>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
[YouTube] How to Magnetize a Tyranid Carnifex
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

First assault marine done.
Now that I've applied the blood and taken the photo I realised I should have done the tribal markings first. And that my bolt pistol highlights are botched as fuck. Shame the blood doesn't pop that much on the photo.

Still, another Void Brother done.

Try using some greenstuff on the jumppack to cover up the cracks.

My FLGS finally got my order of a single pot of Lustrian Undergrowth in after about a year of waiting. I'm not even mad. I thought this shit was OOP. The fact it took forever is just funny to me.

>Same thread image sub-edition
Neat. This and the last thread are the only times I've seen that image used without having posted it myself. I'm happy it's getting some use.

Yeah this one was already primed before I realised my mistake.
The others have all been filled.

On that note, I do recommend the jumpacks sold independently by GW. The molds are old, i.e some details might be a tad less sharp than on new sculpts, but honestly, 5 jumpacks for 5 pounds is pretty good, especially when you consider the lack of moldlines that they presented.

Thanks to that I'll be able to make another assault squad (albeit a more squatting one) without buying a whole kit.

>Finished painting 3 more stealthsuits
Slow but steady. What's your checklist for your current army, lads?

Aside from the stuff I have yet to convert and prime (3 more stealths, 4 turrets. shadowsun shield drone, ghostkeel, crisis commander, kroot assassin, remora drone) I have.

17/27 FWs
6/9 Stealthsuits
1/10 pathfinders
3/6 drones
Fireblade, Shadowsun, Darkstrider

Think I'll do like 4 pathfinders next in a batch.

For my current army I still have 5 devs, 5 tacticals, 4 assaults, 1 apothecary and 1 captain before I'll deem myself able to build something else. For that army that is.

That's not too bad, keep going! Is the colour scheme difficult? do you batch paint?

Light Grey/Orange or Dark Grey/Yellow?

The painter's colors kind of make them both look weird, even though they both look good on actual models

Where can I get some open books for a Librarian to hold? I'm repurposing Kurtha Sedd into a Librarian model, and I'd like to have the plasma pistol hand hold a book/scroll instead. I've got the hand already, but the book is eluding me. The Chaos Warshrine book looks best, but it's sold out in all bits stores *and* the model is apparently discontinued. I've been offered a few Ravenwing books, but getting a regular book from the cord-bound, bike-mounted version is likely to look pretty ugly.

Any suggestions?

It's , my Carcharodons. Getting an airbrush and having the priming and the grey basecoating done with it saves an immense amount of time.
After that I stop the batch painting and do it one by one otherwise I tend to rush stuff, and mose the pleasure in painting.

Right, it's the Tau'n scheme.

light grey/orange

All right /wip/, I fucked up and I'm coming to you for advice. I wanted to do gold inlay text on a Venerable Dread on a black panel. Did the gold over-all (too much, but I figured the black would cover it and it's an extremely thin coat), then went back with Abaddon Black... And it fills in the letters. No matter how much I thin or don't thin, it runs straight into the letters and leaves the raised plate uncovered, even on the one I left without the gold at all so far. I'm working with a W&N size 1 series 7, so I don't think it's the brush that's the issue.

Please send help. This is the one I didn't touch with black yet. Worst case scenario I can prime the cover bits and glue them in over the letters separately, but I'd rather have the engravings.

Checklist for current *models*, that I have done:
>0/1 Librarian
>0/2 Techmarine (one bike unprimed, one on foot primed and semi-based)
>2.5/10 Tacticals (interim till I do custom scouts)
>0/10 Sternguard (unassembled)
>0/5 Vanguard
>0.5/1 Venerable Dreadnought
>0/1 Deredeo Dreadnought
>0.1/1 Predator
>0/1 Lias Issodon for occasional counts-as Raptors matches
>Miscellaneous Skitarii, Tempestus, and Wraithblades to strip and either repaint or sell
Near future, once all that's done:
>6 drop pods
>Predator Infernus with plasma executioner
>Typhon
>40 Blackshield Marauders
>A whole host of other kitbashes I haven't even come across yet

First Chaos Lord. How does he look?

ah nice. Very sweet. With an airbrush I'd imagine you can probably do all of those guys in one sitting.

I'd consider it, seems so fucking easy. With a brush you have to be so careful in picking out details manually, doing 3+ thin coats. With an airbrush it's like "Just fucking spray", one coat gives you a perfect cover it seems.

>What's your checklist for your current army, lads?
Oh boy, let me count...

