MTG Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General (Competitive Discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Metagame thoughts?

Decklists:
> mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
> mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
> mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Weekly Modern Metagame:
> mainphasemtg.net/gamingcontentblog/2017/4/24/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-42417

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WCD5RsSUmTJJHF870YQZ7oS1xBDTX3a0OPnfoRqKY7I/pubhtml/sheet?headers=false&gid=410422045
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-09-16-mardu-superfriends/
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/tier-2-modern/599726-grishoalbrand-griselbrand-reanimator
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/developing-competitive-modern/649266-bubble-hulk
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/draw-godek/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Direct weekly metagame link:
> docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WCD5RsSUmTJJHF870YQZ7oS1xBDTX3a0OPnfoRqKY7I/pubhtml/sheet?headers=false&gid=410422045

I am playing a meld deck because I am a retard. Especially with Fatal Push around.

does DSJ have trouble vs Dredge or something?

What are you taking from Amonkhet?

Not really, Dredge hasn't won a whole lot recently either, just played a ton.

There was some.discusion.towards the end of the last thread about TCC's new video and the issue of reprints for modern cards so check it: what if they revive the premium deck series and make bad versions of modern decks with a few staples thrown in?

Like, Premium deck series: The Rock
1x goyf, liliana, maelstrom pulse, abrupt decay, thoughtseize, verdant catacombs, a set of IoK and fatal push, some garbage filler and slap a $49.95 msrp on it. Print to demand and sell that shit in walmart.

new cryptic commands

Dredge is one of DSJ's worst matchups. However, if you are packing 3-4 graveyard cards and 1-2 Anger of the Gods in the sideboard it helps immensely.

Someone posted an image in the last thread that was a sticker attached to a deck box.

It was some smug anime girl on the box and people suggested that they play UW Control for maximum smugness.

That got me thinking:

>What image best represents your deck?
>Bonus points if it is a reaction image.

I built WG Hound Tribal with Adaptive Automaton, Metallic Mimic, and Collected Company. It is okay. Fun, but just okay.

I want a deck box with this cool dude on it.

>Pic related.

>meld, Fatal Push
Oh yeah... Fuck wizards must really hated their own mechanic. It's not even good to start with...

Harsh mentor.
Maybe go down an atarkas command or skull crack and lavamancer for a pair

You really should move away from ACommand, anyway. Unless you're still playong Nacatl. Were you planning to main Harsh Mentor?

Been looking for some foiled By Forces in Amonkhet

That aside, I've sleeved up Saheeli a couple weeks ago and damn this deck is fun to play

>no one plays Bogles anymore

Standard thread is two blocks down champ

good riddance

What makes you say that?

I'm curious how that interacts with spy kit...

Made top 4 for the first time with affinity . Feels good man

if glorybringer was just a tiny bit better i would replace a stormbreath in skred with it

however, im playing the real mvp instead. insult//injury.

I'm going to test 2 copies of snek god in my mono-green stompy deck but otherwise nothing. It's a shame though, I really enjoy some of the new mechanics and flavor.

It baffles me how bad they fucked the flashback split cards, none of them are constructed playable.

I will pick up a couple of Mindcensors and maybe that Remedies uncommon to see if it picks up in Melira CoCo builds (doubt it). Also a few of the Cycle lands to test around with Loam value builds but again I don't foresee anything solid coming from it, the 2 mana cycling cost slows down an already slow Loam shell.

Unrelated but I am reminded of that RUG Loam shitposter from a while back, pushing his laughably shit deck, what happened to him?

Man I actually love that deck. You're list is quite solid.
I want to see a version that's completely tuned around the blinking effects, using Oath of Nissa and co., maybe Huntmaster as a P&K clone, idk.
When your deck gets banned next month it should definitely have a home in Modern.

Didn't I play you on Xmage a couple of days ago? Or was it an other autist?

Any other Grixis Control players out there been getting shit on lately? Is the deck just not good enough to play anymore?

>see if it picks up in Melira CoCo, doubt it
Really? In a deck that already runs copies of a near-identical card, and already runs copies of a 2cmc dork? In a 4 CoCo 4 Chord deck built around assembling multi-creature combos?

