How does one teach normies to marathon games?

Okay, first things first. I am a diagnosed sperg and I have been having friends over weekly, so they seem to enjoy my company for some reason.

Anyway, normally I consider people coming over to be a more neutral feature than outright enjoyable, but we have been playing settlers of Catan and it's actually enjoyable to have people over.

But...

They only play one or two games each time. This last time, only one game: "They take so long" and "I'm tired". Then they want to hang and chill.

I don't get it. I got 4 hours of sleep last night and I still have more stamina than them, so I have trouble believing the "I'm tired" line.

Play Cards Against Humanity, it's hilarious!

Do they have jobs? Jobs devour your soul and make you incapable of having fun for long periods of times

Maybe... It's just that I enjoy SoC specifically. I am more wanting a solution as to how to condition them to do that.

These people just don't enjoy the game as much as you
Just enjoy it for what it is
And maybe try to find some people that enjoy the game more

One of them does. The other goes to school still.

How do I do that if I don't like new people (find it difficult to come up with things to say) and do not go outside for social events ever?

My daily schedule is:
>Wake up
>go to university
>get home
>do stuff
>sleep
>repeat

Fuck off frogposter.

Chillax, nignog. I only used the picture to express my annoyance.

Pleasen no frogposting on Veeky Forums. You can google "annoyance" next time.

Please keep the frogs in /pol/.

But I am asking for legitimate advice, no?

I enjoy having them over now, you do not understand how rare that is for me...I need to condition them into wanting to do it more. :)

Movienights would work too, but that's also usually 2 movies...3 at most...It's lame.

Fine, fine. I won't use the frog anymore. Okay. I don't really care...That is not the point.

Pepe is a Veeky Forums mascot kiddos.

I don't even understand why they had a hissy fit. Doesn't say anything in the rules about Pepe.

I will, oblige, however. I just want to come up with a solution for my predicament.

Catan is a rather solvable game and honestly pretty damned boring for most people. Playing more than two games a day of it makes it grating quick, since there's very little variation between games and little strategy involved. It's theme also can get stale quick.

Try Seven Wonders, it's more competitive, less dice driven, and offers more to do differently every match all while still being a fairly approachable game.

Have you tried the expansions? I hear one expands upon the cities and knights. Are they worth it?

Might have to see if I could like the other one, otherwise...They do not seem bored when playing, however, or at least they do not express boredom and I don't think they would want to come over if they did not enjoy it.

Also, I would say that while the strategy is simple, it seems to be good to follow the rules of probability etc. Mechanically simple, but I find it rewarding to figure things out mathematically.

Expansions bloat Catan just to make games take longer without adding anything really different happening.

I stress harder the fact that you want to play more than two fucking games of catan a week when the game doesn't change enough between sessions.

If you want people interested, play less solvable games, and ones with more strategy involved than "cuck the other guys"

They are probably just fed up with playing for the night. Which is understandable, because playing boardgames for several hours gets boring really fucking quickly, especially if you play several rounds of the same fucking game.

You seem mildly upset.

But I like cucking the other guys. :)

>I am a diagnosed sperg
your brain is wired up differently to others, "normies" are incapable of concentrating on a task for hours on end. half an hour, to an hour at best then they need a break.

Half-an-hour to an hour? How do they ever get any work done if that's the case? Also, plenty of people who don't have ASD spend hours in front of the computer playing video games, for example.

I understand not everyone can write up an essay 12-18 hours in a row or things like that, but couldn't they at least do like 6-8?

That is a huge investment of time, bro. I get that you're autistic, so I'm spelling it out for you:

THAT IS A HUGE INVESTMENT OF TIME

You are asking people to spend six hours of time with you (which they do), but are then complaining that they don't want to keep doing the same thing over and again. I get that your autism makes you want to continuously burn the time by playing Catan or watching films, but fuck - there are other things to do in life.

I do other things.

I am getting a masters degree at university. Cannot be bothered with a doctorate because I don't see the use with where I am heading in life.

You can't spend all your time working and I just don't like other people very much. Especially not if they just want to "hang and chill". Clubs are also very annoying, filled with loud, obnoxious and quite frankly stupid people who waste away their brain cells on alcohol.

Talking can be done over the internet, where it is much less awkward.

It might be because you're a sperg, but you sound like a dick. Be happy you have people who occasionally spend time doing what you like rather than bitching that they aren't as autistic as yourself.

Most people are self absorbed pseudo-intellectuals with an inferiority complex. Instead of focusing on how trite and disingenuous they are, acknowledge that they at least it could be worse. Drink some beers AND play catan, it's a good compromise that facilitates fun for normies, and autism for yourself.

No need to be offensive. I feel like I've been perfectly polite in my discussions here, aside from maybe using the pepe meme in the OP by mistake. I would retract it, but whatever.

I might be somewhat self-absorbed, but I doubt I am pseudo-intellectual, since I have both academic success and a high IQ (which, according to current research, despite its flaws, is a good indicator of success, income and health in life). Regardless, I don't see myself as being impaired by my condition in any major way.

I don't like beer. If I enjoyed alcohol, I might drink cider, but not beer.

If I do not enjoy something, I think they'd rather not have me there, as I might spoil their fun, since I tend to be vocal about not enjoying something, so I wouldn't say I am entirely inconsiderate either.

People seem really upset for some reason.

Whoops. You said most people, I misread it as intended towards me.

My apologies.

I dunno, you can always just kill yourself, fucking human trash ; )

And this is the issue. I didn't say you had those qualities, I said the most people have those qualities and you need to account for them. I was engaging in friendly banter, which often involves insults as a form of camaraderie. If you wish to participate in activities with normies, you need to acknowledge and study their quirks.

