EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Thanks for the mana rocks bro edition

PREVIOUSLY: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Do you run infinite combos, or do you shy away from them? Does it depend on your group?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/new-new-world-order-2013-04-01
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-sixth-praetor/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

One guy in my group whines about combos, but the rest of us just ignore him.

I always keep at least one infinite combo in my decks; but I won't use them unless someone else is using one or to spike the football when I'm going to win without it anyway.

It depends on the deck, but I have a few purposefully shy of infinite combos just to say that I can win without them.

I just realized my brother is my groups That Guy. He plays U affinity then when we ramp up artifact hate he says were all just butthurt and we should get cards that are more versatile.

Fuckkkkking -A.

I intentionally avoid any deliberate infinites in any of my EDH deck. I feel that comboing out diminishes the fun somewhat of the format (at least for me) and also leads to deck power levels escalating out of control.

not a fan of infinite combos but it's okay once it's clear the person would win if the game continued as is, like the miracles player with top+balance and nothing else going on but have the opponent completely locked out and topdecking

Depends on the combo, if it takes less than 5 turns is not fun, after that sure. At least everyone got to show their cards/decks.

Depends on the deck, I would say. Ultra try hard turn 3 infinites are pretty gay. If someone manages to go infinite when the game has dragged on for 90+ plus minutes sometimes Im even thankful for it.

QUICK WHAT ARE THE BEST TOKEN GENERATORS IN JUND I NEED TO KNOW

My breya deck is combo central but I reserve them for late game as a way to wrap up the game instead of just early turn kills. Also my combos kill my opponents so nothing like a disk lock.

Krenko, if you're in a shatter gang deck

I run Kikki + ZC in all my red decks but I just really like the cards and don't actually combo with them unless I need to. I also avoid tutors as much as possible so if my deck does run an infinite combo I can't just tutor for the other part when I draw half of it.

Prossh

Do you find that it makes it hard for you to convince people that you're not a threat if they know you have those in your deck?

I've had both out at once and used Kikki on ZC to steal another permanent, they know that I don't like to combo with them. My decks are pretty solid so I get a bit of focus anyway, but I don't think the combo has much impact on it.

>52680587
>You do realize

You do realize starting your post with the words "You do realize" makes you seem like a tremendous douchebag? In fact you have the telltale characteristics of an insufferable blue playing autist. Never ever reply to me again, especially if you just want to make some inane, irrelevant point about mana burn

Holy fuck that's a lot of butthurt. Here's a (You) to heal the wound.

That depends, do you want reliable tokens or many tokens? What are your synergies? Are you going Big Mana?

Goblin Offensive is pretty solid if you can pay a massive X. If you mass goblins, Krenko will do a lot. Krenko's Command/Dragon Fodder will of course do a lot of good work.

Bitterblossom makes tokens that are slightly higher quality but not so much that you feel bad about sacrificing them, and after a two mana initial investment it does so for free every turn. If you just want a sudden injection of sacrificial bodies, I'm partial to Sengir Autocrat. If you keep bodies on the field, Sprout Swarm is always an option.

Lim-Dul confirmed for joining in Gatewatch

Thanks for the advice. I'm building an artifact-centric shattergang brothers.

Plot Twist: It's Lim-Dul's trapped spirit that makes the Chain Veil so Powerful/Evil, and he actually will join the Gatewatch after successfully hijacking a Planeswalker body to do so with.

Then include Hammer of Purphoros and Mirrorworks. Tamiyo's Journal is also playable

He's inside Gidlet, who dies in trials and Lim-Dul reveals himself, turning into white magic with the power of friendship and becomes white Jace

What kind of deck produces the most salt in 1v1 EDH? Mono U control?
I want people to start sperging out in the store.

Lots of groups hate instant-win combos and infinite loops. Try that.

In competetive 1v1? There should be no salt.

Just play a tuned Edric list, since it sounds like you're not using the Duel Commander rules. Nothing pisses off the casual babbies more than getting time walked four times in a row.

He's Raven man.

What game is this

Oblivion

>Search for up to X basic land cards from your library and put them onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library. X is equal to number of tapped creature you control.

>Do you run infinite combos, or do you shy away from them? Does it depend on your group?

I don't think they should be the goal of my decks, but I usually include one or two so that I can close out a game that goes on too long. Usually in the form of infinite mana combos, but I sometimes add a combo that outright kills just so we can end it. It's mostly to put a clock on durdley pillowfort players who sit and do nothing. I don't use combos that drag out the game though.

is just rampant growth on t2 with a dork
is amazing late game to get more mana and seriously thin your deck of like 10+ lands

>landfallintensifies.png

is there something like inspiring statuary for convoke?

Did this really need to be rare?

Double Secret Plot Twist: He hijacks a woman just so Wizards can claim they have a Trans character in the Gatewatch

This. Edric is pure value, and in 1v1 he's completely one-sided advantage.

