GM/DM Help

Welcome to the GM/DM help thread. GMs and DMs, new and old, ask your questions and may they be answered.

When is a DMPC ok?

When you realize that you didn't properly modulate the difficulty of the session for the party (say, if your healer canceled last minute in a trap filled maze).

When the DMPC is actually the BBEG in disguise.

When you're good enough at writing and portraying the character that your players enjoy having them around.

Never.

Just don't give them the best crap, don't let them outshine the pcs and do things they can't, don't let them be the hero who lands the final blow on the villain, don't let them railroad the players, and don't make them the leader. That's about all I have for now

When your party is ok with one.

How do you get better at dialog?

Seconding this

how do you mean? like writing it or actually talking as the character

Define "better at dialogue". What is the specific problem you are having?

It starts with figuring out who the character you're portraying is.
Then figure out what they want.
Then, imagine that you're that person and want that thing.
Then say what you would say in that context.

You can get more advanced with it, but I think that's a good baseline for most people

I have no idea what I'm doing and my players are novices. I've got the GURPs book and I'm putting in the prep work to have a little quest for the players to go after but I'm afraid it's gonna be awful because I've literally never done this before.

I guess my big hurdle is with unexpected dialog, like if the PCs throw a question/response that's really out of left field or I need to make a new NPC up on the spot.

watch some videos on it, be confident and theres no way in hell you will be able to think of everything they can do so you're going to have to just roll with it sometimes and move encounters if you have to

When the party needs a guide or a mascot.
> say a local basketweaver that is looking for glory alongside the PC's.
> worst case; if the players shows signs of not enjoying your NPC, just let him die on the road.

just having a random backlog of npc's you can throw in if you need to as for them randomly asking questions if its not too important just make something up

chill dude. not gonna be perfect but if you try hard your players will appreciate it. if you mess up just keep going.

What's the part that you have trouble with? Is it having the answer to question you didn't expect, or is it having a specific NPC in mind for every Joe Blow Farmer your party wants to talk to?

Are there any tips or tricks at improving my ability to describe things? I'd like to be able to describe a setting to my players so that they can visualize it. I also would like to be able narrate npcs so they feel somewhat real and lively instead of one dimensional

>descriptions
Write them out in advance.

>narrate NPCs
Practise. That's really the only way to get better at it.

How do you train stupid players to not do stupid shit? I've tried mentioning the game is lethal beforehand, and got everyone on board. I've followed through with my threats. It's like punching a marshmallow. They just cheerfully roll up new characters to replace the old ones, who will last about as long: Most characters live on average about 1 and a half sessions so far, which could easily triple if they stopped doing things like insulting people vastly more powerful than they are, frontally assaulting (because we'd get more loot and XP!) areas they know they have backdoors into, and never coordinating anything with any of the NPC allies they do have.

I wanted to go for a "death is ever-present, so you have to be careful" vibe. What I've got is a game where nobody is on less than their 4th character.

As a mouthpiece, a guide, side kick, quest giver or mentor.
Seriously, having someone who can talk to the pcs regularly is a godsend for if they get stuck or severely misunderstand something you were trying to convey.
Basically, a dmpc should be the WD-40 of your campaign: if things get stuck, they help unstick them. They don't outshine the pcs, they assist them.
Obi-Wan Kenobi is a good dmpc. He gives guidance and information, helps the crew out of a tight spot but never outshines them, and has the good graces to die when the pcs are ready to be on their own.

Think of a few broad character traits, then play to those.
For example: hay seed farmer, very religious, stammers around pretty women. He says "Gods be praised" every few sentences, and when the cute Paladin asks him a question mention that he flushes and stumble over your words a little.
Also, think of an actor you like. Do an impression of them. "Casting" your npcs can be fun, and a bad impression makes a great new character!

Maybe instead of dropping them for insulting powerful people you could throw them in jail so they have to escape, or turn them into gladiator type slaves who fight for entertainment until they get out?

Maybe have the NPCs try to coordinate with the PCs and ask them to formulate a plan.

For the frontal assault, maybe have a scouting party spot them before they get there and chase them off so that they know that the front is impossible?

The big thing is to never have a plan for how the players are going to do things.

Especially if it's your first time, you're going to be tempted to put in a little set piece, or to have a sequence prepared, or an interactive cutscene. Resist that urge.