For example, I like cider as well, and in this scenario, "beers" is a catch all phrase that includes many beverages using contemporary vernacular. The reason you do this is not because YOU enjoy it, but because it'd a pleasant mutual experience for other people, unlike 8 hours of catan. To mitigate your wants and their wants you incorpate both; it's simple utilitarianism.

I am a productive member of society thus far. How are people who contribute as much or less than me more valuable just because I live a certain way?

Being a friend means that sometimes you do what your friends want to do, rather than what you want to do. Basic tenet of friendship. Even if you don't think you'll enjoy it, try to. Even if you don't enjoy it, make an effort to participate, or else you're better off leaving.

Refusing to hang out except for things you want to do is liable to weaken your friendship, and it's a lot easier to maintain relationships than forge new ones. Be glad your friends still like hanging out with you and chilling. They might be bored of Catan, so try other games.

Normal people like variety, austists and spergs like constancy. You'll have to compromise.

It's mostly because there's a direct correlation between how bad a board is and how many frogposters it has. Frogposting is essentially the banner of trolls, spammers, and shitposters, and frogposters tend to remake old troll threads and other beaten-to-death topics just to post more pictures of the cult they've decided to join.

Frogposting is the emblem of the worst of us.

People get burnt out on board games, user, particularly when they become routine. Try introducing new games, or perhaps talk to your friends and see if they have any ideas on what to do. All in all, try to be mindful of their fun as well as your own.

How can I accomplish the same effect without using alcohol? I don't really want to waste my potential on that.

I never call my friends, they always come here, it's been that way for years on end...I doubt our relationships are deteriorating due to my passivity.

Are there any similar-esque games you would recommend aside from 7 Wonders?

I've tried asking them. They tell me they enjoy it and then only play a couple of games anyway.

Of course there are other ways, alcohol is just the easiest. You don't even have to drink, just provide them with a couple and it'll be fine.

But that being said, you can feed them, or go out for food. You can also watch a movie in the background or let them pick the music. The general principle is to satisfy one of their likes, whether that's going for pizza or skydiving, based on their unique preference while also facilitating what you want to do.

Hmm... That sounds okay in theory, and I guess I could accommodate them better into my schedule.

Skydiving is a definite no-go, though, and I would like to spend as much time inside as possible. My eyes are sensitive to sunlight and I like to have all the blinders closed in my apartment as a result.

Anyway, if people have game suggestions, feel free to offer them.

Has anyone played Stone Age or Parthenon? Are they any good?

Actually thinking of getting that 7 wonders game, since it's on sale right now.

This thread is some of the funniest shit I've ever seen. OP is so autistic, self righteous, and inconsiderate of his friends (bordering on sociopathy) that I wouldn't have believed he was a real person if it wasn't Veeky Forums.

Float on you magnificent bastard. I'm glad you exist.

I'll take the compliment you finished with, but.I don't see myself as inconsiderate, because I actually stated I don't attend things if I think I will be a detriment to their enjoyment.

If they didn't like me in some way, they wouldn't come here on a weekly basis. I never initiate contact with them.

You don't see it because you have no sense of perspective, which is a typical autistic trait.

Buy some other fucking games. If you want to play games for more than two catan lengths, play games designed for it, or just have other small-length games.

Try Seven Wonders. Try Boss Monster. Try Epic Spell Wars. These are all far more approachable and interesting themes than primitive resource trading and playing snake with wooden blocks.

Just because you're autistic doesn't mean you have to be full-autism about everything you do.

>tfw you're hated even though Pepeism is an ideology of peace

Then explain in logical terms why I am inconsiderate and I will concede and maybe better myself, provided I can't poke holes in your argument, that is.

I already placed an order for 7 Wonders, so that is done. Epic spell wars sounds to cringy to even try, judging by the title of the game.

Something being primitive does not mean it isn't fun. I get to play the numbers and screw my friends over without hurting them, both of which are things I like.

Correlation != causation

...Damn it. I thought someone had answered with a good tip. :)

As another sperg, I gotta call bullshit, 'normies' can play games of Cards against Humanity for fucking ages. No breaks either.

>Clubs are also very annoying, filled with loud, obnoxious and quite frankly stupid people who waste away their brain cells on alcohol.
As opposed to severe sleep deprivation. Seriously nigger, 7 and a half hours of sleep at least.

From one sperg to another, it will make your life easier.

That you didn't even look up Epic Spell Wars is a shame. The name is meant to be cringy, the game is about mixing spells of different schools to throw at the other players, with a fun artstyle reminiscent of animated music videos.

> I get to play the numbers and screw my friends over without hurting them, both of which are things I like.
(You)

Severe sleep deprivation is only a problem if it becomes a regular thing. As of now, I only do it when I suffer from bouts of insomnia, have to do university work, or get a new game.

Also, shouldn't 6 hours be just fine?

Played GTAV over 48 hrs in a row when it first came out. :)

underrated post

Because Catan is not that engaging of a game, OP. It just isn't. It's kinda boring. I'm amazed that you even get people to play Catan multiple times a week, let alone a day.

If it pushes your autism button and makes you feel good that's great for you. But your friends are getting nowhere near the same level of enjoyment out of it.

They might enjoy the novelty of a game now and then but there isn't a ton of content to Catan to be engaging for more than an hour or two. Hell, they might not enjoy it at all and they're just humoring you because they know YOU enjoy it a lot.

Go get other board games. Something more complex and engaging if you want to play for hours at a time.

Since there doesn't seem to be any new advice coming as of late, I think I'll go sleep now. Might check back if the thread is still here when I wake up.

I already ordered 7 Wonders, as per a recommendation here, and may order Stone Age to see if I like it.

Couldn't sleep. Will try again later.