Opinion question to all the 40k fans out there:

Opinion question to all the 40k fans out there:

Which do you prefer from Warhammer artstyle? Super vibrant or ultra-gritty? I know they're not necessarily exclusive, but it's really something I find myself thinking about when painting models.

On one hand, Warhammer is probably second only to Warcraft in terms of sheer over-the-top design in western fantasy, what with all the massive shoulders and runic engravings - only losing out due to lack of things like pauldrons made of floating volcanoes.

But on the other hand it's Warhammer, and likes to play up the grit because of that, so sometimes I feel compelled to make everything look super worn-down and dirt-smeared.

Do you have preferences? Do you have favorite artists who you feel have captured the purest essence of 40k?

40k is so large all styles may fit. I like both the apocrypha things, the "ancient rememberancer scetches" and the photo aspiring actions shots of today.

The only art I don't like all that much is the old stuff from the RT times. I mean I smile with nostalgia when I see them and they indeed are cool in a way, but c'mon, a five year old child on LSD would draw better.

Give me Blanche or give me death.

Depends on the race for me. Nids and eldar and dark eldar can be vibrant but I like guard and Marines to be gritty and battle worn

I think I would say I'm somewhere in the middle.

Not a fan of the modern at all while the gritty I can take or leave depending on the actual scene.

I've always been somewhat split on Blanche.

I can't stand his "sketches" that are just blobs of red and brass but his actual art can be great, especially when he isn't drawing figures.

Got to agree with you on the Blanche stuff, I think his style best fits the demon art.

You get death.

Adrian Smith or Karl Kopinski had the best wh art.

I like it gritty. It's part of the reason I don't care so much for AoS over WHFB, all the art seems to clean.

Though mainly I just really enjoy the aesthetic of "gothic dystopia" over "valhallan aspect wars".

Then why don't you post some?

Gritty all the way.

I enjoy the vibrant aesthetic of modern 40k art. It just seems to make everything pop much more than any of the old stuff, and I've always felt that the older and more gritty artwork just seems so slapped together and sort of cobbled.

Keep in mind, I prefer a more nobledark setting as opposed to the full grimdark. I think that honestly may have something to do with the perference.

I kinda like both, and proper juxtaposition can be fun. For example, a muted IG army facing a bright, over-the-top ork army is awesome in my book.

What I don't like is stupid things treated seriously, like Tau Riptide Suits being treated as practical weapons platforms.

>Do you have preferences?
not particularly

The reason warhammer art's good is because it has that variety to it. Warhammer without the comical proportions or the baby-eating grit just wouldn't be warhammer.

I prefer the 3rd ed. adrian smith stuff

Because you are not worthy

>filename
Kek.

That aside, it depends on what the art is trying to convey for me. There are some images (like pic related) which are grey, dirty, gritty, and it fits the style perfectly. Anything brighter or more vibrant would destroy the atmosphere of the piece.

Though it is also possible to convey a grimdark atmosphere while retaining color and adding a visual "pop" to the art. Clean, bright, and vibrant art can convey a dirty, dark, and gritty setting if done correctly.

And an example of brighter, cleaner artwork that still has the 40k feeling to it.

It honestly is entirely about the feeling that the illustration is trying to illicit. Most of the art that I see now is trying to either be the kinds of graphics and such that the people of that faction would be seeing, or just actual reality.

Pic related because when I see art that's more like this, I can only imagine it being a human's artwork of an account of a Xenos battle he was never there to see.

That templar had a might feminine frame

I was thinking that myself. Looks like we've already found the fabled female Space Marines that GW are trying to work in (for some reason)

>fabled female Space Marines that GW are trying to work in

u fukkin' wot m8?

Woah, woah, time out. That motherfucker has a parrot for a dick. That's a whole goddamn parrot beak! Somebody's playing hardball!

There's rumors that GW are going to make female Space Marine models.

Totally unrelated to SJWs trying to insert themselves into a hobby they're not interested. Yup.

>rumors

Don't scare me like that user.

>tfw no more crotch mouth and ballsack gun