde breaker' to get another attack that stacks with extra attack but requires a target next to your target. Or colossus slayer. Or whatever.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting some things UA ranger gets at level 1, but you get the idea: It's heavily frontloaded.

yeah, I always try to keep in mind what makes sense geographically. I'm pretty invested in making my world appear coherent.

Inkarnate plus Photoshop. Yeah, the coast isn't done yet, I'm still not finished on the detail work..

As long as you don't have another wizard in your party, because then you'd be 'Basically that wizard but tougher.'

Still, whether you're trying to or not, you're managing to hit all the metagaming notes.

What's the best adventure from Tales for a newish DM to run?

I've got some of my players interested in finally giving me a chance to play.

We've already done White Plume.

So my DM has removed the Assassin Subclass and given Thieves the ability to auto-crit on their first melee attack if the enemy's surprised.

I'm kind of worried that it'll make then a little too powerful but I guess it does give Thieves a little boost.

Polymorph is a concentration spell you dolt. Also, Moon Druids wildshape twice per short rest, with the Wildshape often lasting past one encounter. Polymorph lasts a maximum of one hour.

>Metagaming
Or, before someone >implyings me, probably better to say munchkinning, yeah.

Go Warlock, take Rod of Pact Keeper. Every bard has to multiclass eventually anyway (Level 19 and 20 being garbage), but beware of the level 20 build

Also, Wand of the War Mage if you're making many bigby's hand attack rolls.

So...
I'm trying to work out how to make a dirty fighting, tricky bastard. Do shit like groin hits, sand in the eyes, human shields, and so on.
It's for a mercenary campaign a friend is running and I want to fight like a dirty, low down, honorless merc.
So how should I go about doing this?
Fighter/Rogue multiclass? Battlemaster with different fluff?
Rogue built to be beefy?
Preferably using a single longsword or the like with an empty off hand, but I'm willing to give that up if there's no way to make it good.
I remember 4e had the Brawler version of the Fighter that was all about this kind of shit. Is there anything for 5e like that yet?

Sunless Citadel is a great place to start. Just be sure to tell them to expand on Oakhurst a bit more so it's not just "yeah you talk to the shopkeep and then now you're in the dungeon." With a little work that little town can be a really interesting place.

Yep, UA Ranger 2 is a massively valuable dip for just about any martial class.

Of course
>Multiclass
>Multiclass UA

So a DM only has themselves to blame for letting that shit fly

Polymorph's main advantage is it lets you pick more powerful forms earlier on.

Moon Druid is of course very good but Land Druids can also turn into a powerful beast. Better yet turn another ally into a powerful beast and stay back casting spells.

Both are good but I feel like Land Druid's better.

Has anyone played an Immortal Mystic? I'm interested in playing one as refluffed as an Alchemist. Taking Giant Size, Brute Force, Bestial Form, Iron Durability and Psionic Restoration (starting at lvl 5). I'm thinking of him as a Dr Jekyll kind of guy, who heals his party with potions and generally is useful as an investigator/sage but hulks out in combat and transforms into an Ogre with claws.

(And I'm going to ignore all the telepathy stuff)

Anyone have any experience with what works with Immortal Mystic? What to look out for, what might be a pitfall for a melee based caster?

There's someone planning to play a half-elf wild magic sorcerer, I don't know how much overlap there is there, though.

I don't plan on being super blaster-y, though I will obviously take Sunbeam and stuff like that.

>no one ever talks about assassin rogue

Is it just shit or something?

I honestly think a Rogue would be best, maybe a Thief if you want no magic. Then multiclass 5 into Battlemaster if you want to.

Just ask if you can use the disarm rules in the DMG, take Expertise in Athletics and push, prone, disarm, grapple and think of anything else you can do to get the upper hand.

UA ranger dip. If you still don't know what's so good about it, you should reread the text.

>"Cutting Word: ... attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll"

Don't have them in their order memorized but if you've succesfully done the first one, move on to the second. Alternatively, LMoP is always a thing.

Assassin was already the weakest subclass, but Thief was already p strong. Other possibilities include just making it a 3rd level rogue feature?

You are and will be fine. at least 13 of each of Int and Wis are necessary. If you're getting a Heavy Armor (prof granting) domain, you don't need dex, otherwise 14 is what you'll need for the rest of your life. It'll all play fine. Sure, you'll be stronger than a straight wizard way later on, but for the first long while you'll feel that one level lag. You'll still be fine the whole time. It's neither meme levels of too strong or too weak.

The most interesting thing about following Pholtus: His followers don't believe other gods exist.

They're very rigid and lawful too, believing in the One True Path. Brush up on your Hymns as well.
>O Blinding Light,
>O light that blinds,
>I cannot see,
>Look out for me!

From the description he's likely going to go Light Cleric, which is basically a blasty-wizardy cleric normally so it doesn't overlap in what anyone would really call a munchkinny manner with wizard.

Too many condition to fullfill for one critical hit.

Is it wise for a valor Bard to dip into paladin for two levels for smite?

>>"Cutting Word: ... attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll"
None of which are Saving Throws

Check the wording on Bardic Inspiration for a counter example, which can indeed be used in Saves

Smite, heavy Armor, fighting style..

Yeah, a 2 level pally dip is obligatory

None of that is saving throw. Thanks for proving my point.

> Inb4 retard think saving throw is an ability check

I might even suggest starting with pally 2, so you don't have save proficency on your dump stat

It's not great. Fulfilling the conditions to get your critical is harder then it looks and none of it's other abilities come up in most games.

I personally will let an Assassin who's managed to get into a perfect position to assassinate someone make a Critical Hit against an enemy without all the initiative stuff because I have a Changeling one in the party who enjoys it.