How well would these guys fare in 40k?

If given Auir plus the golden armada from a fortified position? And uncucked by LotV? (Meaning that some Big Bad can't just jack into the Khala without pissing them all off)

Tau equivalents maybe. I can't recall what percentage of the Galaxy they controlled, but assuming it was relatively small then they would be massively outnumbered by the Imperium and the Imperium arguably has better tech or at least comparable tech to the Terrans.

Given how their psychic powers work, wouldn't Khorne be 100% okay with even their high templar?

It's loosely like the Orks psychic powers from what I remember. But even a protoss cut off from the Khala can still use regular psychic powers.. maybe their nerve cords just serve as their communication array instead of what they use to channel powers?

They're more like a reverse Tau. Their empire used to be much larger before fracturing several times.

Not to mention how much they crave a worthy battle. I could see Khorne getting behind them easy.

The cords let them telepathically communicate with each other. Without them they need to talk like everyone else.

Come to think of it, he'd dislike the dark templar for their use of the void since it is their version of the warp, though they don't use it like how 40k psykers do.

They don't have mouths, but I believe you're right. Instead of psychic communication over long distances, they have to single each other out and send telepathic bursts. Hmm.

Well, the most basic of units would have void shields and are between the size of a space marine and custodes, so that in itself is pretty brutal. They would probably be like reverse Tau, BS2, WS4, S4 T4 with maybe 4+ or 5+ armor (since they are half naked half the time, but the void shield makes up for that) and many units being fearless. It would be a pretty awesome army to play, I think.

Given how they can talk to terrans over computer screens, they can probably instinctively vibrate the air in a way that makes audible speech.

Either that or their tech can capture and play it back. And convert it to formats the other races can pick up.

>MFW they actually have mouths
>They just aren't on their faces.

I don't think they have any orifices larger than pores besides their eye holes.

Considering they're psychic and feed by some form of photosynthesis, I'm not sure why they'd need mouths.

They're Eldar, they are explicitly based on Eldar. The final nail in the coffin is that they have an evil faction that are obviously Dark Eldar.

given that 40k is entirely populated by barely functional clusterfuck retards, i would say the protoss would completely dominate anything they encounter, except maybe the nids or crons, because they are the only races not completely crippled by retardation

Did they remember to charge their batteries?

There is also the fact that the first response by the Protoss back before Tassadar went all jesus was "glass the whole planet's surface, no questions asked". Even if they lose, they'll do a lot of damage first.

Fenix's power didn't run out, his blades malfunctioned.

They actually dont need to communicate in the same sense that we do. Even in their primative they cordinated hunting simply by sharing wills and experience. They don't need to try to communicate. hey just know what the other wants them to know.
Humans are a latent psionic race. They dont know it but they can recieve telepathic information. Alternatively, protos can tune their eminations to resonate with human aural nerves.
The mouthlessness of protas has been a problem of mine for a long time. Present cannon says they are sustained by feeding off of ambient radiation of the universe but their original descriptions in the SC player manual sighted hunting practices of their primative society. Beings that lived off of universe juice would have no need to hunt. (Blizz would never fuck up its lore, right? Right!?)
My head cannon is that they can absorb the energy of foods through some kind of phychic asmosis.

Finally, many of their psionic abilities are natuaral aspects of their being. Their technology enhances their abilities but even a lone, naked one is an eight foot monster that can will a weak force field into being.

>Humans are a latent psionic race. They dont know it
Wouldn't they have to know it if they train people as Ghosts?

They can absorb liquids and such by lathering it on their skin. They could have hunted for blood or other bodily fluids.

Think them not having mouths is an issue? Guess what? Protoss have been confirmed to give live birth AND confirmed to have no orifices of any kind. Explain that one. Blizz sure hasn't.

Honestly, Tassadar may have made the biggest mistake in not glassing Mar Sara. Sure it would have killed a bunch of humans but the protoss knew the threat posed by the zerg.
Their orbital firepower was supposed to be orders of magnitude greater than anyone else out there. Their purification protocals would likely rival or exceed extermanis. No fighting. Just beams of laserized solar corona. Whole worlds reduced to molten glass at the expression of a thought.