11 Scouts (5 CC/BP, 5 Sniper, 1 Heavy Bolter)
56 Tactical Marines w/ Bolter (7 Sergeants inc.)
9 Tacticals w/ Special Weapons (3 Grav/Plas/Flamer)
36 Devastators/Tactical Marine w/ Heavy Weapon (4 MM/GC/LC/HF/PC, 8 ML/HB)
2 Devastator Sergeants
12 Assault Marines (2 Sergeants, 4 Meltagunners, 6 CS/BP mooks)
5 Bikes (1 Sergeant, 2 w/ Gravgun)
1 Attack Bike
1 Land Speeder
2 Drop Pods
1 Rhino
3 Razorbacks
1 Baal Pred
2 Vindicators
1 Land Raider Redeemer
1 Stormraven
1 Cassor the Damned
2 Furioso Dreadnoughts
1 Furioso Librarian
1 Calth-temptor (Magentized; has a kitbashed Furioso Force Halberd)
2 Veterans
20 Sternguard
25 Death Company
20 Sanguinary Guard
20 Assualt Terminators
7 Tactical Terminators
2 Sanguinary Priests
1 Corbulo (proxy)
5 Librarians
1 Mephiston (proxy)
1 Captains
2 Terminator Captains
1 "Techmarine" (Tech-Priest Enginseer)
3 Chaplains (1 footslogger, 2 w/ Jump Pack)
1 Terminator Chaplain (kitbash)
1 Johnny
And a bunch of assorted Servo Skulls and Teleport Homers/Locator Beacons.
And this is just the Blood Angels. I also have some Skitarii, SoB, and Inquisition.
Most of these little lads are assembled for the most part, but are all missing a few little bitz here and there that are stopping me from priming 'em en masse. A few are primed and got a few base coats on 'em. Before I do some more work on them though I really need to get and an airbrush and some replacement hair brushes since the ones I got now have definitely seen better days. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to get the majority of what I need to get started on all this once I get my tax return.
I'm not looking forward to drilling 200+ bolters...

Very old pic, but I still got *most* of the models in here to do.

next time just use a gold paint marker to fill in the recessed spots.

Oh, I forgot I also have Dante and Seth to get done too. I also got two sets of legs I have no idea what to do with. Nothing is really screaming to me yet.

Are you doing any zenithal highlights on your sharkboys? I don't see any of them and it would be a waste to forgo them if you have the airbrush.

Shit, guys. Get it together!!

I believe in you. Come on!

Good idea for next time, though I'd like to avoid ever building a boxnaught again. Any suggestions for preventing fill-in this time around?

I'd be catching up, but I've got 60 pages of papers for my degree to write in a week, so a few things have been getting in the way. Can't stop me shitposting here during dinner.

I guess I could, although that would be a first, and I must admir I went for a cheap airbrush whcih isn't always working well, but I should try it on a throwaway model. It could give a goo result yeah.

Give it a try and show us the results! There's lots of tutorials on YouTube

Anyone seen a Piranha conversion with a closed cockpit?

I'm still getting some work done here and there, but I've been pretty strapped for both cash and time these past few months. I also have trouble due to medical complications, but I'm trying to get little lads done when I can. I'm still pretty new to this whole hobby so learning HOW to actually build and paint has been a challenge. I'm fairly confidant in my ability to build models, but painting is still vexing me something fierce.
Oh well, progress and improvement is all I ask, however slow it may be. I just wish it wasn't so costly and time consuming to practice.

I'm sorry mate, go at your own pace. Learn from it and enjoy it. What do you need help with?

Also, sorry to hear about your complications. i hope you will be healthy.

Oh boy.
>BLACK TEMPLARS
45 tacticals (Converting mkIII with tunics)
Leviathan Dread
Stormraven
2 Stormtalons
4 rhinos
3 vindicators
Spartan Assault tank
Imperial knight
3 drop pods

>CHAOS SPACE MARINES
20 Berserkers
10 Rubrics
15 basic CSM
Ahriman
Rhino
2 Helbrutes
Heldrake
Defiler
Decimator Engine
15 bikes
12 raptors
5 warp talons
literally 3 bags of cultists
Magnus

>DAEMONS
20 Bloodletters
10 Plaguebearers
20 Pink Horrors
2 Daemon Princes
Old Fateweaver
6 screamers
2 heralds on discs
Brass Scorpion
30 Chaos Hounds

I paint for people in my game group, in exchange for models, plus ebay deals are a hell of a drug. Worst part in I have not actually bought a model for close to 10 months now. Its all just clearing backlog and people giving me more shit. Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink

I've got two CSM figs and one Raptor, with horrible paint jobs from 10 years ago. Four days in Simple Green ain't doing much. Keep em soaking or try something else?

