So I've never played any tabletop games, but I liked Warhammer: End Times- Vermintide and the new Total War warhammer...

So I've never played any tabletop games, but I liked Warhammer: End Times- Vermintide and the new Total War warhammer, what should I know before I go into it? My local game shop hosts a beginners dungeons and dragons game every thursday and I dont want to look like an idiot when I show up and am clueless. How to walk into there without social anxiety?

Uhhh...

A few things first, Vermintide and Total War Warhammer aren't related to the tabletop (Not even fluff wise), neither is dungeons and dragons, neither is social anxiety.

So, I'd say chill out dude, just go there, be curious and ask questions, people will love to answer and give their own insights.

Regarding the tabletop part, you have to be wary of 3 things : you will spend most of your time creating your army instead of playing it; the view of Warhammer you have coming from Vermintide and Total War Warhammer isn't the current lore in your gameshop (Unless it's not a Games Workshop); it's gonna cost a lot of money.

Wait so you like Warhammer, which is based on a wargame, so the logical conclusion is to go to a pen and paper rollplaying game that has nothing to do with warhammer?

What?

>what should I know before I go into it?
That the world of Warhammer Fantasy exploded and pretty much everyone died. It was then replaced with the Age of Sigmar which has an entirely different lore, aesthetic, and play style.

Decide if you want to do Age of Sigmar, or 40k. Warhammer died cause Geedubs wasn't beating enough money out of it. I'd suggest 40k cause local shops seem to have more games of that. (At least mine anyways.)

Warhammer Fantasy, the setting you like, no longer exists. GW axed it after a series of poor decisions on their part made it unprofitable. For some reason they still make Warhammer vidya, possibly because they know their new IP is too stupid-looking to be taken seriously by /v/ types.

Warhammer also isn't really related to D&D, so... I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. But really, all you need to do to get into D&D is show up and say you're new. Most DMs have gotten new people into the game and explained the rules multiple times.

It's not games Workshop

It was an option but Im just more into the setting honestly

So playing an entirely different setting is related to Warhammer how?

>It was an option but Im just more into the setting honestly
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is what you're looking for. Possibly also Mordheim. Both may be tough to find a play group for, but I wouldn't give up hope.

Stay friendly and open-minded and see where things take you.

Don't do anything made by GW. They make over priced, low quality games.

Check out Malifaux, Infinity, Guild Ball and STar Wars Armada, then go with the one whose setting you like best. You can find play groups all over the country.

Play a smaller, skirmish game to start out, and stay away from GW.

>How to walk into there without social anxiety?
How overweight are you?

If you really want to play GW, find your local store and get a free demo game. If you still don't hate it, play shadow war: armageddon for a while.

Do not buy a rulebook. 40k is due a new one soon, and iirc age of sigmar's is a free pdf download.

And trust me, you will not be the most awkward, overweight and/or autistic person in the store.

If youre interested in the wargame you could buy tabletop simulator for a fraction of the price of an army and play all factions that way.

>awkward, overweight and/or autistic person in the store
Vast majority of GW players right there.

...that is the worst idea I've ever heard.

"Just play a shittier videogame!"

I'm assuming you actually would like to play D&D, the team vs. the world game, rather than the head-to-head style of wargaming.
>How to walk into there without social anxiety?
pretty much you won't. keep it loose, listen and ask questions. you might want to read the Player's Handbook before you show up and get some ideas for what kind of character you'd like to play. Talk it over with the DM. It's a good idea to stay flexible on character concept and get a feel for what other people are playing. Being distinct offers your party unique skills, so consider choosing a different class from other players.

It's literally a board with the pieces you can download and tools to run a game when you don't have a thousand dollars to spend on models that don't actually mater much for the game. If that's the worst idea you've ever heard then you need to get the fuck out of the house for a day.

>liking things
>on Veeky Forums
That was your first mistake.

Hungry skellington tier, 5'11 and 145

Im pretty interested in both honestly, always been into Total War (somewhat comparable hopefully?), Ill keep all that in mind thanks.

Sad! Idk they book seem interesting and attract the same type of people AFAIK

both*

Most tabletop communites are pretty friendly, so I wouldn't worry. Just look up GW stores in you're area, and be ready to cough up a few hundred bucks.