RPG's are awful

All of them. Ask 1/2 of Veeky Forums. Half hate (x), the other half hates (y), 2/3's hate (z), etc etc.....

However, we've all had those great games on TT, that still makes us smile. Let's hear about THOSE stories.

I hate all RPG systems. I once wrote a list for my previous group detailing why every system is trash, and so we must satisfy ourselves with using the slightly less trashy ones.

So, real talk for a moment, maybe even meta-commentary. Why is it that people such as feel the need to come into a thread and immediately attempt to ruin it? OP wanted us to discuss good stories, times we had great games that reminded us why we still enjoy this hobby, and this user decided the best thing he could add was an anecdote about why this is bad and everything is terrible forever.

What is it that makes people behave like this? I honestly don't understand the impulse. It's larger than this one example, you can see it everywhere online, but this is as good a place as any to ask the question.

Does any kind user have an inkling as to why this phenomenon takes place?

Mostly laziness, honestly. I've had many good stories in many different (terrible) systems. It doesn't change my opinion that all systems have flaws, though, and typing out a great story from one of those campaigns would have taken quite a long time.

>Here are some starting comments about anger and hatred, now give me stories about good times that'll make me smile.
>No I'm not going to provide one.

>Does any kind user have an inkling as to why this phenomenon takes place?
In addition to what that guy said. see above.

That said, since he did post what he posted:
>I hate all RPG systems. I once wrote a list for my previous group detailing why every system is trash
>It doesn't change my opinion that all systems have flaws,
Flaws =/= trash
When you stop viewing every flawed thing as being worthless and miserable like a cynical ass, you might find your world a brighter place.
Good luck with that.

So I'll tell about our latest adventures....Not sure if people will love it or hate it.

>Usual 3 players roll up their guys. They normally all play the same class.
>As in 3 wiz's, or 3 fighters, etc.
>This time, they argued. We ended up with 1 fighter, 1 wizard, and one rogue.
>overall, well balanced for our games.
>They said they wanted to be "Legit good guys" this time. Something with legal status, like a guard, or a nobles bodyguard, etc.
> (Yes, I always make the players come up with WHY they are all together, this keeps things simple)
>So I stole an idea from an old Veeky Forums thread about a nightshift at a con store........
>I made them guards at one of the kings far off guard posts, watching over a small village and lake area.
>Their job, is to handle any issues that arise, in this area that is over all, pretty peaceful and calm
>They have a few rules for the tower. 1) it must always have at least 1 person there 2) the kings banner must always be visible 3) they must uphold the law to the best of their ability 4) other than that, they're pretty much on their own
>There are 3 other 'staff' members at the tower, 1 cook, 1 maintance guy, and 1 0lv npc warrior type

They loved the concept, and we began the first game.

More?

Fuck it, you're getting more anyway.

>So the first session, an npc villager comes to them to complain that a dirty rotten dickass thief has stolen his cow.
>The pc's gear up and are ready to rape some bandit/kobold/orc ass.
>The cow was quickly found being led back to the farmer, by a neighbor who found it wandering his pasture.
>The pc's return to the tower, and mill about..and thought no more about the escaped cow
>The next day, they slaughter a small pack of goblins that wandered too close to the lake and gained a few coins.
>They of course wanted to go 'get supplies', from the nearby village and meet and greet people
>The villagers were delighted to have a group of watchmen nearby and were very polite and respectful
>The one cleric/healer/priest/hedge alchemist comes up and tells them that he's missing a small box of healing potions
>The pc's rush to investigate, bringing the full knowledge of years of gaming in d&d to bear on this epic crime
>Soon, the box of potions is discovered down at the small dock where the old cleric likes to fish of a morning...however he doesn't recall leaving it there
>they're rewarded for their heroic actions, with a few potions of healing.
>They get back to the tower, and the cook tells them he's missing a side of pork
>The investigation begins anew! The pc's scour the area and find the 0lv warrior carrying the pork back to the cook, claims he found it near his bunk
>up till now, these were all just unrelated incidents that I tossed out there with nothing more in mind than stalling till i came up with something
>the pc's decide that all these incidents were related somehow and soon became paranoid
>They spent almost 45 minutes of checks and plotting to determine what type of evil archdemon could be behind these thefts

More?

