/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Bayan Blyat edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=Po7_4dqSA7E
slitherine.com/news/2211/Happy.Easter.Sale!.30.Discount.on.everything!
theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=25455
theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=23832
hwgprojects.imgur.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braunstein_(wargame)
chirinesworkbench.blogspot.co.nz/2014/07/essay-on-braunstein-part-first-for-july.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

14th of April in Military History

1945 - American planes bombed Tokyo and damaged the Imperial Palace
1945 - Arnhem/Zwolle freed from nazis
1945 - U.S. 7th Army and allies forces captured Nuremberg and Stuttgart in Germany
1945 - U.S. forces conquered Motobu peninsula on Okinawa
1945 - U.S. Marines attack Yae Take on Okinawa
1940 - Allied troops land in Norway
1915 - Dutch merchant Navy ship Katwijk sunk by Germany torpedo
1862 - Battle of Ft. Pillow Tennessee
1861 - Formal Union surrender of Ft. Sumter
1861 - Robert E Lee resigns from Union army
1809 - Napoleon defeated Austria in the Battle of Abensberg, Bavaria
1792 - France declares war on Austria, starting French Revolutionary Wars
1574 - Battle of Mookerhei-D'Avila beats Louis of Nassau
1544 - Battle at Carignano: French troops under Earl d'Enghien beat Swiss
1471 - Battle of Barnet-King Edward IV vs Earl of Warwick

I'm afraid I'm not the normal OP and am pretty busy today, but here's a video on ground scales vs miniature scales, in line with a few comments from last thread.

youtube.com/watch?v=Po7_4dqSA7E

Even at 1/300 - 6mm, using 100% accurate ground scales in tabletop games is ludicrous.

I would definitely play a 3mm skirmish game on a 10'x6' table. 8'x6' might be easier logistically, though, and easier still if you took a chunk out of one side so you had a sort of U-shape = 8'x4' with two 2'x2' bits, maybe representing a water feature or something?

But I would definitely play a skirmish or small-unit game in 3mm on that. Probably want some sort of exploration theme going on, and you'd definitely want a referee running the show. Maybe Stalker. Nothing too urban, but you could have a few BUAs. Do it with tall hills and run a weekend-long game.

Hell, Braunstein it.

I would play the shit out of a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. tabletop run by a referee on a massive table using 3mm minis.

Running into /awg/ territory, but even a modern non-sci fi exploration of the Chernobyl zone during some Ukranian civil war crisis would be decent.

Thinking about it, that really would work best Braunstein-style, with little factions and shit wandering around. And 3mm Skadovsk. 3mm helicopters dropping a military raid in, duty & freedom...

Wouldn't have to be SF really, anything with lots of small factions squabbling over a large area would be excellent. Wouldn't really even have to be skirmish as long as you've got enough different sides involved with enough differences in kit that they have to work together to do stuff.

>I'm afraid I'm not the normal OP and am pretty busy today
Normal OP here, very grateful someone jumped in and made an effort. I was enjoying a rare day off and just got home now, didn't expect the thread to finish so quickly

As it happens I'm a huge fan of 28mm "Grand Manner" style wargaming; I totally respect and understand the differing arguments, but for me it's all about the spectacle.

Looks great. But most 28mm games I see have units that are just 12 guys taking a flag for a walk.

It's that or no room to maneuver whatsoever.

Sometimes that can look good! But a lot of people deliberately leave out the flags on units that small.

I've been moving towards a 120mm by 60mm basing standard, where a unit is however many dudes fit on the base, usually in two ranks. It's working pretty well. Formation changing is more important once you get to more modern periods, but it's less of a big deal than rules writers would have you believe in older periods, and especially if you're having a unit represent few thousand soldiers. Then there are periods like Nappies and Colonials, where the toy soldier effect is so strong that for a lot of people a handful of figures looks Right.

holy hell...Slitherine is actually have a 30% off everything sale!

slitherine.com/news/2211/Happy.Easter.Sale!.30.Discount.on.everything!

Tigers on the Hunt for £30? Y/N?

Ofc it's when I'm moving so I have no spare cash

I was really confused for a few minutes.
Turns out they sell video games.