Just don't overcommit the list to that meme and it's literally a pure buff to Abzan Company.

You can now make infinite mana by casting Melira the turn after you played a Wall of Roots, think of it like that.

1 Ana 3 Vizier instead of 2 Ana 2 Melira, replace Wall of Roots with Druid.

Add Duskwatch and SnekGod and you're good to go.

(OP from the scapeshift post you were taking to before in the last thread) My my meta has a lot of midrange and a doubling cube/helix pinnacle meme deck and pretty much any other saffron olive meme brew. Bunch of meme decks and turn 2 and 3 blood moons. I feel RUG would do decently there. Plus I haven't used my playset of cryptics since they've gotten reprinted and plummeted in price

It's perfectly fine, just too much low to the ground aggro strategies pissing about preying on the control and grindy decks

>In a deck that already runs copies of a near-identical card
Near being the key word. I don't know if you play the deck but if you did you would know the value Ana brings to the table and how crusial that 1 toughness gap is. But it's not the end of the world and even I could see it replace Melira (which means she would have to take up sideboard slots for the infect/affinty matchup which isn't idea) that was not what I meant by my post, I was referring to the going all in with Devoted Druid/infinite mana build, that I am skeptical of. But hey I dislike Raliers over Ewitts so maybe I am slow to change.
>You can now make infinite mana by casting Melira the turn after you played a Wall of Roots, think of it like that.
No you can't, wall of roots doesn't place -1/-1 counters it places 0/-1 counters and doesn't interact. Are you sure you know what you are talking about.
> replace Wall of Roots with Druid.
As far replacing Wall of Roots with Devoted druid I really don't like especially in the current aggro heavy meta, I can't count the times it has saved my butt blocking goyfs, Flayers, guides and all sorts of cancer only to make chord for a game changer EOT due to the double mana it provides, hell I am in the minority that runs of them and I love it. Devoted druid does none of these things.
>Add Duskwatch and SnekGod and you're good to go.
Duskwatch is subpar on it's own compared to other value generators (tried it as 2 offs when it came out) and I honestly don't get the snake god meme, literally none of the creatures in a standard list are over 4 power and even if they were what the fuck is the point? Attacking with a 5/5? So? Do you have any idea how tight the list is and even when the does goes for the beatdown path to victory it goes wide with Gavony beats. No clue what the people talking about Rhonas are actually thinking.

Bad matchups in the current meta. I switched to Delver but its still subpar so I am putting the deck aside for now and playing something else.

What should I buy if I want a large assortment of random cards(other than those stacks of commons that just have duplicates)
I'm just looking to get a large amount of cards for me and my friends, so we can mess around a bit

>that runs 3 of them
Mistake

If your meta is a meme powered, shitbrew one the yeah go for it since it really doesn't matter in that regard if it isn't a competitive scene. As someone that has sleeved up the deck in the past (after BTL was printed) I have to say it's pretty fun to play and it rewards tight play especially games 2-3 where they are coming for your combo.

Still tho I would again suggest you pick up the Titans now.

>your melira and wall of roots now combo for infinite
>"durr wall of roots+melira doesnt make infinite mana!!"
>not understanding I was being analogous
As condescending as your first post.
Make no mistake, you're sleeping on the interaction, but by all means you're right as far as Vizier being worse than Melira and Druid being worse than Wall. The deck wins through assembling combos more often than it wins through value, and the combo is extremely low opportunity cost (the cards are doing what the deck innately wants)

And by the way, Snek requires creatures with power 2 to be good.
As for Duskwatch, you don't even need him with Snek, as any time you could find him you can just as easily find Snek, I prefer having more sinks in the deck for the combo.

Example:

Turn 2 Druid, Turn 3 cast CoCo: you hit Vizier, you gain infinite stackproof mana (unless they kill druid before coco resolves)

vs

Turn 2 Wall of Roots, Turn 3 cast CoCo: you hit Melira, and you wish you weren't a huge faggot running inferior cards

Is this card going to make modern even worse?

