DMs, how do you treat aimed strikes?

DMs, how do you treat aimed strikes?

I have a player who probably played too much Fallout, every time he swings his sword he says "I aim at his neck", when it's a big monster it's "I try to stab his eyes".

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/called-shots/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I remind them that a called shot is made with a -8 penalty.

Almost positive that whatever hypothetical game you're talking about has explicit rules for assigning penalties to these attacks.

>a called shot is made with a -8 penalty
Jesus christ, what? Where does it say that?

It's DnD.

I have been acting like he tries to aim but only hits the body, only hitting the neck if it's a critical (since it will get added damage).

With this -8 penalty, how much damage is added if he hits?

Tell him no if you don't want called shots in the game.

If you want to be a dick about it, explain the dangers of having monsters and NPCs call their shots...
The first time a pack of wolves force him prone and "call their shot" to rip his throat out, or the royal guard "call their shot" and put a bolt through his heart, he'll change his tune.

They're difficult. Chopping off limbs is one thing (marginally more difficult than aiming for the torso). Aiming for someones eyes is extremely difficult.

It depends on what system I'm using.
Primarily, I use D&D 5e. Called shots aren't really a thing, except for a few options that imply it among feats or class features.
DMG variant rules include Disarm, which could be considered an aimed strike to the hand/weapon. Just a contested attack roll.
Anyone can attempt to shove someone prone; might be considered a called shot to the legs that immediately trips but doesn't slow permanently since the system doesn't really do lasting specific injury. Just contested athletics vs athletics or acrobatics.
As far as "damaging" called shots, Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Master feats give an option to taking -5 to hit for +10 to damage; it's implied to be a vitally aimed shot or wild swing respectively. But that's not only one of the most busted things in the game, but behind a valuable feat, so not open to everyone.
Battlemaster Fighters get maneuvers, that are just about the closest thing, that use a rest-limited resource. Many tag above effects to an attack as well as increasing damage. Tripping Attack, Disarming Attack, Pushing Attack, etc apply an effect on top of an enhanced damage attack.

Well, I actually wouldn't mind aimed shots every now and then but it's weird to go trying to behead every last outlaw that attacks you.

So yeah. I want suggestions of what would be a good penalty, what would be the advantage and so on. But I'm not sure DnD is equipped for it.

>if your player wants to make the game more fun for himself abuse his houserule instead of discussing it like an adult

Get the fuck off this board you cock

I generally don't like called shots in regular combat

AD&D 2e

>With this -8 penalty, how much damage is added if he hits?
Target loses their head. No additional damage.

I tell him that his character is already trying to aim for any vulnerable spots they're able to strike, and that a called shot would be redundant.

Hit points are an abstraction of defenses. A hit is a flesh wound, a guard break, waning stamina, a blow to one's confidence, or luck just simply running out. A critical hit, or hit that reduces a creature to 0 hit points, is a stab in the eye or a slash across the neck.

D&D doesn't support tactical combat like that. You'll want to use a different system where such options are available.

>player wants to make the game more lethal
>cries when it's now more lethal

Fuck off.

You open yourself to be hit if in melee. Take a penalty to trying to hit and the enemy gets a bonus to trying to hit. If you hit you get a damage bonus depending on the spot struck but are still open to getting hit. Ignore the penalty/enemy bonus to trying to hit you if ranged but still take the aiming disadvantage.

Use Pathfinders system for called shots.
d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/called-shots/

The attack takes a -2, -5, or -10 depending on where the shot is.

Have some of the attacks do half the rolled damage if this path proves too successful for the player. The other half of the damage is inflicted in the penalty the creature takes.

>A GM isn't allowed certain rules if the players are using them.
I bet you're a cuck that gets assblasted if an NPC caster casts an Enchantment spell on you.

My 5e is rusty, but isn't there a rule that allows a player to forgo their attack for advantage on their next attack roll?

Essentially taking time to "aim" their shot?

No.

WFRP rolls for location of hit randomly (reverse the digits of your roll, consult table), unless you aim at...a -20% penalty?

That is a cantrip, True Strike.

It's bullshit because nearly every swing or shot can be assumed to be aimed at vital or vulnerable areas.

Not true, the majority of shots and swings are aimed at the central body mass because it's easier to hit.

Center of mass is also where people keep most of their vital organs.

Not as deadly as aiming at the head.

I don't have my book handy but I'm pretty sure if you Aim you strike a body part of your choice but you don't get the +10% to hit like you normally would.

>player who doesn't go "i attack. I attack. I attack." every turn

I treat that player well.

>DMs, how do you treat aimed strikes?

Besides what the rulebook alreayd says (you take a -2k0 penalty unless you have the skill) I do things that are more common sense than anything:
Hitting the arms can make the defender drop what he was holding or being unable to use what he was holding, hitting the legs might cause him to trip and fall to the ground, hitting the head can make him blind or stunned for one round, etc...

I encourage players to be more creative with their attacks, so long as it doesn't become a means of them abusing the game. I try to give my martial characters bonuses for developing a fighting style so long as they try to stick to it as best as possible. I discuss this sort of thing with my players before a campaign begins in such a way that it was openly discussed beforehand.

The only thing I can see here is if they choose to call a shot every turn give them a defensive penalty for the risk of the attack should they fail to hit. Something along the lines of saying that because they shifted their weight to reach that point of their enemy's body that they are a bit more off balance and are a bit easier to hit as a result.