If you look at all the greentexts that get shared around here, what you see is that all players remember are the awesome things they did, or how they had a sick come back to that dude, or how he totally broke the system and came up with a great hack. Nobody really is impressed by anything you do.

Tabletop games aren't like videogames, where you have to create something fun for people. In TTRPGs players make their own fun. The best way to facilitate this is to set up a bunch of pieces, and let the players interact and mess with them as they see fit.

This is especially true with GURPS, which is focuses on simulating something approximating reality. Real life doesn't have set pieces and neither should you. Be creative and improvise, and you'll be golden.

In other words, railroad them out of the natural consequences of their actions. I guess that's one route, but it was one I was hoping not to have to take.

So my players are coming back to roleplaying after a long break. Out of 4, only 1 is an experienced roleplayer, and 1 more has background in tabletop games.
Each player has built a PC that they are comfortable with, but in past games they have tended to speak player to player, rather than in character, leaving each PC feeling like simply a reflection of their player, rather than a person with values, goals, and flaws.

I want to help my 3 newbies come out of their shells. One of my ideas is before next session I'll have them fill out a dating profile. What does your PC see as an ideal date? Where do they see themselves in 5 years? What animal do they most identify with?

Any ideas for questions, or how to keep this fun and light while also giving myself and them useful roleplaying information? They have come really far as players and I just want to help them be as awesome as I think they could be.

TL;DR, if you could ask your PC's any questions, what would they be?

thanks

>
>As a mouthpiece, a guide, side kick, quest giver or mentor.
>Basically, a dmpc should be the WD-40 of your campaign: if things get stuck, they help unstick them. They don't outshine the pcs, they assist them.
This.
Seriously, how do people not get this? I almost always make my NPCs noncombat, because trying to fight myself while fighting against the party that I'm fighting with always hurts my brain. Even when I have combat NPCs I usually forget to use them.

>Obi-Wan Kenobi is a good dmpc. He gives guidance and information, helps the crew out of a tight spot but never outshines them, and has the good graces to die when the pcs are ready to be on their own
I'm stealing this analogy.

I like this a lot.
I find myself tending towards fewer characters in my stories, but each being more unique. Try to put yourself in their mind, and then improv will be easier.

Make them care about their PC's. Make them love them, root for them, and give them second chances when things go badly. Make it gut-wrenching when they realize they don't get a third chance.
You can do it user

>For the frontal assault, maybe have a scouting party spot them before they get there and chase them off so that they know that the front is impossible?

>implying PCs will ever retreat from a battle

That isn't railroading them. They can try to resist being arrested or just run away and you should make it to where if they're clever, the can get away.

The npc wanting to coordinate with them just wants to make it out alive. Maybe have them ask the players what their plan is or what they (the npc) should do.

Just because a scouting party found them doesn't mean they have to run away, maybe they can kill them and make disguises, maybe they decide to go guns blazing even though the enemy is on high alert, or something else.

These are just other options that are different then"you all were retarded, now you're ded lol"

I actually love that approach when applied to video games as well. I hate cutscenes and I think oblivion was a mistake.

I posted this in another thread, but now that this one is here, might as well:

Has anyone ever ran a game for a couple? How'd that go? I've been asked to run a game for a friend and his fiancee, both have played before in my campaigns, but my gut tells me this might not be such a good idea.

Yeah, it was great. I ran a game for two couples that was a lot of fun, and I've run sessions for various pairs at various times too.
Really, if you're friends with both of them it should be fine. Are you worried about being a third wheel or what?

How was the threesome?

Depends on the couple. If they usually get along in game you will be fine.

>Are you worried about being a third wheel or what?
Not really, I'm not really sure what I'm worried about. Probably conflict and conflict resolution, their characters tend to be at odds with each other, not a problem when there's a 5 player party, but if it's just two of them that might take center stage.

I'm pretty much set on agreeing, just wanted to know if there was something to be wary about and what other people's experiences were.

I need to make a very short one shot (2/3 hours) for a post apocalyptic settings (Atomic Highway is the system) I have absolutly no idea what to do and where to begin with. What plot hook could I give to the players?

You need to find a middle ground, don't be to extensive or it will be boring but don't make them to short or it will be very bland. like this user said write them in advance but only if you are sure to use them during the session

Show, don't tell. Don't describe a bedroom like you're going through and IKEA catalogue: "there's a bed against the wall and next to a dresser. There's a window on the east side."