Thanks for saving me the click.

Yeah getting pretty /awg/ but that would be awesome. A single 3mm man on a base large enough to pick up would be kinda silly looking though.

A cehvachuree style warband game where you track what happens to your dudes but with mercs in 60s/70s africa would be fun too

I'm pretty sure it'd work better in 6mm, there's a bunch of good and cool 6mm post-apoc stuff out there.

And you'd want a base with 1-2 stalkers, 2-5 more organised types on it - bandits and soldiers wouldn't be running around alone.

I've played some pretty fun big-table medieval skirmishes with roaming groups of trouble-makers. You know, couple of little village outposts, a tax collector and guards, bandits, each village's people.

Is there anywhere online to get GHQ models at a discount?

Hello hwg, working on a 500-1000pt Bolt Action army

Got my Rubicon 1/56 M8 Scott HMC in the mail yesterday, compared to my Tamiya tanks, this was a breeze. Maybe 2 hours of build time at a slow pace was amazing. It took me two days to build my Tamiya 1/48 stug iii. The trade between detail and time seemed worth it to me.

Also, 1/56 is great for Perry models, but 1/48 seems better suited for warlord models and surprisingly death korps of krieg models lol.

Some more pics. I think i'll be converting to 1/56 since all my models will be perry. Including French Foreign Legion (hence the HMC)

VERY low-effort OP

doesn't even have the couple paragraphs explaining the historical moments in the pictures

>1/48 seems better suited for warlord models and surprisingly death korps of krieg models lol.

Well 1/48 is pretty huge, Warlord Plastic M4 and Tamiya 1:48 M4 related.

why dont you type something up then

More like 1:56 is too small for heroic scale WW2.

So I have a 50pts Team Yankee Soviet army in 6mm. 5 T-72s, 8 BMP-2s with infantry, and so on, and so forth.

Question is, is there some game I could play by splitting this force in two? For example, would FoW basing work with Force on Force?

Yep. I also like the idea of saving time with faster builds.

Check out this fag

Absolutely. One base=one fireteam works fine, you just need to keep track of casualties/dependents.

On a related note: did we get something wrong with PoWs and heavy wounds? A fireteam of 4 ended up with 7 PoWs and 4 heavily wounded guys in "Few blocks of hell" from the main rulebook.

I don't remember the rules well, but it does seem strange.

P is for pikes.

I want to make a Macedonian army. What scale should it be?

6mm

54mm with knitting needles as pikes.

6mm with incredibly sharp pins as pikes.

Suffer for your art.

6mm, 10mm or 15mm I'd say. I'd lean towards 10mm or 15mm if you can rope in opposition to buy an army too, otherwise 6mm.

Painting miniatures with one's own blood would be pretty hardcore I suppose

This is a fascinating idea. The table would need to be pretty dense terrain-wise, but you'd get a huge sense of remoteness from the amount of space available for maneuvering.

In my experience you mostly get used to them after having them for a while, and only jab yourself a few times a game. It's your opponents and random passers-by who really bleed, and not just the ones who insist on picking your models up - the points just seem to attract flesh.

At that scale, I would want the game to be less about individual men shooting at each other, and more about managing resources like food and ammunition. Potentially also the environment and NPC factions as well.

Additionally, communication between individual figures might become an issue.

Thinking about it some more, that would really be a job for books, boxes & blankets. With a few layers you can get something that won't shift, 6mm minis are a lot more resistant to toppling than 28mm, and you could have nice rolling landscapes and roads, tracks and so on going up and down.

For woods, I'd be tempted to use a green/brown painted bit of cloth and put green foliage on it - make up enough small sections (painted cotton balls? no, I've seen the thing I mean, I just can't remember how it was done) and remove one or two at a time to let you place minis in there.

I am really tempted to do a medieval version of this now. Hell, dark ages, but medieval (or later) might get you more colourful flags, and every shitty little band needs a flag.

Now that reminds me - Prehistoric Settlement.

theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=25455 - there were three previous threads with reviews and commentary that are linked at the bottom. Neat little game, and I know people who have 6mm Tusk setups...