I think saying where you're aiming isn't awful. In dnd you have to be careful because my method kind of defeats the point of stuff like power attack, but it works in 5e. Just say trying to hit, aiming for center of mass, or aiming for weak points, with the first being a +1 to hit and lower the critical range by 1 (or damage by 1 if critical is 20 only), the second being normal and the last being -2 to hit +2 damage. It adds a little to the game in terms of decision making without being broken, but I dunno if it's really necessary.

My feeling is that the dice decide you hit the neck when you high roll someone at full health and kill them, called shots shouldn't necessarily be a thing.

I play Pathfinder so called shots are part of the rules.

Take a -20 to the roll as a full action unless you have the Precision Killer talent, add penalties/bonuses related to the size of the area they are trying to hit, roll dice, apply effects.
In d20 games, I generally allow them for a small penalty, and give a commensurate advantage, such as Combat Advantage, making the enemy stunned/dazed/flatfooted/sickened for a round.
Repeated blows to the same location will create a encounter long penalty of thematic choosing. I once had a pc chop the tail off a manta ray they were fighting, causing it to lose it's poison sting attack.

So... why do you lot seem so against called shots?
They are really only as broken as you allow them to be. Just because a player says they are making a called shot at an enemy's head doesn't mean they will immediately slay them.

Every system I've run has had a mechanic for calling shots, often one that requires a perk or other character investment.
Allowing somebody to bypass that investment punishes anybody who took the proper steps.

Why not just use Mythras/RQ where each limb has its own HP/AP?

In those systems, you can make a called shot at a penalty, and investment allows you to not take that penalty.
Also, few systems allow called shots to immediately render an enemy noncombative.
As a GM, simply saying, here is the penalty, work out the effect with the player (and limitations), go one with your day.
>Allowing somebody to bypass that investment punishes anybody who took the proper steps.
So offer that person something more? I don't see why that is so difficult from a GM pov.

I love how I didn't mention what systems I run and you're trying to tell me how they work.

And what system are you talking about, since my advice was system agnostic on purpose?

>In those systems, you can make a called shot at a penalty, and investment allows you to not take that penalty.
>system agnostic on purpose

I let my players attack specific areas if they have advantage.

If they succeed with 1 dice they hit as normal, if they succeed with both dice on the advantage then they get the added effect of their target area.

>proceeds to not answer questions, rather shitpost instead while ignoring half the post
Are you another one of those people that pretend to play games on Veeky Forums?

Every real fighter aims his shots. Let your players do the same. When you have a player who says "I aim at his neck," there's nothing mechanical you NEED to do as a DM.
"I aim at his neck"
>player rolls attack and damage, he hits, but the damage is not enough to kill the enemy
"While you aim at his neck and attempt to hack at it with your blade, the enemy is quicker than you thought and manages to evade so that your blow is not lethal and you only deal him a glancing wound." The character knows that his hit was "successful" mechanically in dealing damage, but his called shot was not successful in decapitating the creature.
Just use some fucking creativity. Why are unimaginative people like you even DMing in the first place?

You clearly know exactly what systems I run, so why would I need to answer the question you yourself claim to know the answer to?
Just admit you fucked up.

I just asked what system you ran, you fucking autist, if you can't answer, I'm gonna assume you are merely a shitposter.

you're kinda looking like a twat here, sure you're not mixing up posts?

And in case you're not mixing up posts. What the fuck? He said that you can use a modifier because some systems do that, where are you getting the idea that he knows exactly what systems you run?

Yes, I'm sure.
I made a general statement about the systems I run, without specifying which systems I run.
I was then informed that the systems I run don't work that way, despite the person trying to correct me having no way to know what systems I run. He then started trying to cover his ass.

You realize more than one fucking person is responding to this thread, right? Oh god are you literally autistic?

No one tried to cover their ass, you just have serious issues with reading comprehension, or social interaction. There's no point in trying to call people out, just focus on your question if you don't actually know how to hold a conversation.

So... when are you going to tell me what system you are talking about?
I can think of a handful of systems that expressly allow for called shots, but then lock it behind class/feature gates making it virtually inaccessible for players unless they spend the resources for it. In some of those systems, the called shots are still variant rules introduced later.
So this is the part where I go full Tarkin on you and demand you name me the system.

I'm definitely not that guy, but I tend to say "I take a swing at its neck/body/head." more because I get bored of saying "I attack with my sword." over and over than anything else.
And boring for whoever's watching the stream.

I primarily play World of Darkness, and most people don't use the called shot rule for whatever reason.

It's a dice penalty, and with a certain amount or type of damage, causes significant wounds. It's probably one of the better done systems, because after all if you're playing a trickshot master, he should be able to blind a target if he overcomes the penalty.

He specifically says he should discuss the dangers of enemies taking called shots on him. Then he gives some examples to illustrate. Calm down.

>aiming at the head

This is entirely situation dependant.
Aiming at the head of man-sized and smaller targets have a greater risk of missing, but a higher chance of being debilitating. Anything larger and you're usually shit out of luck.

I used to hunt kodiak and if you were dumb enough to aim for the head you'd end up with a pissed off bear, charging you. If you were lucky and you penetrated the skull the bear might die before it gets to you, or die while mauling you. Otherwise you die, having given the animal a migraine.

We play GURPS so it's pretty common to do called shots. Works just fine.

I like that, bravo.