Instead: "sun streams through the window onto a bed nestled between a dresser and the wall."

Also, try to limit descriptions. I'd say the average person can only take 3 pieces of information about a a visualisation before they zone out/get confused. Nothing is going to prevent that, it's just a limitation of most people's ability to visualise things. Just set the scene quickly with something everyone can relate to and that people can instantly invoke in their minds ("the room is a mess") and fill in details as the players explore. Players don't need to know every single detail of a scene, nor do they need to share exactly what you're seeing your mind.

Generally speaking, when the PCs decide to make an NPC a equal party member. Hirelings are not DMPCs, for example.

Try to have fun. If the current adventure is not going anywhere, like there's no leads to a new thing after the complete the dungeon and beat the baddie, give them a few months of rest. Ask them what they would do, maybe reward them a little bit. Then introduce a new adventure. Maybe in another part of the world!

Figure out what kind of descriptions you like. Watch narrative shows, even DnD shows, take inspiration from those.

Reward non aggressive play. Show them that frontal assault leads to the enemy coward or leader running away with most of the loot. They accidentally destroy the treasure because of their crazy actions.
The biggest part of this is not on your hands, but your players. If they are not invested in their characters, you can't force them to take interest in their PCs without breaking the game.

The dating thing might put your players off unless you're ERPing.
Tell them "you can't do this much planning OOCly". Ask them "what is your character doing here? How does he feel about this?" (at least vaguely related to his character's personality or backstory, or how he plays them)

I've ran several games featuring couples. I don't think it would work well if it is only you and them (party dynamic may be weird). With one or two other players it should be fine unless they are weird people.

Building on this, there are really 3 main sections of a description: Setting the scene, appeal to the senses and then the call to action (these are just what I found to work, you may find differently).

-Setting the scene
This is a quick sentence or two that pretty much sums up the feeling you're trying to go for. You could theoretically finish your description here and your players would still be on the same page. The idea is to really hook your players in with evocative language, while still being generic enough that they conjure up a scene for themselves in their mind.
>"As you enter the tavern, you are almost knocked to your feet by the sound of raucous laughter and cheery music."
>"The moon casts an eerie glow over the cemetery."

-Appeal to the senses
Now you can start to fill in the specifics. This part is mostly filler, but helps the pacing of a description and builds on what you established in the first part. Try to branch out and hit different senses for some variety.
>"Frazzled barmaids bustle between tables, laden down with trays of dark beer. In the fire pit stands a whole boar roasting on a spit, its heady aroma and crackling skin enticing you further in."
>"There is a thick fog that creeps under your clothes and sticks to your skin. The rusted gates screech open as you push against them, the old metal flaking between your fingers."

-Call to action
This is one is important and is something that is entirely optional, but greatly helps. This sentence nudges your players in a direction. People are just more likely to listen to the last thing they heard, so if you put something important here, players are more likely to go check it out/interact with it. It also helps to mark that you've ended your narration and you're throwing it back to the players.
>"Next to you, a large barman winks at you and fills a couple of tankards."
>"On the top of a small hill in the center stands a statue of King Leo III staring down at you with eyes of cold marble"

Strange question I have a few players who are too scared to do any challenge in fear of losing their characters so it puts me in a very odd position.

Because they always run away from traps and monsters if they lose HP at all. How can I solve this? I'm not even a Killer GM I don't got the guys and I always fudge rolls so they don't get fucked. I'm honestly at a loss and I've tried a lot of things.

Guts* and I have the opposite of Munchkins they are scared of everything

Maybe try raising the stakes for them so that failing an objective is worse than being hurt?
>Mom has come down with desert fever and the only cure for her is retrieving a sand pearl from the nearby antlion cave?
Either mommy is gonna die or the PCs are gonna grow a pair and get that damn pearl no matter what

Huh I never would of thought of that holy shit that makes sense. I'm gonna think of different ways to get raise stakes now.

New-ish GM here, running an open-world Pathfinder game for four. Gave them a starting point, plothooks, let them get the feel of the setting etc. and they throwed me a bunch of ideas as well as their backstories, so basically when they made their character, their backstories gave me ideas to make them 'objectives'.

Many fun times were had, and they love it that they can bump into people/places from their backstory; essentially they filled in the blanks I left open in the setting.