>the ones who insist on picking your models up
i really really dislike these people, pls ask first

theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=23832 is the first part and a basic overview. It's clearly not *historical*, even the name tells you that, but it's historicish. IIRC the mechanics would be adaptable to other periods with some refluffing and time-scale handwaving - a mate tried to make an SF (spaceships) version.

I wrote Chevauchee, and the idea of a "true-scale" skirmish game focused around resource management and communication sounds pretty neat.

I do wonder if it could get a little boring since the focus would largely be on trying to find the enemy rather than fighting, given the table size etc.

Something like that scale of ambling about to me screams grid based map for roaming, switching to a battle map for for fightan rather than giganto board at all times.

If I had enough interested players, Chevauchee's fief campaign would work pretty well using a hex map for reference.

I'd probably write up some more actions for building outposts and stuff.

Lads, Warhammer The Great War was missing the '18 British Expeditionary Force's page, so I took a photo of it as my book finally arrived. If folder user is around, please add it to the WW1 folder if you can.

You'd definitely want multiple objectives to be going on with, and reasons to come in to conflict with either the opponent or minor NPC forces.

As for trying to find the enemy, you could have limited units out until you've made confirmed contact with a big enough enemy force to justify getting the garrison out of bed. Even nastier - require scouts to report back. If they don't, the first thing you officially know is that the tax collector's overdue, and that's not worth a full-scale mobilisation.

Something really wrong. I don't understand what really happened.

One of my fireteams caused mayhem, captured a few guys, went down, enemy fireteam captured them, then another fireteam of mine mowed them down and captured them.

Just a reminder that the Community project ends this coming Sunday (16th). Post your obsolete units!

Also be thinking about ideas for next month.

Reposting my submission, becaues I won't have time to do so Sunday.

I know somebody had an Imgur where they were reposting all of the submissions, can whoever that was please post a link? It'd be nice to actually have it in the OP next time around.

>ideas for next month
What've the last few projects been? I remember the fictional works, and food/drink themes.

Maybe something that's been in your stash for at least 3-4 years? Or something you'd really like to paint but didn't fit into any of your current projects? Possibly with a paragraph of text as a backstory for it, as to show why did you choose that.

We've done so far: objective pieces, command units, civilians/non-combatants, scout/recon, food, fiction, obsolete. If I missed any, I apologize.

hwgprojects.imgur.com/

may not be complete I've been busy and also lazy recently.

What is Braunstein?

So, question: How would I go about building a Bolt Action army, based on a "what if" scenario of Operation: Valkyrie being a success? How would it differ from a regular german army?

Yes, I did just get finished with watching the movie.

I really like those boats user

The takeaway here is that we shouldn't do modern wargaming in general, or any sort of wargaming scale where the range of weapons when used in the same scale as the figures is larger than the common table size.

Meh, at this point the scaling debate has gotten far too 'no true scotsman' for me.

I'mma just play the games I like and to hell with the minutiae.

Braunstein was a proto-RPG invented to fill in between wargames

It's just a dude baiting.

I would definitely be interested in seeing this.

I've been thinking of doing some late medieval stuff, I asked before about Burgundy and their opposition options... but anyway I could do with some other perspectives on this:

I'm torn on going with 6mm or 10mm. 10mm is a bit more expensive to do the same amount of units but has fewer figures on the board. And I think there's just more decent options for late-medieval figures, rather than the choice being stuck between Baccus's very wars of the roses oriented line and Irregular's small range, there's Pendraken with a decent variety and Magister Millitum's range which whilst more expensive again, brings extra options for expansion.

But the units will look smaller and the whole thing will be more expensive over-all.

Worth it?

I would suck 2 dicks to play on that board

>any sort of wargaming scale where the range of weapons when used in the same scale as the figures is larger than the common table size.
So nothing beyond renaissance period? By the time of the napoleon a 12 pdr cannon had a range of at least 1000m, which at 3mm scale is long enough to reach from one side of a 6' X 4' table. I'm no expert on Renaissance period cannons, but could well be one with a 1000m range.

Beside the point that using the same ground scale as your miniature scale is silly, modern is easily do-able with systems like Harpoon that don't use miniatures. Eliminate the miniature scale and you eliminate the accompanying autism of the scale stickler minority.