For sure. I already have the g/r together. Just need to do something about the memes. So I'll technically still have both decks Judy one at any given time.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-09-16-mardu-superfriends/
Does anyone remember this? It needs an update, can anyone suggest newer cards/new meta counters?

DSJ has trouble against any deck that aims to go super wide.

>mono green stompy
Post list please

And any time you CoCo with your shitty 2mana dork out, they literally must kill it, or risk infinite mana. Your """Wall of Roots""" aka Druid, you daft boy, double as """Spellskites""" whenever you are trying to assemble a """Melira""" persist loop.

>The deck wins through assembling combos more often than it wins through value
Game 1, game 2 and 3 your chances of comboing are reduced at least by half in most matchups.
>>And by the way, Snek requires creatures with power 2 to be good
So you not only want to play a 3 mana do nothing doesn't fit your gameplan you are actually relying on it to spend 3 mana every turn (6 total if you want it to block) just to make it attack and block? This is fucking Pod deckbuilding 101.

I ask again, how long have you been playing this deck? I ain't saying that I won't test all this out, I test even the fringest shit that comes with each set but as someone that has been playing this deck since it's inception I am not optimistic and relying/over investing on the combo win is a rookie mistake. Podless is akin to Twin, a deck that does it's thing and can win out of nowhere if you don't respect it.

I play RB reanimator in legacy, and I'm looking for something equally greedy in modern. Any suggestions?

It certainly won't oppress the format. It will be an interesting look for the Delver type decks to play.

It's a combo piece. I can rant about how Redcap is a shit card all day (in fact I've cut it, life+scry for ana does the same thing) but it clearly has a purpose. The same reason people run Duskwatch and the same reason why most other people are trying to jam Ballista in a CoCo deck.
You don't need to use the ability for him to be powerful; if you have 4 mana open and threaten for him to block, endstep CoCo if they don't... or even CoCo endstep, untap and pump+swing is a lot of power.

But he's not in the deck for that reason he's a 1of the same reason Invoker would be be a 1of were it a passable creature on it's own.

The only two fast reanimator type decks in Modern are Grishoalbrand using Goryo's Vengeance to reanimate a Griselbrand and then using Nourishing Shoal exiling Worldspine Wurm to keep gaining life and drawing the deck and either attacking in another combat step on the same turn with Fury of the Horde or flinging a bunch of cards to the opponent's face with Borborygmos Enraged. Alt win con can still use Through the Breach a Worldspine Wurm or Griselbrand or Emrakul

The other is Hulk Footsteps using Footsteps of the Goryo to put a Protean Hulk into play, sacrificing it at endstep with the trigger and then grabbing Body Double and Viscera Seer. Body double copies the Protean Hulk and then sacs to Viscera Seer, searches for Reveillark and Mogg Fanatic. Sac Mogg Fanatic to ping them in the face, sac Reveillark to Seer, grab Body Double and Mogg Fanatic again, Body Double copies Reveillark and Mogg fanatic pings for 1. Sac Body Double that is the copy of Reveillark and bring itself back when the death trigger happens and Mogg Fanatic. Repeat as necessary. Alt wincon Through the Breach into Emrakul or Body Double copying Grave Titans.

Grishoalbrand is capable of winning turn 2, sometimes extremely rarely on turn 1 but the combo can whiff. Hulk Footsteps is capable of winning turn 3, little bit more consistent and can fight through hate a bit better. Seeing as you liked to be greedy, go with Grishoalbrand.

This card isn't even good

r8h8
also don't judge the saffi, she's cute.
CUUUTE!!!

At least you can attack through Ensnaring Bridge.

Stockpiled and sold at market value of the singles on ebay.

Bad idea.

The speculated reason that Wotc doesn't put known good cards into Duel Decks/Clash Packs is that apparently, most weren't making it into the hands of the players. They were getting opened up by store owners and sold because the individual cards were worth more than the MSRP of the set.

That's not the point of Rhonas; he was originally Walking Ballista. Then he was Invoker, then Menagerie, and finally it was Rhonas who rose above them as the best wincon.

List for both?

