/btg/ Battletech General!

---------------------------------
Put Me in the Trash, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – UPDATED (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

(new)
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-04-12 - Still getting worked on & now has 11483 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-03-26!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4409772/US-drops-biggest-non-nuclear-bomb-combat-time.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

haha japan did nothing wrong hold

First for Purple Burd!

can't stop won't stop

Fuck all this real world talk, let's have "Fuck yo planes Charlie Murphy!" talk.

Fuck you, Riflemen II don't exist. Gray Noton's Rifleman was a stock -3N.

None of this exists. It's cheesy science fiction about giant robots in an alternate universe. Rifleman II is fine.

I agree, Noton was definitely in a stock -3N, and anyone who says otherwise is someone who can't be balls to the wall with it, but I like the RFL-II... and the III. The latter needs a Mixtech variant, which I have right here!

Did you know Charlie Murphy is dead? Fun fact: he died recently.

That's why I brought it up, actually.

A Rifleman-III with ammo isn't a Rifleman-III. It's some abomination unto the Lord Noton.

Ew, XL engine and Guass rifles in the torsos? I expected better from you. Come back with the quad Guasses, null-sig, SFE and max hardened armor, and it'll be good.

This elite crew of Kurita mechwarriors are on their way to seize your homeworld, and all you have are a lance of mechs to defend it.

What's your lance consist of?

And what song is playing?

Two AIV Urbies with a nuke each. Two Yeomans modified with gigantic speakers. We'll nuke them twice, make them apologize for their wrongdoing, and broadcast american media at them for the next 50 years.

As for the song, something pop from 1945.

It has gotten banned from grinder Solaris games, because of the four kills in one turn my cousin got with it.

I've got you buddy. Monkey Paw

Like they'd apologize. It's not like they did anything wrong in the first place.

Two nukes says "you're wrong, because fuck you". It's a good system.

And to not leave the filthy clanscum out of it, take this too.

Knew that'd draw you out. Good to see where your buttons are.

It's pretty disgusting, CA. 4 GRs with 7 tons of ammo is a lot. That other one is just ridiculous, btw.

Are any of the Draconis mechs developed in the 3050s and 3060s any good?

Aside from the omni line.

Take these over the Urbie. More shots.

Some of them have the potential to be but are stuck with SHS. Even their upgrades of classic designs suffer from this. The Panther, a design that could use DHS, is deprived of them for a while.

I believe they make a variant of the Hatamoto-chi, the -28T, that has DHS and is all around pretty good for the era.

The Komodo is an amusingly nasty urban fighter, for one

Wasn't the Komodo initially made to deal with elementals before it became 10 points of armor plus 1 point for the operator?

I would probably do the same as
but my pilots would all be over six feet tall, blond with a square chin unless they were black guys or Koreans, having big penises or chicks with long blond hair and a huge Jap-unobtainable rack.

Okay, I'm thinking of branching out to a new game and this seems kind of interesting.

Sell me on Battletech, /btg/.

Elementals have always been 10+1, so no.

Bigger problems with it are the rules changes on Infernos and its shitty armour.

Unbelievable amounts of customization to your liking. Like of both derp and silly history. Lots of time periods in which to play. Mechs and tanks as well as other military units evolve as technology increases. Great vidya as well. Pretty great community (here, only here.) Some silly inside jokes. A lot of great guys here that are helpful to newbies. Long history of awesome.
There are some problems, but it's been worth it for me since I started when I was a kid in the mid-80s.

Do you like Giant Robots, dynastical fuckery from Dune, centuries of war, MASSIVE 80s HAIR and a relatively slow game? If so, this is a good game. Most people admit to not playing the game and following the fluff only, which is fine too.

Also, anons, I have too many customs, and editing the omnis to say their gear is now pod mounted is physically painful.

>Elementals have always been 10+1, so no.
This has to be some faulty memory on my behalf, because I thought the original TRO when the Clans showed up had older battle armor sheets with only ten armor slots then the unit was out of action. Don't mind me.

TRO 3050 does say they have 10 armor, but the rules are clear that it's 10 armor, then one point of meaty "internal structure" to kill them. They've always been able to survive an AC 10 or PPC hit.

Nah man. Even in the BoK trilogy, Shin Yodama tags one in the face with a large laser and it just laughs him off. Toads were feared for a reason.

But then at least you had Citytech rules where a lance of Wasps loaded with infernos could mop some points up in double time.

You know, it's kinda funny how many things considered mediocre or shitty nowadays were pretty great generalist designs back in the day.

Then it's my shoddy memory. I haven't done any Clan missions with elementals in a long ass time and just forgot and thought the rules changed at one time. My bad.

Tons of customization, tons of options for units, plenty of cheeky history (in fluff and in what some players have done on the tabletop). Pretty solid community here on Veeky Forums (I do not advise the official forums or reddit for BT). If you're a fan of lots of options and a methodical, tactical game that still has room for silliness, BT might just be right up your alley. Also, giant robits errywhere.

