Warhammer nostalgy

Not a newfag on Veeky Forums, but totally new on this board. here is the thing :

Back when I was 12, almost ten years ago (fuck that hurts) I used to play Warhammer the battle game, I had a Tomb Kings "army" (more like a bunch of bad-painted figurines). Recently I've started to regain interest for this game, looking at my old rules book. I wasnt thinking about playing with my old collection, damaged and hard to pain considering how bad I treated it by the past, but maybe start a new army. And then I learned that everything about WTBG was finished, a couples of years ago.
Now that this part of the GW series is discontinued, what would be your recommandations for someone that realy liked Warhammer back then, that have money to spend (not too much) and dont want to try a casual board game with no army logic and over-simplified rules ?

OP Here : Is Age Of sigmar any good ?

literally the best miniatures game on the market

Do you have a scat fetish?

Yes. It's a lot better than 8e Fantasy. People here are just mad about muh lore.

I started this hobby when I was seven. I remeber when tomb kings got their own army, when lizardmen got their updated look (the one with bony crests vs. alligator looking saurus). It blew my mind. Collected money and when I went to the local shop, had to decide between metal grave guards and a ork bike.

Now I have money to buy pretty much anything that I wish but no energy, time or most of my friends to play with.

Should have stayed as a store manager of local game shop but isntead I got greedy and ambitious.

I would have never believed that I would spend my time playing golf with Other salesmen, who I don't really feel connected to.

At least I can go talk about nerdy stuff from time to time with our developers and feel that bittersweet nostalgia.

Considering the Lore is the only reason anyone plays GW games (sure as fuck ain't the rules) that is no real surprise.

10/10

>Back when I was 12, almost ten years ago (fuck that hurts) I
I was 21 10 years ago and stopped playing warhammer for 10 years already by that point.

>52912557

I'm in a fairly similar boat. Memory of stuff I couldn't get when I was a kid or stuff I looked after so poorly they are totally trashed now.

Stopped playing 8 years ago or so but every now and then get an urge to look up long out of production stuff and get so tempted to drop far too much money on ebay.

AoS lore is more interesting and actually fantastical than Historical nations and events reskinnned with orcs and dwarves.

I'm 23, don't have hangups about my age, and enjoy the fuck out of sigmar. It is a faster paced, more tactically appealing, and therefore more challenging game than it's predecessor. And has a ton of flexibility for its miniature conversion, and it's rules are pretty solid.

Old fags, and shit Lords like to complain about it. Ignore them if you want to enjoy a good game with a lot of freedom to it.

No.

The models are subjective, but they look pretty awful to me. Overdesigned as collectors pieces not gaming pieces.

The rules are objectively bad, it is the fucking laziest skirmish game I have ever witnessed with such classics as 'double turns' and 'shooting in and out of melee combat'. Fucking tripe.

The background is young but as of right now it's pretty shit as well. Half the people who play it just ignore it and the silly naming conventions such as Orruks instead of Orcs and deathrattlers instead of skeletons.

My recommendation would be play Kings of War with your Warhammer miniatures.

Why do these people all have the need to play golf? Is thatsome unspoken tradition or something?

Have you even fucking played?

It's a game that even oldies can play and gives you a good chance to shoot the shit informally.

X-wing and Armada still exist even if you ignore them user.

If there is a group of AoS players locally, it's worth getting into.

Yes I have actually.

Have you ever played another skirmish game like Saga or Dragons Rampant? The only people who defend AoS are shut-ins who've never played another game.

Anyway, OP was talking about games like Warhammer, AoS is nothing like Fantasy so I assume he means rank and file games.

Was in your same spot OP, I found KoW and haven't look back at whfb ever again.

This would be my recommendation.

Keep your guys on single bases though so you can play skirmish games if the feeling ever takes you.