>I can rant about how Redcap is a shit card all day (in fact I've cut it, life+scry for ana does the same thing)
Now you truly lost me. Redcap on it's own have won me tons of games both by the shock sniping a key piece and by stalling with Gavony/Feeder to cancel out the -1/-1 counter. Also I don't see how you can't run it, I can name at least 5 matchups off the top of my head that don't fold to infinite life and can lock the board so that Melira+ana+sac+finks don't seal the deal.

I bet you don't even run Thune/Feeder you fucking heathen

Have you tested it?
>Rhonas
>Duskwatch (went into detail earlier)
>No main board Tracker (I run 2, he is the solution to the grindfest, topdeck war of the current meta)
>Selfless main (it's a meta choice and I personally didn't like it but I do run 2 in the side or 1 and 1 Forge Tender)
>2-2 split of Rallier-Ewitt, I prefer the 1-2 split because it can clog your hand with 4 total copies
>No Voice mainboard (meta choice too)
>1 fucking gavony, seriously?
>22 lands, big mistake probably the biggest one I made early on from the switch from Pod to CoCo even doubly now with Tireless.
>I prefer the 1-1 (or even 0-2 with the speed of the meta) split with Canopies and fastlands but that's marginal
>Saffi, come on now
>3 Nobles is too many imo, I run the 4-2 split (hell I am even testing 4-0 and it's surprisingly pretty fucking great)
>Nigga build a fucking sideboard before showing off, what the balls? That's half your worth as a pilot, especially in a toolbox deck like this
6/10. I also like to run a single encha/artifact hate mainboard (pridemage) so that you aren't totally dead to meme decks like enchantress and Lantern and it hoses a lot of other decks as well.

Yeah but outside of Rhonas you don't have a very good sideplan or alternate line of winning. You don't really have any good dudes that you can ramp into to provide a solid blocker or attack on the board. You don't really pressure early against decks faster than you nor do you pressure against decks that will eventually have inevitability against you at a certain point in stage 3 aka the lategame. You don't even have room for Path or a Thoughtseize in the deck for problem cards you may come up against. What if you end up playing against another Abzan CoCo or Abzan deck and they slam in a Linvala Keeper of Silence against you, you practically can't win or answer that at this point. Like Saffi is fine because you can just loop dudes Finks forever with the Seer and stabilize or make it unlikely for your opponent to win there and then but some decks just don't give a shit about your life total and will win outside it like AN with Lab Maniac.

The combo win should be the plan B while the plan A should be to have effiicent beatdown against decks that have no aggression early but are strong middle and lategame.

My Hulk Footsteps deck is somewhat outdated(we're talking like Splinter Twin era of Modern) for current metagame. At best all I can do is link you to mtgsalvation forums for some lists and trending changes between the decks. Hulk Footsteps is very rarely played so the surprise factor can get people. Grishoalbrand most people are generally aware of.

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/tier-2-modern/599726-grishoalbrand-griselbrand-reanimator
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/developing-competitive-modern/649266-bubble-hulk

Added the Tracker.
Basically you're saying -1Noble +1Land, the rest is average but okay? I'm fine with this.

The 2 Canopy is good with 2 Rallier, as for 2 Gavony, call me chickenshit but I'm a fetch-for-basic kinda dude and I don't want to get colorcucked. I'm still going to test with 22 lands but I can see why more would be good.

And you lay off Saffi, she tries just as hard as Selfless Spirit okay?! She even brings an etb along with her, don't bully saffikun

I don't think you understand the importance of Gavony, I would rather run 3 than run 1. Any enemy pilot worth his salt will most of the time target it for land destruction/Spreading Seas as opposed to trying to color screw you.

Thanks

Hey guys I made a massive mound of jank that I think might be good and was looking for opinions.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/draw-godek/

Much appreciated

Spell Queller seems like a poor fit, Vendilion Clique might be better.

I would consider Esper Charm, Mystical Teachings and Celestial Colonnade.

Retaliate is trash, Consume the Meek is much better, and even with that you'll probably want some number of proper Wraths in the side.

How do you handle BW aggro allies? pic related always makes play's awkward.