This will work wonders. Usually 24-48 hours works for me and the paint just sloughs off.

Tested it on FW, Chinacast, Plastic, Finecast, and metal and no damage to any. Usually in auto cleaning/ heavy section of stores, or at an autostore.

Good lord. I thought I had a lot but, fuck that. My backlog is tiny.

Being poor is sometimes a blessing.

Thanks!

Pic, as requested

Stop jacking yourself off.

it's more the painting for the group thing. I'm busy painting other models, so I cant chip the backlog, then given more models as compensation. Taking a break from group painting for a while.

I finished close to a company of space wolfs+ air support in a month so its not like I'm procrastinating.

Pic related is a wip of some of that job. Got a shitload of stuff for it though. Wish I had a completed shot of it all assembled.

>reading books

The codex astartes does not support this action

If I'm getting tiny bubbles when I paint what am I doing wrong? Paint too thin? To thick? Is this normal?

>blooding yourself before tattooing exile markings

Void Brother pls

Took user's suggestion from a few threads ago about his shoulder, even though I said I wouldn't. The simpler one is definitely an improvement. First time attempting patterns on cloth, it's not as apparent in the photo. After taking pics I noticed I forgot to paint one of the dangling totem things in his belt. Other than that I'm feeling pretty good about him.

Skavena scroll, maybe?

Funny enough, that Plague Monk book would work. But our blessed bits seller overlords have decided it's worth *five dollars* shipped for a single book. No winning here, but it'll likely be the route I end up going.

Fortunately, we don't support the Codex Astartes, so everything is good.

I'm building Raven Guard

10/20 scouts
7/15 tac marines
5/20 assault marines
1/5 Vanguard veterans
0/5 devastators
0,8/1 contemptor dread
0/1 Land speeder storm
And then a Jump Pack Librarian, Shadow Captain Shrike, and Edryc Setorax from the deathwatch box set.

After that I can finish building a drop pod, get 15 more tacs built and maybe think of getting more land speeders.

Hey, will this remove primer as well?

Sure will

How does a baby Horus make you feel?

Sweet, thanks.

Last question: Gloves needed when handling?

Anyone know any good places for bloodbowl stuff?

I don't think it's great, but it's pretty much my first time using real paints.

yes. it can cause some minor burns if it gets on skin. some normal dish washing gloves should be fine though, and once it starts rinsing off you can worry less. Make sure ALL of it washes off though, because if it gets left on it gets chalky on the mini and can be a hassle to get off.

Once you get done washing em in soapy water, throw em into a tub of normal water to get the last bits off.

Speaking from personal experience after NOT wearing gloves, yes. Yes you want gloves.

Looks pretty good, think you can give a better backdrop so we can see all the colors?
Can't tell what color his axe is because of the shadows

What sort of paint are you using?
Is this varnished?

chaos terminator lord has a open book, try on ebay for bits, it's a kit I often see pieces from, mainly because theress so many options for just one figure in it. it's not very chaosy looking, filing off the star on the cover should take care of it.

Working an assembling Cataphractii terminators but not sure if I should attach the arms/shoulder pads or paint them separately then put them on. Anyone had experience painting them?

WIP Lord Relictor, also working on lighting.

I got four tacticals, two primed and ready to start
Four Saguinary guard.
5 terminators
And I have one custodes I'm converting into a character.
I have a pair of wings on him and a space marine helmet and he kind of looks like it could be a Saguinius conversion if I wanted it to be.

I'm adding fur cloaks, and other bits to each, ontop of just starting to paint so my process is slow.

The terminators came with a nice little transfer sheet that has some nice white runes which is what I was going to try my hand at free handing, so that's an nice little surprise. Time to learn how to add transfers as well.

Late, but if your still around Spellcrow and Maxmini have a set of books

Still around, don't worry; I'm at least idly watching wipg most of the day. I'm actually looking at Wargame Exclusive's book sets, even if they're *ridiculously* expensive in all their other things. Mostly because I could save shipping money on a stack of 64 Tau skulls and build a skull throne. I've bought from Maxmini and don't like their casting quality or the resin itself all that much, and I haven't really done anything with Spellcrow.

Did have a guy offer me that one in exchange for some of my own bits, and it's what I was leaning towards originally.

Anyone know of alternate models for a rhino? I can't afford 39$ a model for my chaos dudes.

I found these pictures of our patron saint's Skitarii kill team, anyone have a recipe for a similar dusky blue? I really like the scheme in general

Looks like Stegadon Scale Green. I used it on my Tau. It's a good color, goes on very even.

been a bit too busy to post lately with school, but heres some pictures of a balewind vortex i picked up over the weekend.
i used it in a game last night, but i forgot to cast first turn, and with sigmars random-turn order i got double-turned by some sigmar horsemen or something and lost my wizard before casting. next game, though

>no link to last thread
REEEEEEEEE

Thanks for keeping the image tho.