Except That Girl. She gave a very vague background. Usually is quiet, but with a little coaxing she can roleplay her character well. But for 3-4 sessions she's literally just saying 4-5 sentences per game, doesn't cast spells, nor use the class' abilities (plays an Inquisitor). She made a decent character stat-wise, but can't play it. To the point of me having to help her out with the modifiers constantly, and got to the point, that I just ignored reminding her X+3rd time that she needs to reload the crossbow to be able to shoot again.
I even literally threw in a repeating crossbow into the game as part of the loot they got from a tomb's trophy room they cleared out to solve that problem. Turned out she wouldn't want to take it, because it would be stealing/dishonorable (She's chaotic good though).

In all seriousness: I'm reluctant to kick her out, since it would sour the mood for the rest. So how can I get her more involved with the game, that she would bother to put in more effort?

You could try going easy on the difficulty for a few sessions, before cranking it up. I usually get pretty invested in my characters, but it takes time, and if they're all dead or dying every session there's no incentive to get attached to them.

A DMPC is not the same as a dmpc.
That said, most of the people on Veeky Forums are misanthropes who automatically assume any npc that accompanies the party is something nefarious.
You don't saddle a npc with the party if the party doesn't want them there, and if they are there, then they don't take the spotlight. They do their thing in a scrap, they make rolls when prompted by the party, but always realize they are supporting cast, not the star.
Pull her aside and tell her in no short words she needs to step it up.
You clearly have a baseline expectation of investment, as most GMs do, and she isn't meeting it. The quiet thing is a small issue, I have a quiet player in my game and that can be massaged out by asking her directly what she would like to do in a situation, but being unable to manage her own character is beyond the pale.
To answer your question, you can't make a player get more involved, they need to bring that themselves 9.5/10 times, so tell her to either actually play the game, and that means being able to do the math, understand how her pc works and the basic mechanics, or decide if this is a game she wants to play in because it only gets harder.
>also, NEVER be afraid to kick a player
>ever

Have you tried talking to her? Like mano-a-mano? Maybe there's some issue.

The alternative that I've tried is to find some plot device to split the party, and do a shorter solo backstory-related mission in ones or twos. Less people in the party means she'll have to come out of her shell a little (although don't force this if it doesn't seem to be working)

I had that problem once. I just treated the player as a non entity, made no plot hooks for their character, stopped helping them on their turns etc. They left eventually by themselves and no one else minded.

And yes, I did try talking to them about it. I even made a whole side quest for their character, but they never took the bait in game (even though out of game I explictly told them what the hook would be).

>do a shorter solo backstory-related mission in ones or twos
This can go a long way, but I've had it backfire when dealing with type A personalities (when they didn't have anyone to blame for failure except themselves) and people with anxiety problems (who are also often type A).
I agree and don't with this. Personally, I'd rather ask them to leave than take a rather passive aggressive approach. I value a face forward confrontation and resolution.
Exactly how does the group feel about her? Have you asked them individually?

Already talked to her, asked her whether there was an issue, or is there something I can tweak to make it more to her liking, but she said everything was fine. Giving her the benefit of the doubt, I think she's just a bit too shy or a tad introvert.

>The alternative that I've tried is to find some plot device to split the party, and do a shorter solo backstory-related mission in ones or twos. Less people in the party means she'll have to come out of her shell a little (although don't force this if it doesn't seem to be working)

That... is actually a pretty good idea. Cheers!

>she said everything was fine
And this is your blaring klaxon.
She thinks what she is doing is alright, when it is patently not, and you clearly didn't tell her that.
You dun goofed.

The Group, are all too damn nice people for their own good, and try to keep her involved, and give her a bit of spotlight if she goes too quiet. That's why I'm reluctant to just kick her out.

That's why you gotta hit them up 1v1.
They are trying to accommodate, but all she has really learned is what she is doing is alright, and she doesn't need to try any harder than what she is.
You have watched the molding of a bad player.

Well, feck, on hindsight, I really dun goofed. Hopefully will manage to salvage it. Cheers.

Good luck to ya.

How do I rationalize moving horizontally (west-east) on a hex map?

I want to do a session like a hexcrawl, but I don't want my players to feel like they are on a game board with movement restrictions.