By just winning the fucking game because that's not a real deck?

Shoot him with removal at EoT and then play a sweeper next turn

Or just run Anger of the Gods

>59 card maindeck
>3 card sideboard

wut

see If you're losing to that you're either really bad or playing a really bad deck. Probably both.

Yeah, that's what almost happened with commander 2013 because one of the decks had true-name nemesis in it, so they printed the shit out of that deck until TNN crashed to $20 and it wasn't worth opening a $30 msrp product to get them anymore

Print
To
Demand

maybeboard?

The entire point is to be Path-proof.

Stormbreath is too good at stealing games from white decks.

I have a boogles feck with the fetches and shocks. What can I turn it into kinda on the cheap?

Here's my list. It's nothing particularly fancy. I'm going to be dropping the pair of Dungroves to fit in Rhonas initially and see how it goes.

>Kalonian Tusker
>No Blossoming Defense
>No Narnam Renegade

Wrong, try again.

>posting on mtg salvation
>suggesting bedlam reveler in a build
>guy comes back with a list with 19 instants and sorceries and says he doesn't think Reveler really fits in the deck while I was running 30 instants and sorceries

Are you retarded man? Like how can people be so fucking shit at mtg?

>Narnam Renegade
>in a deck with no reliable way to enable revolt

>not playing green fetches in your stomps list

>Play it in second main after trading creatures

It's not hard user

But dude, you gotta run fetches for deck thinning! That's how you trigger revolt.

Memes aside, it's a 1/2 Deathtouch for G, that can potentially pump your Avatar.

>playing against R/G Zoo as tron
>assemble tron too late, he has me next turn
>sigh and play Karn anyway, exile his best creature
>doesn't matter though, he he still has lethal next turn
>he takes a moment to assess the situation at the beginning of his turn
>sends two of his guys at Karn, sparing me
>drop Ugin next turn and stabilize
Some people are just not great at magic.

i play grishoalbrand. haven't played br reanimator
i guess they can both kill pretty fast but with grishoalbrand you usually end up winning by dealing massive damage in one turn
You should give it a try. there are a lot of fun tricks it can pull and you get to play the biggest creatures in the format!

Plays like that really baffle me, because you'd think as an aggro player against a big deck like Tron you'd be counting for lethal constantly. It's not some durdly creature mirror where it's not immediately obvious because of weird combat math, it's literally "I need to count to 20 ASAP or I fucking lose". How can you mess that up?

Is there anything more pathetic than playing against someone not on DSJ? It's fucking sad, as each card they draw is discarded, and each creature they play outclassed by my vastly superior beats. It honestly makes me sick, being so poor you can't even affor good decks. I personally believe if you're not playing DSJ you need to end your life.

How effective is pithing needle vs tron? Fixing up my sideboard and don't know if I should be cutting my single copy of pithing needle or not.

It turns off Karn or Ugin, so potentially pretty effective.

It can actually be pretty efficient. Works insanely well in a deck with multiple Ancient Stirrings

You mean UNCRYPTIC COMMANDI?

But pithing doesn't hit ancient stirrings? Not sure what your line of thought is here.

I think what he's saying is the deck running Ancient Stirrings works well running needle as well.

I must say, I'm impressed with how well Gifts Storm plays. After probe was banned I thought that was that, but the new deck is more fun to play as well as actually more resilient.

Baral is better than Ascension, and Probe is only worth playing with Ascension anyway.

>Playing Melira
>Game 3
>Opponent is on some jank GW Tron build, very bad match up
>Have seen he has boarded in Paths
>My turn, Ana and Seer on the board t3
>Got no turn 3 play but finks but also no lands
>"Whatever, he will probably path but I have nothing better to play and need the mana"
>Cast Finks
>It enters
>In response to the life gain effect his Paths the Finks

To be fair I'm shit at math. I play 8 whack so I have to double count to check I'm counting everything right with bushwhacker +1 and since I play signal pests I gotta add that as well then I have to remember foundry st triggers.

an UB cycling deck for kitchen table/dicking around in standard

Maybe if I go crazy I'll get some copies bird delver and try it somewhere