I'm a complete noob at hail Caesar but want to make a custom astec army. Any tips?

It's too bad that you are some creepy user who would write that on a mongolese hamster racing message board. That doesn't seem like a difficult board to make.

space is my main issue as well as having enough materials to make it

what is a joke?

insulation foamboard, sand, paint, and flock don't cost much, user.
I am sorry that you are congenitally without a sense of humor, user.

The issue is space, Im fine with my 3x3 stuff with mats for now but I huge fully fledged board is my dream for one day.

>Beside the point that using the same ground scale as your miniature scale is silly
uh, hwat?

On the scale vs range thing I really like Five Men at Kursk for this. It has effective ranges for the heat of battle, where youd be able to reasonably hit a moving target while being shot at, but can fire at anything at any range with reduced effectiveness. As such long range shots (shots beyond your range) can only ever pin or scare the guys theyre shooting at and only machine guns and snipers can react at long range

exactly the same

Usually games sacrifice 1:1 ground to figure ratio in order to have something playable on a regular sized table.
1:1 mini to ground scale could work if you play very small skirmish games, or only play in 3mm or 6mm scale, and use the right sizes footprints for your units. Supposedly in 3mm scale a Napoleonic battalion of 700 men in three ranks would have a 8 - 10" frontage. (real life would be a 365 foot frontage)
6mm: 14" frontage
10mm: 24" frontage
15mm: 36" frontage
20mm: 44" frontage
28mm: 72" frontage

The frontage for a WW2 platoon at 28mm scale would be 10 ft. (~200m in real life)
A WW2 squad of 10 men would be 23" wide at this scale. (~4m between men on the attack)

Unless of course I've bungled my numbers...

I am interested just how many games use the same ground scale as miniature scale. They're bound to exist - has anyone played one? do they work?
Five men in Kursk listed above suggests 15mm scale, and lists effective rifle range as 16". Taking an average irl effective rifle range of 100m - it looks like a 1:2 miniature scale to ground scale set up. Unless they only give a rifle a 50m effective range?

I'll see if I can get something written up today.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braunstein_(wargame)

People still do 'em, mostly fantasy but some other scenarios. It's basically a multiplayer game with a bunch of players with varying goals, a referee or two, and a big table. The goals should support a fair amount of negotiation and trade.

chirinesworkbench.blogspot.co.nz/2014/07/essay-on-braunstein-part-first-for-july.html

Chirine's an old-school tekumel grog who still does them, albeit in a fantasy/sf setting, and has posted a lot of useful and interesting stuff on how you might run your own.

Pirates are a particularly common theme for them IIRC - pirates, the navy, native islanders, lost VIPs.

>mongolese hamster racing message board
kek
Interesting...

Thanks

No news for "Over the Top" ?

Not yet, but it'll come eventually.

How should i set up the table for bolt action to make sure it isn't one sided?

Use that third dimension user.
In all seriousness, I don't know what BA's terrain laying rules are, but I'd saturate the table with terrain Infinity style and just try to make the cover spread about evenly.

This picture is better every time I see it. Tears coming from his nose. Amazing.

For a table I dunno, base it of an air recce photo with added ''clump'' terrain? The more terrain in skirmish games the better I guess?

what scales are these respectively?

You should try making some 2x2 tiles.

Set up table with mix of terrain types. Other player gets to pick a side, you take opposite

So this is the sort of campaign map you might be looking at if you play the Fief campaign with map support.

What's that from again? Fief campaign is Chev, right?

Yup, I'm in the process of writing a multiplayer map-based variant for Chev.

What's different about the yellow hills in the northeast?

It's a ridge-line, adds a movement penalty for traversing them.

Maybe this will help.

Thanks

I think:
6mm
15mm
20-28mm

The only one I am certain on is the 6mm. that 15mm could easily just be good 10mm.

Forged In Battle 15mm Macedonian pikemen are really good. Gotta add your own pikes, but that is quite easy to do.

Make it look like an actual street of an actual city, or a field with tractors, cows and big titted German Mädchen. Y'know, make it realistic.