It's more inconsistency and a change of terminology. The BA record sheets in TRO 3050 had 11 boxes (numbered 0-10) but the rules said Elementals had 10 points of armor and a trooper was out of action when the armor was gone. BT Compendium rules state them as having 11 points of armor. It was later that they expressed things BA durability as armor+1.

>but the rules said Elementals had 10 points of armor and a trooper was out of action when the armor was gone.
That was it! I knew I kind of remembered something like that. Thanks, man.

Four nightstars, aiming for the knees.
Take them all alive and do absolutely nothing bad to them, because we're professionals, not dracs

>Did nothing wrong

Rifleman II is fine. Grey Noton never drove one, but it's a fine mech in it's own right

It doesn't matter what 'Mechs we have. We get fucked just because we're part of FRR and FRR exists pretty much only to get shit on by everyone else, then get rekt and eaten by the Clans. (I still love FRR, though.)

>Rifleman II is fine. Grey Noton never drove one

That's not what Randall said. Noton drove a Rifleman II, as per the totally canon MWO fluff Randall wrote. You can not like it, but Noton never drove a stock 3N Rifleman on Solaris.

>implying you're not Kuritas
>Kuritas coming to take the Kurita homeworld
>just another day in the Kokuryu-Kai.jpg

Should Rapid-Fire be the default rule for machine guns?

The option should be a default choice like ECM modes, but it should not always be engaged. Sometimes you need those things at zero heat even if the damage is less. Like on a Pixie. That thing runs hot enough as it is.

The option to turn it on is better than on by default. Otherwise the Gunapult is even sillier.

>fire it once and it explodes and/or the pilot bakes alive

The perfect solhama machine

battle bump

Thanks, now I have ideas to make a Gunapult IIC.

Besides one having a larger weapons loadout and a double-edged axe, what the hell are the visual differences between the Hatchetman and the Axman?

You mean other than armor, and tonnage - the primary stat for determining melee damage (weapons included)?

Sorry, I'm retarded and have 3/4 of a bottle of wine in me. I thought it was general differences; visually, everything's bigger and the Axman has a shoulder/side torso missile launcher. Not counting handheld weapon variants.

Hatchetman is like a chick with a b cup.
Axman is like a thicc chick.

Pardon the quick sketches, but something like this?

Probably need to enlarge the lasers, the autocannon and the hatchet to make it look more like a heavily armed 45 tonner.

My player are in need of a boss for their mercenary command. I was thinking of using a former Fed Suns or FWL battalion major as the basis of the character. If the major survived conflict between the FedCom civil war and end of the Jihad, what would their command skills and mech skills look like? Let's assume the game will be starting just before a heavily AU'd RotS becomes a huge thing (and maybe just ends of breaking down quickly, I admit I haven't decided that yet)

That's actually pretty good; the Hatchetman was always slim, and the Axeman was always kinda stout for its size. The AC on the Hatchetman could stand to be a bit bigger, but not too much. You could also experiment with giving it a cowl much like the Hunchback has to give it a distinct look. Or, mount it just above the waist like an Atlas since traditionally it's located around the upper chest, and the change might make for an interesting profile without making it feel so similar to the Axeman.

Hatchetman also has a little sphere on the left side of the head.

Where is the b cup I was promised

Sports bra. Things are compressed.

The mechanics are tremendously clunky, the lore has 35 years of publication history that you need to know all of to have any decent conversation, and the player community is the worst I've ever seen for any game ever. If you're into that sort of thing, Battletech is probably up your alley.

>Even in the BoK trilogy, Shin Yodama tags one in the face with a large laser and it just laughs him off. Toads were feared for a reason.
LLs deal 8 damage so whether it takes 10 or 11 to kill them is moot, isn't it?

Aye, I'm going to make that sphere into a ball airplane camera.

Fine, geez.

Not safe for life

In the original art, the AC/10 of the hatchetman is either on the shoulder or depressed into the right torso, chest level. Here's a resized version with some sort of cowl, though I'm going to have to redesign it several times to get it to look unique from alex' hunchie.

My goals with all these doodles/ re-imaginings is to make them as faithful to the original as possible, for maximum brownie points.

It is but one would expect a large laser hit to incapacitate a BA trooper, if the warrior hadn't fought one yet. BT Small Lasers would leave an M1A1 Abrams a pool of molten metal and a large laser is nearly three times as powerful. Shooting a dude with one should cook him in his power armour can, but BT armour is magical and Elementals are pumped to gills on combat drugs to keep them fighting when injured or in pain.

wew

Oh-my...

>BT Small Lasers would leave an M1A1 Abrams a pool of molten metal
I see this make the rounds a lot, but I have a lot of difficulty believing it.

Cray did the working out for it a few iterations of the OF ago.

BT weapons are stupidly powerful because the armour is basically magical.

>Cray did the working out for it a few iterations of the OF ago.

So there's no canon source for this then.

I have to find that design I had somewhere for the smallest mech I could mount a HGR on, called it the Noisy Cricket IIRC.

OF musings are canon, shitlord.