Tough shit, I'm continuing anyway.

>The players paranoid thoughts made me think....what if there IS some 'needful things' plot going on, where the bad whatever is trying to stir up hate and anger?
>So I tossed a few more 'minor' incidents out there and let them figure them out
>Then they fought a small group of bandits that had robbed some minor estate a few days travel away
>They were pretty banged up, so they gathered up the stolen property and head back to home base (the tower), to heal up and rest up.
>Lv2 now. The pc's are a bit more seasoned, and starting to get a 'feel' for the people and the area
>They work on some minor defenses for the tower, including bringing some big logs up for the maint. guy to use, and adding a smokehouse near the tower.
>They notice the nearby farmers daughter is having a fling with the lv0 npc warrior, (who tried to steal the pork to give to the girls family as a token of good will, but got caught and had to lie)
>things seem pretty normal.........
>They investigate the sighting of a drow in a cave near the lake, only to discover it wasn't anything
>They break up a fight related to binge drinking old men
>They solve the case of the missing 100' rope (That was found on the opposite shore of the lake where the owner had left it)
>They fought a couple wolves that had killed a sheep
>They helped a guy salvage his small boat (Which was very entertaining with lots of skill checks, but no combat)
>They had a surprise inspection from a superior officer who came to check on them
>They helped get a child out of a cave, and killed a couple big spiders and a kobold or ten
>LV 3
>New skill points and spells
>Players are STILL concerned that some epic evil is lurking just around the corner, that is trying to cause chaos by stealing items
>I make several dice rolls and grin, act like i'm really thinking and then grin again
>Players tense up
>A small group of orc (4), is sighted on the far side of the lake, and they rush to kill them

Cont'ing on..

>a search of the orc reveals one has a nonmagical necklace with a strange symbol on it
>It was simply some orc demon or something, with no importance to anything, worth a couple gold
>The players show it around, ask questions, and use all their skills to figure out how this necklace relates to the epic evil falling upon this peaceful village
>More defenses are added to the tower, rocks are hauled up in case they're needed to be dropped on attackers
>a heavier door is added to stop attackers from gaining access to the tower.
>The door itself had to be made, and took a lot of time/effort. They had to chop a couple huge trees, and wagon it back, lots of checks and lots of thinking.
>I found out that the players didn't need combat, as long as they got to roll dice and use skills. An intel check or knowledge check, or a dex check to avoid a falling tree was just as much fun for them.
>The pc's run a group of adventurers out of town who were a little too edgy and looking for work/trouble/fun
>The pc's catch a group of horses in the wild, and get them to the village to be broke and trained
>The pc's get the most epic/lucky rolls of 20's as they slaughter an ogre
>They hire some villagers to add another room to the tower
>The cleric tells them he's had more stuff stolen, some of it is found, some isn't. All COULD be explained by the age/forgetfullness of the cleric, but the PC"s still think it's an evil plot of some kind
>They get into a battle of jokes and storytelling with a wandering dwarven bard who shows up, and gain a magical mug of always full beer out of the encounter
>They pass another inspection, and help the tax collector in his duties
>They advise their superior that something evil is afoot here, and that they're on top of it

More?

