In my setting PCs absorb the energy of those they defeat in combat, in the form of a "soul"...

In my setting PCs absorb the energy of those they defeat in combat, in the form of a "soul", which is not their consciousness [that reincarnates]. Rather the Soul is just a collection of skills, magical energy, and raw power harnessed by the PCs and many other beings.

What do I call these people? Soul Hunters? Soul Masters? I need name ideas!

Pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

landofmarbles.com/marbles-play.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

edgelords?

>not consciousness, just magical energy
>absorbing magical energy is somehow edgy

absorbing souls is edgy

I'd give it a better name than soul, because anything with soul will just sound kinda dorky.
Also is this power kept, or is it a limited resource? Like you can only use a pickpockets skills a few times before the soul runs dry? That will effect the name choice a bit I feel

I've got questions

1. What sort of culture do these soul consumers come from?
2. Does defeat mean killing the opponent or just besting them give me their power?
3. What is stopping somebody from consuming the reincarnating soul along with the accrued power?

Change souls to devotion, and have the players be pilgrims.

So basically succubi?

>In my setting PCs absorb the energy of those they defeat in combat, in the form of a "soul"
>What do I call these people?
Historically I think the proper term is "ex-wife"

Kek'd heartily.
Its permanent but you can only have so many equipped at once. They function as magic items.
1. Hard to explain, European Fantasy meets Buddhist Narnia is the best way I can sum it up.

2. Killing them.

3. Its basically a two-part soul system. The consciousness, or Spirit, leaves the body and cannot be accessed usually, and the body itself yields the Soul, or magical energy, in the form of an enchanted marble.

MegaMen? Blue Mages?
More seriously, maybe Siphons?

Unkindled.

Devourers
Collectors
Loci

Elaborate on this own.

>form of an enchanted marble.
You could try lifting terms from actual marble games.

landofmarbles.com/marbles-play.html

cliche, but it could work.

Dark Souls mate.

If you are open to book suggestion then Eastern Definitions by Edward Rice would help you fill out Buddhist side of your setting.

damn I miss the pixel animations of fire emblem

>in the form of an enchanted marble
Path of Exile, the TTRPG?

We all do user. We all do.

Darksigned

FFTA2 Morphers

Soul Drivers

Bravely Default Asterisk Holders

Memoriam

Shaman

Vessels

Digimon Tamers

Man the sword master crit was some of the best animation in that game. The hero crit was also pretty solid. especially when compared to the warrior crit, or some of the base class crits.

Came here to say this. Alternatively: Ashen One or Chosen Undead.

What you described is essentially one of the key premises of the Dark Souls series of videogames, except that souls are also used as currency. Unkindled is what the player in the latest game is called.

>almost any caster crits
>unique weapon crits
>crits that spin
>WARRIOR CRITS
>gonzales no like math
Goddamn I want a FE d20 or whatever game but I know it'll most likely be crap.

'Vessel' seems super edgy, but is the best thing I've seen in this thread thus far.

>In my campaign Souls are sometimes used as currency.

I'm not sure if I should be glad or mad that I accidentally ripped this game off.

The chosen undead, because this is kinda just EXACTLY what dark souls did.

Vampires? Monsters? Gladiators? What do these people DO? There are a lot of factors here, but most of them point to a negative connotation. Historically, humans don't have high opinions of those who glory in single combat. We venerate them in history, but at the time they are mostly spurned as murderers rather than heroes. Even gladiators were considered lower than slaves, and just being seen around them lowered your status no matter who you were.

>You accidentally came up with the same concept as one of the most critically acclaimed game series of all time.

I wouldn't be upset about it.

Bump

Foci.

Conduit is less edgy, but also a bit further from the intended meaning.

Phonetically, 'Foe-Kai.'

As in focus.

As in they are the focus point of all these different skills, magical abilities ect that they have absorbed.

I like a few of these suggestions. I actually thought of "Vessels" earlier today, but wasn't too sure of it.

What about "Powers", just to throw out my own suggestion?

Chosen Undead, or unkindled

Sounds like something from a campy and or edgy take on Superheroes.

Immortals, for there can only be one!

I'd drop the "soul" in general. It does sound edgy. It may be technically more correct than in most popular fiction depending on the cosmology you base it on - in many people differentiate between spirit and soul, with former being what makes a person - them and the latter being experiences, knowledge and so on of a person spirit incarnated as for duration of that particular lifetime. Still, using "soul" is kinda cliche by now.

Go for the very act of what they do. They fight over and for those souls against others? Find some term based on that. the Contenders, the Adversaries etc

The act of absorbing soul itself also may be highlighted without one having to go for specifics, with them being just the Gatherers, the Collectors.

You may also want to substitute "soul" for something else just when it comes to titles. The thing may be soul, but people who gather it are refered to as Essence Hounds since they, you know hunt it like hunting hounds or something.

"Hunters" and "Masters" is again, cliche and pretentious as fuck when used as anything but the direct result of one's occupation (with the occupation defined traditionally - master being a high rank of some particular trade, hunter being a guy who hunts stuff, be it criminals or wildlife).

How about einherjar? The base meaning is "single warrior", so you may even want a word that means the opposite: "someone who is never alone"

>Einherjar

I think we might have a winner.

the word edgy has lost its meaning with you. Seems to be anything you don't like.

Edgy is rape and senseless gore, bayoneting kids, genocide etc.
Absorbing energy is pretty tame, as is the word "Vessel"

Dark souls?

Just don't try to pronounce it where anyone can hear you, please.

Ayn-Hair-Eee-Are

Least thats how Valkerie Profile pronounced it.

Highlanders.

screwing around with old norse, I came up with Einmargr, which is alone-many

That's what I was thinking as well reading the OP. Seconding this!

Soul Reapers.
Wait no that would be stupid

>By killing other characters, PCs increase their own skill/magic energy/raw power

>What do I call these people?

You call them The Main Characters, because what you've described is an in-universe explanation of Experience Points.

This.

Essence and echo comes to mind. I like the concept too, equipable abilities are fun.

I'd call it something besides a Soul, Essence is a better name, or maybe use the terminology that Egyptian mythology had for the parts of the soul that stay in the body after death

somebody's been playing castlevania recently, i see

dark souls just used them as currency/experience

Ine Her Jarrrr

Essence Eaters