Hexes imply miles crossed, not a 1 to 1 representation of real life.
Crossing a hex 2 miles across is 2 miles no matter where you end up on the other side.
You are overthinking it, user.

I'm trying to make NPCs for my game, but they all seem cardboard-ish to me. I feel like I don't understand what they're supposed to be and what they do for living.
That said, what should I read to get a grasp on a live of naval officer/sea captain? Medieval period is preferrable.

Help me simplify it then please.

I'm thinking my players will move from an hex center to the next hex center, and say that those two points are at 1mile distance.

If they decide to just keep going 1 mile east, do I describe the content of the hex above, or the one below?

What exactly about them are you struggling with? If they own a boat then they sail for a living. Maybe they transport cargo or people, maybe they're a naval ship, explorers, pirates, anything of that sort.

>Columbus' Logbook
>The Discovery of Slowness

I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. Chances are your players won't give two shits, and even if they do you might be able to spin some stuff together on the fly (or the NPC might not want to tell them straight away, I mean why would they?)

I'd say the important thing is to get the 'character' right. Get a few mannerisms, opinions or quirks on each npc and you're good to go. History can be tacked on later if the players get curious for some reason.

Hey Veeky Forums I'm a first timer GM that's actually starting my first campaign this friday and there's a few things I'm worried about in regards of just DMing in general for 5e.

I have an.. interesting group of players to say the least.
>One always wants to have max stats, and hates having stats lower than a +4 ((His highest on his sheet is a +3 and he has three of them after picking his race)) and also has two flat 10s (Playing as an Artificer 5e)
>Another is basically fine with everything that they get and makes interesting characters (( A woman who fought in a mimic outbreak and beat them to death with a rolling pin, which is her weapon [Fighter] ))
>And the last one is my best friend who is currently undecided.

My problem is that I don't know if this is enough players to play Black Fang Dungeon and The Tales of the Yawning Portal.

Should I bring in a DMPC? Should I try to get more players in? I want them to have fun but I'm not sure if I'd ruin it by bringing a DMPC in.

You got this, man. If your friend won't play a more support oriented character, jst throw some healing potions at them and maybe scale down the encounters a little. You'll be way too preoccupied with dming to run a pc.

>What exactly about them are you struggling with?
How do I give an impression of competence?
Thank you
I don't know much about medieval navy mannerisms, but that's good advice, thank you

By having decent general knowledge? I know fuck all about boats and just describe them in simple terms. One of my players tries to be a total know it all and keeps asking what type of boat it is and all I say is "a big one" or "a small one". It's the same with blacksmithing, I don't have specific real world knowledge, but I can give decent enough descriptions based on generic things.

Got you.

How do i get over the fact that I'm basically a prostitute and I'll never enjoy myself blowing these edgelords.

You alternate or use the one you feel is best according to your prerogative.

There is little really wrong with an npc healer, user, despite what Veeky Forums says.
Do remember this board is full of salty outliers, most of whom don't actually play pnp games or have no groups.
By cutting the chaff and finding new players.

Awesome! Glad to help user! :^)

I honestly don't know how to be a good DM

I write decent albeit generic plots, I have a wide range of NPCs which I express well and my ability to design and balance encounters is second to none

All the above is feedback I've had from my players, but they still don't enjoy my campaigns because I fail to engage them

I doubt there's any actual solution, I just want to be sad

can someone give me a 1:1 scale battle grid for D&D? I am making tokens to serve as miniatures and need comparisons.

Have you asked your players what they want to play? Sounds like you're running something they're not interested in, however good it is.

Try a new genre, maybe?

I see. So you need to go with abstraction and that's it. Thanks anyway.

>Are there any tips or tricks at improving my ability to describe things?
Remember that the characters have (at least) five senses.
When there might be interesting sounds or smells, include them once in a while.
Every time gets to be too much.

I've tried that, I've done a variety of different systems and never garnered more than a modicum of engagement

>Exalted
>oWoD Changeling
>oWoD Mage
>D&D 3.5/PF, 4e, 5e
>Traveller
>GURPS

You are the one insisting on a hexcrawl, and all pnp games require abstraction.
What exactly were you expecting, user, for the game to run itself? Shit like this is why the GM is here.
Most mats have 1"x1" squares.