>I decide the players need more proof of this epic evil lurking just out of sight
> a nice old lady has had some rings stolen from her
>Non magical, not really valuable even, but the pc's attack the case like an FBI profiling team
>(A squirrel had actually carried off the rings from her open window ledge and a few more checks would have found it's nearby nest)
>The pc's decide that a gang of ruthless thieves had moved into the area, and they set out on patrol to find the group of thieves
>On patrol they encounter a traveling group of orc, and a pretty tough battle ensues, the players were thankful for those healing potions
>They gather up the loot from the orc battle, and limp back to base
>they heal up a few days and do some fishing and some light drinking
>they bond more with the townspeople who were worried about their wounds
>This pattern carries on for 6 more levels.........
the pc's were having fun, and honestly, so was I.

Nothing epic, nothing drastic, nothing outrageous, nothing extreme. Just the mundane life of a frontier guardsman serving the crown.

the village grows a bit as well protected villages tend to do.

You wanted stores that make you smile? This is one of my favorites. A desolate setting, and weird things happening. And 3 paranoid PC's that made the world a better place.

I like games. That's why I'm here.

It was a nice story.

It does make me want an ending.
If not the "mysterious evil" revealing itself, then just the players reactions when they learned it never was there in the first place.

>Flaws =/= trash
What did he mean by that?

That just because something, in this case a system, has flaws, it does not make it trash.

The other user had said "every system is trash" and then interchangeably said their opinion was "that all systems have flaws".
As anything that isn't 100% perfect has flaws, it is likely that their intended meaning was that it was these flaws in all systems are what make every system trash.

If everything flawed was trash, then the world would be nearly entirely trash with only rare, occasional glimpses of perfection.

>AD&D2e
>Party learns of a Vampire manipulating a small town
>Sets up an ambush
>Monk finds a hiding place
>Wizard finishes the party's commissioned silver dagger (all he could afford)
>Wizard, in a harebrained scheme, proposes he stay alone to tempt the creature
>It works
>Pops Web, rest of the party spews from inn innards like a clown car and goes to town on the thing
>Vampire is way too strong, can easily kill anyone with but a slap of the wrist
>Lucky the Wizard prepared nothing but Web
>Three times in a row
>Vampire eats shit, finally breaks free and kills the Monk
>The Monk carrying our six-pack of Alchemist's Fire
>Cleric gets an idea
>Yadda yadda yadda shit's on fire, yo
>Vampire regenerates, but discretion is the better part of valour
>Turns into a bat and flies away
>Wizard out of spells
>Monk dead
>Cleric had no ranged weapon
>The Vampire is escaping and none of us can do anything about it
>Wizard hurriedly gives the silver dagger to the Barbarian
>He's the only one capable of throwing it far enough (18STR)
>Goes for broke
You can probably see where this is going
>Vampire eats shit for the last time
>Bat form tumbles, falls into chimney of the local forge
>Party bumrushes the cremating corpse and finishes it off
>Twice (it's the only way to be sure)

Probably the only time the dice ever did anything to make us pop off. Well worth it, this time.

We never did get that dagger back.

My old GM was like this. He would hate and rag on every system that wasn't Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, or Strike!...funny thing is that he'd only played RPGs for three years, so I doubt he had actually played as many of the systems as he claimed were trash.

The important part about my hate is that I spread it evenly. Pathfinder and Savage Worlds get their fair share, too. I haven't looked into Strike yet, though. Guess I'll go look it up to find some new hate fuel. Or maybe it'll be the flawless holy grail of systems? We'll see.

If you really hate every RPG system, why not pick a hobby that isn't centered around them? Although, reading your replies, especially
>new hate fuel
>flawless holy grail
>only two options
I don't think you'll find any hobby you enjoy.

>then the world would be nearly entirely trash with only rare, occasional glimpses of perfection.
>implying it isn't
Sturgeon's law was an understatement.

Good for you for trying to be reasonable! Sadly, all it got was a bait post, but this user appreciates your effort. Stay thoughtful and informed, user.

Thanks.

I'm sorta torn between tossing some dark ancient evil into the mix, or just letting them live the life of an average frontier guard.

No system is perfect. Half the fun is finding problems and fixing them yourselves,if they aren't overbearing.