Unpopular Opinions

I like age of sigmar and I think everyone is over reacting but I still enjoy the over complicated rules of 40k and its showed stay that way

4e is one of the top three iterations of D&D.
Warhammer and Warhammer 40k are both lame.
Veeky Forums has gotten better in many ways over the years. The people who say it has only gotten worse are blinded by nostalgia.

>4e is one of the top three iterations of D&D.

2nd ed longbeard here, that's an objective fact.

Why do you feel the need to lie on the internet just to get (You)s, user?

dankyall

Games Workshop really isn't all that bad in comparison to other wargame companies.

Ultimately, we'd be a better board if, instead of yelling and reporting shitposts and trolls, we instead made light of the situation and either turned it into a joke, or took it so seriously it came back around as being ridiculous. Not in a mean-spirited way either, but in a genuine "Let's find a way to have some fun with this concept" manner.

The problem is we have fucktards trying to be the next Sir Bearington, Old Man Henderson, or whatever retarded screencap they saw that day. Shit is funny when it happens naturally, but when it is forced you end up with cringe worthy crap.

Well... let them! Why is it so important to not let them force a meme? It's not gonna pick up anyway if it's so forced, so the worst we can do is be decent people until the thread moves on to something more interesting.

GURPS is easy to learn for new players, much easier than DnD which most people start the hobby on. GURPS can actually be pretty rules lite as the rules you use are up to you as the GM.

GURPS offloads a lot of responsibility for knowing how the game works mechanically to the GM. Players can get away with just rolling 3d6 whenever the GM tells them to and listening to the GM say what does and doesn't work.

And if the players don't have a deep knowledge of the rules, that means you as the GM can just make shit up when you're not sure.

As a guy trying to start his first tabletop gurps has been the most friendly rulebook I've read. I haven't actually run anything yet but it's looking promising.

I'll add that all the pages in the gurps book contain mechanical info and stats tables while more than half the pages in DnD 5e contain fluff and """lore"""

Games with overly steep dice curves (except for character creation) are bad. Using a single die (like a d6 or d20) is better. It favors the underdog and makes better stories.

GURPS is a shit system, partially because of the above.

D&D's core rules are great. The oldschool D&D rulesets are the best editions.

99% of the time, you should homebrew a game instead of going 'raw' unless you're a newbie GM. You'll get better game feel and balance that way.

Gonzo settings are much better then 'gritty realistic settings'.

Magic being 'at a high cost' or 'dangerous' is fucking lame. Wizards should be whimsical, even silly at times.

Rolling for diplomacy/social situations is shit. It should all be roleplayed. Charisma should be renamed to 'Spirit' or 'Faith' and be used to represent religious power instead of tying it in with social ability. Intelligence could be renamed to 'Knowledge' to keep it more about "book smarts" then characters ACTUAL intelligence or planning.

There is nothing wrong with reskinning your elves/dwarves into other forms, but essentially keeping the same nature. Zelda does it extremely well.

The Imperium is one of the worst parts of 40k. "For Teh Emperor!" shitposting was never funny. Le kill the furries and xenos xd is fucking cringe.

Hard science fiction is unfun trash.

Early firearms ruin the high fantasy aesthetic even though they are totally historically accurate. Just use unrealistic crossbow-pistols and crossbow-cannons on ships instead.

Full plate is the most lame kind of armor. There are so many, far more interesting types, use those instead.

There is nothing wrong with using the -punk suffix to describe a fictional technological aesthetic. And no, just because it's "punk" doesn't mean it has to be actually a "punk" style campaign, it's just a shorthand for the technological gimmick of the setting.

Also, electropunk is the best -punk setting.

>none of these opinions are unpopular

As another guy who tried to get into ttrpgs through gurps, holy fuck that book was retarded. The game isn't even that bad, but learning how to play it took about 3 times as long as any other system I've tried.

Dwarves are a remarkably one-dimensional race that very rarely add any value to a setting they are placed in. Even the most daring reinventions of them are still just Tolkein dwarves with the serial numbers filed off. Halflings at least had an interesting take in the Darksun setting where they were life-leavers who have since devolved into feral savages, but even there Dwarves were this kinda greedy underground race that was mostly dying off anyway and players were discouraged from selecting, instead being offered a Mul or half-dwarf, which got tons of glory and uniqueness. Dwarves themselves, though? Utter footnote as an entire species beyond allowing a sterile half-breed race.

Dark Elves, of any sort, are at this point the least interesting variety of Elf by a large margin.

Eberron was the best setting officially supported during the reign of 3.5. It is a better, more interesting world than Forgotten Realms could ever hope to be.

