They won

My players ended their campaign tonight.

>Gather armies of the biggest factions in Fearun
>Meet for epic battle against demon hordes
>Fight their way through to the demon lords castle
>Fight their way though the whole castle to the final room
>Gaz'zt the demon lord orders his minions to attack as he makes his escape
>Players kill the minions and pursue
>Catch him entering a portal to the Abyss
>"Your armies have beaten my hordes. I will return one day for my vengeance."
players: "We charge after him. Through the portal."
me:"Its closing fast, you'll never make it."
players: "We go anyways."
me: "DC 25 athletics or acrobatics to get there."
>Fighter makes it.
me: *paniced* "Are you sure?"
fighter: "I want to beat this guy."
>Previously let fighter make an end game weapon
Weapon is an arrow that puts a portable hole into a bag of holding.
> Also has an imovable rod
>activates it
>shoots arrow
>hits
>Gaz'zt now lives in the astral plane
>Fighter now lives in the Abyss
>Gave hime 55,000 XP because he beat a demon lord and me.
>Rest of party gets the money loot and not being stuck in the abyss and the XP from the monsters
>only leave up to 6
>Fighter is now a 10.

I've never been so freaked out when a player ignored a "Are you sure"

Best high note I think I've ended a campaign on ever

If you are going by standard rules, getting that fighter out of the Abyss is pretty trivial in a couple of levels.

I smell an epilogue campaign coming!

Part two is in the works, but our college year is ending so we have a start point next fall.

level 6 seems like a kind of low level to be thwarting the forces of hell and rallying an army of the biggest factions of faerun

DESU that was kinda my fault for over estimating what a level 6 is, but I'm not going to back track because I'm a fuck up.

They were actually level 4

tfw I'm the fighter, any advice on how to get out of hell, (I need to get the HELL outta here)

Be as annoying as you can so they don't want you there

You know what that fighter is going to turn into, right?

>End of the campaign
>Big bad escapes through a portal

That seems like a bit of a dick move to me.

Oh dear

I was already thinking about giving him bonuses against demons like rangers get with prefered prey.
Well, it's a good thing that didn't happen.

> Weapon is an arrow that puts a portable hole into a bag of holding.
> Also has an imovable rod
Literally has never worked.

>Gaz'zt now lives in the astral plane
Why the fuck can a demon lord not just Plane Shift right back?

It's not like the Astral Plane is some remote location. It touches most of the planes.

Why would grazzt run from level 6s

Eh, it's more fun this way, and sure I can get him out easily, but taking away from a player's victory is rude.
Well, there was also 3 prominent armies at his gate. He wasn't just running from adventurers.

Yeah, couldn't he have wiped the floor with them in one turn?

Oh, easily. But played him like a cocky bad guy
"You're not worth my time" *Turns and leaves **ALMOST***

>Demon
Eh it's just some pitiful adventurers, not worth my time, imma go back and fuck some hell bitches
>fighter
Deus Vult mother fucker!

>Graz'zt gets sucked into the Astral Plane by a group of adventurers.

"You cheeky little fuckers amuse me. I'll let you have this one."
>Plane Shifts to Hell, finds the fighter. Puts one arm around his shoulders.

"Okay motherfucker, you get props for sheer balls on that one. In return, you work for me now."

>Waves over a group of succubi. Pushers his new "friend" over to them.

"Show him a good time. No life drain for now. I'll come by later to discuss the terms of your new employment."

____

Remember, demon lords are like half a step below divinity. They pretty much get to do as they please until they run facefirst into an Epic Level Party. That some lowbies actually managed to get one over on him would probably impress him a bit. Though now they've proven themselves /interesting/ to the Dark Prince, and that in turn will make things interesting for them. In the ancient Chinese proverb sense.

Please tell me it wasn't you who took a photo of your fucking screen.

Why do people do this?

Here's a non peasant version.

He sent in from his phone. I used the image he sent when describing it. I like the irony it adds.

>taking away from a player's victory is rude
Hell no.
About half of the most memorable and hilarious moments in my gamers were when NPCs actually maanaged to take away players' victory through some smart (and actually obvious in a hindsight) moves they didn't expect.

>Why do people take pictures of their screen?
Probably an upcoming meme.

>I think it's more fun when my NPC's win the game in the specific way I set out for the NPC to win
Okay

>He sent in from his phone
That...doesn't make any sense?

He sent, from his phone, a picture of an image he found on the internet?

Why didn't he just send you the image?

Well it looks like he was browsing on his computer and found it, wanted to show me real quick via text so he just took a picture.
That makes more sense than downloading the image, opening an email, and sending it (Never mind he doesn't have my email). It's not really that big of a deal.

>Graz'zt
>Hell

Pretty awesome ending for a campaign, and like the other guy said, now you've got a solid followup campaign. Beyond the obvious (rescue the fighter), you could have the beginnings of a story within the Abyss, in which demons presumably get pissed at the fighter and try for revenge after hes rescued.

I've never actually played an RPG like this, only Baldur's Gate series as well as part of NWN/PST, so I have no idea if these ideas are terrible.

Yeah, I caught that shortly after I hit "Post." At lest everyone here will understand what I actually meant. No reason to be a D&D pedant on Veeky Forums.

>stdh.txt

What did the immovable rod do in all this? Was it the arrow's shaft?

You already have the answer.
See:

To keep from being sucked in the Astral Plane himself, obviously.