Dude, why didn't you just trace the letters with gold? Should be fairly easy.

So I want to paint up some Dusk Raiders, but I have no idea how to paint up the blue-ish grey of their armour, anyone got some suggestions of paints to use?

How long do you usually wait for each layer to dry when painting with Citadel paints?

Akshually, Red Tithe does indicate that the first ritual exile markings have to be earned, the Scouts that have their firsts are generally soon to be proper marines. So technically, you get your first blood way before your first exile marking.

Still, I feel pretty stupid.

Depends on how much you thinned them I'm afraid.
If it's still shint it's not dry, so wait a bit after it has stopped being reflective tone sure.

Thanks a lot fellas.

I did some simple blends on tzaangors manes and tencalcles before going to work. Quite happy with results.

you should be, they look great!

Working on these guys. Any suggestion on how to smooth out my GS work?

RIP

maybe carve a few lines into the stock to make it look more like wood with a grain

The wolf is cute.

Be gentle, it's my first time. Also I know the model itself is all fucked up, shoulder pad on the wrong side, mold lines etc. This was just a test using a friends left over model that he put together when he was a kid.

I think I used too much primer which lost me a lot of detail and I used a lot of layers fixing my mistakes which came out pretty thick but overall I'm not too displeased. The red looks much brighter in the photo, I'm actually pretty happy how that turned out considering it's the only thing I didn't copy from the How To Paint Tau pdf.

What should I work on improving first? Other than everything.

for a tabletop model, it looks fine. maybe work on a bit more colour variation, only two colours + black is a bit underwhelming. otherwise, great result for a first mini!

For your first time it's not bad at all.
Always be careful with the amount and distance you apply the primer, also try to do it in a normal environment, humidity, etc can fuck you over.
As always thin multiple layers are better than one thick layer. Washes/inks can help bring out detail by pooling in the recesses, just be sure keep washes in the recesses, don't want drying "stains" on flat surfaces.
Practice lad, paint up a few more 1 at a time and get used to painting, eventually go on to try highlighting to bring out some depth of the model.
You can always watch some of Duncan's videos to learn new techniques and how to paint x and y

Cheers for the help.

I didn't want to buy too many paints since I'm just starting out. What colours would you recommend adding?

There is wash on there, maybe I went a bit easy on it. And I did try my hand at highlighting but I made quite a mess so I pretty much went over it all with another layer, you can still see a bit on the helmet but the lighting in here isn't great because the sun fucked off.

For those wondering, Walmart does indeed carry this. On the automotive cleaners, for about $9.

HOLY FUCK BRO ITS TERRIBLE FUCKING KYS YOURSELF FAMALAM to be honest

Try making your highlights stand out a little more and thin those paints. It looks pretty good.

My first ever minis. Are they acceptable tabletop quality?

get some Leadbelcher or something, a nice metallic colour always looks good with infantry, takes away from the entirely-pastel-colours look and makes them look a bit more military. i think you can get 15 dollar sets of six basic paints for all the armies from games workshop, maybe look at those

They're ok for the most part, next time try to have minies of the same scale and don't gluing them together to form a weird zord

GW paint, and no.

Thanks for the feedback dudes.

I'll try highlighting again after I paint a few more, I can feel my hand getting steadier as I go, hopefully I wont make such a mess next time.

Might be a good idea, the rifle is really bare at the moment.

Any ideas on how to spruce up a normal Crisis Suit to look like a bigger Commander Iridium suit? Trying to take cues from both their respective models but coming up rather short. Don't know how to bulk up the chest.

How does /wip/ feel about reaper minis? thinking about using them for D&D since they're not too expensive.

Reaper has a huge catalog.
Some are a bit dated but for the most part they are pretty great.
Bones is something I'd only buy for Ogre sized or bigger miniatures though.

Welp, got all of it soaking. I'll see what happens on Sunday. Ten year old paint on some of em.

Pardon the orientation. Mobile is all I have currently.

My dad used them for years for DnD. He loved em.

Have you ever tried turning your phone sideways?

dark grey yellow looks noice.

Test.

Welp. I feel like a jackass now.

Painting skitarii but, fool that I am, I've got no brass, only gunmetal and bright gold. Can anybody suggest a simple mix/wash that can get me a reasonable dark yellow brass, or something like what tin bitz was?
Thanks

Try various shades of brown with gunmetal. Tin bitz is basically a metallic dark brown.