Have they tried playing with anyone else? Maybe that's just what they're like as people

>all fairly high crunch systems
Why not run something low crunch?
Or honestly, look for different players. If the players you have are not engaging, they may simply be typical bear and pretzel players there to roll dice and fuck around, and that isn't exactly bad save when the GM is not.

If death is not a deterrent to taking stupid actions, then don't kill them.
Hurt them.
Disable them.
Make the natural consequences of their stupidity that they fail their task, lose resources, lose money, and lose what they do hold dear.

>if you could ask your PC's any questions, what would they be?
If you're just looking for character building questions, I cannot recommend enough the list of questions from the Complete Book of Villains.
It's a tad robust to expect a player to answer all of, but it's great to draw from.

I don't have just the list and the pdf of the book is too big for Veeky Forums, but it's definitely worth finding.

The other user is right about the dating questions making one think of erp.

I'm a new V:TM Storyteller.

Any good blogs about improving my gming, storylines, etc, not necessarily focused on oWoD?

Alternatively, Storyteller resources?

I was not being confrontational in any way, I thanked you, and I am so not expecting the game to run itself that I had to build up a ruleset for WFRP from zero just to allow this kind of game, to the point of overthinking it, like you stated.
I am just trying to see if there are workarounds I didn't think about.
Is it because of the /pol/ overflow in here that everyone is on edge?

Let me go in the opposite direction from the other user: what do YOU want to play?

GMing is an act of pure will. You take the most fundamental aspect of humanity, and mold a universe from it in your own image, you take the role of divinity and shape the future itself. This should not, no, it CANNOT be done by consulting others. You alone shape your destiny.

It will be hard. Others will force you to submit. They may tell you that you shouldn't do this or that or whatever. NO! You alone shape the destiny, you alone hold the power. Sieze it, and become that which you are meant to be!

>By cutting the chaff
Worst blow job advice ever.

First time GM, gonna run Mutants and Masterminds for a few friends. They gave me their character sketches and we'll start stating/fleshing them out next time we meet, but should I consult with them about the setting and tone of the story or just throw them into it?

They made very quirky PCs with very particular powers so I want to give them a world that suits them. Pic semi-related.

This.

Only dialed down from 11.
If you are not engaged in the game you can't expect your players to be. You can't make the perfect game for them, just make the best game for you and try and make it as great as possible for them.

Also, the players cannot be engaged in the game if there's nothing to engage with.
If every item has a simple, clear purpose, there is little to engage with.
If every NPC has a clear role as a provider of help or conflict, there is little to engage with.
If every location has a singular, clear reason for you to be there, there is little to engage with. Complexity and mystery breed engagement.
Increase complexity until your players begin to get lost, then ease back a little into something simpler.
Find a balance.

>should I consult with them about the setting and tone of the story
Always.
Everyone needs to be on the same page.

That said, don't feel you need to get into specifics.
The PCs, the setting, and the start of the story should be able to be summed up like the back of a DVD.

Nice post user, that's the true Veeky Forums spirit.

Will do, thanks. I'm a little intimidated since two of the players have years of experience in running and playing RPGs, while I only have maybe a few months of playing D&D to draw on.

This is an excellent post. Handing out a free (You) for visibility

Thanks for the anti-help

Take a basic course on improv theater. Trust me, it's indispensable.

Why are players such shits?

I'm gonna run a short low magic campaign tomorrow, on short notice. What do you guys think of this for low magic? The players are tasked by a great magician to find out why a star has stopped shining. They find an old ruin with a hole in the ground in the middle of a sort of shrine and it turns out some creature is crawling through the hole from the other side of the world. Just my first bare bones idea. The sun shines through the hole and projects onto the sky when it's on the other side of the world.

Should it be more mundane? My idea is that the world is more strange than it appears, and I think my players would like that, but maybe it ruins the whole idea of low magic. I dunno.

I want to run a low fantasy game with a focus on exploring a small continent that is a former colony that has declared itself sovereign. The PCs are from factions that have some stake in stopping the rebellion. I normally do games focused on a single large city but want this one to be more like a hex crawl, as the noncolony groups only have very rudimentary maps and knowledge of the area. But what do I put in all the wilderness besides combat encounters to make it more than just long travel times between settlements and resource management?

>I'm gonna run a short low magic campaign tomorrow, on short notice
As long as you aren't using D&D, it will be fine.
Take into account weather, ruins, the necessity of locating food and water.

That sounds fantastic, user.