On a different note, should the Axman have a centralized head or should it be to the side?

It's art shows that it's head is slightly to the side like with a thunderbolt, but personally I find the centered head to look more concise to the overall design.

Couldn't find it so I made it. Try not to fire while moving, it's prone to blowing you on your ass.

I like the centered head, especially when it carries over to the variant with the twin LRMs.

Normally I'm a fan of strong asymmetry, but in this case, I'm gonna have to opt for centered as well.

>unnecessary heat sink
>small cockpit
Why.jpg

Personally, I think that Hatchetman must have a wide range of movement of limbs in order to fight melee attacks.
Since the cowl of a large autocannon (like a hunchback) obstructs the visibility of the right side and melee attack, I propose to put an autocannon on the abdomen like Atlas or Orion.

I like centered head better

I originally went small so I could have 12 HS but instead I gave it an extra ton of armor to cover the left arm better. 12 would have been heat neutral for a frontal alpha strike on the run, this'll be +1 on the run instead. Oddly enough it's not showing the extra armor on the arm. Went 12 on the left and 7 on the right.

It might be obvious but I don't build mechs and when I do I normally just make a dumb concept design or refit something that exists already.

I suspect that offset head is probably more the result of borked perspective than anything.

Plus offset head is less friendly to the AXM-2N.

So I started a pirate campaign, and the generated "raid" contracts are paying income and providing less then 100% salvage rights, when the current AtB rules have them providing 100% salvage. Is there something wrong or do I just manually change them?

>40t
>XLFE/Endo
>6.5t standard
>4/6/4
>HGauss w/2t ammo
>Mlas, ERSlas

There. No Small cockpit and better mobility.

Also cheaper Cbill wise but an uptick in BV.
Considering finding a way to wedge a c3 in there somehow.

Would C3 be worth it? Too slow and flimsy to make a good spotter and the damage loss over range probably wouldn't be worth it with the HGR would it?

Yeah, I guess it is.

Here are a couple of alternatives. Ball-joints will enable the arms and legs to achieve the increased range of mobility required for a melee weapon wielding battlemech.

The rest of the weapon assembly would need to protrude from the backside or the side near the waist, otherwise the AC10 won't look menacing enough and will make the rest of the mech look much larger in comparison.

I like option A the best.
Option D actually looks better to me, but it's a little too much like the Hunchback

Incidentally, I find it pretty good weird that there's never been a hatchet Hunchback, because of all mechs, the Hunchback makes nearly the most sense as a axe murderer

>The rest of the weapon assembly would need to protrude from the backside
Sounds good, remember that the Hatchetman does share the rearward quick reload clip feature of the Enforcer, so a bit more to the rear could work well with that.

D, or number 4 for me, hands down. The others don't have that possible range of motion for the cannon and doesn't look fierce enough.

On the side I noticed the shoulder joints stick out a bit compared to the 3025 original. It makes your design look less flimsy even though the old Hatchetman doesn't have a lot of armor. Yours looks more like a front line fighters.

In any case, I like it.

It is really wonderful design!
I think that the configuration of the second from the left (option B) is good.
If clip-type feeding mechanism like Boforce 40 mm protrudes on the back side, it will look like option B.

If you want "power" in the illustration seen from the front, how about depicting AC10 as a thick armor tube wrapping multiple barrels?

It is possible to use a FOAB (Father of all Bombs) type weapon in BT? I mean have some 30-ton VTOL or aerospace fighter drop one of these instead of a portable nuke?

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4409772/US-drops-biggest-non-nuclear-bomb-combat-time.html

edit: - While listening to the news story on the radio it was called the "Father of all Bombs" and yet the article says Mother of all Bombs. In any case, one of these.

Have you drawn the Bushwacker before?

If not I'd like to see your take on it.

Anyone here have Bushwacker variants to share? I've had a soft spot for the thing since MW3.

MWO already did it

Alex/ FD already kind of did the bushwacker.

So an lrm 10 clusters into two groups of five, both hit the internal structure of the right torso, do you confirm for crit once or twice?

Twice. There are two separate instances of damage to the torso location, therefore you check twice.

Twice. If both hit the internal structure.

Is there a way to edit the generated contract incomes/salvage rights in MekHQ or do I just have to rewrite the contract by adding a new one? The edit option seems only to affect dates and employers.

I was looking at both the 3025 and the 3050U images, as well as the battle of twycross hatchetman.

The 3025 one has an angled perspective, while the 3050U ones have wide shoulders compared to the hips.

Yeah, some form of protrusion for the mechanical and ammo assemblies in the back, though not too egregious.

I could go with option C and mix it with D a bit. Cannon assembly at armpit level, barrel longer to show that it's an AC/10, and some form of integrated cowl assembly. The one on the D is rather heavy handedly copied from the hunchie.

Every time you score a hit against IS, roll for crit. While it's from a single attack, it's considered two hits. If it scored hits against both RT and LL, and both were down to IS, that's still two crit rolls, one against the RT, one against the LL.

Centurion or Enforcer?