Neded to, say, cost 2 more and have convoke.

I'd love that because Wizards attempts at "diversifying" the cast usually end up being hamfisted and hilarious to the point of almost outright mocking the minority group they're trying to represent. I think it's fucking hilarious.

It's possible it was too stronk in limited at uncommon.

A multiple card tutor is fairly complex.

I don't think it's complicated at all. I think it's how often they wanted to have it come up in limited, which is basically no but it isn't mythic worthy.

I don't think that's the case at all.

maybe because it makes the player shuffle?
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/new-new-world-order-2013-04-01

NWO only effects commons.

>Do you run infinite combos, or do you shy away from them? Does it depend on your group?

3 of my 5 decks are infinite because of the group I play with are tryhard spikes who only find fun it being as brutal as possible. But they immediately change to timmy if you remove their wincon. I hate my group and I want new people

I slot one infinite combo in most of my decks just to get out of boardstalls. I don't really love using them, since it doesn't always feel like I did anything aside from stumble into the right pieces.

Sometimes the game just has to fucking end, though,

does that mean the creature has to be in play when it goes into the graveyard or at the end of turn

first one

Thats a really solid card for a Mikaeus deck

>Copy and paste a Jhoira deck because I want to get back at two other guys for playing some unfun shit
>Do typical Jhoira bullshit, including getting a bunch of fucking annihilators pushing in everyone's shit by turn 6
>No one is having any fun, not even me
Is it possible to have a semi-competitive Jhoira deck that doesn't rely on Eldrazi? Swinging with shit that has annihilator by t4 just feels bad. I'd like to make her into a more spellslinger-type deck, but I'm not really seeing how I could make it viable.

Also, I find it odd WotC has called suspend an overly complicated mechanic for new players to grasp, then went and make a starter deck with her.

Everything WotC does delights me on some level. There is such a strange combination of good design, poor taste (? or something). I have 30% shit taste in everything and my balance/motor skills fail at around the same rate - I cannot help but sympathize with being fundamentally incapable of not fucking up a good chunk of the time.

this seems okay.

That does seem ok.

R burn
Zurgo is a plague

I think it could work in tron or commander but it's shit anywhere else

Play derevii instead, and wait for the hate

Oh spicy lords of magical christmasland, my memnarch deck can turn 5 colourless into 5 blue. That's a degenerate card, get em while the gettin's good.

perfect for 5color
very unsure if this is going to be used at all in standard

I don't think tron will want it.

Well it's still useful for color filtering but yeah i admit it's still pretty shitty even in tron

How do you guys like it?
2 cmc 4/3 that only requires you to discard a card.
Cant you activate spells you are going to discard on the stack?

>Taps to Filter
It's nice but not so much amazing? Like, for four or five colors I don't see it not being an autoinclude and it might even make the cut in 3 if there's a decent amount of going big with colorless in the deck. But it can't replace Gemstone Array for transforming an infinite colorless combo into infinite anycolor, which is something I'd really like to have.

That's great for standard but it's shitty in commander. There are far better discard outlets for equal or less mana.

>Cant you activate spells you are going to discard on the stack?
What the FUCK are you talking about? Madness? No, seriously, did you get brain damage?

That card's probably going to go places in 20-life formats, but EDH is the kind of place where Tarmogoyf is rarely worth including. Mana-Efficent beats just aren't worth it, especially not at the cost of card disadvantage.

>Cant you activate spells you are going to discard on the stack?
Are you retarded? Don't randomly mix actual game terminology together.

I like it for the indestructible clause. Other than that, it's not that much of a card, unless you play many colours

>That card's probably going to go places in 20-life formats
Do you have brain damage?

What? You mean that can you cast the spell you discard? You can't, unless it has madness. That said, that card is garbage for EDH, you don't want vanilla beaters no matter how cheap they are.

It's a really efficent beater, Modern and Standard aggro/midrange decks are made almost exclusively by efficent beaters.

RDW decks, Stompy decks, and Madness cards are things.

>implying it's not gonna be a thing
Do YOU have brain damage?

Amazing for the jin-jan eldrazi that was talked about last thread.

>tfw you finally get your Silent Blade Oni + Sword of FaF + Aggravated Assault combo through

Nothing like making someone watch you cast all their spells before you remove them from the game.

Casting Boundless Realms in Grixis will never not feel incredible

None of you fags gave me feedback on my deck last thread so I'm posting it again

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-sixth-praetor/

>Cookie cutter Ezuri

wow dude that sure is a collection of thin cardboard arranged together into a pile of 100 I'll give you that

I've been failing to get anything out of Mindleech Mass for ages, I really should pick up Silent Blade Oni.

Thanks for giving me what I asked for at least, despite you being a fag about it.

I run both because the deck is built around effects like that (combat triggers I mean not just stealing spells), they just need protection. Darksteel Plate, Mask of Avacyn, Swiftfoot booties, even Kira the glass spinner.