Nah, the Eberron comment is something everyone believes, it's just the Eberron-fags(Myself included) are massive autists, especially about "Muh Consistent Lore."

Oh, it is? Good to know then, I must have a fucked up local sample size, all the assholes around here were 100% erect for Forgettable Realms.

On the board, or in your area?
The board in general has a "Make your own setting" mindset, on the grounds that you can cater the setting to the players, they can't autism about the lore being wrong, and you don't have to study a history textbook/wiki someone undoubtedly wrote.

Eberron gets a pass in that Keith Baker shares this view and basically created a consistent setting made of building blocks you can choose to add or remove, also there's no "Heroes" of the setting, so it really is all about your party.

In my area, not the board. And yeah, the no heroes part is an aspect that I loveā€”like okay, there ARE really powerful things out there, what with the stuff on Xen'Drik and the Daelkyr and all, but as far as champions of light that the folk look to in times of strife? Yeah, there's no Elminsters here.

People should take the guidelines of books designed to facilitate games of pretend with their friends less seriously on anime imageboards.

40k 7e was a bloated mess and almost anything would be better. Sigmar is a simple but fun game and I think that changing 40k to be more like it is a step in the right direction.
Random turn order and the way combat works should remain a Sigmar thing though.

Now, see, this is why 8E is going to work. Going from Warhammer to Sigmar is like going from chess to checkers. Going from 40k to Sigmar... That's going from checkers to checkers.

Was WHFB that strategic though? It kind of seemed like a battle of who failed their break tests first, or who cast the most bullshit spell the hardest.

It was in my experience, but I was famous around town for my awful rolling, so I had to win on strategy.

People who think GURPS is hard or dice curves are bad are mentally ill and must be executed.

Nah, That's what the preface statement on "Why I don't like GURPS" looks like.

In actuality the difficulty of GURPS tends to be the fact that every rule or feature in Gurps is self-contained in order to maintain modularity, which means that they each require enough text to make sense out of context, which overall makes a GURPS rulebook look something like a litigation textbook. Sure, every rule is clear, but it's far from concise.

The trouble also stems from the fact that the underlying mechanics of the system are exceedingly simple. It all boils down to adding or subtracting bonuses based on circumstances... and reconciling each and every bit is what makes GURPS so intimidating.

Theoretically it does go faster, but... There's really no appeal to a system that half of which seems like applying minor increments and decrements for a sum total just you can roll 3d6(The bell-curve of which means you actually depend on the bonuses and can't hand wave it.)

The 40k wargame is, by far, the worst implementation of the setting. The two RPGs based directly on it (Death Watch, Only War) are tied for second place, and Dark Heresy is wildly superior in, essentially, every way. Black Crusade is utterly uninteresting, and Rogue Trader (the RPG) is almost unplayable, mechanically, but remains an engaging idea with poor execution.

4E is, from a mechanical point of view, probably the most well-designed version of DnD. 5E is probably second, but it's a distant second.

3.PF was never, and will never be, a good system from a design perspective, it was just the system we all learned.

There are vanishingly few things that are all good or all bad, and almost certainly none of them are games. This point is misused, regularly, by people both denigrating and espousing it.

The primary flaw of most people on this board, and frankly the internet in general, is a lack of being articulate, internally and externally.

GURPS

not saying i disagree but who?

Combat in RPGs slows everything right down and is almost never enjoyable.

Yeah, forced memes are an important part of the memetic lifecycle. Shit like the Bogdanoffs and others started that way

5e is a genuinely good edition of D&D and advantage/disadvantage saved d20.
WH40k lore/novels are enjoyable, never played the games though.
I usually enjoy combat in ttrpg's more than I enjoy the 2+ hour conversations with NPCs.

The vast majority of humanity are dumb, overreacting whining pigs that can't come up with solutions themselves even when it is right in their face.

Also marines on 32mm bases look shit.

Earnestly roleplaying "cringy" and "cliche" things makes for the best experience. We're all trying to capture that sense of wonder we had in our youth, and if that is achieved by playing a katana wielding edgelord or the smarmy bard who sleeps around, then go for it. If you let yourself have fun, you'll actually have fun.

>The death of /wst/ led to several quality writefags leaving this board and decreasing the total creative content here.
>Group social chemistry matters just as much as if not more than the game (with obvious exceptions like FATAL).
>There are too many 40k generals.

Agreed. People have been taking memes far too seriously recently. They're just jokes, man.

Unfortunately. Though, it also tends to be where a lot of memorable moments come from, simply by way of being some of the easiest places to be flashy.

Dinosaur unrelated.

I think table-top roleplaying games are retarded (and I'm only here to steal the sweet story ideas).

> 40K
> Overcomplicated.

Maybe if you're 10 years old.