If we go by game mechanics then things would be very different but LORE makes the protass terrifying.

I'm pretty sure it's machines.

If you look at the Zealot portrait in Brood War, every time he talked the thing on his neck glowed red.

I like this. Nutrient rich blood. Mineral water. Sugary fruit juices to feed those brains. It calls to mind a restaurant/bath-house/orgy scene.
Some humans have discovered that some humans are psychic but its not common and not commonly known. Protoss would view humans as being almost awake but still asleep and muttering their dreams.

>but the protoss knew the threat posed by the zerg.

At the time, they really didn't. They didn't know of the overmind's existence or that it was searching for Aiur's location.

>LORE makes the protass terrifying
I remember reading somewhere (probably before SC2) that the Protoss numbered barely in the millions and were still giving the Zerg a good fight after being essentially pacifists for a good while (a Reaver, for example, wasn't even a real weapon but a repurposed mobile factory). They weren't even really dying in combat until they fucked up and the Zerg found their homeworld.

Also the lore states stuff like a single Colossus (an ancient war machine that got deactivated for being too good at war) could wipe and conquer entire planets of more primitive beings, or something like that.

>evil faction

No they don't

>the Tal'darim
>not evil

Even their leader loves acting evil

The Tal'darim don't remind me of the Dark Eldar at all beyond being evil versions of another race. They remind me much more of WHFB Dark Elves.

After the events of LotV, he doesn't go out of his way to antagonize others, but he does go on the warpath for revenge.

They started glassing wods because they had captured a scout/probe/drone and back traced its link to the overmind. They discovered the overmind, knew it's intent to find auir and knew that would be very bad for them. At the ti.e of the aborted purge of Mar Sara, the protass absolutely knew the risks. If they had known the zerg intent to assimilate humanity for their psionic abilities, though, they would have exterminated the species. Ita all in the manual for SC1.

>live birth
>no orifices
Well, obviously they rub up against each other, and then pregnancy starts out like a tumor on the skin, that grows and grows until it becomes like Kuato and eventually separates into a whole new Protoss.

>Download Broodwar to relive the Starcraft experience
>Remember the terrible pathfinding, limited unit selection max, and mostly repetitive campaign

Starcraft 2 has spoiled me.

>The mouthlessness of protas has been a problem of mine for a long time. Present cannon says they are sustained by feeding off of ambient radiation of the universe but their original descriptions in the SC player manual sighted hunting practices of their primative society. Beings that lived off of universe juice would have no need to hunt. (Blizz would never fuck up its lore, right? Right!?)
They hunted for sport and glory rather than food. They're a warrior culture from the start.

Plus before Adun united them, they spent most of their time hunting each other.

The Tal'darim when commanded by Amon are evil, but "naturally" they're just a sort of brutal neutrality model that worships combat prowess. They don't hurt meaninglessly or deliberately terrorize, they just believe that might makes right at every level of culture.

Good News! They're remaking Brood War with the same controls but updated most other stuff, so it's going to be better!

Even their manned ships really only had a crew of one. Tassadars sacrifice cutscene even shows that. Massive carrier, one protass inside.
I prefer to think that they DO have sex organs but Blizz doesnt want to be flooded with fanfics of nerds wanting to fug the protass bitches so they just ignore reproduction and say "oh, yeah, no holes to fuck here."

Same with the zerg, really. Though I think they under estimate nerds. I'm sure im not alone in wanting to bone Kerrigan but imagine the possibilities of fucking an ultra... or a hydra... or a hatchery... or a creep tumor... or all of them in the same day.

I know. Only graphically better, dragoons and goliaths will still have no idea where to go when I tell them to go somewhere.

I thought I read somewhere that the pathing specifically would be improved a little but that the unit ai wasn't changing and most of the tricks from BW would remain, like muta stacking and the like.

