Mtg Standard general

Didn't see one edition.

Are you building a new deck, upgrading an existing deck or just playing your old deck? Maybe even just a draft?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-04-17-gw-lifegain/
youtu.be/iMMs_YyVo8A
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/addendum-april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-26
channelfireball.com/articles/pro-tour-copycat/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jund-wide/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-04-17-OKf-jund-midrange/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Didn't see one edition.

Probably because nobody wants to talk about a three-deck format.

I still like to make dumb decks from time to time but with the Standard landscape right now I feel like it's almost necessary to have to beat those decks if you wanted to try to win something you made yourself. I want to run Rakdos Aggro but I know I have to tech in so many things just to counter Catcombo, Mardu Vehicles, GW Humans/Tokens, and that one guy who plays GB Delirium.

That said Amonkhet Sealed is the best draft format right now and I know my shop will be running that on release date, which leaves me excited to go this week. Can't say I'll play much Standard unless I get something together, though.

>That said Amonkhet Sealed is the best draft format right now

After partaking in 3 prereleases and prizing out and doing a couple drafts and doing well, I would argue that drafting it is soooooo much better. So many archetypes, I love it

Copycat wasn't banned so this thread is pointless.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-04-17-gw-lifegain/

do you rike it?

So what are you guys playing while you wait for copycat to be banned and Gideon to rotate out? I'm playing EDH.

Building a Nicol Bolas multiplayer EDH deck myself, sure am not giving WOTC any money.

I'm wondering if Veeky Forums can shittalk every Standard thread ignorant people or shills make to get the message through to all the players on the board that Standard is a shitshow.

I'd be interested if we could agree on something. Whoever thinks this isn't a dumpster fire is someone who I wouldn't want to have in any community.

It's up to three?

I'm guessing Mardu Midrange/Vehicles, Crazy Cat Lady and now Double Gideon

I recently built a deck that is basically just removal, but the more mana I have the more cunty the removal is, like using Kari Zev's expertise take an opponents cresture and then either bone splinters it to kill another of theirs, or use it to pay an emerge cost.

No it doesn't win any games, which is why I'm going to build a -1/-1 nest of scarabs deck because that's what I got in the prerelease and I went 2-1-1

Just play control

Yeah then I'll neck myself for being the worst kind of person.

>runs nothing but responses
>but control is bad

You're thinking of permission, user.
Permission is the reason Wizards keeps a muzzle on Blue.

You're right I am thinking of permission. But I don't play magic to win, I play to see the hatred in my opponent's eyes as I make his day worse.

youtu.be/iMMs_YyVo8A

Good as place as any to start

I wanna build UW embalm, splashing black for Rags to Riches and Start to Finish. Sadly standard is still looking horrible, with Vehicles and Cats stomping any possible opposition. Even the hate cards for either just slot into those decks to make them better against one another.

UR Drake Haven is real.

We all know how the format will evolve. Nobody is interested until the banhammer hits and when it does, it might be too late.

Call me crazy, but it works better against cat and cars then anything else I've tested.

Grapeshock

Main:
4 Aetherflux Reservoir
4 Dynavolt Tower
4 Galvanic Bombardment
4 Harness the Storm
4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Magma Spray
4 Pyromancer's Assault
4 Shock
4 Sweltering Suns
4 Tormenting Voice
20 Mountain

>Hazoret doubling in price

Knew I should have bought my playset when she was $3 a pop, guess people figured out that the card is actually fucking great

Are there any precons worth buying as a returning player?

I really don't like how we don't have decent answers to pw. Barely had good enough answers to creatures and now we have these new indestructible God's to deal with. There really isn't much in standard that's playable and good against the gods. At least I have a playset of blessed alliance and anguished unmaking to work with.

No, there used to be event decks that were halfway decent but wizards stopped that due to putting good cards in a sealed product hurting their bottom line

Burn from within is a card that removes indestructible.

What your board look like? I'm down for burn anytime.

I don't have one yet. I brewed that up at 12:00 last night. I reckon it'd just be some artifact hate and indestructible hate.

Dipping my toes back into modern (left when Twin got banned but my Melira deck is valid as ever) and powered cube as always. Hell I even drafted AMH twice, it's an okay format like every other recent standard format.

>lmao control players are the worst permission is so gay
>i dont play to win i play to trell my opponent xd

you must be 18 to post on Veeky Forums

>burn from within

Ah yes, let me just pay 5 mana at sorcery speed to destroy your 3 mana 5/4 that has already dealt 10 damage to me, presumably

>Are you building a new deck, upgrading an existing deck or just playing your old deck? Maybe even just a draft?
8 Gideon Saheeli combo

Rules question from sealed I never got to ask:

During the game, I used the Riches side of Rags // Riches to steal the opponent's only creature, Aven Initiate. Next turn, he plays Angel of Sanctions, exiling the Aven Initiate. Next turn, I play Vizier of Many Faces, copying Angel of Sanctions and exiling his Angel of Sanctions.