Imagine Silent Blade Oni and Wrexial buffed with Savage beating, casting multiple spells for free from both the hand and graveyard. That's the Imperium of Man type of Battlecruiser this deck aims to be.

Add Cultivate&Kuldama's Reach, Triumph of the Horde, Awakening Zone&From Beyond

I played Saskia for the first time and realized something... My playgroup is a bunch of assholes. Multiple times I was poised to kill two people at once by swinging out at one, and every single time the person I was swinging out at scooped out of spite so the other guy could attack all-out at me now that I was tapped out. Shit sucked.

>When two people always refuse to attack each other no matter the board position

Hey are you the Nicol Bolas deck guy? I remember your deck, all sorts of funny combat triggers.

It's a standard deck, I mean you could try and find room for Triumph of the Hordes. Also nice tech with Watcher of the Web.

So is quitting a state based action? Does it negate the stack like Time Stop?

I've never had anyone scoop in that situation, seems like it would be a "Yeah you're not coming back to the playgroup" kinda thing but maybe I just play with decent people.

I am that guy yes, though the deck hasn't much been updated in all the time I've had it. Taking cards out is like pulling teeth.

One shotting people with a double striking Nicol Bolas that buffed mid combat by Necropolis Reagent is just so good. Whenever it delivers it delivers so hard I can't help but not care it doesn't work a lot of the time.

>Playing Bosh years ago
>Another player spends the entire game attacking me despite other people having scarier commanders, ends up getting me into the single digits
>Eventually get a Hellkite Igniter, equip it with Loxodon Warhammer and swing at him for 60~ lifelinking damage
>He scoops before it connects
>Die before I get another turn
I hate those players with a passion

>Taking cards out is like pulling teeth.
I copied your list on Forge and tried tinkering with it because the idea sounded interesting and yeah, it's hard to take cards out. It's decks like yours that sometimes makes me wish decksize in EDH was 150 or something like that.

The few that show up at my LGS are the worst. They're always scowling and never look like they're having any fun, even if they're winning. They usually play stax or hardcore control decks and start whining and complaining when anyone is playing an aggressive deck because it's "not fair".

"Tactical" concession is probably one of the big hotbutton issues of multiplayer magic in general and EDH in specific, right up there with MLD and Infinite Combo. By the Rules as Written, you can concede at any time, period, and everything related to your game loss (such as you ceasing to exist) happens immediately with no regard to the stack or anything like that. IIRC it's "faster" than State-Based effects, even which will be checked after. This means that your last act can, again by the RAW, be to concede in order to spite your killer out of things like Saskia damage, lifelink, and other such triggers. Whether doing so is "Entirely fair" or at least "Poor sportsmanship" I feel there will NEVER be an agreement on.

Personally, I don't like it. When you lose the game, you lose the game, and there's something wrong to me about taking a loss "tactically" or otherwise for personal game, playing kingmaker with your demise. It's RAW, so if there's no other agreement that's how it'll be played, but around here there's the gentelmen's agreement that if it matters whether you conceded or not, you can start picking up your cards but you'll be treated as "Alive" until end of turn or when you would have lost the game normally and everything will trigger based on that.

Aw shucks thanks user. It's a pretty casual deck I'm aware, complete fodder for a counter spell or stax deck but I play with people that are similar in timmyness; everyone is always to focused on building their own incredible board state to defend themselves with rather than just wrathing the board every turn. All the mana rocks are needed, the protection is needed, the creatures are expensive but they're the entire point.

>you can start picking up your cards but you'll be treated as "Alive" until end of turn or when you would have lost the game normally and everything will trigger based on that.

Seems like that should be the rules, I mean thematically a Planeswalker pussing out with an army about to kill them makes sense but that's just a hugely dick thing to do. I imagine the people that do it are seen as salty losers for a while then?

Funny story about that card. I was playing against a Ur Dragon deck with my Sydri Rocks deck. Other players were on Karn and Ulamog 2. Scion drops the Tyrant, and I follow up with Mycosynth Lattice, which was used by Scion to steal Ulamog's board. Good fun.

I ended up killing everyone's lands and creatures in short order, and eventually took the deck apart, but that was a fun moment.

God I would love to have that house rule in my concession-happy group. I've seen people insta-concede to a turn five bribery cast on them.

>Aw shucks thanks user
>user

Maybe they don't want your greasy sausage fingers sorting through their library losesomeweightholyshit

I've got everyone set to anymoose if he's a tripfag and that's what you mean.

> I've seen people insta-concede to a turn five bribery cast on them.

What do these kinds of people do afterwards? Do they leave? Do they sit there looking mad waiting for the next game?

It's standard procedure call everyone user, even trips. At least it seems most of the time.

>I've seen people insta-concede to a turn five bribery cast on them.
Now THAT'S what I call being salty.

if it's game 1, "I'm gonna go get some pizza. Anyone else wanna come?"

if it's game 2 they just go home