I'm pretty sure that SC:BW balance is so fragile and delicate and dependent on its idiosyncracies that they won't be touching anything related to gameplay without a 10-foot pole.

I'm fairly certain that Dragoons being anything but the complete retards they are now will shift balance in favor of Protoss, if even by a little bit, which will lead to cries of rebalancing or people telling them they ruined it.

So yeah, pretty sure Blizz is smart enough not to go there. Then again, it is modern Blizz, so who knows.

>I'm pretty sure that SC:BW balance is so fragile and delicate and dependent on its idiosyncracies that they won't be touching anything related to gameplay without a 10-foot pole.

They more or less said exactly that, they know people don't want it rebalanced in any way, hence why you still can't control more than 12 units at a time.

Bugs pertaining to the AI are not being changed. Bug like the one preventing valkyries and carriers from attacking are.

The Protoss are basically the missing link between Eldar and Tau.
>Blizzard told to make Warhammer games
>Everything falls through
>Furiously files off serial numbers.
>Brits in space now rednecks
>Tyranids now spergs
>Eldars are greys
>Suddenly Tau
>What began as three cheap knock-offs of GW properties becomes the inspiration for most of GW's aesthetics going forward

Honestly, the comparison between WH40k and Starcraft doesn't survive the most basic scrutiny. Beyond the very core concepts "humans," "bug aliens" and "ancient aliens" there are very few similarities between the corresponding races.

It's more correct to say that WH40k and SC were ripping off the same material than to say SC ripped of WH40k.

>Blizzard told to make Warhammer games
>Everything falls through
>Furiously files off serial numbers.
>Brits in space now rednecks
>Tyranids now spergs
>Eldars are greys
>Suddenly Tau
>What began as three cheap knock-offs of GW properties becomes the inspiration for most of GW's aesthetics going forward
40kids actually believe this

see
Exactly. Blizz were fucked over by GW. Not their fault - besides. Protoss are the furthest from their inspiration. Wheras Zerg are essentially Tryanids and Terrans are literally humans(At least if you compare the Imperium to the UED), the Protoss aside from a few tropes are completely different from Eldar.

I'd hazard to say that if their population was larger, they'd be able to cause psionic storms across the galaxy and beyond, and not just on planets of high population when they were in strife.

See They'd be formidable on the ground at least - especially considering that Zealots are their most basic ground troop.

>Blizz doesnt want to be flooded with fanfics of nerds wanting to fug the protass bitches
Life will find a way.

Buttfucked by daemons

According to the lore, they got zero orifices (unless you count skin pores and eyes).

That leaves us with a big question though:
If they do not have mouths, why the FUCK do the female protoss have tits?

SC1 protoss don't really resemble the Eldar at all outside of the "ancient technologically advanced psychic aliens" cliche.

SC2 did make them more like Eldar, but SC2 is shit so who cares.

Engineered race, xel'naga were some dirty old space manatees.

whats their invul save from the shield? 4+?

>protoss
>not completely crippled by retardation

What is the fucking conclave m8?
>Hurr, durr, we are under attack by da zerg, but you must go find Tassadar!
>Hurr, durr, we fight tassadar because he talked to the icy dark templar
>Hurr, durr, the zerg have overrun aiur, Tassadar plz help
>Hurr, durr, The queen of blades is controlling the Dark Templar matriarch, instead of telling others about this, I'll stage a rebellion!!

The Conclave were fucking morons and single handedly made Overmind's job at invading Aiur ten times easier.

Everyone that thinks WarCraft or StarCraft were ever going to be licensed GW games needs a history lesson.

When WarCraft was in development, Blizzard had just released the Death and Return of Superman and working under license from DC had turned them off of ever developing anybody else's properties ever again. Allen Adham was literally the only person who wanted to pursue a license agreement with GW, everyone else just wanted to make a fantasy RTS with their own IP and that's what they wound up doing.

And it did great, spawning a sequel and an expansion pack before they even started thinking about StarCraft. Why, after that kind of success, would Blizzard then go and prostrate themselves before Games Workshop for a license that they didn't need?