Now that his Angel of Sanctions is no longer on the battlefield, Aven Initiate returns to play; but under whose control? the owner's, or the player who was the controller when it was exiled? We asked the judge, and he had to look it up online. He decided that it came under my control since I had controlled it, but he didn't seem sure. Was he right?

I'm waiting for my GR Energy deck to arrive so I can hop back into the format.

Making energy and doubling power all day every day.

I think Rhonas as a 2 or 3 of could work well in the deck but no money.

I feel like you should be splashing for green or white to help with that.

Also soul scar mage should be in a burn list most definitely.

Was going to tell you to read the card but it looks like they stopped putting the reminder text on cards.
(That permanent returns under its owner's control.)

Welp, I stole a match then.

Will be W/R human aggro deck any viable?
Veeky Forums, in the main do you exchange one Gideon for one mountain?

2x Aether Hub
4x Always Watching
4x Bloodlust Inciter
4x Expedition Envoy
3x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4x Glory-Bound Initiate
4x Hanweir Garrison
4x Inspiring Vantage
4x Metallic Mimic
4x Mountain
4x Needle Spires
3x Outnumber
6x Plains
4x Thalia's Lieutenant
2x Thalia, Heretic Cathar
4x Village Messenger
sb:
2x Combat Celebrant
2x Gideon of the Trials
1x Glorious End
4x Harsh Mentor
2x Magma Spray
2x Make a Stand
1x Shock
1x Sweltering Suns

I'd probably play 3 mana Gideon and take out Thalia. You should be fast.

>midrange
>requiring more ability than an aggro deck

Hah.
One is constantly crunching combat math to get lethal as fast as possible. The other just looks at the board state, considers the four pieces of removal in hand, and decides if one needs to be cast.

If every aggro build had comparable complexity to affinity I would agree. You won't find that in standard

but affinity is not aggro :^)

I've not the possibility to try the Platinum Gideon but I think that the Gideon Ally in a build like this is strictly better.
Honored Crop-captain looks underwhelming

I hope so, I like this deck list. I am an advocate of Boros Humans in standard.
I've been running a W/R human aggro deck in standard for a while now. Very strong deck among those at my LGS. Does well against a variety of strategies, smashes cat combo with some sideboard action.

Easily integrated to Mardu with Unlicensed Disintegration & Fatal Push if need be.

Inventors apprentice with heart of kiran/metallic mimic for low mana cost power on the board early in the game. Build a presence with Gideon and Always Watching on the board with Glory bound Initiate for a major threat. Throw down Thalias Lieutenant whenever suits, preferably slightly later in game for a pump on all humans. Underestimated finisher with Hanweir Garrison Going wide with high levels of power and tokens. IF lucky enough can give him haste with Hanweir Battlements. In grindier games you can easily get off the Writhing Township meld.

Legacy (Big Red) and EDH (just finished Dralnu Doomsday)

Mostly Pauper, with EDH and Modern sprinkled in.

Really? I thought the amount of -1/-1 counters made indestructible really more of a navigable obstacle

What's wrong with Grasp of Darkness?

>This is what aggrobabbys actually believe

super-secret deck tech for Pummeler.dec

Can somebody explain to me why this glorious son of a bitch is pre-selling for $13? What am I not seeing?

I need to update my W/B lifegain deck a bit (which after the last rotation turned into more or less a Vampire tribal). The monuments look good for a little ramp as well as making some tokens to sac. Considering the white cartouche for similar reasons.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/addendum-april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-26

AHAHAHAHAHAHAPOIHGEPIOAHGPIOAWJHGPOIHAWGPIOAHWGPOIHWAGPOIWHGPIOWEHGIOHWEGPIOHSEPIOGHSDPOIHG

>There are cucks in this thread right now not playing copy cat
Lmao, why haven't you just killed yourself you poor worthless faggot

Well fuck me, time to go buy mardu vehicles

its a 5 drop 44 with flying and haste you can exert and deal 4 damage to something like scrapheap and its exiled. so it cant be brought back.

(you)

>Tfw my faggot friend bought into copy cat literally immediately after monday's ban announcement
>Tfw just texted him what is he going to do with his banned cards?

HAHAHAHAHA

It doesn't exile on kill.
I don't know, maybe I've just been trying to force these 4-5 mana dragons they put into all sets for so long with no results that I've become cynical. The last one I remember being this expensive was Stormbreath, and he was a mythic.

it is now

It gets banned on friday magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/addendum-april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-26

Also don't tell or encourage people to kill themselves you worthless faggot.

>CAT BRAINDEAD COMBO IS FUCKING DEAD

HAHAHAHAH FUCKING FINALLY ALL THOSE NETDECKING KEKS GETTING WHAT THEY DESERVE

FINALLY THE RETARDED CAT MENACE CAN END LMAO

>don't tell or encourage people to kill themselves
Jusr how new are you?

I think we all know who to thank for this

At least tell us nigger, if anyone hasn't read it yet CAT IS BANNED, THATS RIGHT WE'RE FREE! FUCK YEAH!

I think you mean our Lord and savior at channel fireball
channelfireball.com/articles/pro-tour-copycat/

Not 12 Giddions?

>Cat banned

NANI???

Nice format, Wizards
It would be a shame if somebody...
Played a 1 mana 3/2 into a 2 mana 4/4 flyer

apology for poor english

when were you when filmore cot dies

i was sat at home drinking standard tiers when WotC ring

'filmore is die'

'no'

and you?????????????

can you declare heart as an attacker if it isn't a creature at the start of declare attackers, the first part of the overall combat phase?

I really don't understand what beats Mardu vehicles now, like yeah copy cat is dead, what happens now? Mega Mardu vehicles dominating?

Do you even play standard? Do you even play magic?

At beginning of combat triggers happen before declare attackers. Toolcraft becomes 3/2 and then crews Heart before attackers are declared. This is how I understand it.

I usually see people activate manlands at the end of main phase, moving to declare attackers, so I was simply wondering. Eat a dick, nigga

>Decide to come back to standard
>Pic related happens

Now what. What the fuck.

never play meme decks again

Literally have no one to blame but yourself

Brewing some funky Jund shit.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jund-wide/
and
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-04-17-OKf-jund-midrange/

need cuts and tuning but yeah.

>Emergency ban just one day after data gathering
Someone explain this to me. Did they really want to see the data or are they using it as an excuse for the fuckup of not banning it yesterday?

In my experience Copycat only killed you with the actual combo about 40% of the time. At it's core its just a temur energy midrange deck with a white splash. Heck, in all the time I played against it I usually lost to thopter tokens off of whirler virtuoso instead of the combo.

Share your decklist, I'm sure we can figure out a way to make this work. The value you get off of Saheeli copying stuff is plenty.

Probably G/B constrictor decks. The only reason why Mardu was so good was it was the only deck that could reliably beat Copycat. With it gone all the other decks that had poor matchups will be able to return.

Plus there's a ton of artifact hate in standard now. Mardu is going to have to rethink their gameplan if they want to survive.

The thing is, the danger of dying out of nowhere was very real and forced people to keep mana open to answer the combo. The 4c saheeli deck just used that window to get a better board. And if they had the combo and the opponent tapped out, game over. It was a win-win scenario for saheeli pilots.

Now, watch saheeli dissapear from standard. She will live in modern from now on.

>Saheeli in modern
Lel

Seems like a reasonable excuse to me. If I were them, I'd like to make sure there was no other option before hitting the nuke button on a card, and therefore a deck.

But really, who cares. Saheeli winter is finished, and that's all that matters.

Don't know actually. I've been to Veeky Forums regularly in the past and taken breaks. Also does your use of the word "here" mean Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums? It doesn't really matter because I don't remember.

Good riddance to copy cat. now i can seventh sun in peace

yep that's pretty new

Veeky Forums. Encouraging people to kill themselves over ultimately retarded shit has been a tradition here since 2006.

Veeky Forums across all boards has the habit of telling people to kill themselves to the point where the weight of the phrase is nearly non existent and just found funny the rest of the time by others with similar humor.

force of will/mana leak reprint for hour of devastation wotc pls

>all the hate cards in amonkhet wasn't enough to keep cat down so they had to ban it

holy shit

>What we expected to take a few weeks to understand has ended up taking two days to form a clear picture of a metagame unbalanced by the Copy Cat combo, as even its natural predator, Mardu Vehicles, fell behind.

>Amonkhet could take down Mardu Vehicle but not Copy Cat

jesus christ

Guess which deck uses that artifact hate better than anyone else.

Yeah, such a slap to the face for wizards.

>Investing in cardboard

AHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Maybe the fucking problem is that you can run 4c 20 land goodstuff decks in fucking Standard because of how many mana fixings you've printed.

Whatever replaces cat is just going to be more 3/4 color piles of value cards.

Now that Saheeli Combo is banned, what would I use as sideboard against Sneks&Ballistas? Tons of removal and hope they don't go from snake to Rishkar? I am playing a B/R Vehicles deck, btw

Lol now you can go kill yourself Saheeli fag

>cat banned

I'm building dimir control with Kefnet and Gearhulk as the only creatures. What key spells do I need?

>Creatures:7
3 Kefnet the Mindful
4 Torrential Gearhulk

>Spells:28
4 Fatal Push
3 Essence Scatter
4 Grasp of Darkness
3 Negate
3 Pull from Tomorrow
3 Edifice of Authority
4 Void Shatter
4 Hieroglyphic Illumination